Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cicero posted:

Agreed, except for typos. It's pretty awful there. And I think the author still doesn't know the difference between discreet and discrete.

just pretend those are also typos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jade Mage posted:

That's a good point I never considered. I have had trouble finding fantasy books I enjoyed that weren't Pratchett before web serials. Now it's just a matter of reading the first few chapters of like 5 and seeing what I like.

A *lot* of fantasy/sci-fi is generally just a much more polished version of the same sort of wish-fulfillment stuff that applies to many web serials/WNs. It's always a pain trying to find new things to read, because I've found that reviews for fantasy books are extremely unreliable, with the most highly rated ones usually being the ones that are the worst about the blatant wish-fulfillment stuff.

The strategy I've developed is to look at the bad reviews instead of the good ones or the aggregate score - usually finding the reasons why people disliked a book is more useful than finding the reasons people liked it, and will quickly reveal what sort of problems the book suffers from.

Cicero posted:

Agreed, except for typos. It's pretty awful there. And I think the author still doesn't know the difference between discreet and discrete.

Yeah, I've learned to just ignore/excuse this stuff with fast-published web serials. Forge/Threads of Destiny can also be pretty bad about typos/grammar mistakes.

In general I'm pretty tolerant of that sort of thing (unless the prose is just extremely terrible, like in machine-translated Chinese WNs or something). The sort of thing that "destroys immersion" (or whatever you want to call it) for me is more subtle and hard to pinpoint. Sometimes there's just something about the characters/setting/dialogue that makes me constantly aware that I'm reading something an author is making up as they go along.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

In general I'm pretty tolerant of that sort of thing (unless the prose is just extremely terrible, like in machine-translated Chinese WNs or something). The sort of thing that "destroys immersion" (or whatever you want to call it) for me is more subtle and hard to pinpoint. Sometimes there's just something about the characters/setting/dialogue that makes me constantly aware that I'm reading something an author is making up as they go along.

One of the things I hate about He Who Fights Monsters (aside from how the main character is now the ~zany~ guy/puppeteer) is how everyone "said" their lines. The author never goes beyond that. I don't think he ever uses anything else (explains, retorted, admitted, mutters, cries, yelled, smiled, looked down, blushed, spat, demanded, etc.) when the characters speak.

It just feels really artificial, like the people aren't really feeling anything when they talk.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Narmi posted:

One of the things I hate about He Who Fights Monsters (aside from how the main character is now the ~zany~ guy/puppeteer) is how everyone "said" their lines. The author never goes beyond that. I don't think he ever uses anything else (explains, retorted, admitted, mutters, cries, yelled, smiled, looked down, blushed, spat, demanded, etc.) when the characters speak.

It just feels really artificial, like the people aren't really feeling anything when they talk.

"Use 'say' most often" was advice that I got in a high school writing class. I, with my engineer brain, took that to its extreme and wound up using "say" almost exclusively, to the point where I would go edit out better words in my second draft. In retrospect I think this was bad advice and should have come with more qualifiers, or if it did I don't remember them. I recall that the explanation was something along the lines of "dialogue should be seamless and 'say' is invisible to readers", which is true, but also ignores that having invisible words in your text passes up on the opportunity to have words with more meaning in it instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if the author got similar advice.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Narmi posted:

Weirdly enough, I have a ton of criticisms of HWFWM but that isn't one of them. Said is effectively an invisible word 99% of the time, and if you don't have a specific dialogue tag in mind, I say you should just use said. I don't know if excessive dialogue tags are the most common new author problem, but it's something I see a lot.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

blastron posted:

"Use 'say' most often" was advice that I got in a high school writing class. I, with my engineer brain, took that to its extreme and wound up using "say" almost exclusively, to the point where I would go edit out better words in my second draft. In retrospect I think this was bad advice and should have come with more qualifiers, or if it did I don't remember them. I recall that the explanation was something along the lines of "dialogue should be seamless and 'say' is invisible to readers", which is true, but also ignores that having invisible words in your text passes up on the opportunity to have words with more meaning in it instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if the author got similar advice.

My understanding was that dialogue flows better and is easier to understand with fewer interruptions, and say is, as you put, basically invisible. I've certainly noticed in the past when an author goes out of their way to use say as little as possible, and I find it really distracting.

That doesn't mean that anything other than say shouldn't be used, just that their use should be considered. When declare is used, for example, it's best when the statement is an actual declaration by a character. If a section of dialogue doesn't have moments that justify using something other than say, than that's a signal that it could use a little attention to adjust the conversation for those to fit instead of just adding them in to provide qualifiers after the fact.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I can kind of understand using in a low-key manner, since it's a very neutral word. The problem I have is that the author uses it almost exclusively, so you do start to notice it after awhile. It feels like a scene is just "still" somehow, like nothing's happening except the dialogue. And it does limit the dialogue when you could add more emotion/emphasis to the story, or give a character something to do while they talk

Here's a scene from the one of the latest chapters:

quote:

“If the EOA had so many defections, it sounds like they messed up,” Ken said.

“No,” Yumi said. “They knew the price and were willing to pay it. They came in ready to make sacrifices in order to grab the initiative.”

“Which is exactly what they’ve done,” Jason said. “Their so-called superheroes are dominating the narrative,” Jason said.

“Piggybacking off of you,” Erika said.

“I’m only a part of it,” Jason said. “Most likely it was opportunism. If I hadn’t come along, it would have made marginal difference to their plan.”

“So, what now?” Erika asked.

“The Network has me on standby right now,” Jason said. “They want me ready to go when silver-rank monsters appear. They also want to establish that the government response can be effective by publicising operations against lower-rank monster swarms, which, in fairness, they are the best at. They don’t want to play into the EOA’s narrative.”

“Does it matter who is telling the story?” Ken asked. “Shouldn’t everyone be out there, doing what they can?”

“No,” Yumi said. “Public reaction is going to be critical in how the long-term response is formed.”

“This is too big for small groups of people to be the centrepiece of the response, even people with powers like Farrah and myself,” Jason said. “That’s the outcome the EOA wants because a broad, military-based response favours the Network. They want to use public opinion to push governments into directing resources their way.”

“This seems like the worst time to be haggling over political points,” Ken said.

“It is,” Jason said, “but the EOA set this into motion, to the point of a revolt forming in their own ranks. Expecting them to act in the public interest now is futile. People are dying and the ones with power are fighting over more power. Some things even an interdimensional monster invasion can’t change.”

“Jason,” Yumi said. “We should have that meeting you scheduled.”

“I don’t think now is exactly the time,” Erika said.

“Yes it is,” Jason said. “We need to discuss a powerful new asset that we may very well need in this new world.”

Compare that to this chapter from APGtE:

quote:

“Some of the Scourges will have made it out,” Indrani quietly said. “The Hawk for sure, maybe the Prince of Bones as well.”

“The Grey Legion’s good as gone,” I replied, forcefully calm. “That, at least, is a gain.”

There had been few enough of those tonight that I would the find silver linings where I could.

“The Crab is destroyed as well,” Masego noted. “Though it likely was in a practical sense even before the meteor struck it, given the amount of goblinfire burning within.”

My fingers clenched. Blood dripped down from my palm onto the soft grass.

“It was a good way to go,” Archer murmured. “They will sing songs of him, Catherine.”

The scene just feels more alive, like the people are actually invested in what happened.

e: To add (since that Guide scene is a very emotional one), there's a chapter where Jason gets angry and starts yelling. But the scene is just weirdly written because he's supposed to be getting angrier and angrier while people are lecturing him about what he did, but he just keeps "saying" his lines. There's no buildup, either through tone or action, so it feels like it comes out of nowhere.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 8, 2021

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, that’s the big thing I was referring to when I mentioned the general demographics. Narratively tons of stories do really neat stuff, but yeaaaah- the prose is very frequently more Metaworld Chronicles than Chaucer, and it weirds me out that it doesn’t bug more (any?) readers.

I think part of it is that people tend to compare apples to apples. When I read a webfic that’s great, I tend to compare it to other webfic, not books I’ve read recently. This is total speculation on my part, but I could easily see readers forgiving a lot of basic prose sins if they were using bottom-tier webfic as their yard stick.

Also, having just gone back and read a whole glut of posts in this thread, almost none of the critical posts actually read as that bad? Discussing aspects of stuff that you dislike or interrogating a piece of writing from the perspective of having not enjoyed it is still a valid way to discuss it. Unfortunately for Worm, I think it ends up a target of this type of post more than most serials simply because most people have read it and that makes it easier to discuss. I’ve read a lot of serials that had the same problems I feel Worm has, but using them as an example in a big post is a gamble because for all I know only 40 other people read it. It’s sorta like how almost every writing group on the internet has big discussions about Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings at some point–they’re big popular works more people can discuss because more people have read them, and those who haven’t have possibly at least seen the movies.

If I wanted to discuss the topic of how a lot of webfic focuses too much on worldbuilding and not enough on setting scenes within their world and conveying mise en scène to readers, there’s a lot of examples that would come to mind before Worm. But if I was posting about it in a big discussion somewhere, I’d probably use an example from Worm because it’s the one most people will have read. I know it can sorta look like a bunch of people just trying to tear down a popular work, but I don’t really think that’s the always goal when Worm or Potter or HPMOR discussions come up. It’s just that critical discussions about how web serials work (in a sense of what works vs what doesn’t) would be a lot shorter if we were all using different examples that only 1 or 2 people each had read.

And to go back a little further…

Narmi posted:

Has anyone ever done that? The closest thing I can think of is The Wandering Inn where some names get blanked, but that’s more like classified, blacked out than spoiler text.

I originally had something like this planned for Mire, but I couldn’t figure out a way to make it work for readers who use screen-reader software. Accessibility is a big deal for me and I don’t like the idea of parts of my story being unavailable to blind readers, so I nixed it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anomalous Blowout posted:

I originally had something like this planned for Mire, but I couldn’t figure out a way to make it work for readers who use screen-reader software. Accessibility is a big deal for me and I don’t like the idea of parts of my story being unavailable to blind readers, so I nixed it.

Having spent a year working on making web sites accessible, I hate screen readers. There's no industry standard for how screen readers handle anything more complicated than raw text, so a solution that worked for one screen reader would rarely work on any other. Or worse, other screen readers would garble the formatting. Any non-standard formatting ended up requiring extremely convoluted tagging and scripting to get something that was intelligible for just the three most common screen readers.

Even getting tables to be read in a way that wasn't horribly tedious was a challenge and resulted in very odd looking "code."

Oh, and the JAWS screen reader hijacks the mouse and keyboard user interface (or something like that, this was a few years ago) so I had to turn it off to do development, and then turn it back on when I needed to test.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 8, 2021

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Anomalous Blowout posted:

I think part of it is that people tend to compare apples to apples. When I read a webfic that’s great, I tend to compare it to other webfic, not books I’ve read recently. This is total speculation on my part, but I could easily see readers forgiving a lot of basic prose sins if they were using bottom-tier webfic as their yard stick.

Also, having just gone back and read a whole glut of posts in this thread, almost none of the critical posts actually read as that bad? Discussing aspects of stuff that you dislike or interrogating a piece of writing from the perspective of having not enjoyed it is still a valid way to discuss it. Unfortunately for Worm, I think it ends up a target of this type of post more than most serials simply because most people have read it and that makes it easier to discuss. I’ve read a lot of serials that had the same problems I feel Worm has, but using them as an example in a big post is a gamble because for all I know only 40 other people read it. It’s sorta like how almost every writing group on the internet has big discussions about Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings at some point–they’re big popular works more people can discuss because more people have read them, and those who haven’t have possibly at least seen the movies.

If I wanted to discuss the topic of how a lot of webfic focuses too much on worldbuilding and not enough on setting scenes within their world and conveying mise en scène to readers, there’s a lot of examples that would come to mind before Worm. But if I was posting about it in a big discussion somewhere, I’d probably use an example from Worm because it’s the one most people will have read. I know it can sorta look like a bunch of people just trying to tear down a popular work, but I don’t really think that’s the always goal when Worm or Potter or HPMOR discussions come up. It’s just that critical discussions about how web serials work (in a sense of what works vs what doesn’t) would be a lot shorter if we were all using different examples that only 1 or 2 people each had read.

Yeah that's a great point- web serials can be a pretty niche area to begin with, and due to the popularity of RRL, the HPMOR community and a few small reddits, it's a pretty incestuous place- people who like one thing end up reading similar things, but as far as I know there's not a great deal of crossover even between different genres within the serial space.

I think there are two things to consider with critique. One is that it's always important to separate critique of a piece from critique of both the writer and the reader- if I say "Worm is poorly written and is in serious need of structural editing," (or a narrower, more specific set of suggestions in the same vein) a lot of people hear "I don't like Worm, and think that people should feel bad for enjoying it." Which, no- read what you want and enjoy what you want, but I think that as long as critique is constructive, it should have a place in the conversation.

That having been said... sheesh, the serial community. I'm not talking about this thread in particular, but I've seen more defensive and nasty reactions to constructive criticism in the serial space than maybe in any other medium. It almost never comes from the authors though- it usually seems to be a gatekeeping thing from the fan community itself. HPMOR and Wildbow stuff are where I see it most often (I know the parahumans community got a massive injection from early shoutouts by the HPMOR guy, so the two communities seem to share a lot of DNA). RRL has some of the same stuff, but a lot less- from what I've seen fan communities there tend to just kinda implode into feedback loops where every chapter is the same X dozen "Thanks for the chapter/generic noises here" responses.

It's definitely a really rough space to work in though- I don't think I would ever have the patience or stomach to gut it out, especially once you realize that, like most Internet Stuff, you can look forward to insane and weird feedback almost irregardless of what your actual product is.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

LLSix posted:

Even getting tables to be read in a way that wasn't horribly tedious was a challenge and resulted in very odd looking "code."

Blind/visually impaired people must hate LitRPGs. I know a ton of series use huge tables for stats and such.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Narmi posted:

Blind/visually impaired people must hate LitRPGs. I know a ton of series use huge tables for stats and such.

They probably do what I do and just completely ignore them. I don't really need to examine the story scaffolding.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What is RRL?

I know about Royal Road, but that doesn't have a trailing L.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

LLSix posted:

What is RRL?

I know about Royal Road, but that doesn't have a trailing L.

It used to be named royal road legends.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Narmi posted:

I can kind of understand using in a low-key manner, since it's a very neutral word. The problem I have is that the author uses it almost exclusively, so you do start to notice it after awhile. It feels like a scene is just "still" somehow, like nothing's happening except the dialogue. And it does limit the dialogue when you could add more emotion/emphasis to the story, or give a character something to do while they talk

Compare that to this chapter from APGtE:

The scene just feels more alive, like the people are actually invested in what happened.

e: To add (since that Guide scene is a very emotional one), there's a chapter where Jason gets angry and starts yelling. But the scene is just weirdly written because he's supposed to be getting angrier and angrier while people are lecturing him about what he did, but he just keeps "saying" his lines. There's no buildup, either through tone or action, so it feels like it comes out of nowhere.

I think the problem with this scene isn't that it uses "said" every time, but rather that there's zero description interleaved with the dialogue. The characters are apparently standing perfectly still and doing nothing other than talking. You could replace replied/noted/murmured with said in the pgte example and it'd still be a much better scene because it mentions the characters doing things other than just talking at each other.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I feel it's a better screen for a lot of reasons (the dialogue itself being one), and the character actions are definitely one of them. But I kinda think that even if you took it out it would still be much better because the dialogue tags offer some insight into the characters and what they're going through.

It's such a little thing, but it would drastically improve the scene. At least to me.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 9, 2021

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Plorkyeran posted:

I think the problem with this scene isn't that it uses "said" every time, but rather that there's zero description interleaved with the dialogue. The characters are apparently standing perfectly still and doing nothing other than talking. You could replace replied/noted/murmured with said in the pgte example and it'd still be a much better scene because it mentions the characters doing things other than just talking at each other.

Yeah, there's also the fact that a lot of the dialogue itself is just stilted and kinda bad. Changing the tags to make it feel less jarring would be like installing better shock absorbers instead of just not driving over rocks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Narmi posted:

I think the main difference between the He Who Fights With Monsters scene and the PracGuide one is that PracGuide mixes its dialogue with non-dialogue lines, rather than just alternating between characters speaking.

If you remove all the non-dialogue lines, it actually can sound pretty awkward when you use a bunch of alternatives to "said" back to back. For example, that PracGuide segment just sounds kind of goofy if you remove the non-dialogue lines.

vvv basically this

Plorkyeran posted:

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 9, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Omi no Kami posted:

I think there are two things to consider with critique. One is that it's always important to separate critique of a piece from critique of both the writer and the reader- if I say "Worm is poorly written and is in serious need of structural editing," (or a narrower, more specific set of suggestions in the same vein) a lot of people hear "I don't like Worm, and think that people should feel bad for enjoying it." Which, no- read what you want and enjoy what you want, but I think that as long as critique is constructive, it should have a place in the conversation.
A certain level of critique does automatically sound like critiquing the audience, though. E.g. if I'm like

"The Moon Raven is a garbage book, full stop. The characters are all wooden simpletons with a depth that rivals cardboard, the dialogue and humor sound like the author is stuck in middle school, and you can see every plot twist coming from a continent away. There's nothing of worth here, stay far away if you value your time."

I think most people will infer that I'm saying something about the audience for that book as well (at least, any audience member who enjoyed it). This is an extreme example for critique, certainly, but when you see the occasional critique that says that certain authors are basically the McDonald's of [genre], it doesn't surprise me that it feels like an attack to those demographics.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Critique is good, and I enjoy reading it especially for the stuff that I like a lot. But some of it does edge pretty hard into what appears as attacking the author of whatever is being critiqued, which is usually Wildbow here. It feels like he gets treated as some abstract entity that produced a bunch of text, rather than just a guy.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cicero posted:

A certain level of critique does automatically sound like critiquing the audience, though. E.g. if I'm like

"The Moon Raven is a garbage book, full stop. The characters are all wooden simpletons with a depth that rivals cardboard, the dialogue and humor sound like the author is stuck in middle school, and you can see every plot twist coming from a continent away. There's nothing of worth here, stay far away if you value your time."

I think most people will infer that I'm saying something about the audience for that book as well (at least, any audience member who enjoyed it). This is an extreme example for critique, certainly, but when you see the occasional critique that says that certain authors are basically the McDonald's of [genre], it doesn't surprise me that it feels like an attack to those demographics.

I definitely see what you're saying, and I agree that it's never cool to go after the author or audience, but I'd also like to point out that serial audiences in particular love to infer offense that isn't actually given. Like, if I were to jump into a discussion about one of Wildbow's stories, I think it would be fair to say something along the lines of "The pacing is glacial, 75% of the total length could be cut without meaningfully impacting the story, most of the characters talk like pod people, the descriptive passages are far too long while simultaneously not actually giving me enough information to understand what is happening, and the lack of any pervasive narrative spine makes it profoundly difficult for me to care about what's going on." We could go back and forth on the details, maybe I'm right and maybe I'm a dummy, but either way I think that's a pretty reasonable place to start C&C... but I almost guarantee that the vast majority of the fanbase would bury me in angry and extremely nasty posts accusing me of personally attacking Wildbow, arguing in bad faith, and probably kicking puppies or something. I never said anything about the guy or his fans, but so many fan communities feel like they're perpetually a hair away from processing any criticism as personal criticism.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I thought the you're a horrifying adorable abyss monster even if your physical form doesn't currently reflect that in today's chapter of Katalepsis was the most blatant trans analogy possible, but based on the RR comments I guess not.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

I thought the you're a horrifying adorable abyss monster even if your physical form doesn't currently reflect that in today's chapter of Katalepsis was the most blatant trans analogy possible, but based on the RR comments I guess not.

The entire abyssal dysphoria plotline could not be more blatant trans content if I literally dedicated an entire paragraph to describing Lozzie's trans flag poncho all over again, but I try not to pay too much attention to weird comments. The rest of the readerbase gets it, they let me know often enough!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Please keep describing Lozzie's poncho, it's great.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
TWI Patreon is back Silveran is hilarious. The quest for Erin's revival is on going and doesn't look like it will wrap up anytime soon as the only person with a solution is unreachable and probably wouldn't help.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

asur posted:

TWI Patreon is back Silveran is hilarious. The quest for Erin's revival is on going and doesn't look like it will wrap up anytime soon as the only person with a solution is unreachable and probably wouldn't help.

Az'kerash or teriarch?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had to cancel my patreons rip. I'm broke lol. I've been reading the gods are bastards, though. It seems pretty good. Despite having like, 10 main characters I'm invested in them all. It's like if TWI was all action instead of slice of life stuff, maybe.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Lol, “10 main characters”. You must still be early on - by the time I dropped around Book 11 there was like 6 concurrent storylines, each with 10 main characters.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Az'kerash or teriarch?
Cont TWI
If it wasn't clear I meant Magnolia, though she would have to get the crazy ancestor trapped in the vault to agree as well. Az'kerash seems to be failing though that does look most likely path. Teriarch probably has a method to revive her. It's unclear if he would intervene given his general stance on that and he's been intentionally removed from the story to make it more interesting.

The Gods are Bastards picks up way too many side plots that don't really matter and starts to drag significantly.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Silynt posted:

Lol, “10 main characters”. You must still be early on - by the time I dropped around Book 11 there was like 6 concurrent storylines, each with 10 main characters.

It calmed down a bit after that.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, it generally only tries to focus on 2-3 storylines over the course of a book now. That being said tGoB is on hiatus while the author tries to recover from burnout after treating himself incredibly unhealthily this year.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Omi no Kami posted:

It really depends on the author's style, the kind of book they're writing, and the editor, and that's a really good point to hit- a lot of what I was hitting with that smorgasbord of graphics was looking specifically at structural editing. In this case I think good editing corresponds to quality (e.g. a smaller number of condensed beats leads to tighter pacing and easier-to-follow plotting), but that's not always a guarantee. If the author is going for something intentionally slower and more contemplative they might not be served as well by the same workflow, and there's really outside the box stuff like The Road where the intentional eccentricities of the narrative voice and the book's overall structure (e.g. two people run around looking to eat and not get et) would make it look like a dumpster fire when you turned a lot of data-driven tools towards it, but in practice it works pretty well.

So it really comes down to what you're trying to do. Some stuff like readability and lexical diversity are usually consistently useful to look at, but I would never use them to drive the development of a manuscript- it's way more effective to just read the darn thing, then sit down with the author and go "X is good, Y didn't work for me but it might be down to taste, Z needs to change or go."

Edit: Oh yeah, genre conventions are another big thing to take into account- a thriller or mystery novel are much likelier than fiction or sci-fi to be transparent to this sort of analysis, and even within a genre someone very formulaic like Dan Brown will probably have his stuff chunk out nicely into predictable trends, whereas someone like Stephen King who's a great writer on a technical level but often wanders around plotwise would look iffy in data, but probably read just fine.

I am just :allears: about this and would happily read more or play with the code if it is on GitHub somewhere. I want to point it at something like Eddings and see if it just puts out barcodes, then go look at say dickens and see if it is similarly barcodes. Several “classic” authors are essentially the pulp of their time, and I’m curious if pulp is pulp is pulp to a NLP analysis. Stuff that is more wandering obviously doesn’t seem to line up, but I wouldn’t be shocked if data analysis of house of leaves or similar matched up well with other wandering works.

Thanks for posting, it’s neat to think about.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Anias posted:

I am just :allears: about this and would happily read more or play with the code if it is on GitHub somewhere. I want to point it at something like Eddings and see if it just puts out barcodes, then go look at say dickens and see if it is similarly barcodes. Several “classic” authors are essentially the pulp of their time, and I’m curious if pulp is pulp is pulp to a NLP analysis. Stuff that is more wandering obviously doesn’t seem to line up, but I wouldn’t be shocked if data analysis of house of leaves or similar matched up well with other wandering works.

Thanks for posting, it’s neat to think about.

Yeah no problem! The stuff I posted didn't even require a fancy project to build, I just generated it from a single python script- there are tons of NLP addons for python, so if you take a look at something like http://www.nltk.org/ (which is the bread & butter NLP starting point), there's already a ton of crud right out of the box. For anything more complex I'd start with the analytical model (e.g. figure out either the metrics you want to pull, or think of an interesting question like 'what are the quantitative indicators of Pulp," then run a bunch of corpora through your stuff, tweak 'em, and repeat.

NLP is a weird field where some stuff, like speech recognition/synthesis are insane rabbit holes, and others are actually really straightforward to implement, and require more rigor from the model than the software.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Gods Are Bastards felt like it ran out of plot a year or two ago and has just sort of muddled along since. I stopped reading last summer because it was just getting bad.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I know is I've been reading it non stop for like 4 days and my biggest complaint is that I want it to be slower and more about making friends

The author clearly put a lot of effort into thinking about how this wacky d&d esque world would work. I think world of prime is one of the only ones that comes close in terms of being very tabletoppy without sounding like everyone operates under cartoon physics

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Man, the current arc of He who fights sure blows. I was looking forward to more hijinks with his family, not whatever this conspiracy arc is. Gaping plot holes and awkwardly forced tension with ambigious stakes just don't do it for me. That it feels like a less interesting rerun of the Church of Purity stuff, though that might just be because I enjoyed the fantasy trappings more.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It is absolutely a less interesting retread. For one, we already know the builder cult connection is going to be there. First time around it was a reveal, but now it's just something they'll pretend is a reveal.

It was very nice to have a chunk of dumb fun serial fiction at 5pm every day, but I'm probably going to drop it soon.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Wittgen posted:

It was very nice to have a chunk of dumb fun serial fiction at 5pm every day, but I'm probably going to drop it soon.

Same. I've been reading He Who Fights With Monsters since it came out. It was fun, even if it wasn't the most original of stories. But this latest arc has just soured me completely on it. It's turned into some forced plot where everybody is dumb except the MC and his friends. The characters, especially the main one, are all over the place. The bad guys literally saying they're ok if the world burns, so long as they can rule the ashes.

It went from being a fun story to read to actually taking effort to slog through to find out what happens. And at this point it's barely even worth that.

It's still making a ton of money, but it's also been bleeding support for months on patreon (it's lost about 20% of its 2700 subscribers, which is not insignificant). I hope the author knows what they're doing and turns it around. I guess we'll see.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's not the first story I'm going to drop in the near future, but it's something I read first when a new chapter comes out, so I can follow it up with an unread chapter for something I'm excited about.

At least it's not metaworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its probably the weakest of the 'actually worth spending money on' stories i read