Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Double post because my dog is a dumbass :cripes:

He got excited to run around in the snow, spazzed out, and immediately cut his foot open. Bad enough he was leaving bloody footprints and had to be bandaged, so he spent the rest of the day limping dramatically and trying to cadge food by looking pathetic.

Merry Christmas dipshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Nom nom those doggo jammies are adorable! Glad to hear Sparty is doing Sparty things again too. Happy holidays to all my greyhound family.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I found out there’s actually another greyhound adoption organization in town and they seem much more on the ball then the “main” one. With the other one I haven’t heard much of anything in the months since I sent in an application.

I had a one-hour video chat with my adoption representatives today (virtual home inspection and Q&A) and it seems very likely I’ll be getting a Florida dog on the 23rd or shortly thereafter. It might be their last New Dog Day with all the tracks closing. In The Before Times it was a pretty cool organization - the hounds would be fostered for 8 weeks by inmates in a local prison before adopted out. COVID put a stop to that and by the time the pandemic’s over there’ll probably be like 3 tracks still operating in the US so this might be it for them.

My representatives seemed to encourage me to pre-adopt a hound from the next haul since it sounds like they will be getting more dogs than normal and the organization wants to make sure they can find a home (temporary or permanent) for all of them. That means it will go straight to me off the transport when it arrives, which, uh, wasn’t quite how I expected this would go - I figured somebody else would take the initial hit of teaching them stairs and getting them vaguely housebroken :ohdear:

I’m a little bit intimidated by how fast all of this is happening compared to months of no communication from the other org but hopefully it will go fine. It sounds like the other alternatives are to pay megabucks for a show dog or wait and pay almost-megabucks for an imported ex-racer.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Is this in Phoenix by chance? We have direct experience with three different groups in our area and one of them was the sponsor for the prison program, which is where we got Jody. We have also fostered and volunteered for two other groups and there is actually a fourth group in our area as well to my knowledge. If so we can help out in any way possible!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Why lem, why do you do this.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Is this in Phoenix by chance? We have direct experience with three different groups in our area and one of them was the sponsor for the prison program, which is where we got Jody. We have also fostered and volunteered for two other groups and there is actually a fourth group in our area as well to my knowledge. If so we can help out in any way possible!

Naw, Indianapolis

I think I can do it, but it will be... a lot at first. I guess I have to try to teach it stairs the first day since the bedroom is upstairs?

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

david_a posted:

Naw, Indianapolis

I think I can do it, but it will be... a lot at first. I guess I have to try to teach it stairs the first day since the bedroom is upstairs?

In my experience, stairs are easy for some greyhounds and not so easy for others. It is definitely dependent on the individual dog and their confidence level. Good luck!

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

I've heard that stairs are easier for female greys because they're kept in kennels that are higher up so they're used to jumping, but i don't know how true that is

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

We got a bunch of stair treads (like these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Aqua-Shield-Diamonds-8-5-in-x-30-in-Stair-Treads-Set-of-4-Charcoal-20487541/206317200) to help Rush go up and down stairs, and they have worked out great. They aren't as fiddly as I thought they might be, either. They stay on the each stair very well (although they do move side to side).

No more wiping out down the stairs when he gets too excited.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 5, 2022

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson is a confident boy, but our hardwood stairs gave him a lot of trouble at first. We stuck down some carpet tread covers and he figured it out quickly.

Had a big paint spill the other day and had to remove the covers. He's still hesitant, but once he gets a little start he can go up and down with them bare.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It’s a townhome apartment with carpeted stairs so at least I have that going for me.

Don’t greyhounds at the track wake up at some godawful hour?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Our boy woke up at the crack of dawn at first. We got him in June so the sunrise was super early, and he'd start barking at first light. Be prepared for some early mornings at first. 6 months later and home slice won't get out bed till we do.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah same first weekend was like 6 am but she adapted very quickly

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Our first dog was really old, almost completely deaf and half blind. For the first few months we had him he woke up when the sun came up and if we weren’t up within a couple minutes he’d just pee on the carpet. We got blackout curtains for the living room and it solved the problem at a stroke.

Look at this adorable old man :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol cute

got some various treats for belated xmas (I know I suck) and Abby's 13th birthday which is next Monday. I got this cow ear, which she chewed on a bit before ignoring. I cut up part of it with scissors (lol) and put it in her bowl, but part of it was too hard to cut. she's still ignoring that part. also got a pig ear, but probably won't do this again because she tried to swallowed too big of a piece and then made a hacking noise like four times in a row. she's fine of course, but I don't want to deal that again.

The other stuff is just a few "cake" things, one shaped like a donut, one like a pretzel, one like a glass of beer. The usual oats and peanut butter thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

I found out there’s actually another greyhound adoption organization in town and they seem much more on the ball then the “main” one. With the other one I haven’t heard much of anything in the months since I sent in an application.

I had a one-hour video chat with my adoption representatives today (virtual home inspection and Q&A) and it seems very likely I’ll be getting a Florida dog on the 23rd or shortly thereafter. It might be their last New Dog Day with all the tracks closing. In The Before Times it was a pretty cool organization - the hounds would be fostered for 8 weeks by inmates in a local prison before adopted out. COVID put a stop to that and by the time the pandemic’s over there’ll probably be like 3 tracks still operating in the US so this might be it for them.

My representatives seemed to encourage me to pre-adopt a hound from the next haul since it sounds like they will be getting more dogs than normal and the organization wants to make sure they can find a home (temporary or permanent) for all of them. That means it will go straight to me off the transport when it arrives, which, uh, wasn’t quite how I expected this would go - I figured somebody else would take the initial hit of teaching them stairs and getting them vaguely housebroken :ohdear:

I’m a little bit intimidated by how fast all of this is happening compared to months of no communication from the other org but hopefully it will go fine. It sounds like the other alternatives are to pay megabucks for a show dog or wait and pay almost-megabucks for an imported ex-racer.

Just be patient and expect a lot of adjustments. Be sure to visit here for advice but it's gonna be a long journey for both of you.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

new video. brought the food over by her as sometimes she doesn't seem to recognize it's usual spot in the kitchen, so it can help encourage her to eat.

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1349397710357598210

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Aww sweet baby

That chitter :kimchi:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Abby :unsmith:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Pre-adopted a long dog!!!!!! 2.5 year old fawn female. Shows up in town on the morning of the 23rd. Already vetted (spayed/microchip/dental) so I don’t need to worry about all of that.

david_a fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 15, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

congrats!

today is Abby's 13th birthday! she's having part of a "chocolate pretzel." yesterday a friend surprised her with a "cupcake!"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody have any tips on surviving the first night? I’m still debating whether to sleep downstairs on the couch or carrying her up to the bedroom (I got advice to wait on stair training until like day 2-3). I would like to not have to move the cage between floors so downstairs she would be in the crate and upstairs she would be confined to my bedroom.

Also I’ve heard that reprogramming their wake up time comes down to not rewarding them for waking up early; IE don’t get up until you want to. Not sure how that interacts with housebreaking though...

Here’s one of the pictures I have. Didn’t have much to go on for the list of dogs beyond some basic stats and a few spotty photos. Katie here had a comment left on her post by somebody that worked with her and said she was a sweetheart, which is literally the only information I have on the behavior of any of the 16 dogs being brought up. Katie’s Game seems pretty tame for a purebred name so I’m keeping it.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The dog should be crate trained, so they shouldn't pee in there even if you sleep a little later than they're used to. Just take them outside as soon as you let them out of the crate though. With a crate trained dog you're not really house training them it's more just expanding their definition of crate. They should pick it up quickly as long as you catch and correct accidents as they happen.

A couple of nights on the sofa would be good until she gets the hang of stairs. It also keeps the distance from the crate to outside to a minimum which should help minimize accidents.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lagomorphic posted:

The dog should be crate trained, so they shouldn't pee in there even if you sleep a little later than they're used to. Just take them outside as soon as you let them out of the crate though. With a crate trained dog you're not really house training them it's more just expanding their definition of crate. They should pick it up quickly as long as you catch and correct accidents as they happen.

A couple of nights on the sofa would be good until she gets the hang of stairs. It also keeps the distance from the crate to outside to a minimum which should help minimize accidents.

I don't think all adoptions groups are requiring crates anymore, I know mine isn't. When I got Abby it was a requirement and it was an absolute disaster. I quickly abandoned it.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I don't crate Gannon either. A dog coming from the track is going to be trained not to pee in the crate though so you want them sleeping in that until they've transitioned to house trained. I actually was living in a place with an enclosed porch with an old sofa in it when I got Gannon and slept out there with him for the first few nights. His first accident was when I got woken by traffic at 5 am the first night and went into the house. He followed me in an promptly peed in the corner of the living room.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I was told it has to do with the age of the dog - young dogs aren’t fans of the crate but older ones love it. Katie is 2.5 which I’ve heard is in the transition period where they may or may not care for it.

At the very least I want a crate for some separation training; no way do I want her going around wherever at first. I’ve also heard it might be good when I visit my parents because she might not see that as her den at first.

Also - do dogs with fawn coats not get a lot of grey hairs? Hard to tell with Abby but I would not have guessed she was 13 from the pics.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
If you look back at my posts Watson loves his crate, and I can't imagine dealing with him without it. If we starting getting out bags he runs into it because he knows he's getting a bully stick or kong.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

congrats!

today is Abby's 13th birthday! she's having part of a "chocolate pretzel." yesterday a friend surprised her with a "cupcake!"

Happy birthday Abby!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for all the Abby happy birthday wishes everyone!

NomNomNom posted:

If you look back at my posts Watson loves his crate, and I can't imagine dealing with him without it. If we starting getting out bags he runs into it because he knows he's getting a bully stick or kong.

there are definitely greyhounds that do really well in crates, I'm just saying they shouldn't be a requirement.

david_a posted:

Also - do dogs with fawn coats not get a lot of grey hairs? Hard to tell with Abby but I would not have guessed she was 13 from the pics.

maybe it's just the low light :p

Her whole muzzle is white, and she has a large white patch on the front of her chest, but not too many grey hairs - the ones she has are right on top of her neck.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oops need pic of course. you can see it in her eyebrows, and then that area on top of her neck between her ears

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ah, ok - I guess it’s just way more dramatic on darker dogs. I’m not used to what greys look like yet :)

Happy birthday old girl!

Anybody here train their hound to be a therapy dog? I’m interested in learning what goes into it. There’s a lot of old people homes around here and I know greyhounds are great for people with limited mobility to pet since they’re so tall.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Ages ago I registered Josie as a Pets as Therapy dog. That is a UK organization though and its requirements will probably be different from whatever group you are looking at.

But for Josie it was that she was good on a lead, didn’t startle or get nervous if there were loud or surprising sounds behind her, and she was ok generally being handled and petted all over. Plus being generally very calm and well mannered, and took treats very gently. But there were no commands she needed to know or special training.

Edit: happy birthday sweet girl Abby!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Anybody have any tips on surviving the first night? I’m still debating whether to sleep downstairs on the couch or carrying her up to the bedroom (I got advice to wait on stair training until like day 2-3). I would like to not have to move the cage between floors so downstairs she would be in the crate and upstairs she would be confined to my bedroom.

Also I’ve heard that reprogramming their wake up time comes down to not rewarding them for waking up early; IE don’t get up until you want to. Not sure how that interacts with housebreaking though...

Here’s one of the pictures I have. Didn’t have much to go on for the list of dogs beyond some basic stats and a few spotty photos. Katie here had a comment left on her post by somebody that worked with her and said she was a sweetheart, which is literally the only information I have on the behavior of any of the 16 dogs being brought up. Katie’s Game seems pretty tame for a purebred name so I’m keeping it.

Omg what a happy girl YOU MUST GET HER

greyhounds for good with routine, so be consistent and it should work out. Be prepared for accidents as you work each other out but praise and treats when they eliminate when and where you want is a good strategy.

actionjackson posted:

I don't think all adoptions groups are requiring crates anymore, I know mine isn't. When I got Abby it was a requirement and it was an absolute disaster. I quickly abandoned it.

Same here, sparty was 2-ish and haaaaated the crate. He only used it because he wanted to please us but was clearly miserable and did everything he could to avoid it.

david_a posted:

Sparty went from this:

To this:

...in the course of only a few years. It's possible his food did it or something but after his muzzle turned white the rest of him hasn't changed.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah Gannon had a little dime sized white spot on the bottom of his chin that just kept moving further up his face every year. It's past his eyes now. His paws have also gone white in the last year or so.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Hmm ok; I’m having visions of Katie’s future here

I mainly have experience with dark haired doggos where it’s much more pronounced. I always think of things like this (also: lol) when I picture old greyhounds, but that dog was black to begin with I think

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Hmm ok; I’m having visions of Katie’s future here

I mainly have experience with dark haired doggos where it’s much more pronounced. I always think of things like this (also: lol) when I picture old greyhounds, but that dog was black to begin with I think

Yeah it's probably the same, just that with fawn there isn't a contrast to tell.

Honestly sparty looks weird to me now with a dark face, like I don't even recognize him. That's not the case with cookie, where I mentally ignore all the gray because she is gonna live forever.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

well adding water to Abby's food worked for a bit but not any more. tried putting in a few things along with that but she doesn't seem to notice. I might go back to using less water and mixing in something else. Something canned, maybe sweet potato?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Remy started limping a bit over a month ago, favoring one leg. After a while he completely stopped putting weight on it, and it got swollen so we took him to the vet, and unfortunately it was confirmed to be bone cancer. We decided to treat it - which meant having the leg removed, and got him back from surgery yesterday.

He's still kinda a bit out of it, but doing ok. He's been motivated to go outside, which is good. Has a bit of trouble figuring out balance and how far he can squat, but hopefully will start to get used to it after a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I love these doggos and wish the best for them