Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Chris Knight posted:

I am not affiliated with the sadwyw spider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'd be down to see most social media vanish.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MononcQc posted:

im hoping Twitter and Facebook go under in a domino effect leading out from this

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh no, every comments section taken down, what a terrible thing

mystes
May 31, 2006

MononcQc posted:

Be the change you want to see.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I can’t see it vanish if I’m not on there

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

oh no, every comments section taken down, what a terrible thing

along with sites like youtube and wikipedia, sure

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Perplx posted:

here’s a chud run isp that would happily host parler

https://twitter.com/copingmaga/status/1348676046728605700?s=21

blocking Facebook and Twitter in the name of anti censorship

drat I hate when stuff goes "into effective".
Do me a favour and go out of effective thanks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FCKGW posted:

along with sites like youtube and wikipedia, sure

nuke anything that cannot be effectively conveyed over 9600 baud imo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

nuke anything that cannot be effectively conveyed over 9600 baud imo

300 baud is reading speed, you don’t need anything faster than that

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
from the solarwinds article

quote:

"The SUNBURST malicious code itself appears to have been designed to provide the perpetrators a way to enter a customer’s IT environment. If exploited, the perpetrators then had to avoid firewalls and other security controls within the customer’s environment."

lol, no poo poo sherlock

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

"you see, this badware is very bad and complex and that's why we didn't catch it" -- probably every c-level management, every year from epoch 0 until forever

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ubiquity got popped?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

idgi

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Jim Watson is hosting 8chan off his personal computer from what I've heard

https://securityboulevard.com/2021/01/hamas-may-be-threat-to-8chan-qanon-online/

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ubiquity got popped?

Looks like it, unauthorised access is a bit of a vague term but it looks like whoever hosts their cloud platform got breached.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ubiquity got popped?

It only took 4 hours to get my password reset link emailed to me from the time I clicked so that's cool

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Wait I thought Hamas was good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

only 90's warez kids do

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Looks like it, unauthorised access is a bit of a vague term but it looks like whoever hosts their cloud platform got breached.

oic

Carthag Tuek posted:

only 90's warez kids do

:tipshat:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Methanar posted:

If the executives want to keep being stupid, I guess the FBI could just as well head over to the DBA's house and pistol whip him until he opens up his laptop, logs into the VPN and unlocks his ssh key to hand over backups to get a nice list of every parler user's contact/identity.

Justify it later that it was a matter of national security to stop an imminent terrorist attack.

maybe dont enable a fascist police state just because they are currently fighting other fascists. thanks.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jan/12/in-bits-the-programmer-locked-out-of-his-130m-bitcoin-account

quote:

Thomas is a San Francisco-based computer programmer, and a decade ago he was given 7,002 bitcoins as a reward for making a video explaining how the cryptocurrency works.

At the time he was paid, they were worth $2-$6 each. He stashed them away in his “digital wallet” and forgot about them.

Now each bitcoin is worth $34,000, and the contents of his wallet are valued at $240m. But Thomas has forgotten the password that will unlock his fortune.

oh my god

quote:

Thomas said he has tried his eight most frequently used passwords to access his IronKey hard drive, but all turned out to be wrong. The device auto-encrypts all contents after the 10th inaccurate guess.

OH MY GOD

quote:

Following the publicity of Thomas’s plight, Alex Stamos, an internet security expert at Stanford Internet Observatory, said he could crack the password within six months if Thomas gave him a 10% cut of the digital fortune.

PISSSSSSSSSSSS

mystes
May 31, 2006

It would be cool if they manage to unlock it like the day after bitcoin becomes worthless again.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
wanna break into his house and make 10 wrong guesses on that ironkey

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You only need to make two :)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I feel like you could physically crack that stick for less than $240m.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

mystes posted:

It would be cool if they manage to unlock it like the day after bitcoin becomes worthless again.

Suddenly dropping about 7k Bitcoin on the market would cause a drop. Which then might inspire a bit of a panic sell off. Now most people know not to flood a market like that to avoid that situation but on the other hand this is Bitcoin.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Varkk posted:

Suddenly dropping about 7k Bitcoin on the market would cause a drop. Which then might inspire a bit of a panic sell off. Now most people know not to flood a market like that to avoid that situation but on the other hand this is Bitcoin.

This gets done with Bitcoin fairly often. people will intentionally dump a load of coins, crash the market and buy a load again when it's at it's dip

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Comedy option: He hasn't actually checked that the bitcoins are still in the address, which was emptied years ago after being generated from a weak brainwallet passphrase

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I remember stories of people crawling around landfills looking for their old hard drive with Bitcoin on it. tbh a friend of mine told me about Bitcoin back in 2010 and I said it sounded like the stupidest poo poo I ever heard of but he had a fuckload of them and cashed out so I guess it is I who am the dummy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
kinda curious what happened to the 10,000 bitcoins that were used to buy a pizza

were they trashed or is one pizza guy now incredibly rich

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

kinda curious what happened to the 10,000 bitcoins that were used to buy a pizza

Pizza place probably long converted it to actual money. Likely almost immediately after receiving payment.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The pizza place never accepted bitcoin, lol, someone ordered it for them in exchange for bitcoin

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like to imagine the nightmare scenario that the guy guessed the password right on the first try except fat fingered it when typing it in
He'll never know.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
http://solarleaks.net/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

haveblue posted:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/AndrewCouts/status/1349080494974115843?s=20

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's me, I'm the secfuck.
I have a couple hundred bitcoins stored in a GBDE encrypted file, and I forgot the password for it too.

To quote the creator: "At least O(2^128) work per sector" -- phk, 2004, in the pdf of the presentation of GBDE.
So I'm not going to wait until after the universe is the same temperature as the cosmic background radiation in order to crack it.

In case you want a chance of the money, here's the pdf of the paper.
Personally, I've just given up.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Pizza place probably long converted it to actual money. Likely almost immediately after receiving payment.

you couldn't at the time, the whole point of that story is that was the first time anyone had ever used bitcoin for literally anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I have a friend with possibly millions in bitcoins in an encrypted drive, it’s in a hidden volume and maybe nested file systems, it’s old and janky and he doesn’t remember how it was setup but at least it won’t self destruct

anyways it’s real funny because one of the only benefits of cryptocurrency is that you can make infinite copies of your private key