Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

tater_salad posted:

Can you post a pic of where it's going so we can visualize the issue? I'm having a hard time visualising what you are trying to do and why the thickness of the board makes a difference.

Hang on, let me go grab one...

Okay SO...

There’s this ditch here between the ground and my fence, that I need to fill in with dirt.

See that gap, between the vertical post and the dog-ear fence slats? This gap?

I need to put a wood plank in that gap, up against the fence slats, to act as a retaining wall for the dirt I gotta put in, so it doesn’t erode into our neighbor’s yard (we live on a hill and our neighbor’s house is below us, separated by a stone wall).

As you can see, the gap (which is about the same width/thickness as the fence-board pictured below) is about 1 1/2”. So, a bit thicker than how I remembered it.

The wood I have is JUUUUUUST SLIGHTLY thicker than that gap, like by about 1/16” or 1/8” (so it’s about 1 5/8” thick). Not quite thin enough to slide comfortably into the gap, but close.

I need to either get some ground contact treated wood that’s just thin enough to get into that gap, or get a planer to shave down the wood I have now until it’s thin enough. EDIT: ^^^ Okay, per the post above this, apparently shaving any wood down to size is out entirely.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Dude. It's an inch and a half. Where ever are you going to find a piece of ground-contact rated wood that's an inch and a half?

Hint: it's the single most common piece of pressure treated wood made. A loving 2xwhatever. Done.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sharkytm posted:

Dude. It's an inch and a half. Where ever are you going to find a piece of ground-contact rated wood that's an inch and a half?

Hint: it's the single most common piece of pressure treated wood made. A loving 2xwhatever. Done.

Yeah that’s what I already bought. It don’t fit. I tried.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Glad to see you got a tape measure and are using it!

You can either wait for a a normal 2x to dry out and shrink a little so it will fit, or get 5/4 decking board that is a full inch thick, or use a hand saw/chisel/router/circ saw to cut notches in the ends of 2x’s so they will fit in there.

A planer is not a good tool for dealing with treated lumber, as others have said. If you’re determined to try to solve this problem with a planer, get the cheapest one you can find because, as many others have told you, you’re going to ruin it by running wet, treated wood through it.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah if it's just to squeeze behind that post I'd just hog out a chunk from a board with any kind of cutting tool or hell if it's close just bash on it with a hammer

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Glad to see you got a tape measure and are using it!

...... yes? I’ve HAD a tape measure. I got the Stanley FatMax because this thread recommended it. I got it like 9 months ago. Why are you still talking about it?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A planer is not a good tool for dealing with treated lumber, as others have said. If you’re determined to try to solve this problem with a planer, get the cheapest one you can find because, as many others have told you, you’re going to ruin it by running wet, treated wood through it.

Can we abandon the loving planer chat now? Please? I have already absorbed the fact that a planer is not the solution to my problem. You keeping on talking about planers is just gonna make others think that I’m still considering using a planer, which I’m not.

I am not going to buy or use a planer for this purpose. Please stop mentioning planers. Thank you.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You can either wait for a a normal 2x to dry out and shrink a little so it will fit, or get 5/4 decking board that is a full inch thick, or use a hand saw/chisel/router/circ saw to cut notches in the ends of 2x’s so they will fit in there.

The plank I got was already dried out when I tried to fit it, and the notch thing is out since cutting a 1/8” deep notch into the end of a plank is...... just...... no. I really hope I don’t have to explain in detail to this of all threads why no to that.

The 5/4 deck boards should work though. I have to see the wood in person to make sure, but assuming it’s only about 1” thick then yeah, that should do it. Thanks!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why is cutting an 1/8" notch in the end of a plank a no

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Have you considered 3d printing something then using your planer ( I am assuming you bought one by now) to pare it down to the right size?

Or maybe epoxy?

Seriously I'm not seeing anything a 2x4 and a hammer won't solve. If it won't squeeze in, just chisel it down a little.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Get some rocks and stuff em in there.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rufio posted:

Seriously I'm not seeing anything a 2x4 and a hammer won't solve. If it won't squeeze in, just chisel it down a little.
This is the answer.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Or a spray foam?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A temporary board on the back and a little bit of fast setting quickrete and a squirt from the garden hose if you wanna be fancy.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

I. M. Gei posted:

The plank I got was already dried out when I tried to fit it, and the notch thing is out since cutting a 1/8” deep notch into the end of a plank is...... just...... no. I really hope I don’t have to explain in detail to this of all threads why no to that.

Not trying to be condescending in the least. Setting a circular saw to (1/8" in your case) depth and cutting several times across the notch area and then knocking the tiny "teeth" out with a hammer is SOP for notching posts. Quick and easy and all you need is a circular saw, speed square, and a hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnmCGicpOfY

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rufio posted:

stealie72 posted:

This is the answer.

My plank is 10” wide and 8 linear feet, and all of that is just slightly too thick. That’s a bit big for a chisel (and I’m not entirely sure how a chisel is cool to use on something that I shouldn’t use a planer on; I guess the blade is different?), although a power sander might work on it.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm confused about what's going on here I guess. It doesnt seem to me that you would need a huge block of wood or whatever in there if you are just trying to block dirt.

Where does the 8ft come into play?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

JEEVES420 posted:

Not trying to be condescending in the least. Setting a circular saw to (1/8" in your case) depth and cutting several times across the notch area and then knocking the tiny "teeth" out with a hammer is SOP for notching posts. Quick and easy and all you need is a circular saw, speed square, and a hammer.

I know how to do this. I already did it on part of that wall trellis.

Doing it to a depth of 1/16” to 1/8” over like an inch and a half just to get a piece of wood behind a fencepost just seems like... way more effort-ful a solution than is necessary for what I’m doing. Like why not just sand my wood down or buy the 5/4 deck boards instead?

Rufio posted:

I'm confused about what's going on here I guess. It doesnt seem to me that you would need a huge block of wood or whatever in there if you are just trying to block dirt.

Where does the 8ft come into play?

I have to do this over a length of 55+ feet.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I have to do this over a length of 55+ feet.
Wait, what? From your pictures it looks like you juat need to fill in a gap between a fence post and a fence. How deep is the dirt going to be, and how do you need to do it over 55 feet?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

So you're installing a bottom board across the entirety of the fence line, correct? And you only need to tuck the board a little bit behind those posts to create a barrier, right? So you can just chisel a little bit off the end of the board and tuck it in, or probably just hammer it in since its so close. Why trim the entire board?

Okay so kerfing the board with a circular saw over 1.5in is too much effort? I dunno man. Sanding 1/16 to 1/8 off is way more effort than that.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Out of curiosity, is this a good deal for this jointer?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/778300559558514/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=undefined

Seems like it'd probably be a motherfucker to move, but still, a jointer.

Edit: Although hmm that cord looks like it might be hosed up near the plug and I guess it might be 220v which would be a no-go for me for the time being.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Danhenge posted:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/778300559558514/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=undefined

Edit: Although hmm that cord looks like it might be hosed up near the plug and I guess it might be 220v which would be a no-go for me for the time being.

Yeah, it's a good deal. That's when they were built like a cast steel shithouse, and you only have to move it once. The motor might be dual wiring where you can remove a plate switch tabs to get 120v.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Danhenge posted:

Those are great. My old boss had one. Especially great for $300 if it’s in decent shape.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

JEEVES420 posted:

This seems like the easiest and fastest answer. If you're doing a bunch and the spacing is super consistent, you could even gang cut them.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

I. M. Gei posted:

My plank is 10” wide and 8 linear feet, and all of that is just slightly too thick. That’s a bit big for a chisel (and I’m not entirely sure how a chisel is cool to use on something that I shouldn’t use a planer on; I guess the blade is different?), although a power sander might work on it.

To answer your question, wet wood on a spinning machine gums poo poo up. The treated stuff can gently caress the machine up, over heat it and cause mayhem.

A chisel costs ten bucks and can be cleaned off without tearing it to pieces. It can also be resharpened.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah that’s what I already bought. It don’t fit. I tried.

freeze the wood in liquid nitrogen so it becomes smaller. then put it in place and the ambient temperature will make the wood expand into an unbreakable seal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Please do not powersand treated wood.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Construct an elaborate hydraulic press to squeeze the wood thin enough to push into place.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Rutibex posted:

freeze the wood in liquid nitrogen so it becomes smaller. then put it in place and the ambient temperature will make the wood expand into an unbreakable seal

Fool! Simply heat the existing fence in a furnace to expand it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Genetically engineer termites that are resistant to the chemical treatment, then train them to only eat the parts you want.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
You're over-thinking it. Stand with the fence closer in the foreground and the slat further in the background. Adjust to fit.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

Construct an elaborate hydraulic press to squeeze the wood thin enough to push into place.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

You're over-thinking it. Stand with the fence closer in the foreground and the slat further in the background. Adjust to fit.

Vindolanda posted:

Fool! Simply heat the existing fence in a furnace to expand it.

Platystemon posted:

Genetically engineer termites that are resistant to the chemical treatment, then train them to only eat the parts you want.

:lol: IM is the gift that keeps on giving. Has anyone checked Motronic's blood pressure lately?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You’re thinking it might be enough to run the needed hydraulics? Smart.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

At this point I'm thinking it's better to just demo the fence and start over.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Rufio posted:

At this point I'm thinking it's better to just demo the fence and start over.

In all seriousness - and I realise that depending on where you are etc this may be impractical - this really looks like a “money can be exchanged for goods and services” situation. Pay someone to make a fence, especially if part of the purpose is to stop your yard sliding into a neighbours yard.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

:lol: IM is the gift that keeps on giving. Has anyone checked Motronic's blood pressure lately?

Y'all are doing a fine job of handling this one. It was a little iffy at the start, but the people who know what's actually happening have entered the thread.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

So was the whole thing a troll?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rufio posted:

So was the whole thing a troll?

HOW DARE you say that reveered and respected Poster I.M. GEI would be a troll he's just trying to find the right way to fit his wood around the fence. It's insulting to even suggest this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tater_salad posted:

HOW DARE you say that reveered and respected Poster I.M. GEI would be a troll he's just trying to find the right way to fit his wood around the fence. It's insulting to even suggest this.

You can't just go sticking your wood anywhere you think it'll fit. That's how you get splinters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a case of the XY problem.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I might have missed it, but I think we are all overlooking the obvious solution. Have we considered getting rid of the neighbors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

El Jebus posted:

I might have missed it, but I think we are all overlooking the obvious solution. Have we considered getting rid of the neighbors?

You can't "Own" land, man, its mother earths. Tear down that wall!