Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Anyone got some hand painting tutorial videos they recommend? I wanna learn some more dumb techniques, but I can't watch the 30 minute silent videos with text overlayed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Slanderer posted:

Anyone got some hand painting tutorial videos they recommend? I wanna learn some more dumb techniques, but I can't watch the 30 minute silent videos with text overlayed

The Warhammer Youtube channel has a ton of great hand painting tutorials. A lot of them are "how to paint this specific Warhammer guy the way he looks on the box" but there's also videos on how to do different patterns or weathering techniques. They all walk you through step by step in a very understandable way.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The Warhammer Youtube channel has a ton of great hand painting tutorials. A lot of them are "how to paint this specific Warhammer guy the way he looks on the box" but there's also videos on how to do different patterns or weathering techniques. They all walk you through step by step in a very understandable way.

Great idea, thanks!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slanderer posted:

Duncan 'Two Thin Coats" Rhodes did videos for GW but has started his own channel and is branching out into different games.

There's also Goobertown Hobbies, Pete the Wargamer (Who does some vehicles too), and Sonic Sledgehammer for minis.

For scale models, there's guys like Plasmo and Night Shift - their stuff is mostly airbrush, but the weathering steps use different brush painting techniques.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Slanderer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-BlVYFxfRA

this will all apply fine to gundam stuff, you just might need to look for different paint to match Gundam colors (I think Tamiya colors are usually pretty good for that?)

I also disagree with him w/r/t using lovely brushes as a beginner but your mileage may vary

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Just finished the legs to my RG Sazabi. This is quite the chonky boy.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I wasn't even a huge fan of the Sazabi until I could see it from all angles. It does such a good job of looking intimidating in motion.

On a completely unrelated note I picked up some Lotos and I'm a) charmed at how tiny they are b) weirded out by getting 2 dudes in one package

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like my Lotos but I wish they had bigger feet. Theyre very top heavy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

Put some Alto Ground Type feet on it

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
He said I'm a skater 30i, I said cya later 30i.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
is there a list of 30mm stuff anywhere? I kind of want to get into it but I need to see what's available first.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

DoubleDonut posted:

is there a list of 30mm stuff anywhere? I kind of want to get into it but I need to see what's available first.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/search?typ1_c=101&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=30mm

Hobby search is great as they have a lot of pictures of not only models but the actual manuals as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Puddin posted:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/search?typ1_c=101&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=30mm

Hobby search is great as they have a lot of pictures of not only models but the actual manuals as well.

This is the actual series list, yours is for anything matching "30mm", which covers quite a bit of model scaling references.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Put some Alto Ground Type feet on it

I've tried but the Loto joints are too small to be compatible with the 30mm kits. Its a shame because I wanted to make a kitbash that was all treads all day.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is the actual series list, yours is for anything matching "30mm", which covers quite a bit of model scaling references.

Ahhh nice, I only quickly scrolled through the first few pages.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've tried but the Loto joints are too small to be compatible with the 30mm kits. Its a shame because I wanted to make a kitbash that was all treads all day.

How much larger would the joins need to be? Like you could use epoxy putty to thicken the peg.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Onmi posted:

How much larger would the joins need to be? Like you could use epoxy putty to thicken the peg.

Being that they're so tiny, there's very little to work with on the Lotos. It'd probably be an easier job modding a 30mm into a Loto.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Being that they're so tiny, there's very little to work with on the Lotos. It'd probably be an easier job modding a 30mm into a Loto.

Been there

Done that :v:.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Been there

Done that :v:.

The Loto and the Guntank R-44 are really my favourite designs and I wish the Guntank and Guncannon lines had gotten the same kind of Mass Production lineage the GM did.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
About brushes: I think there's far to little said about them, and they're treated far to preciously. There's a solid midrange of brushes, between the "ohmygod it won't even pick up paint" or "leaves 80% of it's brissles on the model" and $50 per brush, made by naked artisians at 72.1 deg and 41% humidity of the finest camel hair harvested from 8 month old calves.....

The "kind" of brush, matters more. Is it stiff? Is it supple? is it round? Is it flat? Where do you want to use those? How often should you be wetting it? etc, etc, etc.... These aren't discussed nearly enough.

My experience with brushes comes from my mom. She painted professionally for most of her working life. Flowers, and houses mostly. For commission.

She.. made a living at it. And did very little of what I see people do to protect their brushes. Never did I see a brush clipped up in a cup. Never did I see a brush much more than washed in rinse cup water. But brushes were NEVER left with paint in them. Brushes were often left in cups. (my most common two brushes are currently IN my cup upstairs... They're not wooden so i'm not worried about it..)

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've bought that kit.. four times now. Attempting to perfect it. The knees are hilarious, and kill the kit. Also, the parts fit on the legs is... iffy at best. There's currently 5 of them built around here, and two more in a sealed box...

They are going to be my first custom gundam. I am going to do at least one in snow-camo colors. And maybe a stealth-ish one.

I'm quite amused by the idea that one of the smallest gundam, is ALSO the one that carries a squad of troops in the back. And has one of the smallest reactor outputs.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 12, 2021

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

Can we use discord as an image host or does that cause problems? (Been a while since I posted here)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Imagine getting a bunch of people who are unfamiliar with Gundam, showing them this kit from, like, 30 feet away, and asking what they think it is

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Gripweed posted:

Imagine getting a bunch of people who are unfamiliar with Gundam, showing them this kit from, like, 30 feet away, and asking what they think it is

new transformers movie toys

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gripweed posted:

Is that the new Pacific Rim?! :v:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Gripweed posted:

.... corona virus close up?! :v:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

In the thumbnail I can see it as some kind of avant garde flower arrangement, or maybe a model of the Challenger explosion.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

In the thumbnail I can see it as some kind of avant garde flower arrangement, or maybe a model of the Challenger explosion.

As it's some kind of anime thing, my guess is... Goku.

And the other is his... rival... other Goku. Or possibly Naruto.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Naruto is also a Goku. It's a squares-and-rectangles kind thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why is that goose shooting stars out of its wings.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why is that goose shooting stars out of its wings.

You mean they're finally releasing models from Brilliant Century Duck Crisis?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvsoYkkG7Vg

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Started working on the MG Barbatos. Only made the torso and head so far but drat the frame is a beaut.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Speaking of, is the funnel missile effect box a one-time thing? I want one, but I'm not sure I want to buy now.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Speaking of, is the funnel missile effect box a one-time thing? I want one, but I'm not sure I want to buy now.

It's unclear. They've been playing it pretty fast and loose with their special editions recently. It could be semi-regular, it could get 2 waves and never be seen again. It'll almost definitely show up as a Gundam Base "Exclusive" in a year's time for twice the price with a ~special coating~ though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Is it just the effect parts, or does it have the Xi and Penelope kits too? My impression was that it was everything, and I’d kind of expect the effect parts by themselves at some point if so.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

Hot drat, Ilclan really got out of control towards the end there

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Midjack posted:

Is it just the effect parts, or does it have the Xi and Penelope kits too? My impression was that it was everything, and I’d kind of expect the effect parts by themselves at some point if so.

It's the effect parts, the two kits, and two action bases.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

Early tests for making Bangai-O kits

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
These are clearly some very weird gerwalk Valkyrie designs.

MoukoKHZ
Sep 23, 2010

Gripweed posted:

This picture got me thinking; does anyone remember the Gundam Project website from the late 90's? Mark Simmons' illustrations were unique if a little simplistic, but his rendition of the Penelope was my favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Has anyone here ever made a Goodsmile Moderoid kit? If so, what are they like?