Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Said it before but I’m a big fan of Feast. There’s not as much action, but I don’t read the books for action to begin with. There’s some great character moments, especially with Jaime and Cersei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Said it before but I’m a big fan of Feast. There’s not as much action, but I don’t read the books for action to begin with. There’s some great character moments, especially with Jaime and Cersei.

I agree. I hit that same wall with feast the first time, but honestly how could you not after the rush of action that clash had. Feast and even more dance felt like a slog the first time, but on re-read Feast is my favorite of any of the books.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Proust Malone posted:

I agree. I hit that same wall with feast the first time, but honestly how could you not after the rush of action that clash had. Feast and even more dance felt like a slog the first time, but on re-read Feast is my favorite of any of the books.

That is a loving great avatar.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dance has a lot of good parts

- Frey pies
- Victarion being an idiot
- the horror shortstory when Whatshisname tries to steal the dragons
- Stannis's death march to Winterfell

Without the pointless Tyrion chapters it's a good book

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

chaosapiant posted:

Yeah I hated AFFC the first time through, but my second time through it actually became a favorite.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I'm sure it's been linked in this thread before but The Meereenese Blot is a rewarding read for anyone who at least kind-of liked AFFC and ADWD. GRRM is trying harder in these later books than it first appears (at least to me).

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zippy the Bummer posted:

That is a loving great avatar.

Thanks. I stole it brazenly from a thread here a while back after changing the username I’d had for like 12 years.

I’m also of the opinion that the reaction people have to dance is grrm’s intentional writing in of Dany’s alienation of being surrounded by and enveloped into this alien culture.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I never got into Victarion. I guess when I first read it I didn't get the vibe that he kind of parallels Cersei and her idiocy (I liked her chapters a lot) and was kind of bored by him. Maybe I should reread his chapters, given how much you guys like him.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

mastajake posted:

I never got into Victarion. I guess when I first read it I didn't get the vibe that he kind of parallels Cersei and her idiocy (I liked her chapters a lot) and was kind of bored by him. Maybe I should reread his chapters, given how much you guys like him.

It’s just that they have the only cool part which is his lava arm

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kuiperdolin posted:

Dance has a lot of good parts

- Frey pies
- Victarion being an idiot
- the horror shortstory when Whatshisname tries to steal the dragons
- Stannis's death march to Winterfell

Without the pointless Tyrion chapters it's a good book

I think it's generally agreed that after Storm, GRRM's publishers and editors basically lost/rescinded all control over their cash cow in terms of structuring his material which is why Feast and Dance still have the bedrock of a good ASoIaF book but are seen by most to fail even when "it's supposed to be a boring travelogue/interstitial book" is taken into full account.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I really admire how Martin was able to write Cersei's point-of-view chapters. She's happily unaware of the potential consequences of her actions while the audience is reading between the lines and seeing with horror exactly how quickly her choices are loving over the realm.

But otherwise...yeah, Feast and Dance are just people spinning their wheels and setting things up for some climaxes we aren't ever going to get. japes on us i guess

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mind the walrus posted:

I think it's generally agreed that after Storm, GRRM's publishers and editors basically lost/rescinded all control over their cash cow in terms of structuring his material which is why Feast and Dance still have the bedrock of a good ASoIaF book but are seen by most to fail even when "it's supposed to be a boring travelogue/interstitial book" is taken into full account.

The power dynamics in writing are really messed up, and then they completely switch for some authors at some point, and it's like suddenly you got promoted twice, and now your former boss is your employee.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yup, GRRM went from a respectable also-ran journeyman with an impressive grassroots passion project to a Superstar Writer With an HBO Show In the Works TM and it's very clear no one could tell him his artistic instincts needed direction. Suddenly he really did become the cliché "You can't rush genius!" rear end in a top hat who abuses his status to extend deadlines and gets needlessly experimental, and two decades later we've seen the fruit that it's borne-- probably good enough if you were close in his orbit, but definitely not "The American Tolkien" in any sense but the most backhanded, derisive ways.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mind the walrus posted:

Yup, GRRM went from a respectable also-ran journeyman with an impressive grassroots passion project to a Superstar Writer With an HBO Show In the Works TM and it's very clear no one could tell him his artistic instincts needed direction. Suddenly he really did become the cliché "You can't rush genius!" rear end in a top hat who abuses his status to extend deadlines and gets needlessly experimental, and two decades later we've seen the fruit that it's borne-- probably good enough if you were close in his orbit, but definitely not "The American Tolkien" in any sense but the most backhanded, derisive ways.

To be fair Tolkien spent like a decade writing the lord of the rings, and I think the whole trilogy is like one Gurm episode, but he did finish them, he didn't write two then gallivant off to start the Similarrion vols 1-3

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I said it before but I really liked the Brienne countryside travelogue. I mean that was probably for me the highlight of Feast along with Cersei's self-destruct-o-rama. I still get chills from Septon Meribald's speech about broken men, even if GRRM hammered the point in pretty hard, I still liked it a lot.

e: And we did not get the speech in the TV series. You even had Ian McShane and couldn't give him this speech.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 13, 2021

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mind the walrus posted:

This would sort of be true if his deadlines didn’t start getting wildly out of whack and missed prior to the show ever being a thing. The writing was on the wall (but not the page lol) that every book would take longer and longer to come out even in 2005 with Feast.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

TeaJay posted:

I said it before but I really liked the Brienne countryside travelogue. I mean that was probably for me the highlight of Feast along with Cersei's self-destruct-o-rama. I still get chills from Septon Meribald's speech about broken men, even if GRRM hammered the point in pretty hard, I still liked it a lot.

e: And we did not get the speech in the TV series. You even had Ian McShane and couldn't give him this speech.

Arnie did it instead.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Hound going ham with the axe kind of made up for it tho.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

This would sort of be true if his deadlines didn’t start getting wildly out of whack and missed prior to the show ever being a thing. The writing was on the wall (but not the page lol) that every book would take longer and longer to come out even in 2005 with Feast.
The show was in the works and the hype machine was massive (by fantasy book standards) pretty much as soon as Storm got published. Everything I said applies to 2000-2011.

TeaJay posted:

loving right? It's like the showrunners were trust fund brats who didn't appreciate what they had in front of them.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TeaJay posted:

I like it but it's also clearly redundant with the Abbot's speech on Fair Isle. Both were fine, one had to go, both stayed. Which links to the point above about being editor-proof.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

I like it but it's also clearly redundant with the Abbot's speech on Fair Isle. Both were fine, one had to go, both stayed. Which links to the point above about being editor-proof.

This. Keeping both, along with other stuff along Brienne's travel, made her whole arc a long "This war is baaad, m'kay? Don't do war. 'Cause it's bad."

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

pseudanonymous posted:

To be fair Tolkien spent like a decade writing the lord of the rings, and I think the whole trilogy is like one Gurm episode, but he did finish them, he didn't write two then gallivant off to start the Similarrion vols 1-3

Hobbit was published in 1937 and the LOTR in 1954. Tolkien wrote his publisher telling them the Hobbit sequel was aaaalmost finished in 1941. He had a few smaller, unrelated works like Leaf by Niggle and Farmer Giles published in between. So from the perspective of someone waiting for a Hobbit sequel it wouldn't feel that different from what GRRM's doing, except that the Hobbit is a perfectly good self contained story instead of being a half finished series with no ending. Also Tolkien had the excuse of holding down a full time job as a professor, raising 4 kids and, you know, a world war breaking out in the middle.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Hobbit was published in 1937 and the LOTR in 1954. Tolkien wrote his publisher telling them the Hobbit sequel was aaaalmost finished in 1941.

What an absolute motherfucker Tolkien was, wow.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Hobbit was published in 1937 and the LOTR in 1954. Tolkien wrote his publisher telling them the Hobbit sequel was aaaalmost finished in 1941. He had a few smaller, unrelated works like Leaf by Niggle and Farmer Giles published in between. So from the perspective of someone waiting for a Hobbit sequel it wouldn't feel that different from what GRRM's doing, except that the Hobbit is a perfectly good self contained story instead of being a half finished series with no ending. Also Tolkien had the excuse of holding down a full time job as a professor, raising 4 kids and, you know, a world war breaking out in the middle.

Also, Farmer Giles is hilarious.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

1) Rudy, you stupid rear end in a top hat. 2) Tyrion lost his trial by combat. 3) Rudy.... You stupid rear end in a top hat.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Won the first one though.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

mastajake posted:

I only read Dance once, and that was right when it came out (actually, it was before it came out, I trudged through the cell-phone-camera images of the pages that some bookstore worker took and leaked - those were the days). The things I remember about Victarion were that he seemed like a brave but not-too-bright pirate and that he had a bromance with the tattooed red priest who I always visualized as Darth Maul.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Well whatever happens we got a great Crusader Kings mod out of it

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Kylaer posted:

I only read Dance once, and that was right when it came out (actually, it was before it came out, I trudged through the cell-phone-camera images of the pages that some bookstore worker took and leaked - those were the days). The things I remember about Victarion were that he seemed like a brave but not-too-bright pirate and that he had a bromance with the tattooed red priest who I always visualized as Darth Maul.

The only thing I remember about him is his arm breaking open with evil magic stuff for... some reason. I don't think I remember anything about that book other than that, Onion Knight hanging out with some fat dude and his food, and Daeny making GBS threads water.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dany making GBS threads herself in agony in an empty field is the most dignified way this series could have ended.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
I feel like the show removing all the religious and magical stuff screwed it over in the end. Like Bran and Arya just get gutted plotwise because like all their stuff is religious and magical.

Also reading AFFC and ADWD back to back is infinitely better since it's one book split into two. I also think your favorite POVs play into it.

I think GRRM's refusal to either cut things,do a timeskip,or add another book is what's screwing him over. Also we should've been getting Dornish chapters in ASoS if he was going to go into detail about them. Like just needs to go gently caress it and go at AGoT pace again and just age everyone up/get everyone into place.

If I recall Cersei and Jon and Stannis were the problematic ones in terms of a timeskip, so if Cersei and Stannis die he could do it still.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 19, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SirKibbles posted:

Also we should've been getting Dornish chapters in ASoS if he was going to go into detail about them.

Reminds me of Shara from The Wheel of Time. For some reason, like with the Land of Madness and mainland Seanchan, we never got any chapters or stories dealing with them. And then Jordan died and his Ersatzauthor went just WELP HERE THEY ARE and then there were Sharans. :v:

Maybe we will get tons of new Dornish chapters when GRRM finally buys it and Sanderson gets to write the end of ASoIaF?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Libluini posted:

Reminds me of Shara from The Wheel of Time. For some reason, like with the Land of Madness and mainland Seanchan, we never got any chapters or stories dealing with them. And then Jordan died and his Ersatzauthor went just WELP HERE THEY ARE and then there were Sharans. :v:

Maybe we will get tons of new Dornish chapters when GRRM finally buys it and Sanderson gets to write the end of ASoIaF?

Arianne's fine and Aero Hotah has deposable written all over him. It's why a done buy the Arianne and the Sand Snakes all die in an explosion thing. I feel like that's just people not liking the chapters and wanting them to be done with rather than any logical conclusion. The show did it because they didn't give a drat and wanted to do Star Wars and it screwed them over.

If I had to pick the dead Martells it be Doran and Aero (pretty much guaranteed) maybes: Nymeria Sand (Wanting to kill children gets you turbo murdered) Tyene Sand (For maximum Arianne angst ) and pick 1 out of Ned Dayne,Obara,or Sarella for dies during the long night.

I think Elia Sand is super safe based on the fact that Arya has like negative amounts of female friends and with Elia just being basically Dornish Arya.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Libluini posted:

Reminds me of Shara from The Wheel of Time.

Sorry to cross the streams here but I’m halfway through the first book and all I’m feeling is that it’s a Tolkien ripoff. Does it get better or should I eject now?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

I think GRRM's refusal to either cut things,do a timeskip,or add another book is what's screwing him over. Also we should've been getting Dornish chapters in ASoS if he was going to go into detail about them. Like just needs to go gently caress it and go at AGoT pace again and just age everyone up/get everyone into place.

If I recall Cersei and Jon and Stannis were the problematic ones in terms of a timeskip, so if Cersei and Stannis die he could do it still.
What's especially funny is that if GRRM had just held out and learned 21st Century marketing he would have realized that he could have timejumped to his heart's content and then done tie-in content to fill in the gaps for Cersei, Jon, and Stannis and whomever else as long after-the-fact as he felt like, and people would have eaten it the gently caress up.

But nope I'm the American Tolkien got to make sure there are no inconsistencies in and everything feels "real" like all my critics and fans say but no I am not going to change my process for structuring my writing one bit to fulfill this exceptionally lofty goal.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Proust Malone posted:

Sorry to cross the streams here but I’m halfway through the first book and all I’m feeling is that it’s a Tolkien ripoff. Does it get better or should I eject now?

You should come join us in the Wheel of Time Thread! We're good about spoilers when we know new readers are there.

For Eye of the World though, yea the first 3/4ths of it really screams Lord of the Rings, but after that it goes in entirely its own direction. I'd say if you're enjoying everything but the LotR-isms then keep at it. If you don't like it by the end of book two or three though, feel free to jump ship.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Proust Malone posted:

I tend to believe the theory he deliberately mirrored the lord of the rings for a big chunk of the first book. I think books1-5 are good but then it falls off.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Proust Malone posted:

The Tolkein elements drop away really quickly about 3/4ths of the way into the first book, and the series really comes into it's own starting in book 2, Whether you'll like it after that I dunno -- even the best elements of the books end up being stretched loving thin over 14.5 volumes -- but WoT really became its own particular flavor of fantasy that's never successfully been copied, (although a lot of authors dropped giant bricks shaped like books trying).

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Libluini posted:

IDK, I kind of enjoyed that aspect of it. The books tell you next to nothing about Shara and then BOOM they're here to gently caress poo poo up and uh oh maybe shouldn't have assumed certain threats were just twiddling thumbs in the background the whole time.

It's not something that Jordan would've done but if that's Sanderson's editorial contribution to the series I'm fine with it.

Proust Malone posted:

It gets way better. Books 2 & 3 depart from the Tolkien ripoff feeling and establish the story in it's own right, 4-6 are awesome, 7-10 are kind of muddled but have some high points, 11 is the reset and then 12-14 are just high ball octane bringing everything together.

Overall they're better than average and have been a huge influence on modern fantasy but I'm biased obviously.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 20, 2021