Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

opensuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ubuntu is a fine desktop distro for novices, but there's no reason to use it over debian on the server

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

all opensuse users listen to rammstein

pram
Jun 10, 2001

xtal posted:

Ubuntu is a fine desktop distro for novices, but there's no reason to use it over debian on the server

i mean, does debian have anything like ksplice/livepatch available?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
If I'm upgrading my laptop this year is it worth splashing out on one of those m1 macs. Getting mixed messages. People were complaining about macs but now they're good again? I've been using desktop linux on cheap laptops for the last decade and have literally never used a mac before

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Broken Machine posted:

you need their hardware to run it, yes. i think it's possible to virtualize but it's uncommon. although you never really see AIX outside of big commercial operations, it's known for being really well integrated and incredibly stable. i wouldn't say it's fun to administer it or easy to use but it's great for mission critical stuff and what have you, it works well

You can certainly virtualize AIX on Power hardware yes, IBM basically invented the whole concept 60 years ago after all. Thats a bit different from like AWS. Least they don't try to charge you an extra grand to do so unlike with HPUX.

I liked it fine. Its a bit of a weird Unix even compared to the other extant ones though, also last holdout of COFF unless you're counting Windows:sun:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

If I'm upgrading my laptop this year is it worth splashing out on one of those m1 macs. Getting mixed messages. People were complaining about macs but now they're good again? I've been using desktop linux on cheap laptops for the last decade and have literally never used a mac before

Can you live with using Mac applications and maybe some posix terminal apps?
- Arm macs are good and awesome.

Do you need to run docker or other Linux apps that can’t be run on Macs (docker on macs is horrible):
- Get a XPS 13 or 15.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

dell is dogshit actually

so far at least, it hasn't been obliterated by a mote of dust hitting the keyboard

and it consistently wakes from suspend

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

xtal posted:

on the server (whitelabel) rhel is the only real option, the conversation may as well move on from there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
imagine running ibm software in 2021 lmfao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Truga posted:

imagine running software in 2021 lmfao

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I’m also considering transitioning away from max for work my company is slowly load more crapware on my MacBook so I’m looking to move to linux so that I can avoid it. I can’t even use it off a charger anymore because there are two security “suites” that destroy my battery life.

I have a personal m1 MacBook and it’s excellent.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Truga posted:

imagine running ibm software in 2021 lmfao

websphere alone is still quite common in large companies

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

carry on then posted:

websphere alone is still quite common in large companies

I recently interviewed with a company that wanted websphere experience because they were in the middle of a migration/deployment to it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

freeasinbeer posted:

I’m also considering transitioning away from max for work my company is slowly load more crapware on my MacBook so I’m looking to move to linux so that I can avoid it. I can’t even use it off a charger anymore because there are two security “suites” that destroy my battery life.

I have a personal m1 MacBook and it’s excellent.

There is such a thing as antivirus for Linux you know :sun:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

someone needs to rage out a “dont use ubuntu” post but for debian

main reason afaik is it relies on a committee of nerds, unlike other linuxes such as

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

feedmegin posted:

There is such a thing as antivirus for Linux you know :sun:

beep beep here comes symantec endpoint protection!!!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Share Bear posted:

main reason afaik is it relies on a committee of nerds, unlike other linuxes such as

Debian is just obviously bad. Every time I try it it just feels incomplete.

Ubuntu is good enough to trick people.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Share Bear posted:

Debian's problem is deadweight maintainers who don't orphan packages but refuse to maintain them because they're "too busy" for a year or two at a stretch, plus being completely impenetrable/impossible for outsiders to do that work instead. I think you can become IRC buddies with people and nag them but who has time for that bullshit when you can just work around it?

I've used Debian for over twenty years without doing a single useful thing for the distro despite desire/investigating it repeatedly when things are broken, whereas I can report problems and submit fixes to upstream projects and have them committed, often in less than 24 hours.

Too bad it'll take forever and a day to get into debian experimental, nevermind testing or Ubuntu, lol.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
I've actually had better success landing patches in Debian (where the package maintainer is a random volunteer) than in fedora (where the package maintainer is a salaried redhat employee)

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
One big lol is that Debian (and all derivatives) use the .deb package format, which can't support packages larger than 2GB. I guess that was fine back in the 90's, but it's a very real problem today - and will only get worse.

Tons of people have reported it to the dpkg maintainers, and basically get crickets as a response.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 4, 2021

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Poopernickel posted:

One big lol is that Debian (and all derivatives) use the .deb package format, which can't support packages larger than 2GB. I guess that was fine back in the 90's, but it's a very real problem today - and will only get worse.

Tons of people have reported it to the dpkg maintainers, and basically get crickets as a response.

gross, what are you doing where you think a > 2gb deb is a good idea

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
2 GB ought to be enough for anyone

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

PCjr sidecar posted:

gross, what are you doing where you think a > 2gb deb is a good idea

In my case, I was trying to package Xilinx lab tools for easy installation/remote management on a bunch of hardware lab machines.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
2GB is plenty big for a foss package, no worries there. But it's not really big enough for lots of closed-source CAD tools.

I would _love_ it if Xilinx, Altera, et. al could just package their software as a .deb and run a package repo, so I could use standard tools to install and upgrade instead of trying to automate their stupid bullshit installers. Too bad the file format makes it impossible :saddowns:

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 4, 2021

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

2GB is plenty big for a foss package, no worries there. But it's not really big enough for lots of closed-source CAD tools.

I would _love_ it if Xilinx, Altera, et. al could just package their software as a .deb and run a package repo, so I could use standard tools to install and upgrade instead of trying to automate their stupid bullshit installers. Too bad the file format makes it impossible :saddowns:

so do a lovely hack and work around it, god have you even done a foss before

xilinx-lab meta package, depending on xilinx-lab-1, xilinx-lab-2...xilinx-lab-n

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

In my case, I was trying to package Xilinx lab tools for easy installation/remote management on a bunch of hardware lab machines.

Cool, user a docker container for this.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i do appreciate the chutzpah it must take to complain that debian, the distro mostly notable for being run by frothing fossers , is not doing enough to support your insane proprietary use cases

Circe Quake
Nov 25, 2020

Poopernickel posted:

rpm is not much better. i do bioinformatics stuff and had to package precomputed indices into RPM packages for our commercial product and cpio / rpm has a hard 4gb per file limit, which I just came in under. please don’t talk to me about my elephantine 20gb docker images.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i do appreciate the chutzpah it must take to complain that debian, the distro mostly notable for being run by frothing fossers , is not doing enough to support your insane proprietary use cases

ah, yase - packaging software to install with apt is an insane proprietary use case

better to make everybody gently caress around with docker or proprietary vendor installers/updaters

You do know that apt is literally designed to support third-party repos, right?

There are tons and tons and tons of software packages - games, synthesizers, CAD tools, EDA tools, embedded tools, scientific software, etc - that are all much larger than 2GB. But instead of just extending the dpkg file format, it's definitely better to push everybody onto an incompatible (and poo poo) package format like Snap, or containerize an entire fucken OS into a Docker image

lots of people use Linux for other kinds of programming than ~*WeB DeVeLoPmEnT*~

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 4, 2021

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Cool, user a docker container for this.

cool, good thing it's easy to compose docker images from packages that have non-automatable custom installer steps

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

instead of using deb or rpm to movr revolting enormous blobs around go ask your dad how he moves your mom

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

anyway i look forward to the poorly coded checks in a shell script that launches commercial software package X that bails out if looks like its in a docker container

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

ah, yase - packaging software to install with apt is an insane proprietary use case

better to make everybody gently caress around with docker or proprietary vendor installers/updaters

There are tons and tons and tons of software packages - games, synthesizers, CAD tools, EDA tools, embedded tools, etc - that are all much larger than 2GB. But instead of just extending the dpkg file format, it's definitely better to push everybody onto an incompatible (and poo poo) package format like Snap, or containerize an entire fucken OS into a Docker image

lots of people use Linux for other kinds of programming than ~*WeB DeVeLoPmEnT*~

packages >2gb are an insane proprietary use case, yes. ever noticed how distro packages tend to be pretty granular? your jumbo package either can't be decomposed, which is insane, or you/upstream can't be bothered, which is also insane but in a different way. you are holding your screwdriver wrong and bitching that it makes a terrible hammer

Poopernickel posted:

cool, good thing it's easy to compose docker images from packages that have non-automatable custom installer steps

make a tgz instead of a deb, then ADD it to the image

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

packages >2gb are an insane proprietary use case, yes. ever noticed how distro packages tend to be pretty granular? your jumbo package either can't be decomposed, which is insane, or you/upstream can't be bothered, which is also insane but in a different way. you are holding your screwdriver wrong and bitching that it makes a terrible hammer

All of this.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

There are tons and tons and tons of software packages - games, synthesizers, CAD tools, EDA tools, embedded tools, scientific software, etc - that are all much larger than 2GB. But instead of just extending the dpkg file format, it's definitely better to push everybody onto an incompatible (and poo poo) package format like Snap, or containerize an entire fucken OS into a Docker image

You are upset that your special package that is > 2GB won't fit in a deb, but the extra space for a container is just too much to handle? :laffo:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey guys, I don't want to use docker with my 2GB package because that would make it 2.2GB!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

rpm is 64 bit now, so the max package size is basically unlimited. individual files are still limited to 4gb though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Silver Alicorn posted:

linux is a monolithic kernel cooked up in a crazy finn's garage

Linux is System V fanfic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

xtal posted:

Docker was like a 10 or 20 year regression for the state of the art, unfortunately.

Docker is just IBM VM reimplemented by people who never understood the real thing