Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Forbidden rock candy tastes like blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there a secret to sharpening very long, thin, flexible blades? I tried yesterday with my father in law's slicer and I made it better than it was, but not great. For the life of me I could not keep that fucker flat on the whetstone. It made me want to create a clamp-on spine to stiffen it like they put on dovetail saws.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Just do the blade in multiple segments, apply pressure with three fingers. Once you have the whole blade sharp you can switch and do the whole length of the edge with lighter pressure

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Lawnie posted:

I would love to get my hands on one of these fragments, just for curiosity’s sake. Does the fracture surface look like rock candy?

I sent it back and they sent me a new one so don't have it any more.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lawnie posted:

I would love to get my hands on one of these fragments, just for curiosity’s sake. Does the fracture surface look like rock candy?
The classic presentation would be more like sand, possibly with striations (called river lines) emanating from the defect that caused the fracture.

If it was actually the result of bending (which it absolutely wasn't) you'd also expect to find evidence of plastic deformation inside the "elbow" of the bend, which would look kinda like taffy or something like that. And if it was due to metal fatigue from repeated bending (which it also absolutely wasn't) you'd expect to see parallel or concentric striations (called beach marks) indicating progression of the fatigue. When you end up with two pieces that fit perfectly back together none of that happened.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

SubG posted:

The classic presentation would be more like sand, possibly with striations (called river lines) emanating from the defect that caused the fracture.

If it was actually the result of bending (which it absolutely wasn't) you'd also expect to find evidence of plastic deformation inside the "elbow" of the bend, which would look kinda like taffy or something like that. And if it was due to metal fatigue from repeated bending (which it also absolutely wasn't) you'd expect to see parallel or concentric striations (called beach marks) indicating progression of the fatigue. When you end up with two pieces that fit perfectly back together none of that happened.

If it was a ductile failure (which it guaranteed was not) the fracture surfaces would still fit back together. What do you think happens when it fractures that they wouldn't fit back together? BTW not directed at anyone in particular but NEVER PUT FRACTURE SURFACES BACK TOGETHER. You damage/destroy the surface.

But about fatigue - there are three regimes to a fatigue fracture surface. In the first stage, you have slow crack growth by fatigue. Both beach marks and striations can appear here, depending on the nature of the loading. In the second stage, you have rapid growth and the surface looks like dimples. In the third stage, you have rupture (i.e. it breaks) where the appearance is brittle in nature.

Given that this knife was almost certainly undertempered, it likely failed by brittle fracture, in which case the whole surface would look like .. well, "rock candy" might be one way to describe it.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say, though.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 12, 2021

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

totalnewbie posted:

If it was a ductile failure (which it guaranteed was not) the fracture surfaces would still fit back together. What do you think happens when it fractures that they wouldn't fit back together?
Plastic deformation, by definition. And if it was due to fatigue, necking. If you have two surfaces that mate together perfectly neither has happened. That's not to say that you can't line up edges of pieces that experienced ductile failure (assuming you have exactly two pieces). If that's the point you're trying to make.

That knife looks like you could JB Weld it back together and it would look more or less the way it looked coming from the factory. If it was a beam that failed due to being bent over a point support (the garlic) due to load, then the fracture surface near the top of the knife would have the grainy appearance of a brittle fracture (because that part failed in tension) and then lower edge would be deformed into a inverted U shape bisected by the fracture. Putting the pieces back together you'd be able to line up the edges of the U, but the two pieces wouldn't mate perfectly, because the lower edges of the fracture are bent.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Lawnie works as a metallurgist iirc.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

Lawnie works as a metallurgist iirc.

One with a speciality in failure analysis, even! There are a few other metallurgists or materials scientists on the forums, too; I think totalnewbie might be one of them, actually.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For what it's worth it didn't noticeably bend or deform while I was using it. One minute it was in one piece and the next into, without much if any warning.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Carillon posted:

For what it's worth it didn't noticeably bend or deform while I was using it. One minute it was in one piece and the next into, without much if any warning.

Sounds like it was quenched from too high a temperature and/or tempered at too low a temperature or not at all. Or they got a bad batch of the steel they were using which didn't react well to their normal heat treat process (or there was simply a significant hidden flaw in the steel)

Thus, hard and brittle and it snaps with no warning.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I snapped a steak knife in half once. The grain structure was fine, but there was a brown spot near the edge. Some kind of microfracture or whatever. I'm not a metal scientist but I've seen every episode of Forged in Fire.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

One of my nicer knives has such a thin tip I bend it any time I do a rocking chop.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It was a pre-ordered Misen knife, this isn't a metallurgy mystery it's a known manufacturing flaw

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Lawnie posted:

One with a speciality in failure analysis, even! There are a few other metallurgists or materials scientists on the forums, too; I think totalnewbie might be one of them, actually.

I've got a piece of paper that agrees with you though I haven't done much of it for quite a while.

...say, are you working in failure analysis? How do I get your job? :P

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

totalnewbie posted:

I've got a piece of paper that agrees with you though I haven't done much of it for quite a while.

I believe Highlander rules must apply, but with a twist: after they die in a mysterious accident, you must perform the failure analysis to prove that the elevator cable giving way or whatever was really just fatigue, no, really, it's totally normal and not suspicious at all. Once you get away with it, the job is yours.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

I honestly wish I had a good answer for you, I’ve been trying to find a position elsewhere in the country for a while to no avail. I lucked into it thanks to a headcount reduction at my company a few years ago (oh my god it’s been almost 7 years actually).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The crown jewel of my knife collection is supposed to arrive tomorrow I hope it is everything I have built it up to be and it fills the emptiness I feel inside

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

The crown jewel of my knife collection is supposed to arrive tomorrow I hope it is everything I have built it up to be and it fills the emptiness I feel inside

Cutco or Ginsu?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ronco

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Case?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
What is the knife sharpener that people recommend? You know those knock-off ones of the stone on a stick that keeps the same angle (the knife is static and the stone moves). I have a couple of pretty good stones, but my sharpening abilities are only ok and with 3 kids I can't be bothered to get good at it unfortunately but would still like to have nice sharp knives and would prefer to do it myself.

Something like that. But that specific one is like 15$ so I'm guessing it's probably a piece of crap. Is there a recommended brand or recommended knock off brand that does a good job?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 15, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KingColliwog posted:

What is the knife sharpener that people recommend? You know those knock-off ones of the stone on a stick that keeps the same angle (the knife is static and the stone moves). I have a couple of pretty good stones, but my sharpening abilities are only ok and with 3 kids I can't be bothered to get good at it unfortunately but would still like to have nice sharp knives and would prefer to do it myself.

Something like that. But that specific one is like 15$ so I'm guessing it's probably a piece of crap. Is there a recommended brand or recommended knock off brand that does a good job?

I use the Wicked Edge system and I think it's good but it's pretty pricey. My guess would be you can get 90% as good for like 35% of the price but I don't know what knock off that would be though I would say that if it's $15 it's probably not that one :)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It has arrived. I'm gonna go dice an onion.

I will say that it doesn't have a crazy sharp factory edge but I don't care I'll put one on it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Welp, the Zwilling guy was at Costco today. I've been eyeballing premium knives for the last five years, but never pulled the trigger. I hope Biden comes through with the stimulus because I'm now a proud owner of the Henckels Pro 9 piece knife set.

While my Home Shopping Network Wolfgang Puck knives were good enough when kept sharp, I had a few nicer knives mixed in, and the difference was quite noticeable.

However, I'm now looking for some Steak Knives. Anyone got a recommendation for something cheap enough to give to my guests but isn't going to shred meat into a fine powder with it's poor serrations? I'm probably weaning towards a Victorinox, but am open to suggestions.

KingColliwog posted:

I bought the Spyderco Sharpmaker 10 years ago. It's a pain in the rear end on big knives because you have to do half the length and then half the length. But it works well enough and doesn't take much time.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

So I've had the SBZ stainless since whenever I've posted about buying it or getting it or whatever.

It's pretty good! I don't think I can say anything about it that hasn't already been said. Needs sharpening out of the gate, but takes to an edge well enough and the weight and relatively zero belly (mine does have a very, very small curve to it which I intend to sharpen out) does what you basically expect. I bought it mostly for mincing and whatnot and like, yup, that's a drat fine knife for it. I've zero complaints.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

FogHelmut posted:

I bought the Spyderco Sharpmaker 10 years ago. It's a pain in the rear end on big knives because you have to do half the length and then half the length. But it works well enough and doesn't take much time.

I ended buying the apex clone by ruixin with 4 stones. Once I flattened the stone I found it amazing and perfect for my use. I tried it on 4 different knives of different length, steel type and stiffness and it did well enough on all of them. I really recommend it since it's pretty cheap.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
Does anyone have a good recommendation for an Nakiri? Price range ~100-200

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Skooms posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an Nakiri? Price range ~100-200

I have a Tsunehisa G3 Migaki Nakuru 165mm that I really like, but it doesn’t release all that well (cucumbers stick, etc), but it is really comfy to use and stupid sharp. Like really, really sharp.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Hey all, I finally sat down and tried out sharpening my knives by hand properly and now they're nice and feel sharp and chop things goodlike, which is great. My chef's knife also bites into my cheap plastic cutting board and as a result I can't rocking cut, and instead have to chop cut instead, which is not so great though not the end of the world. Is this a natural thing and I need better cutting boards or did I gently caress up my sharpening somehow?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah plastic cutting boards are soft plastic as to not ruin the knifes edge and will get chopped up over time. Luckily they're cheap.

Also I saw Gordon Ramsay yelling at a restaurant on one of his shows about their cutting board. He took the knife perpendicular to the board and scraped it smooth. There are special tools for this or you can use sandpaper if you don't want to do it with your knife.

Food bits can get into the crevices from the knife cuts and can stain the board. Soaking with hydrogen peroxide is a good way to clean the stains.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Switch to a nice wooden chopping board, and save the plastic one for chucking in the dishwasher after cutting raw meat.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pablo Bluth posted:

Switch to a nice wooden chopping board, and save the plastic one for chucking in the dishwasher after cutting raw meat.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

I wish Ikea still sold the one that I bought a decade ago. End grain maple butchers block about 2-3 inches thick. I think it was less than 25 Canuckistanian kopeks. No warps, still as good as new, but I don't hack the hell out of it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Switch to a nice wooden chopping board, and save the plastic one for chucking in the dishwasher after cutting raw meat. trash

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get yourself some of those knobbly glass cutting boards they’re really nice.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

If you hate your knife edges, yes

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My dad's old house had one of these built into the counter when he moved in.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

300mm sujihiki has been working out well. I was nervous initially for not going with the 330mm because the cost was already up there (for me at least), and that I’d have regrets. But the 300mm actually feels great. It’s only purpose is to pull sashimi from saku or filet, so the length is enough. I just have to be a little bit more intentional in my cuts than I would with an extra 30mm.

quote:

“OUL Wa-Sujihiki. Blade is hand forged with Ginsanko stainless (silver 3 steel). Walnut octagon handle with pakka ferrule.

The OUL Ginsanko series knives are forged by Naotaka Yamatsuka, one of the few Sakai blacksmiths that forges with Ginsanko. They are very easy to sharpen and don’t rust! They are ground by Maruyama-san, a very talented up and coming sharpener, and have excellent, thin grinds.

Ginsanko is a fine grained, high carbon content (1% + carbon), low chromium (13%) stainless steel with the cutting and sharpening feel of a carbon steel, but less maintenance with regard to reactivity.

Blade is hand forged with Ginsanko stainless (silver 3 steel). Walnut octagon handle with pakka ferrule.

The OUL Ginsanko series knives are forged by Naotaka Yamatsuka, one of the few Sakai blacksmiths that forges with Ginsanko. They are very easy to sharpen and don’t rust! They are ground by Maruyama-san, a very talented up and coming sharpener, and have excellent, thin grinds.

Ginsanko is a fine grained, high carbon content (1% + carbon), low chromium (13%) stainless steel with the cutting and sharpening feel of a carbon steel, but less maintenance with regard to reactivity.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Is this stupid?
https://www.horl.com/dk_en/sharpeners/horl-sharpener