Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I prefer the lego redesign. Better scale, probably half the price of the original. 2021 keeps getting more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The redesign is a much better scale and looks more affordable. The original design is a mess. Hopefully this will get people to be more realistic with what size their ideas set can be.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Hey guys, I have three big lego sets that have been sitting in the cupboard for years because of nowhere to put them. So now i'm thinking of selling them. They are
  • Sydney Opera House
  • Big Ben
  • Tower Bridge

How should i approach getting them ready for sale? Take them all apart, seperate each set of pieces into ziploc bags? I'm trying to do it without going crazy sorting a million bits.

I'm in Australia btw.

How much work do you want to put into it? My suggestion is if you want to put in minimal work take a photo of the item, list it on eBay for the price you want and say in the description that you don't know if all pieces are present or something in the description like "Picture shows what you are buying and condition." I wouldn't take it apart either. I'd just put it in a trash bag, tie it tight, and box and send it. That is the lowest effort you can put into it to get rid of it. The most effort you can do is take photos, take it apart backwards from the instructions and bag everything numbering the bags, and more photos of the bags, then sell that. For big sets like this the price difference between these two effort levels is probably sub $20 in your pocket. If you think all of that effort is worth the extra little bit of money then I say go for it.

It's different when it's sets older than these. Sets from before 2010 you get a lot more money for doing the later effort of making sure every piece is present.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Those new art sets again look great though they cover themes i don‘t have interest in.
The day they release a theme that is must-have for me will be a dark day

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

smackfu posted:

I guess trying to order stuff at midnight was a bit pointless since everything I wanted is still in stock this morning and the site is running fine.

I can add it to my cart which is nice, but it still says $0 and won't let me get past putting in my shipping info.

Lamp Commander
Jan 1, 2006

davebo posted:

I can add it to my cart which is nice, but it still says $0 and won't let me get past putting in my shipping info.

I had this same problem. I tried several browsers on my phone and computer with no success getting past the shipping info and my cart kept saying $0 over the course of multiple tries/hours. I did the following and it finally worked. I don't know that you need all of these steps, but I'm gonna include them because I don't know which one magically solved my problem. I did all the initial steps using Chrome on my PC and only did the final submit/purchase button on my phone because for some reason the Chrome browser on PC wasn't loading the credit card section to type in numbers. I hope this helps.

Empty cart of all items.
Log out of Lego.com.
Close tab and open new tab.
Go to Lego.com but do not log in to your account (I did this via shop through chase to get card points, but I don't think coming from the chase website was the key part).
Add desired items to cart (at this point I saw that my cart total was a number other than $0).
Log in to account and proceed normally (my cart still read the right total after logging in).
Purchase.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
That worked immediately in Firefox on PC, thanks!

Edit: got an e-mail that they're out of stock and should be shipped by Jan 21

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 1, 2021

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Managed to place an order for the Bonsai Tree set so I'm happy.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Sorry for pod spam, but I reworked the design today for a more clamshell like look.

It's chunkier but I think I like the 3x3 dish piece too much to go back.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^^Nice!

The_Doctor posted:

Big oof time.

The original Ideas Medieval Blacksmith submission:

What’s coming:

I had a split second were I had a bad reaction, but count me in as another who likes the Lego one better. Or at least something I'm more likely to buy. The original is a huge, nice looking MOC, but it would have been like $300+. The Lego one is gorgeous and looks like it will be in the $100 realm which makes it way more of a buy for me.

And like other have pointed out, without the context of the original ideas sub, people would have gone apeshit for how good that set is. Like, if it was just released under the creator line or something it would be absolutely hype.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also I just think the Lego one is designed much better. Better use of color and texture without an over reliance on shambled, crooked tiles, which is a technique I like but I think is being over used by MOC builders atm.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I also wonder if the original one had issues with fragility? I've seen a few MOCs of that style in person and you can barely breathe without something falling off.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Sorry for pod spam, but I reworked the design today for a more clamshell like look.

It's chunkier but I think I like the 3x3 dish piece too much to go back.
Duuuuude, that's amazing. Love the shaping with the 3 x 3 dish. Mini ball joints save the day again!

Gonna stream again tonight in a couple hours! First one of the new year! We're gonna do something new (and silly), too: gonna try 15 minute build challenges based on chat suggestions. We'll see how it goes!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Duuuuude, that's amazing. Love the shaping with the 3 x 3 dish. Mini ball joints save the day again!

Cheers! Instructions here for anyone interested.

Carbohydrates posted:

Gonna stream again tonight in a couple hours! First one of the new year! We're gonna do something new (and silly), too: gonna try 15 minute build challenges based on chat suggestions. We'll see how it goes!

Don't sleep on this folks, always a great watch. Anyone wanting to up their stud.io game should definitely tune in. LEGO's weird rear end, half-plate geometry tricks finally clicked for me during one of the first streams.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 2, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That blacksmith set makes me think that if Lego ever went in on a medieval line that was comparable to the modulars I would hopelessly buy all of them.

I'm still bummed castle in the woods didn't get approved. I think that was my favorite submission to reach 10k

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

veni veni veni posted:

That blacksmith set makes me think that if Lego ever went in on a medieval line that was comparable to the modulars I would hopelessly buy all of them.

I have no money but I would find a legal or illegal way to fund collecting those

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I'm still bummed castle in the woods didn't get approved. I think that was my favorite submission to reach 10k

I wasn’t a fan of this one but given how they improved the blacksmith submission I would now like to see their take on it.

The problem a lot of Ideas suffer from is being hopelessly unrealistic with part count to achieve the level of impressive detail required to get people to vote for it.

Some good new stuff on the site, my only gripe is the curiously named Aedelsten Deluxe is too good to be limited to a GWP- like many others (minifig scale Batmobile comes to mind) would be nice to have the option to purchase it outright for convenience sake. I doubt it will be in stock by the time I make my next purchase on the 14th, but I’ll get it secondhand or part it out if need be.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

100% agreed, castle in the woods is my favorite ideas submission, closely followed by the Breath of the Wild Stables.

There’s a guy on r/lepin who’s working on a really spiffy castle type modular series

They’re basically designing a series of individual sets that interlock together, such as walls, gates, barracks, village, etc

I think the idea is that if you can get enough pre-orders, you can work with some of the bootlego distributors to source the bricks and release sets, and this seems like it would be an excellent candidate

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Finished the Saturn V. Last bag wasn't as interesting as the others technically but putting the small sidebuilds at the end made a lot of sense since they happen after the rocket has done its thing.

The design is amazing and it took a lot of ingenuity to look as simple and elegant as it does.

Went through this video with my daughter afterwards to see how everything separated and what all the parts did.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Really? I thought the castle in the woods was squat, ugly, and boring.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I was looking forward to Castle in the Woods too, although I wasn't married to the original design and was hoping for a Barracuda style revamp.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Nothing touches Black Knights Castle. They should just do a PoBB-esque reboot of that.

Lord help me, I just paid $11 for a single black parrot. The little guy only appears in one castle set from 1990!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Police Station, Bonsai and Bouquet are all backordered now. Took less than a day.

I like that new blacksmith. The first one just looked too busy. It went from a not buy to a maybe buy for me.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Coming to the close of my Lego week. Today I got to open up my favorite sets ever; Aquanauts and Aquasharks themes. I am lucky enough to own every set from these two sub themes. The best part is building the Neptune Discovery Lab; https://brickset.com/sets/6195-1/Neptune-Discovery-Lab. For me personally, it is the best set ever created, but my view is colored by nostalgia. Unfortunately these sets have been boxed up for over five years. I was in a house I didn't really care for and didn't want my favorite sets to see the inside of that house. Not the most logical reason, but it's the reason I got. Now I'm in a house I love so I was keen on getting them out. It's late tonight so I'll get them into the display case tomorrow.

Bonus of breaking these sets out of their box is there were three sets in that box I'm keen on selling as part of the purge. I think I am finished identifying sets to be selling so I'm super pumped about that. If I can get every set I want sold I will be ecstatic.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Honestly I just wanted any castle Lego and I'll probs buy that blacksmith.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I think I'm going to build this when I eventually finish it. I'm not sure if I want to keep the checkered tiles but like the effect of a few of them removed, like it's been worn down a bit. The hull interior also needs to be filled in and there are a few ideas kicking around, and it needs landing skids too. The Space Police III officers, Galaxy Trooper minifig and UFO drones will man this. Also that Blacksmith set is awesome!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Definitely keep the checkered look.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

fappenmeister posted:

I think I'm going to build this when I eventually finish it. I'm not sure if I want to keep the checkered tiles but like the effect of a few of them removed, like it's been worn down a bit. The hull interior also needs to be filled in and there are a few ideas kicking around, and it needs landing skids too. The Space Police III officers, Galaxy Trooper minifig and UFO drones will man this. Also that Blacksmith set is awesome!

Very cool, very chunky. Can't wait to see what you do with the interior!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Straight White Shark posted:

Really? I thought the castle in the woods was squat, ugly, and boring.

You think this is ugly and boring?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
...you don't? It's a squat, dense cube with some moderate greebling. At a minimum, it certainly pales in comparison to either version of the blacksmith.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey I know it frazzled you, but thanks for taking on my lighthouse idea. I really liked what you came up with, for that and others. It's super cool seeing you flex your talent for design with crowdsourced ideas.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It was a fun watch, but also anxious af. Something nice and relaxing before the next mad time crunch episode, yeah?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Earth posted:

Coming to the close of my Lego week. Today I got to open up my favorite sets ever; Aquanauts and Aquasharks themes. I am lucky enough to own every set from these two sub themes. The best part is building the Neptune Discovery Lab; https://brickset.com/sets/6195-1/Neptune-Discovery-Lab. For me personally, it is the best set ever created, but my view is colored by nostalgia. Unfortunately these sets have been boxed up for over five years. I was in a house I didn't really care for and didn't want my favorite sets to see the inside of that house. Not the most logical reason, but it's the reason I got. Now I'm in a house I love so I was keen on getting them out. It's late tonight so I'll get them into the display case tomorrow.

Bonus of breaking these sets out of their box is there were three sets in that box I'm keen on selling as part of the purge. I think I am finished identifying sets to be selling so I'm super pumped about that. If I can get every set I want sold I will be ecstatic.

OK, this is finally the post that is going to make me drag my childhood LEGOs out of the attic (I am a lapsed LEGO fan who is just returning to it in this past year). All the previous space posts got me jonesing for my blacktron2/M-tron/space police/Ice Planet stuff, but goddamn, remembering Aquanauts puts me over the edge. I have to dig this stuff out before I finish the ISS sitting on my dining table.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Nth Doctor posted:

Hey I know it frazzled you, but thanks for taking on my lighthouse idea. I really liked what you came up with, for that and others. It's super cool seeing you flex your talent for design with crowdsourced ideas.

Lizard Combatant posted:

It was a fun watch, but also anxious af. Something nice and relaxing before the next mad time crunch episode, yeah?
Hey, thanks for the feedback! This was kind of a one-off; I certainly don't intend to do intense time crunch challenges all the time. Thing is, I kind of enjoy a bit of positive, motivating stress, and I wanted to see what I could do with LEGO under that pressure. This is definitely not the new norm, though, just some New Year's fun.

Anyway, here's what we made on the stream today! The premise was people would pitch me semi-specific ideas (nothing too vague like "a house") and I got 1 minute to search for reference images, then 15 minutes to build. They also have to be possible models, so no cheating, no impossible connections, no nonexistent colors, etc. Sorry I didn't think to note the specific people who gave me the ideas!

1) A lighthouse (on a desolate rocky island). Super fun. I spent about 8 minutes on the tower of the lighthouse and was really struggling to finish the rock work on time.

2) An amplifier stack. The most fun, because of familiarity with the subject matter. Had an extra minute and a half at the end so I added some transparent orange vacuum tubes you can see from the back. Someone absolutely insisted it had to have an effects loop, also.

3) A stand mixer, specifically a Kitchenaid and in a cute/special color, so not white/gray/black/red/anything easy. I chose this suggestion because it sounded super hard, with all the curves/arches/angles. Not the cleanest build, but on a time crunch you gotta just go with the first idea you have and see it through.

4) A Minotaur. Again, I chose this because it sounded really difficult. You guys probably know I do not do characters/sculpture/organic builds, so this felt like it would be a good challenge.

5) A 50's television set. Kinda screwed myself on the scale here. It's a bit too big, and therefore I didn't quite finish it - it's missing some height below the knobs, there. Almost!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

The Child floating pram is absolutely brilliant, what a bloody drat good job. Love those little mini sets too, Carbohydrates!

I'm not really good at interiors. A little vehicle like the small boxes from the 80s, and trying to make safety harness things for the first time. I may add a few spare helmets, a crate, some barrels etc later on.

Edit: here's some of the changes, much more what I had in mind when wanting to make harnesses.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 2, 2021

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My dad got me the haunted house for Christmas, and my sister got me the hub and motor to make the elevator remote controllable. However, it turns out it takes two motors. We live together, so I have to find a way to sneakily get one so I don’t embarrass her.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why would that embarrass her? Just say "oh, looks like it needs another one, I'll just order it"

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

ROJO posted:

OK, this is finally the post that is going to make me drag my childhood LEGOs out of the attic (I am a lapsed LEGO fan who is just returning to it in this past year). All the previous space posts got me jonesing for my blacktron2/M-tron/space police/Ice Planet stuff, but goddamn, remembering Aquanauts puts me over the edge. I have to dig this stuff out before I finish the ISS sitting on my dining table.

Glad to be an inspiration. I'm not a huge space fan. In fact I'm getting rid of most of my Blacktron sets as I didn't have them as a kid and I honestly just don't have enough space to display this many sets. Ice Planet I don't really consider space; I mean, they're on an icy planet and that isn't space, right? According to Brickset I am wrong though. They have all of those, blacktron2/M-tron/space police/Ice Planet, listed as Space sub themes.

Selling continues to go well. Another order packed and waiting for payment. I got this listed to eBay yesterday: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284134642057?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649. Today I hope to get photos of my Space Police 2, them taken apart to make sure they're complete, and get those listed on eBay as well. Listing those on eBay over BrickLink as I can sell them as a group and it looks like I'll be able to get a little more money that way. Also, it looks like I'm going to have to sell my Black Pearl and Black Seas Barracuda on eBay since I haven't found the missing pieces yet. BrickLink buyers are generally worse than eBay buyers when it comes to missing pieces.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

These are all really rad, but in my half-awake state, this just totally looked like a goofy monster face. (four eyes and two teeth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
In case anyone besides me likes some of the Brickheadz animals, there's a cat+kitty combo available now. Also for the dog people there's a dog+puppy. They're both $15.