Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Wow. That's a whole lotta crap.

Side note: Is it normal for a foreign carrier to have an "N" reg?

Maybe it has something to do with the lease?

edit: has to be some weird tax thing, it’s owned by Delaware corporation “AIRCOL 25”, “AIRCOL 24” and 23 are other airbuses they operate and I’m not going to keep punching that in

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

From what I understand of how airliner ownership works, it is exceedingly rare for an airline to just own a plane outright in its own name and fly it. It's a giant hosed up spider web of leasing agencies and shell companies and piecemeal ownership and contract operators and codeshares and maintenance agreements.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

From what I understand of how airliner ownership works, it is exceedingly rare for an airline to just own a plane outright in its own name and fly it. It's a giant hosed up spider web of leasing agencies and shell companies and piecemeal ownership and contract operators and codeshares and maintenance agreements.

All to save $5 a year on taxes! :capitalism:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ avoiding formally importing something into another country can save you a ton of headache and taxes

I thought the actual airliner would be registered to GECAS or something and then they set everything else up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTpcctMNMYg

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I genuinely thought the controller was gonna finish the sentence "Sioux 753, make a 180° turn left and leave my airspace'

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Midjack posted:

All to save $5 a year on taxes! :capitalism:

And liability

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
For anyone who doesn't know the Phoenix area, the PHX class B is a special kind of hell where it's a minor miracle there aren't weekly mid-air collisions.

PHX itself is obviously busy, and it's surrounded by about a half dozen airports (all sitting under the PHX class B airspace shelf) that all have at least one flight school, most of which cater to foreign contract students with a grasp of English that's often somewhere between "tenuous" and "incomprehensible". The area is also surrounded by terrain, residential areas, and airspace that forces those flight schools to all share a relatively small number of very crowded practice areas, so it's pretty much barely controlled chaos.

simplefish posted:

I genuinely thought the controller was gonna finish the sentence "Sioux 753, make a 180° turn left and leave my airspace'

I've heard that happen when I was instructing at TUS, to a student from Transpac. The student absolutely couldn't follow basic altitude and heading instructions (to the point where there was a serious risk they'd mid-air someone), so after a few minutes of flailing around with the approach controller, the controller gave them a heading out of the airspace and told them not to come back without an instructor on board.

The student then responded to that by heading pretty much west from Tucson (Phoenix is north), so it took the controller another couple of minutes to get them heading back towards their base and not California.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 2, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, and since I just realized I posted this in the AIRPLANES!! thread and not the PILOTS!! thread, the student in that recording definitely should not be flying solo. I mean I'm not a CFI, I don't know how often you get someone who seems ready and then just totally freezes up in the air, but he's not even able to fly an assigned heading and he seems to have completely forgotten what a traffic pattern is. He definitely needs some remedial dual training

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

e - not the football thread

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, and since I just realized I posted this in the AIRPLANES!! thread and not the PILOTS!! thread, the student in that recording definitely should not be flying solo. I mean I'm not a CFI, I don't know how often you get someone who seems ready and then just totally freezes up in the air, but he's not even able to fly an assigned heading and he seems to have completely forgotten what a traffic pattern is. He definitely needs some remedial dual training

My experience instructing was that students pretty much always brain-dump to some degree on solos, so my job was to make sure they were at a point where they'd seen enough "non standard" stuff that they could either figure out what they were being asked to do, or were competent enough to ask for help if they didn't quite understand it.

The situation in the video was probably exacerbated by the way UND trains their students. From having instructed for them (although not in Phoenix) UND expects their students to absolutely 100% follow an absurdly regimented set of operating procedures (when I left, the manual that covered how to fly basic maneuvers in a Cessna 172 was somewhere around 400 pages), which leads to students running into situations that are outside the "UND bubble" and struggling a bit to figure out how to deal with something that isn't in the manual/SOP's.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

More than that - each engine is owned by a different spiders-web of shell companies, and spares are different shell-companies again.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The 737 MAX is back baby

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Postal posted:

More than that - each engine is owned by a different spiders-web of shell companies, and spares are different shell-companies again.

Speaking of which, how’s Trump’s 757 coming along?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

dupersaurus posted:

And liability

Nope the lease agreements almost certainly place liability on the lessee and also the lessor is probably wholly owned by the lessee. The reason likely has more to do with international trade issues than anything else. Possibly it is a corporate income tax transfer payments mechanism as well.

Current accounting standards require these leases to be capitalized on the balance sheet, but of course a subsidiary of the parent already would be. So it doesn't really reduce transparency.

I don't really grok why anyone would be upset by these legal arrangements. Oh no a big complicated business has big complicated legal structure. Okay?

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 2, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So what is the purpose of these big, complicated legal structures?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

azflyboy posted:

My experience instructing was that students pretty much always brain-dump to some degree on solos, so my job was to make sure they were at a point where they'd seen enough "non standard" stuff that they could either figure out what they were being asked to do, or were competent enough to ask for help if they didn't quite understand it.

When I did my first solo it was at Detroit City Airport which is Class D but so slow that we were usually the only plane there.

Except that after I took off alone a fleet of private jets from a visiting NFL team arrived. The controller gave me some instructions to go into a holding pattern which I had never heard before but from context clues I was able to figure it out and we all landed safely.

My instructor was very pleased with me. :smug:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mortabis posted:

I don't really grok why anyone would be upset by these legal arrangements. Oh no a big complicated business has big complicated legal structure. Okay?

Why is it complicated? It's a drat bus in the air. You pay for a ticket and it takes you from A to B. Whenever you see complicated legal structures, it tends to be artful dodging of taxes, worker's rights or other regulations. It's never for a wholesome, positive reason.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ola posted:

Why is it complicated? It's a drat bus in the air. You pay for a ticket and it takes you from A to B. Whenever you see complicated legal structures, it tends to be artful dodging of taxes, worker's rights or other regulations. It's never for a wholesome, positive reason.

Now I'm not going to go to the mat for international capitalism here but airliners are a lot more expensive than buses.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

They’re more like ships in the air, especially internationally. Even if you aren’t using a flag of convenience and using third world crews ship ownership is complex too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

Now I'm not going to go to the mat for international capitalism here but airliners are a lot more expensive than buses.

I won't disagree with that, but I don't see why a bigger number on the price tag demands splitting the company up, not employing pilots but hiring them on short term contracts from a "recruitment company" which you also happen to own etc.

hobbesmaster posted:

They’re more like ships in the air, especially internationally. Even if you aren’t using a flag of convenience and using third world crews ship ownership is complex too.

Nope. A ship is a single object and a ship owner can be a single entity. It could hardly be simpler. Where I come from there is a strong culture for small fishing operations, many of them are one guy with one boat. No need to get Bermuda involved. If it's complex, it is usually for the reason of dodging taxes, rights or regulations, not because the business operation demands it. It is so ingrained in shipping culture that we take it for granted. Sadly even some Norwegian car ferries that never sailed outside the coast have Caribbean flags.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

hobbesmaster posted:

More luxury than a ship really. More like a cruise-liner, but in the air.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Platystemon posted:

So what is the purpose of these big, complicated legal structures?

There is a vast universe of reasons why you might want to complicate the legal structure of your organization, but I'll give you a few examples here, some of which have been discussed obliquely:
1. Keeping the planes owned by a US entity may avoid having to deal with import-export rules in the countries the airline operates in
2. Keeping the planes owned by a Delaware entity allows some lawsuits to be dealt with in the Delaware court of chancery, which is a preferred litigation venue because of the large body of caselaw developed there. Many issues have already been resolved in Delaware courts and it makes the law clearer.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

flag of convenience and using third world crews
That poo poo is whack too, and just because it’s an industry’s MO doesn’t make it right. loving hell, shipping is a dumpster fire, the bar is literally on the ground.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Certain assets are generally held and transferred as legal entities because it's more than just the item but also the surrounding infrastructure, records, parts, agreements, etc.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ola posted:

There can be room for triggery in buses too. I've heard there are estonian charter buses running in FInland, driven by estonian crews and fueled in Finland by estonian tanker trucks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Saukkis posted:

There can be room for triggery in buses too. I've heard there are estonian charter buses running in FInland, driven by estonian crews and fueled in Finland by estonian tanker trucks.

Oh you are absolutely right. There is no business activity too small for shenanigans.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Midjack posted:

Aeronautical Insanity: Remember: If you gonna fly, dont lose your door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL3aFdFBwu0

Or if you do, at least try to have some equanimity about it

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
old & busted: backcountry flying YouTube

new hotness: cartel flying TikToks where your airspeed and most other instruments aren't working, but you sure do have a double-DIN DVD player installed

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mortabis posted:

There is a vast universe of reasons why you might want to complicate the legal structure of your organization, but I'll give you a few examples here, some of which have been discussed obliquely:
1. Keeping the planes owned by a US entity may avoid having to deal with import-export rules in the countries the airline operates in
2. Keeping the planes owned by a Delaware entity allows some lawsuits to be dealt with in the Delaware court of chancery, which is a preferred litigation venue because of the large body of caselaw developed there. Many issues have already been resolved in Delaware courts and it makes the law clearer.

The large body of business friendly caselaw you mean right

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

rscott posted:

The large body of business friendly caselaw you mean right

It's corporations suing each other, so no. If you, not a resident of Delaware, sue a Delaware company, that's a federal case via diversity jurisdiction.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

https://twitter.com/MaranieRae/status/1346672636835880961?s=20

Hol-ee poo poo...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

20 years for that.

quote:

49 U.S. Code § 46504. Interference with flight crew members and attendants

An individual on an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States who, by assaulting or intimidating a flight crew member or flight attendant of the aircraft, interferes with the performance of the duties of the member or attendant or lessens the ability of the member or attendant to perform those duties, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 20 years, or both. However, if a dangerous weapon is used in assaulting or intimidating the member or attendant, the individual shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Sagebrush posted:

20 years for that.

Got tense when I heard “NOW.” juxtaposed with “these are the people we came to wipe out!”

Was AA, what’s the likelihood of using the manifest and the video to punish any of these people? I would be absolutely horrified if I happened to be on that flight and they deserve it. Worst case cancel the return flight on them and leave em in DC.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Where are the doctor‐beating goons when you need ’em?

Oh wait. They are themselves fascists.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hellotoothpaste posted:

Got tense when I heard “NOW.” juxtaposed with “these are the people we came to wipe out!”

Was AA, what’s the likelihood of using the manifest and the video to punish any of these people? I would be absolutely horrified if I happened to be on that flight and they deserve it. Worst case cancel the return flight on them and leave em in DC.

American absolutely knows exactly who those people are, and they're well within their rights to ban them from travel with the airline, but they're probably so desperate for passengers that they won't do it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s what cartels are for.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

aphid_licker posted:

This is a cool video combining photos and computer graphics reconstructions of the cabin of the R-100 airship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-4P-6b3lFI

Kinda surprised at how many people they crammed in there.

Seems airships online is producing videos now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Seems airships online is producing videos now.

Would be a shame if someone started a youtube channel and beat them at their game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Department of Justice, Office of Public Affairs posted:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Thursday, January 7, 2021

Boeing Charged with 737 Max Fraud Conspiracy and Agrees to Pay over $2.5 Billion

The Boeing Company (Boeing) has entered into an agreement with the Department of Justice to resolve a criminal charge related to a conspiracy to defraud the Federal Aviation Administration’s Aircraft Evaluation Group (FAA AEG) in connection with the FAA AEG’s evaluation of Boeing’s 737 MAX airplane.

[...]

In and around November 2016, two of Boeing’s 737 MAX Flight Technical Pilots, one who was then the 737 MAX Chief Technical Pilot and another who would later become the 737 MAX Chief Technical Pilot, discovered information about an important change to MCAS. Rather than sharing information about this change with the FAA AEG, Boeing, through these two 737 MAX Flight Technical Pilots, concealed this information and deceived the FAA AEG about MCAS. Because of this deceit, the FAA AEG deleted all information about MCAS from the final version of the 737 MAX FSB Report published in July 2017. In turn, airplane manuals and pilot training materials for U.S.-based airlines lacked information about MCAS, and pilots flying the 737 MAX for Boeing’s airline customers were not provided any information about MCAS in their manuals and training materials.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/boeing-charged-737-max-fraud-conspiracy-and-agrees-pay-over-25-billion