Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, I really like the style of the linework in the current anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
What the hell, the anime is good again?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thoren posted:

What the hell, the anime is good again?

Since Wano started, yes. The pacing still sucks but it’s at least a little better then it has been the past few years.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
How did the conversation go this long without posting Queen's song??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxDTilDaIKs

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah the pacings still bad generally but the actual linework/animation isnt complete trash like in dressrosa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FriesYSn_zI

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I think the Dressrosa arc was honestly the worst the anime has ever looked in terms of artstyle, direction and just the animation in general. The artstyle they've moved to since Wano and since translated to other franchises like Dragonball and Digimon just looks really good overall. It's so vibrant and energetic compared to the plastic doll look we had before.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Asuron posted:

I think the Dressrosa arc was honestly the worst the anime has ever looked in terms of artstyle, direction and just the animation in general. The artstyle they've moved to since Wano and since translated to other franchises like Dragonball and Digimon just looks really good overall. It's so vibrant and energetic compared to the plastic doll look we had before.

The only thing good about Dressrosa in the anime was the voice acting (though to be fair even the manga version of that story arc dragged a bit). Though I thought some bits of Whole Cake Island were ok in the anime at least.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Larryb posted:

The only thing good about Dressrosa in the anime was the voice acting (though to be fair even the manga version of that story arc dragged a bit). Though I thought some bits of Whole Cake Island were ok in the anime at least.

The musical bits of Whole Cake were really cool but oh my loving god I'd kill to see how they'd look overseen by the director of the latest episode

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

anime was right posted:

yeah the pacings still bad generally but the actual linework/animation isnt complete trash like in dressrosa

Diamante is Steven Tyler?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Diamante was always Steven Tyler, like Jango.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oda models a lot of his characters after real world celebrities, yes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I guess Jango was always way more Michael Jackson, or I was still watching the anime and the motion helped me see it better.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gyges posted:

I guess Jango was always way more Michael Jackson, or I was still watching the anime and the motion helped me see it better.

yeah jango and hody feel like two different takes on MJ, same deal with franky and mr 2 being takes on jim carrey

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If you look at it a certain way they’re really the same take :v:

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Wait, Hody as MJ? I don't really see that, though I'll admit that I often forget Hody exists, he didn't exactly leave the biggest impression compared to other major arc villains.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Havoc904 posted:

How did the conversation go this long without posting Queen's song??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxDTilDaIKs

I'm so conflicted about Queen. He's such a likeable sadistic mass murderer.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Libra posted:

Wait, Hody as MJ? I don't really see that, though I'll admit that I often forget Hody exists, he didn't exactly leave the biggest impression compared to other major arc villains.

I remember Hordy Jones because it’s a cool name and he overstays his screen time by a lot after getting dunked on by Zoro while being a fishman under water but continuing to do things, tbh. That and the whole super saiyan gray thing.

But yeah, I guess I kinda sorta see it if I squint? It’s nowhere near as pronounced as, say, Tim Curry/Ivankov, Eneru/Eminem and the Admirals/iconic Japanese movie stars which are pretty much clear homages (besides maybe Eneru)

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

anime was right posted:

drat, part of that looks like the Zelda CDi cutscenes. I can't wait to bomb some pirates

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Hody Jones is my favorite New World arc antagonist because he's a pitch perfect depiction of fascism and the set-piece around Noah loving rules. Though I don't even remotely see Hody as MJ.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Libra posted:

The resemblance is more clear when compare them both as children.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Oh yeah, Hody's motivation and characterization has aged pretty well.

Unfortunately.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Yeah, looking back on Fishman Island, any criticisms of Hody being a “stock villain” are thrown right out the window because heeeey that stock villain is SUPER RELEVANT right now. I also have tossed any “problem” I had with Wapol’s character being “too ridiculous” after the last four years.

As it stands, the only part of Wapol that’s that’s too cartoonish for reality is the magical fruit powers.

Edit: I’m also blown away by the Hody/MJ thing. It’s so obvious put out like that. Also, I would like to casually remind folks that Sanji is based on Steve Buscemi.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 12, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'd completely forgotten about Morgans being threatened at gunpoint by a government agent and responding with some breaking news across the guy's jaw

god bless you, big bird randolph hearst

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

go ahead and pull the trigger. i'll never say "hordy" jones

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Hordy should give that R back to Zolo

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

i am tim! posted:

I also have tossed any “problem” I had with Wapol’s character being “too ridiculous” after the last four years.

As it stands, the only part of Wapol that’s that’s too cartoonish for reality is the magical fruit powers.
I’m also a big fan of Orochi’s “Doesn’t matter if you think I’m a fool or that my orders don’t make sense! You HAVE to obey me!” line from the close of Wano Act 2

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

Hordy should give that R back to Zolo

But Zoro said he'd never take another L.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Kild posted:

But Zoro said he'd never take another L.

He's taking an R, so it's fine.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

XkyRauh posted:

He's taking an R, so it's fine.

As usual he isn't supposed to take an L or a R, he's supposed to keep going straight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In retrospect it’s a small miracle that Zoro didn’t get lost on the way to the big fight, getting lost in a bird’s talons flying straight up seems easier than getting on a pirate ship somehow while going fishing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like DeepLeff, Marco doesn't miss.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I'm still annoyed about Reverie being "Levely"

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
homie you think that's silly wait until you hear what the main character's name is

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ryaomon posted:

homie you think that's silly wait until you hear what the main character's name is

You mean Mankee Di Roohee?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The Netflix adaptation, Lewis Devil Humphrey.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Enjoy this amazing panel from Chapter 1001 without any context

https://i.ibb.co/BT01KKW/1610546438.jpg

RatHat fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 13, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I've come bearing the worst spoiler of all

Break next week

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RatHat posted:

This might be the single greatest thing

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RatHat posted:

This is absolute gold avatar material and I'm requesting an animated gif that loops through all 3 faces with blur transition effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This is absolute gold avatar material and I'm requesting an animated gif that loops through all 3 faces with blur transition effect.

Accompanying text along the lines of "A Hero isn't edgy", "A Hero shares their food", "A hero is kind to others".