Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Kragger99 posted:

There’s a few ways I help deal with what your describing above:
1. YOU are NOT alone. There are millions if not billions of people doing what you are, making the right decisions. You never see them, because they rarely go out of their homes. You are mostly seeing the people that don’t. If you are not a front line/essential service worker, you are being a hero of sorts by doing the right things and protecting others with your actions.

2. Humans default to their “fight or flight” systems when facing a threat.
You can’t run from something you can’t see, so I feel the people that fall into the flight grouping just try to ignore it all, and tell themselves it’s not a threat, or “it’s not that bad”. The threat is so great to their personal freedoms that they take (possible unconsciously) the selfish route.

People that fall into the fight category (you and me), choose to educate themselves, choose to search out the facts, choose to isolate, and when we do go out (groceries/medicine/forced to go to work) we choose to wear a mask, social distance, make indoor shopping visits as short as possible, wash our hands, etc. We are choosing to protect ourselves and others. WE are the compassionate ones.

3. I also tell myself this everyday:
Would I feel worse than I do right now if I let my guard down, even a little, and got sick/put others at risk? The answer is always a resounding YES. So I take pride in the right decisions I choose to make.

It’s hard to make the right choices as we can’t see the impact we’re making, because it’s drowned out by all the people making poor decisions mainly because their brain tells them to as part of their built in threat response system.

I don’t know you at all, but I respect you, and applaud your decision to make the right choices. Many other people share in this as well. You are one of the good ones, and please keep up the fight. You are not alone, and many people WILL benefit from your correct decisions, even if they don’t realize it.

Much like the others, this got my head in check. Thank you so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Thinking about thos vaccine ampules

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

poverty goat posted:

can we call it the england virus now

Boris-19

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My wife is at university doing nursing and every ward in her hospital has covid. Pretty loving mental.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Got my first Moderna dose about an hour ago. Felt it going up into my neck which was weird

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

coronatae posted:

Got my first Moderna dose about an hour ago. Felt it going up into my neck which was weird

My coworkers had sore arms, I had a few hours of occasional chills and about a day or so of feeling achy. The shingles vaccine caused me more discomfort.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I have too many friends and acquaintances saying they're not gonna take the vaccine. Some of them are afraid of side effects — and I mean, sure, side effects suck. But not getting covid-19 under control sucks more.

They get pissy when I say it's morally repugnant to somehow feel like they should be excepted from the shared responsibility.

I hate people sometimes.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Ya know, this is the one situation where capitalism might solve more problems then it causes. On the one hand, we have chud antivaxxers destroying vials and hospitals throwing doses away because of regulations. On the other hand we have wealthy shitfuckers paying up to 25K to skip the line.

"Why hello there, fellow anti-vaxxer! I, too, am an anti-vaxxer here to save the world from these evil, evil mind control vaccines produced by the Obama-led Jew lizard people. I will now take these boxes of vaccine out to the parking lot and run them over with my Ford pickup truck, which was proudly made in the USA! Why am I loading them into the back, you ask? Errr... hey look over there! (vroom vrooooom)"

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

poverty goat posted:

Sure but can you ratchet up the racism? Something on the same level as Wu flu.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 3, 2021

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Spotted Dick pox

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Spotted Dick pox

London Lurgy

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The pommy pox

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

coronatae posted:

You mean directly after injection? Could be because it is colder than your blood (slightly, not like -70).

I have noticed IVs making my arm feel little colder before.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

poverty goat posted:

gently caress, I don't want to turn into a transphobe. :ohdear:

Jokes aside I was incapacitated from walking januari 13th last year till april so I am very close to being locked at home for a full year. Good thing I had to get used to being home/unable to walk over the last few years tbh, I am honestly doing fine.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Can I ask a question about testing in other countries?

My brother and his family got back from NSW back to Victoria, (in Australia) two days ago just as the borders closed. He lives in the outer suburbs of Melbourne, and he and his family did the right thing and went to get tested yesterday. He arrived at the clinic at 8AM, it opened at 9AM, and he, among many others, was still waiting at 10:45AM. There were also stories of clinics in other suburbs that had to turn people away at opening time because they already had too many people waiting to get their tests.

On one hand this is a good thing, it shows people are taking it seriously, and trying to take care of their health/be aware of the situation. Which I believe is because nobody here in Vic. wants to go back to the months long lockdown we have only recently got out of.

So my question is: In other parts of the world, (UK, USA, France, Spain etc.) where the spread and numbers are huge, what are you people doing in regards to testing? Are people going out and getting themselves tested?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

stab posted:

Boris-19

Did he finally admit how many children he has?

Duck and Cover posted:

Sure but can you ratchet up the racism? Something on the same level as Wu flu.

Limey-bola.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 3, 2021

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Xaintrailles posted:

Limey-bola.

We'll just stick with tradition and call it 'the French disease'.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

poverty goat posted:

Coronanglo

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

My brother and his family got back from NSW back to Victoria, (in Australia) two days ago just as the borders closed. He lives in the outer suburbs of Melbourne, and he and his family did the right thing and went to get tested yesterday. He arrived at the clinic at 8AM, it opened at 9AM, and he, among many others, was still waiting at 10:45AM. There were also stories of clinics in other suburbs that had to turn people away at opening time because they already had too many people waiting to get their tests.

On one hand this is a good thing, it shows people are taking it seriously, and trying to take care of their health/be aware of the situation. Which I believe is because nobody here in Vic. wants to go back to the months long lockdown we have only recently got out of.

So my question is: In other parts of the world, (UK, USA, France, Spain etc.) where the spread and numbers are huge, what are you people doing in regards to testing? Are people going out and getting themselves tested?

Here in Germany it varies from state to state but in Bavaria we have what is called "Jedermanntestung" (Anybody-Testing), a free test you can schedule at a test centre via drive through, walk-in or cycling in. In Munich it's on the Oktoberfest grounds. You schedule a test ahead of time on the web, get there, they scan a QR code, you advance to a tent where they ask your details, then you advance to a tent where they do a swab, then you go home with a url and your assigned test number, 48h later (ideally) you open the URL and search for your number, it says pos or neg next to it.

I just scheduled a test today and the earliest available was Tuesday, even though they do hundreds of tests per day, including sundays.

Unfortunately, there are hickups, my best friend and family got tested on the 18th and never received their results, probably issues due to pre Christmas chaos. It was also virtually impossible to schedule an appointment from the 15th until the 24th because everybody and their grandma wanted testing.

So.yeah people do it and it is entirely free of charge.in Bavaria if you do the no-reason anybody testing, if you had a contact alert from your app or returned from travel, it is still free for you but they charge your health insurance.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Hopper posted:

You mean directly after injection? Could be because it is colder than your blood (slightly, not like -70).

I have noticed IVs making my arm feel little colder before.

Yeah that's probably it, I felt the sensation a few minutes after receiving the injection

rbk
Nov 2, 2005

I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn't photograph them.

Xaintrailles posted:

Limey-bola.

Has he figured out what he washes his hair with? “It’s blue.”

It’s a mouthful but I am partial to Knife Crime Island Virus.

I’ve been roni free and trying to stay that way but a close relative who had a wedding in person during October (and didn’t tell me exactly how many people would be there until I showed up to discover I was one of a dozen bridesmaids and it went downhill from there) is now pregnant and going to Disney World next week for a honeymoon because her husband “doesn’t want to cancel it”. She’s a nurse. :wtc:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

The uk told people to stop getting tested if they were asymptotic which means you have a million people walking around spreading it without knowing. Seems incredibly stupid and every country stopping this pretty well is throwing tests at everyone all the time. Mad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bape Culture posted:

The uk told people to stop getting tested if they were asymptotic

Didn't they also loosen the restrictions over Christmas? Let's see how those bold decisions are working out for them

Oh hey it's super hosed!

Deaths also started climbing in September and only dipped slightly in late Nov/early Dec which should have been a huge warning sign that their restrictions were woefully inadequate but welp

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

We were allowed to see two other households for one day. London was not. That was announced the day before so I’m sure they did.

It’s absolutely hosed and I’m sure once the bank holidays/weekend is over we will be back to 1000 deaths/day.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1345599864449732609

Infected by a dude in an inflatable santa suit

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So someone at a hospital took their mask off to blow up Christmas decorations?

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

rbk posted:

Knife Crime Island Virus.

This had me in stitches

rbk posted:

I’ve been roni free and trying to stay that way but a close relative who had a wedding in person during October (and didn’t tell me exactly how many people would be there until I showed up to discover I was one of a dozen bridesmaids and it went downhill from there) is now pregnant and going to Disney World next week for a honeymoon because her husband “doesn’t want to cancel it”. She’s a nurse. :wtc:

A coworker of mine insisted on going to the next state over to celebrate NYE. She's a medical dispatcher for CO and they've been in a state of emergency re: roni for several weeks. Some folks just turn their brains off about it at a point

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

withak posted:

So someone at a hospital took their mask off to blow up Christmas decorations?

More likely the dude in the suit had covid and the little fan that keeps the suit inflated blew his covid everywhere

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

gay picnic defence posted:

More likely the dude in the suit had covid and the little fan that keeps the suit inflated blew his covid everywhere

Holy poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LOL they turned themselves into a covid thurible

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This was the one thing we didn’t want to happen

astral
Apr 26, 2004

My guess would be they walked through a COVID ward, filling up the suit with COVID-19 in the process, then went to e.g. a nice breakroom full of people eating unmasked.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
43 people

1 event
Jfc

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
2021 here we go.

Hopefully there'll be more on this than that blurb because that is hosed up/hilarious.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I vote we call it 'Britpox', the Brits are always up to something. :eng101:

Not ventured outside my property since 23rd Dec and won't be until 1st of Feb, thank the gods for a garden or i would be going a bit loopy.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Sanctum posted:

2021 here we go.

Hopefully there'll be more on this than that blurb because that is hosed up/hilarious.

This would be my ER. So I hope that heart attack doesn't hit this week.

I think I saw this plotline in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

greazeball posted:

This is the most exhausting part, honestly. There are just terrible incentives all around--bad behaviour goes relatively unpunished for most offenders while good behaviour is basically a punishment in itself because of the isolation. Meanwhile, media is full of jackasses smugging it up for everyone and it's plastered everywhere because it ~drives engagement~ and people staying in to do another jigsaw puzzle or do another Zoom call with their parents just get ignored. Idiots get tons of reinforcement just from seeing their actions mirrored everywhere, they're further encouraged by the complete absence of leadership in most countries, and it feels like people who do the right thing get practically no support from anywhere so we have to dig deep and find the will to do it all again every new day.

my motivation for basically cutting myself off from everything for going on 10 months- not dying, not being the cause of someone else's death indirectly having to carry that knowledge for the rest of my life

that's pretty much all i need, maybe it's the fight or flight survival instinct at the core of my being a human, who knows

my guess in march was 2/3rds of people would do the right things and 1/3rd would be reckless assholes..at this stage of it i might have been off a bit in those numbers..shoulda flipped them. every disaster film in the future better have half the characters either pretend everything is fine or run headfirst at the thing screaming freedom and waving a flag or my suspension of disbelief is gone.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Update, we now have a picture of the costume

https://twitter.com/mariannefavro/status/1345723045164404737

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The face of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
We are making fantastic strides in the field of spreading COVID efficiently, even using simple, commonly-available items.