Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

probably less than 50 marines total. it was fuckin thorough.
e: not all the loyalists were on istvaan, though, especially from the four Drop Site Massacre legions.

Yeah I guess I should clarify and ask how many traitor legions loyalists survived the heresy itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah I guess I should clarify and ask how many traitor legions loyalists survived the heresy itself?

How many Dark Angels are there?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

thocan posted:

Wholly with this take. The random warbands ooze flavor and story potential. The second I saw Corvus Cabal spoiled I knew I was buying into the game just for those models.
They have tempted me alright. A friend wants to try convert them for use in Necromunda as some weird underhive cult.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

How many Dark Angels are there?

What are you talking about? They're the most loyal loyalists who ever swore loyalty to their loving loyal liege.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm a pretty big Undivided guy, at least of the more 'religious" type like the Word Bearers so this is extra incentive to read the story. I was asking about if AOS had an equivalent to a Dark Apostle and was told it does have priests and the like. Warshrines, Slaughterpriests, etc..

I'm just a fluff and lore reader for most things but AOS might be the first thing I actually try to learn to play. It made me curious where GW's revenue mostly comes from because as expensive as all the novels can get when added up together, these single sets of figures and the like are way, way more expensive.

Got some other novels to recommend. (Cause I got them all in a bundle of well received AoS books)

Soul Wars, Rulers of the Dead, Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows, Overlords of the Iron Dragon, Hamilcar: Champion of the Gods, Hallowed Knights: Plague Garden

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arcsquad12 posted:

In canon they don't go over a whole ton but the fact that more keep on popping up leads me to believe it's a fairly decent amount. You also have the ones who aren't loyalist who basically just say "gently caress all yall" and go renegade.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Renegades are interesting to me. Not all of the Red Corsairs are chaos devotees. Some of them just really, really like being pirates and they launch balls out homicidal raids on enemy ships to hijack them for the fleet.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Arcsquad12 posted:

How many loyalists within the traitor legions actually survived Istvaan III? I know at least one group of Iron Warriors were taken in by the Ultramarines and the Death Guard who fled on the Eisenstein joined with Malcador to form the proto inquisition Ordos.

It's a little weird because not all the strength of the traitor Legions were at Istvaan III.

Barnabus of the Iron Warriors first learned of the Heresy when a group of traitor IW came to his fortress at some outpost, he said no thanks and held out under siege until he could lure them far enough in to collapse his own fortress on the siegers, then escaped and hooked up with the Ultramarines. (The Silver Skulls are thought to be Guilliman arranging for that particular group of Iron Warriors to be concealed as purported Ultramarines).

Quite a few loyalists were still on Terra as part of an honor guard and kept in captivity out of worries about their loyalty. Malcador recruited several loyalists into his personal strike force, the Knights Errants, including 1k Sons, World Eaters, Death Guard, and Luna Wolves.

Even the Word Bearers, who had been purging their ranks for years even prior to Istvaan III, still had some measure of loyalists within their ranks (not to offer spoilers, but see Apocalypse from the Space Marine Conquests series).

The main thing is that the surviving loyalists either got really lucky or were in some far flung location at the time, and probably numbered in the two or low three digits after.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

What are you talking about? They're the most loyal loyalists who ever swore loyalty to their loving loyal liege.

Look, just take yourself, and a complete list of all the friends you've shared you're wacky theory with, over to that Dark Angels Chaplain and he'll clear this misunderstanding right up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JIo195gIe0

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Oh yeah I forgot that there a at least one or two chapters that likely have foundations with loyalist elements of traitor legions.

I really really want a novel about that one chapter of loyalist marines that apparently have the staying power of plague marines.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 1, 2021

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Telsa Cola posted:

I really really want a novel about that one chapter of loyalist marines that apparently have the staying power of plague marines.

Iron Hands have a few good novels imho

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Iron Hands have a few good novels imho

We get it.

I looked it up and it's the Sons of Antaeus.

They are also apparently loving massive and if I got some scale stuff right in armor they are all likely terminator sized.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 1, 2021

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Were there any traitors from loyalist legions?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

NihilCredo posted:

Were there any traitors from loyalist legions?

Sure, the clearest case is the Dark Angels, with almost half of the legion rebelling.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Angry Lobster posted:

Sure, the clearest case is the Dark Angels, with almost half of the legion rebelling.

Oh. Duh.

Ok, other than Luther's guys? I think there were a few White Scars who wanted to side with Horus or something, but IIRC the Khan immediately stomped them and made them redeem by suicide mission.

Can't think of other examples, but it seems odd that seven out of nine loyalist legions would have precisely zero traitors. Might make sense for the Raven Guard and Salamanders who got utterly decimated, but not the others.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pretty sure one of the HH campaign books says nearly every legion had marines that threw in with Horus.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

NihilCredo posted:

Oh. Duh.

Ok, other than Luther's guys? I think there were a few White Scars who wanted to side with Horus or something, but IIRC the Khan immediately stomped them and made them redeem by suicide mission.

Can't think of other examples, but it seems odd that seven out of nine loyalist legions would have precisely zero traitors. Might make sense for the Raven Guard and Salamanders who got utterly decimated, but not the others.

I think that all traitors from loyalist legions were either squashed early or just not not shown at all. Aside from the White Scar lodge thingie, I recall one Blood Angel turning traitor in Fear to Tread and one Raven Guard traitor in a Night Lord short story (can't recall which one, sorry), maybe they just decided to show the loyalist in the traitor legions, which is far more dramatic.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Guyver posted:

Pretty sure one of the HH campaign books says nearly every legion had marines that threw in with Horus.

Yeah, they just don't get much screentime for whatever reason

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I would bet that every loyalist legion had some traitors but probably very very few in most cases. Wouldn’t surprise me to see some blood angels falling to khorne, some ultramarines corrupted over the course of the shadow crusade, etc. I’d expect the drop site legions to have few or no traitors because there were so few left and they were bonded by the experience of being almost wiped out.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Holy poo poo, that Death of Hope thing actually got released in July and I've only just noticed it's existance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9wV2sGlXjY

Probably the only one in this thread who the algorithm somehow didn't already point it at me but I thought I'd point it out anyway as I couldn't see any discussion of it back in July.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It was released and I think most people were still criticizing it for trying too hard to be edgy at the expense of storytelling. It dropped off the map in the thread pretty quick compared to Helsreach or Astartes.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was released and I think most people were still criticizing it for trying too hard to be edgy at the expense of storytelling. It dropped off the map in the thread pretty quick compared to Helsreach or Astartes.

I also think that the author abandoned it after taking those criticisms to heart.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I did like the super old skool Terminator.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Deptfordx posted:

I did like the super old skool Terminator.

The big rolly polly ones with the turret on their shoulder hump?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

https://youtu.be/x9wV2sGlXjY?t=369

'Pauldrons? Nah son, these are pauldrons.'

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 2, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsterEnvy posted:

Overlords of the Iron Dragon

Was reading this and encountered a Tzeentch Fatemaster Warlord who thinks Tzeentch bullshit is stupid.

quote:

Thinking of Khoram brought a malignant gleam to the warlord’s eyes's. He didn’t care for his sorcerer’s campaign of shadowy manipulation, depending upon the duardin to act in such a manner that it was to the benefit of Tamuzz’s cult. There were too many things that might go wrong, too much that was left to chance. The Orb of Zobras might have shown Khoram the most favourable designs to steer events, but Tamuzz was prepared to trust its prophecies only so far. In the end the orb hadn’t revealed to Zobras how to save his little empire from the grasp of Chaos. Neither was he certain the relic wouldn’t be as capricious with Khoram.

This was the method by which Tamuzz preferred to work; direct coercion and control of the victim. Too much subtlety, too much reliance on trickery, was a pitfall that had undone many a scheme. The craft and cunning of those who served the Changer were renowned but at times they could become a double-edged sword. A plot could become overly complicated, the goal lost amid a tangle of needless intrigue. Safeguards against a thousand unlikely possibilities could weigh down a plan until it advanced at a snail’s pace and was overcome by its own inaction.

Tamuzz would not let that happen, not when so much was expected of him. He would do more than influence the decisions of the duardin. He would seize their ships, force them to his will. Then there’d be no ambiguity, no question of how the Kharadron would act. They would be commanded by Tamuzz and guided by his will. If another of the Changer’s cults learned of it, then that was a challenge that would be dealt with in its own time.

Despite this outlook both him and his sorcerer die in humiliating ways.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just as planned

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Chaosin' ain't easy

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

The big rolly polly ones with the turret on their shoulder hump?

Would have been nice to see them in action. Some cool visuals but a whole lot didn't actually happen in that vid.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

How many loyalists within the traitor legions actually survived Istvaan III? I know at least one group of Iron Warriors were taken in by the Ultramarines and the Death Guard who fled on the Eisenstein joined with Malcador to form the proto inquisition Ordos.

Very few who were present at the massacre survived but there were smaller traitor legion units scattered across the galaxy and some of those stayed loyal. Many would go on to become part of the proto-Grey Knights.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
has there been a major change in Inquisitor fluff over the past 5 years? Or is it still generally Hereticus/Xenos/Malleus with lots of leeway for each Inquisitorial cell to operate?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Would have been nice to see them in action. Some cool visuals but a whole lot didn't actually happen in that vid.

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work that went into that video (I've only just seen it for the first time now)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Lily Catts posted:

has there been a major change in Inquisitor fluff over the past 5 years? Or is it still generally Hereticus/Xenos/Malleus with lots of leeway for each Inquisitorial cell to operate?

In theory, Inquisitors operate with absolute authority, answerable only to the Master of their Ordo, and the High Lords of Terra. The problem being this includes authority to prosecute other Inquisitors, so the organisation spends 60% of it’s time undertaking it’s duties, 20% following pet projects (read: Dicking about and/or obsessing over minutiae) and 20% infighting because they disagree on how to be the Inquisition.

It’s a true court of popular opinion - You can get away with literal genocide as long as a bunch of other Inquisitors are willing to say you did the right thing (and sometimes they might even believe it.)

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Lily Catts posted:

Not really a change but we've now seen the canonical creation of the Inquisition in Saturnine Dorn actually formed the order as a new version of Rembrancers. Technically their authority comes from the Praetorian of Terra and their mission is to record and preserve the truth of mankind's history so our past and culture are not forgotten, with discretion regarding what should be disclosed to the general public. Obviously this has gotten a bit out of hand.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

MrNemo posted:

Not really a change but we've now seen the canonical creation of the Inquisition in Saturnine Dorn actually formed the order as a new version of Rembrancers. Technically their authority comes from the Praetorian of Terra and their mission is to record and preserve the truth of mankind's history so our past and culture are not forgotten, with discretion regarding what should be disclosed to the general public. Obviously this has gotten a bit out of hand.

And history is repeating itself with Guilliman in the Indomitus crusade creating a historian corps.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Seems very likely that they are selling a lot more novels than mini sets, getting an army going is a much bigger commitment than grabbing the occasional ebook.

Lol not at all.

To detail: the combined Warhammer imprint is worth 3 times as much as the entire British Fishing Industry. Games Workshop has been the fastest-growing (European) stock this century, and the company has been on an insane upwards run the last 3 years running, with demand for kits and hobby/paint outstripping production capacity.
Citadel paint's Contrast release probably has higher overall sales than the entire Black Library run combined over the last 10 years.

I'm saying this as someone approaching it from the business side rather than any sense of fanboyism. Publishing brings in so little money to a place like this, the real benefit is people reading about cool characters and kits and wanting to build them.

The numbers of new warhammer players, even before Covid hit, was weirdly high. Even if they don't stick to the hobby- a single starter purchase is around $180-260, assuming maybe 1/5 stick with it, you still have a ton of initial kit sales. Throw in the fact that most players not only play multiple armies but also throughout multiple systems and you have an average purchase of maybe 3/4 kits per quarter. I'd say the amount of hobbyists or players vs Black Library readers is a lot higher than you think.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 4, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah even if BL technically makes a profit they see it as a loss leader. They understand how important lore is to driving tabletop sales and bringing in new players. The new management taking this to heart is why we are getting the new animation division and things like an Eisenhorn TV show.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the new focus on BL is part of a larger initiative by Games Workshop called Project Pull Our Heads Out Of Our Asses. for a long time they had basically no idea who their customers were or why anyone bought the poo poo they sell ("tiny, jewel-like objects of wonder"), they just threw poo poo at the wall and passingly noted what stuck. lately they've realized that they can actually sell more plastic dollies if people give a poo poo about them, which is a big realization and only took them several decades, so there's been a concerted push to Do Something with the [3/4]0k IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Immanentized posted:

Lol not at all.

To detail: the combined Warhammer imprint is worth 3 times as much as the entire British Fishing Industry. Games Workshop has been the fastest-growing (European) stock this century, and the company has been on an insane upwards run the last 3 years running, with demand for kits and hobby/paint outstripping production capacity.
Citadel paint's Contrast release probably has higher overall sales than the entire Black Library run combined over the last 10 years.

I'm saying this as someone approaching it from the business side rather than any sense of fanboyism. Publishing brings in so little money to a place like this, the real benefit is people reading about cool characters and kits and wanting to build them.

The numbers of new warhammer players, even before Covid hit, was weirdly high. Even if they don't stick to the hobby- a single starter purchase is around $180-260, assuming maybe 1/5 stick with it, you still have a ton of initial kit sales. Throw in the fact that most players not only play multiple armies but also throughout multiple systems and you have an average purchase of maybe 3/4 kits per quarter. I'd say the amount of hobbyists or players vs Black Library readers is a lot higher than you think.

That's pretty crazy / cool, thanks!