Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Are there any stats about which home tools/cooking implements cause the most injuries? I just got a microplane and as I was using it I was thinking about how it could really gently caress up your hand if you made a wrong move.

I suspect that ovens and stoves are pretty high on the list given the ubiquity of use and how easy it is to accidentally burn yourself on one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd guess that it's knives by a long shot, just due to how common they are and how easy it is to gently caress up and cut yourself.

I've done exactly zero research on this, though, so I'm prepared to be wrong.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Manager Hoyden posted:

What's the name of this kind of sauce?

Two parts mayonnaise
One part dijon mustard
Lemon juice
Dill for fish or paprika for everything else

I've been doing it as a dipping sauce for like twenty years and realized today I don't what it's called. Or maybe it's simple enough it doesn't have a name, who knows.

In English, mustard mayonnaise sauce, or sometimes mayonnaise mustard sauce. In French, mayonnaise à la moutarde. In Spanish, mayonesa de mostaza or mayonesa con mostaza.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Khizan posted:

I'd guess that it's knives by a long shot, just due to how common they are and how easy it is to gently caress up and cut yourself.

I've done exactly zero research on this, though, so I'm prepared to be wrong.

CrazySalamander posted:

I suspect that ovens and stoves are pretty high on the list given the ubiquity of use and how easy it is to accidentally burn yourself on one.
When I worked in a restaurant burns were by far the most common injury on the back of the house. You learn to treat literally everything metal as hot until proven otherwise, but long time cook's hands and arms still get covered in burns from making mistakes reaching in and out of ovens and the occasional brain fart. Knives are mostly handled by food prep in non-pressured situations so injuries are uncommon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Badger of Basra posted:

Are there any stats about which home tools/cooking implements cause the most injuries? I just got a microplane and as I was using it I was thinking about how it could really gently caress up your hand if you made a wrong move.

Here are some statistics on knife injuries. No comparison is made to other kitchen tools, though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hooah posted:

I just moved, and our stuff was in storage for about 7 weeks. Now, after one or two loads of laundry since moving in, our washing machine has some kind of dirt or debris on the bottom of the tub. I've run the self-clean cycle many times (once with bleach) and wiped the tub out between each one, but the crap keeps coming back. I'm in the process of troubleshooting with Samsung, but does anyone have any idea what the hell's going on?

Is it possible that the dirt is coming in through the incoming water? If you don't have dirt or sediment coming in through any of your other pipes (kitchen sink, dishwasher, shower) then test the pipes coming direct to your washer. Turn off the water for both hot and cold, disconnect the hoses, get a bucket, run the cold for a minute or so and see if anything comes out. Repeat with the hot. If something comes out, then something in the pipes is coming along for the ride - get a plumber involved.

If that doesn't turn up any results, then you might need to look at the washer. How old is the washer? When you said that your stuff was in storage for 7 weeks, does that include the washer? If so, what was the storage? A storage facility? Someone's basement/garage/barn? The dirt that you are cleaning out, could it be rusty metal? If it shows up after each cycle, run it again, and see if it sticks to a magnet. If that's the case, then you might have some grinding going on inside the machine.

Also, Is the washer a top-load or front load? It doesn't help me troubleshoot, but it might be useful for someone else.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Clearing the filter might also help? If the filter is clogged, gunk just keeps getting recirculated.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Manager Hoyden posted:

What's the name of this kind of sauce?

Two parts mayonnaise
One part dijon mustard
Lemon juice
Dill for fish or paprika for everything else

I've been doing it as a dipping sauce for like twenty years and realized today I don't what it's called. Or maybe it's simple enough it doesn't have a name, who knows.

I've heard it called Dijon Mayo and one strange person called it Mayomust sauce.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

We recently got a king sized bed and holy crap sheets are expensive! Any recommendations that are soft and not super spensive?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is there a goon-recced way to clean a hardwood floor? I mean aside from water and a mop.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

alnilam posted:

We recently got a king sized bed and holy crap sheets are expensive! Any recommendations that are soft and not super spensive?

We really like Target's Threshold line. I'm not sure how many types of sheets they have, so I can't be any more specific than that, unfortunately.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

We really like Target's Threshold line. I'm not sure how many types of sheets they have, so I can't be any more specific than that, unfortunately.

Wirecutter says Target's Threshold are the best budget sheets
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-sheets/

I like the ones from Costco as well, I they were like $60 or $70 for my Cal King set.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CzarChasm posted:

Is it possible that the dirt is coming in through the incoming water? If you don't have dirt or sediment coming in through any of your other pipes (kitchen sink, dishwasher, shower) then test the pipes coming direct to your washer. Turn off the water for both hot and cold, disconnect the hoses, get a bucket, run the cold for a minute or so and see if anything comes out. Repeat with the hot. If something comes out, then something in the pipes is coming along for the ride - get a plumber involved.

If that doesn't turn up any results, then you might need to look at the washer. How old is the washer? When you said that your stuff was in storage for 7 weeks, does that include the washer? If so, what was the storage? A storage facility? Someone's basement/garage/barn? The dirt that you are cleaning out, could it be rusty metal? If it shows up after each cycle, run it again, and see if it sticks to a magnet. If that's the case, then you might have some grinding going on inside the machine.

Also, Is the washer a top-load or front load? It doesn't help me troubleshoot, but it might be useful for someone else.

This is a top-load we got in 2016. It was in a commercial storage unit (put there by the movers). I'll try the water line check tomorrow, if I can find some time; that's a good idea.

FCKGW posted:

Haha, that's probably why we got them, then!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

hooah posted:

This is a top-load we got in 2016. It was in a commercial storage unit (put there by the movers). I'll try the water line check tomorrow, if I can find some time; that's a good idea.

Actually just thought of this too, but I imagine that you have the shut off valves very near the washer, and probably some rubber or flex hose coming off the copper pipes and going to the washer, right? Were these new or did they come with the house? Could be something in there too if the water direct out of the copper pipe is clean.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CzarChasm posted:

Actually just thought of this too, but I imagine that you have the shut off valves very near the washer, and probably some rubber or flex hose coming off the copper pipes and going to the washer, right? Were these new or did they come with the house? Could be something in there too if the water direct out of the copper pipe is clean.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. The hookups are right behind the washer. We kept the flexible metal hoses that we originally got with the washer, so those are also 5.5 years old.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

I like the ones from Costco as well, I they were like $60 or $70 for my Cal King set.

I have the LL Bean percale sheets from that same link.

Worth it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I just moved, and our stuff was in storage for about 7 weeks. Now, after one or two loads of laundry since moving in, our washing machine has some kind of dirt or debris on the bottom of the tub. I've run the self-clean cycle many times (once with bleach) and wiped the tub out between each one, but the crap keeps coming back. I'm in the process of troubleshooting with Samsung, but does anyone have any idea what the hell's going on?

I've seen the lining of cheap stainless supply lines break down like that. So maybe replace those and see if it helps.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've seen the lining of cheap stainless supply lines break down like that. So maybe replace those and see if it helps.

Any recommendations that will take much longer to have any problems?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I built a new office chair but didn't realize they had shims/washers I was supposed to use. Is there going to be any issues with the chair not having those? I'd rather not go back and rebuild it if I don't have to, but if it's gonna fall apart in 6 months because of it I will.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Carillon posted:

I built a new office chair but didn't realize they had shims/washers I was supposed to use. Is there going to be any issues with the chair not having those? I'd rather not go back and rebuild it if I don't have to, but if it's gonna fall apart in 6 months because of it I will.

The shims and washers are meant to take some stress off of individual parts and to make them the proper length after you screwed them into the holes, and they are there for a reason. If you are exceptionally skinny, then it probably won't matter. If you are not, then build your chair again.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

TATPants posted:

The shims and washers are meant to take some stress off of individual parts and to make them the proper length after you screwed them into the holes, and they are there for a reason. If you are exceptionally skinny, then it probably won't matter. If you are not, then build your chair again.

Thanks I figured that was the answer and it's for my dad so I'll do it right.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm looking for a comic frame, or page, and it's bruce banner saying "I think they killed the hulk" and he has like a million tendrils in these really intricate patterns stretching his body out and his eyes are hosed I think? Anyone know what that's from?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I know plugging space heaters into extension cords are a big no no and huge fire hazard, but is it alright to plug it in this way if you set the space heater to the 800/1200W setting and have nothing else at all plugged into the extension cord (wall socket > extension cord > space heater)? I understand the huge fire risk comes from the amount of heat generated at 2000W and extension cords not rated for that sort of power draw, but if you're only pulling 800 or 1200W, surely that's alright? I can't tell if the resounding no you get from a google search is for your average person who'll whack a space heater on a power strip with a bunch of other electronics connected, and set it to the highest power setting and then walk off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the extension cord has thick enough wires, it’s not too long, and the contacts are clean and snug, you’ll be all right.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

This thing is a loving menace too:
https://www.surlatable.com/coarse-grater/PRO-123026.html

Awesome grater but will take a chunk out of your finger if you look at it funny. Much worse than the micro plane which just roughs you up.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm looking for a comic frame, or page, and it's bruce banner saying "I think they killed the hulk" and he has like a million tendrils in these really intricate patterns stretching his body out and his eyes are hosed I think? Anyone know what that's from?

The Immortal Hulk #39

Hi

Does anyone know what band this is? (or even who the people in this picture are)

Halloween Liker fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 12, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

What’s the context for that picture of Bruce Banner?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

What’s the context for that picture of Bruce Banner?

In short, that's from the (current?) Hulk run, Immortal Hulk. It's not just difficult to kill the Hulk now, it's literally impossible. And if you did manage to kill him somehow, he just walks through a green door in hell and shows back up good as new. So there is a lot of body horror stuff going on in those pages right now.

If the run hasn't ended yet it will very soon and will likely be collected in trade by the end of the year.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

In short, that's from the (current?) Hulk run, Immortal Hulk. It's not just difficult to kill the Hulk now, it's literally impossible. And if you did manage to kill him somehow, he just walks through a green door in hell and shows back up good as new. So there is a lot of body horror stuff going on in those pages right now.

If the run hasn't ended yet it will very soon and will likely be collected in trade by the end of the year.

:stonk:

I think I might be tempted to return to Marvel to read one last comic run...

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

:stonk:

I think I might be tempted to return to Marvel to read one last comic run...

I don't even like comics, and I've been following the Immortal Hulk run. It's written as horror rather than action which is good.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I'm worried about my Grandmother who is in her 90s and keeps losing her cell phone. My sister got some kind of tile to put on the phone that makes a ringing sound when activated from a smartphone, but both my father and grandmother are too hard of hearing to hear it. And neither of us are around much. Is there some solution to help old people who can't hear and are bad with technology, maybe find a lost phone?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Cheese Thief posted:

I'm worried about my Grandmother who is in her 90s and keeps losing her cell phone. My sister got some kind of tile to put on the phone that makes a ringing sound when activated from a smartphone, but both my father and grandmother are too hard of hearing to hear it. And neither of us are around much. Is there some solution to help old people who can't hear and are bad with technology, maybe find a lost phone?
The Find My Phone feature on Apple watches/iPhones has an option to flash the LED. I imagine there are Android apps or Tile-equivalents that have flashing LED's too.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there a goon-recced way to clean a hardwood floor? I mean aside from water and a mop.

I'm also curious about this, as I just moved into a place with gorgeous hardwoods after ages of generic beige apartment wall-to-wall.

I did buy a nifty Mr Clean mop for $7 at Dollar General, it's got a fuzzy side for general dusting, and a spongy side for wet-mopping. The cover is machine-washable, too, so unlike a Swiffer you don't have to buy refills.

My big issue is we've been moving in the winter, and before we got a welcome mat, we were tracking salt from the outside steps up the inside stairs. Looking for an effective way to get the white footprints off while not loving up the finish...?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Gobbeldygook posted:

The Find My Phone feature on Apple watches/iPhones has an option to flash the LED. I imagine there are Android apps or Tile-equivalents that have flashing LED's too.

one of the few useful features of a google home speaker is being able to say "hey google, where's my phone?" which will make it ring at full volume. i use it for my android phone and it works without any setup since it recognizes my voice. i think for iphones you can have it call them, but that requires the ringer to be turned up. there are tons of speakers that can do this, you just need one with google assistant.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

one of the few useful features of a google home speaker is being able to say "hey google, where's my phone?" which will make it ring at full volume. i use it for my android phone and it works without any setup since it recognizes my voice. i think for iphones you can have it call them, but that requires the ringer to be turned up. there are tons of speakers that can do this, you just need one with google assistant.

You can make Find My (from the web browser or another Apple device) cause a loud noise as well.

Not gonna help people who can't hear though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Am I missing something or can we assume this person can hear it when their phone rings (otherwise it wouldn't be very useful) so maybe they can just call it from another phone when it gets lost?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

tuyop posted:

oof, missed that part. it turns on the screen, too, but that's not a lot of help

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

tuyop posted:

You can make Find My (from the web browser or another Apple device) cause a loud noise as well.

She has a flip phone that she doesnt even know how to use. I was thinking something like a panic button, loud like a car alarm? But the transmitter and receiver have to separate.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, the water runs clean all the way through the hoses. I guess the problem is indeed somewhere inside the washer :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Halloween Liker posted:

The Immortal Hulk #39

Hi

Does anyone know what band this is? (or even who the people in this picture are)

Guy in front might possibly be a young Mike Patton or Layne Staley? How old is this picture