Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't think it'd fit the nature of this film for Lord to be killed. Cheetah didn't get killed either. No one died, basically. But obviously Max Lord should have got some sort of comeuppance. He wasn't some innocent dude, he was smiling when the president wished for more nukes and he was literally stealing life-force from people to heal himself like some crazy evil wizard.

That should at least have warranted some scene where he gets taken away by authorities right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Zzulu posted:

I don't think it'd fit the nature of this film for Lord to be killed. Cheetah didn't get killed either. No one died, basically. But obviously Max Lord should have got some sort of comeuppance. He wasn't some innocent dude, he was smiling when the president wished for more nukes and he was literally stealing life-force from people to heal himself like some crazy evil wizard.

That should at least have warranted some scene where he gets taken away by authorities right?
Oil executive gets away with almost destroying the planet. The truth is beautiful.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zzulu posted:

I dunno that sounds kinda toxic, which is absolutely not what we want in this uplifting film about Positivity and Optimism tailor made for a focus group of twitter posters who thought Superman deliberately and gleefully commited war crimes in the final act of Man of Steel

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

BiggestBatman posted:

He didn't launch a single nuke, nor cleanse a single ethnic, and also we aren't a jury. Deciding if he's bad or good is inane. The ending of the story being primarily a punishment for the characters wrongdoing is simplistic even by children's stories standards.

This isn't a great film but this specific point is going looking for ethical failures instead of actually discussing the narrative here and how it might be better. Whatever the cause, Lord's crime is that he's megamaniacal and greedy so he gets beheaded by a character he has no relationship with and that would be satisfying narratively? You'd be complaining even more if that's how the story went, and you'd be right cause that would be really stupid.

I will not back off this hill. Those complaining that Lord shoulda been killed are arguing from the logic of the Pre-Code Hollywood rules where its "Bad" for a film to show a villain not be served justice. The film is weak because the narrative lines for the characters (with the exception of Lord, mostly) have no real thematic cohesiveness, not because they film fails to uphold a standard of morality

He authorized and actively manipulated the wishes, and established their consequences. He chose to erect that wall to punish that oil guy even though it caused poor people to go without water. He could have chosen to give Reagan a bunch of nukes, but they were all duds. The movie could have made him do redeemable things if they had to redeem him at the end. But this movie also makes their hero a rapist and their villain a rapist-beater, so...

I don’t think anyone is saying he *has* to be beheaded onscreen, just that he should have *some* consequence instead of Marine One still being under his authority lol

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

AdmiralViscen posted:

I don’t think anyone is saying he *has* to be beheaded onscreen, just that he should have *some* consequence instead of Marine One still being under his authority lol

He could have an ending where he admits to his shareholders that the crowdsourced oil company was a bust and he declares bankruptcy. Then he could have a crappy but honest job where he isn't rich and on TV, but does get to spend more time with his son, underlining the movie's themes of truth is better than magic wishing rocks. Maybe Diana runs into him selling street food in that mysterious last scene, and is happy to see he's doing well now that he Knows His Place.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BiggestBatman posted:

He didn't launch a single nuke, nor cleanse a single ethnic, and also we aren't a jury. Deciding if he's bad or good is inane. The ending of the story being primarily a punishment for the characters wrongdoing is simplistic even by children's stories standards.

This isn't a great film but this specific point is going looking for ethical failures instead of actually discussing the narrative here and how it might be better. Whatever the cause, Lord's crime is that he's megamaniacal and greedy so he gets beheaded by a character he has no relationship with and that would be satisfying narratively? You'd be complaining even more if that's how the story went, and you'd be right cause that would be really stupid.

I will not back off this hill. Those complaining that Lord shoulda been killed are arguing from the logic of the Pre-Code Hollywood rules where its "Bad" for a film to show a villain not be served justice. The film is weak because the narrative lines for the characters (with the exception of Lord, mostly) have no real thematic cohesiveness, not because they film fails to uphold a standard of morality

Wait who's asking for Max to be killed, its just odd that a bad guy in a movie has no comeuppance.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Even the guy from Wolf of Wall St. had a bigger comeuppance, and he literally got away with it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mystic Mongol posted:

He could have an ending where he admits to his shareholders that the crowdsourced oil company was a bust and he declares bankruptcy. Then he could have a crappy but honest job where he isn't rich and on TV, but does get to spend more time with his son, underlining the movie's themes of truth is better than magic wishing rocks. Maybe Diana runs into him selling street food in that mysterious last scene, and is happy to see he's doing well now that he Knows His Place.
Actually, having Diana walk by a bank of TVs and see him as a "As Seen on TV" pitchman or as an honest Tony Robbins type character tying to help people better themselves would have been a good ending as opposed to hitting on the Body Possession guy.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

teagone posted:

Barbara makes a second wish to be an apex predator; becoming Cheetah is just the whole Monkey's Paw and all that. The film has a lot going against it, but not all the character beats with Barbara are bad.

I know there's comic precedence, but I still find this funny given current knowledge of what punks cheetahs are in their actual environment.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was just watching the news and some people obviously didn’t recant their wishes. :mad:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I simply do not understand why they didn't go with "the bigger your wish the bigger your cost." It wasn't a monkey's paw, despite the movie wanting you to settle on that based on a secondary character's musings.

The moral being an inhumanly beautiful half god staring at the camera and emotionlessly telling people they're wrong to wish for their lives to be better came across so poorly.

Sucks to be a mom who wished for her kid's leukemia to be cured. Glad she rescinded it at the end.

Sorry Barbara, whatever your wish might have been worded as the underlying idea of "I want to be treated like a person" doesn't have value. You fighting your twice-attempted rapist is framed as an evil act. Learn your place.

Diana's rescinding has no weight whatsoever. "Rescind your wish or the earth becomes a ball of radioactive death" isn't a heroic choice.

The wishpocalypse was genuinely disheartening and felt like they were filming on the set for a different movie. People getting wishes makes a woman hunker under a space blanket in the middle of DC summer and cry out for her missing child because...? Sure have a lot of 80s excess materialism but show it. Golden skyscrapers spouting up randomly, have fun amidst the horror of wishmageddon. Have that woman shown losing her condo because the building has been turned yet another trader's monument to excess.

The joke about the streets being unsafe from all the porshes racing about? Decent start. Show it.

Show chaos from wishes conflicting not from simply being granted. Have the moral be that there is no something for nothing, but that would start to cast a squint at capitalism really quickly. Which it should, if you're setting your literal wish fulfillment superhero movie in the 80s, why bother if not to at least cast a side eye at unchecked capitalism and the monster of consumerism.

And let's not even touch on the random "evil arabs" poo poo in 2020 in a movie headlined by a loud and proud advocate of the IDF.

The after credits scene was good at least. My mom passed last year, and it would've made her smile.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BiggestBatman posted:

This is incoherent.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

AdmiralViscen posted:

He authorized and actively manipulated the wishes, and established their consequences. He chose to erect that wall to punish that oil guy even though it caused poor people to go without water. He could have chosen to give Reagan a bunch of nukes, but they were all duds. The movie could have made him do redeemable things if they had to redeem him at the end. But this movie also makes their hero a rapist and their villain a rapist-beater, so...

The film doesn't really care about the broader morality of any of its characters actions because its a (pretty simplistic) fable, not a realistic take on how the world would deal with wish-granting powers

Shageletic posted:

Wait who's asking for Max to be killed, its just odd that a bad guy in a movie has no comeuppance.

a few responses to my first comment on this explicitly mentioned WW beheading him

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This is incoherent.

Dunno what to tell you Yolo, other people seem to manage it

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

BiggestBatman posted:

The film doesn't really care about the broader morality of any of its characters actions because its a (pretty simplistic) fable

Websters defines “fable” as “a short story, typically conveying a moral”

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Edit: N/M, leaving it at "that was incoherent" is kinder.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BiggestBatman posted:

a few responses to my first comment on this explicitly mentioned WW beheading him

Imagine the exact same movie, except there’s Commando-style action sequences with a gladius.

What kind of dorkus would object to that?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
i'm just going to register my wish here. dead fictional kid nailed it and i think this thread can appreciate knowing what to wish for in the event of evil genie:

’HAPPINESS FOR EVERYBODY, FREE, AND NO ONE WILL GO AWAY UNSATISFIED!’

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Imagine the exact same movie, except there’s Commando-style action sequences with a gladius.

Obviously the correct scene is Max grabbing a butterfly knife and Diana going "that's not a noif."

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Gotta dream bigger. What if in order to stop Max she flew the invisible plane directly into the building he was broadcasting from then got out and crushed his windpipe with his boot, then arrested his body

PJOmega posted:

Edit: N/M, leaving it at "that was incoherent" is kinder.

love u buddy

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wanna point out that I don't think Wonder Woman should behead Max because it's the right or just thing to do, she should do it because the movie is boring as poo poo and violence is fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd have thought after decades of Spielberg we already have dealt with enough director daddy issues. Fuckin lol the ending is Donald Trump being told 'go home and be a family man'.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

My internet went down during the maximum power scene and I took it as a sign from God not to finish.

Is Gal Gadot a lovely actor? It seems like they do everything they can to minimize the number of lines she says in a row.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

tadashi posted:

My internet went down during the maximum power scene and I took it as a sign from God not to finish.

Is Gal Gadot a lovely actor? It seems like they do everything they can to minimize the number of lines she says in a row.

She's...limited. She has a fair bit of presence and looks amazing, and you can coast on that a great deal.

Ask her to go beyond "exotic accent being assertive" or "vague inspirational sentence" and you'll get pretty much nothing of worth.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Gadot is fine but she's never going to be someone that you can build a mediocre, boring movie around and expect her to carry the thing on her shoulders. And she's not alone in that of course, I'd throw three quarters of the MCU actors into that category as well.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I know that it’s the cool thing to throw shade on MCEU but none of their actors comes even close to the stale woodiness of Gadot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

I know that it’s the cool thing to throw shade on MCEU but none of their actors comes even close to the stale woodiness of Gadot.

If we're doing a direct comparison to Gadot, I agree that most of the MCU actors are better than her. But if we're talking about the broader category of actors who are not good enough to elevate a movie beyond the script and the production values, a lot of them fall into that.

The funny thing is that some of the actors in the MCU who I think could elevate material have been given no chance to do it. How many times have we talked about how odd it is that they wouldn't give a Ruffalo solo movie a shot?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The suits have no faith in the Hulk, smh

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Pretty sure Disney would be required to distribute a standalone Hulk movie via Paramount

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PJOmega posted:

The joke about the streets being unsafe from all the porshes racing about? Decent start. Show it.

Show chaos from wishes conflicting not from simply being granted. Have the moral be that there is no something for nothing, but that would start to cast a squint at capitalism really quickly. Which it should, if you're setting your literal wish fulfillment superhero movie in the 80s, why bother if not to at least cast a side eye at unchecked capitalism and the monster of consumerism.

And let's not even touch on the random "evil arabs" poo poo in 2020 in a movie headlined by a loud and proud advocate of the IDF.

The after credits scene was good at least. My mom passed last year, and it would've made her smile.

Goddamn yes, but it seems unbelievable that this movie would have had enough money to show this. It just looks so cheap.

You know what's crazy? The climax, the traditional world is going to die montage that is in every superhero movie, I think it was all B roll footage? Like old videos of rockets launching (and one comically bad unrealistic shot of missles coming out of the Kremlin lol) and then people reacting in small rooms.

Like even the shittiest modern comic book movies spend their money on the orgy of violence and danger in the 3rd act. Like, even by its own lovely genre, this movie fails.

Instead you have wind whistling as bad actors huddle on a street made up of 10 people lol.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ruffalo was a big part of why Ragnarok was good.

Anyway, I like the idea of Diana seeing Max on TV helping people. He should also be doing that alongside Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, and Guy Gardner.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Pretty sure Disney would be required to distribute a standalone Hulk movie via Paramount

Yeah, I think this was the reason.

Shageletic posted:

Goddamn yes, but it seems unbelievable that this movie would have had enough money to show this. It just looks so cheap.

You know what's crazy? The climax, the traditional world is going to die montage that is in every superhero movie, I think it was all B roll footage? Like old videos of rockets launching (and one comically bad unrealistic shot of missles coming out of the Kremlin lol) and then people reacting in small rooms.

Like even the shittiest modern comic book movies spend their money on the orgy of violence and danger in the 3rd act. Like, even by its own lovely genre, this movie fails.

Instead you have wind whistling as bad actors huddle on a street made up of 10 people lol.

Everything I hear makes this movie sound like a substandard Doctor Who episode.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Now I haven’t seen this movie, but I’ve been following the discussions about it and I just have to ask...why 1984?

The year in question tends to make people think of Orwellian things but that doesn’t seem to be a major theme of the movie. Is it because WW84 is a punchy title to print?

I almost suspect that a major reason for it is the hype around Ready Player One, from a few years back. That and Stranger Things might give the impression for clueless studio executives that the 80’s is very hot right now, but I feel that sort of nostalgia is not as prevalent anymore.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, I think this was the reason.

Everything I hear makes this movie sound like a substandard Doctor Who episode.

It's worse because bad Doctor Who episodes end much sooner.

And all the Doctor actors are way better than Gal Gadot.

Plus if you want to get old school, Leela would have shanked Max Lord at like the halfway point and we could have all gone to bed early.

:j: "Enjoy your death as I enjoyed killing you!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

Now I haven’t seen this movie, but I’ve been following the discussions about it and I just have to ask...why 1984?

The year in question tends to make people think of Orwellian things but that doesn’t seem to be a major theme of the movie. Is it because WW84 is a punchy title to print?

I almost suspect that a major reason for it is the hype around Ready Player One, from a few years back. That and Stranger Things might give the impression for clueless studio executives that the 80’s is very hot right now, but I feel that sort of nostalgia is not as prevalent anymore.

Oh yea for sure, it's just another attempt at 80's nostalgia. I imagine there were focus groups and many meetings about which year had the best ring to it and which year was most representative of the 80s.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea for sure, it's just another attempt at 80's nostalgia. I imagine there were focus groups and many meetings about which year had the best ring to it and which year was most representative of the 80s.

But it even fails at that because, and I feel bad bringing this up again but it really is strange, if you wanted to use 80's nostalgia, why would you not use a single 80's song? It's a truly mystifying choice to not do that.

The trailer used Blue Monday and it ruled. The movie using only score felt way off.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

BigglesSWE posted:

When the title was announced and they had the teaser image of Diana looking at a bank of TV screens, I thought it was going to be about her fighting some government mass surveillance program.

I'm guessing they went with 1984 because they saw it peak 80s.Regan's re-election and the collapse of the USSR was still 5 years away and they were still seen as a real threat.

thrawn527 posted:

But it even fails at that because, and I feel bad bringing this up again but it really is strange, if you wanted to use 80's nostalgia, why would you not use a single 80's song? It's a truly mystifying choice to not do that.

The trailer used Blue Monday and it ruled. The movie using only score felt way off.
That first trailer with Blue Monday really hyped me up for the movie. The second trailer with the mall scene had the opposite effect.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 8, 2021

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I feel like they put a year in it because they were trying to avoid people calling it WW2.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Early descriptions of the film said Wonder Woman was going to come into conflict with the USSR which after several script revisions seems to have been shrunk down into the nuclear war plotline, but I'm guessing 1984 was originally going to refer to ~soviety totalitariansm~ or somesuch

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I feel like they put a year in it because they were trying to avoid people calling it WW2.

Should of gone with WW88 mixed signals all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

multijoe posted:

Early descriptions of the film said Wonder Woman was going to come into conflict with the USSR which after several script revisions seems to have been shrunk down into the nuclear war plotline, but I'm guessing 1984 was originally going to refer to ~soviety totalitariansm~ or somesuch
Oh that's right, I remember an early description floating around that had her fighting a Soviet robot in Afghanistan.