Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I've had good luck with a hydrogen peroxide based cleaner and just letting it sit. That was on the floor though. I think you can also do the same with a bleach gel and just trace out the lines.

TurdBurgles posted:

If you go the bleach route, be very careful. I tried to clean our shower grout and wasn't paying attention and the bleach ran. Now we have bleached streaks on the tile and it looks worse.
Hmmmm alright thanks for the ideas peeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Is there an HCH-endorsed layout/modeling software for planning home renovations? A quick googling returned at least a half-dozen free programs or websites, so it seemed worthwhile to check here and see if anyone has a specific recommendation.

Our kitchen is incredibly poorly designed, and we're planning to do a complete gut and rebuild in the spring/summer timeframe. We're trying to plan it out now, and I'd like to be able to iterate on a handful of different layouts for the counters and appliances relatively easily (more easily than CAD, for instance).

Also this will absolutely not be the last question about this project.

e: realized this is a Homes Zone question, but I'll leave it here for posterity

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 10, 2021

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone able to recommend a good combination smoke, carbon monoxide and natural gas detector?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Harold Fjord posted:

Any quick tips on identifying what piece of my furnace makes a super loud bang noise as it heats up and cools down and ways to reduce the sound? Our new dog is pretty sensitive and it freaks him out every time it happens.

Got a sound sample? Because I'm wondering if it's coming from your furnace unit or the ducting. We had an issue with a loud "thud" that we'd hear every time our furnace turned on and off. Turned out it was the poorly-done ductwork flexing/contracting.

Cute pooch, btw. :3:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I've been laser cutting some mylar sheets and generally liking the results. The only problem is how quickly these sheets pick up fingerprints. Is there anything I can coat these with to keep them looking nicer, longer?

Google isn't helpful, it's just giving me a bunch of advice on how to extract fingerprints off mylar to ID people.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Chainclaw posted:

I've been laser cutting some mylar sheets and generally liking the results. The only problem is how quickly these sheets pick up fingerprints. Is there anything I can coat these with to keep them looking nicer, longer?

Google isn't helpful, it's just giving me a bunch of advice on how to extract fingerprints off mylar to ID people.
Wear gloves? Depending on what I am doing and how clean I need things to stay, I wear either nitral gloves or white cotton gloves.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Chainclaw posted:

When I worked at a photolab customers used to complain about one of my coworkers leaving fingerprints on everything when she went through the photos to check for defects. They got her a pair of soft cotton gloves that solved this problem. You could also just hold glossy things by their edge like a civilized person :stare:

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Can you get a generator that runs on your home natural gas connection? Is that a bad idea, since if your electricity is gone due to a natural disaster, natural gas might be gone too?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Can you get a generator that runs on your home natural gas connection? Is that a bad idea, since if your electricity is gone due to a natural disaster, natural gas might be gone too?

Yes.

No.

Maybe but maybe not.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Big Dick Cheney posted:

In most areas, long term power outages are due to wind or ice. In those events, NG is usually unaffected. For most people, NG is the easiest and most reliable energy source for backup power where available, especially if you intend to get a whole house auto transfer setup.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

HycoCam posted:

Wear gloves? Depending on what I am doing and how clean I need things to stay, I wear either nitral gloves or white cotton gloves.

Gloves won't work because I'm making Warhammer objective markers. I don't really want to force me and my opponent to find some gloves to play Warhammer.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chainclaw posted:

Gloves won't work because I'm making Warhammer objective markers. I don't really want to force me and my opponent to find some gloves to play Warhammer.

I haven't worked with mylar in forever, but it looks like it is fairly solvent resistant and you could probably spray some clear satin lacquer or something on it that wouldn't show the prints as much, but you'd also lose some clarity. Or ask your friends to wash the Cheeto dust and Frito grease off their goony fingers before the game?

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Around here everyone with a permanently installed standby generator runs it on their normal natural gas. The only time in my parent's memory the gas has gone out was the worst hurricane in living memory 40-50 yrs ago, and that was because the gas company pre-emptively turned the gas off before the storm in case uprooted trees damaged the gas lines. They pretty quickly turned it back on when it became apparent there wasn't major damage to the gas lines.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Especially because natural gas lines are buried, so unless you live in a geologically active are I’d think they’d be pretty reliable.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Especially because natural gas lines are buried, so unless you live in a geologically active are I’d think they’d be pretty reliable.

Not necessarily. This depends on how natural gas makes it to your particular area.

Sometimes it's pumped (read: electric) sometimes it's in a tank with a heavy lid that creates the required pressure (optimal for this scenario). This is very area and geography specific.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Anyone here ever used a bullet heater for their garage?

My garage is an attached walkout, so it's sealed pretty tight (not leaky at all.) There's a door to the basement, a door to the outside, and the garage door itself.

I got a bullet heater and fired it up the other day (left the door to the outside cracked open), but I'm having some serious reservations about going this route. It smelled (though I've heard these heaters all smell the first x hours, burning off oil or whatever), but I'm not familiar with "this is a bad smell" vs. "this is a dangerous smell". I did get a CO detector and mounted it near the floor and it stayed at 0ppm the entire time.

I'm about 90% towards just calling in an electrician to have some 220 run and installing an electric heater (need more outlets in the garage anyway).

e: the heater I got is a propane heater. This one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KRFVDP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Goddamn, my first ever "quote is not edit".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Get a CO detector, but yeah....I wouldn't run one in a space like that.

I run a diesel one in my leaky rear end barn with no ceiling and an open ridge vent and coupola. With a CO detector. That works fine, but only because it's so freaking leaky..

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I'm about 90% towards just calling in an electrician to have some 220 run and installing an electric heater (need more outlets in the garage anyway).

Round up to 100%

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

If your main panel isn't in the garage have em put in a small sub panel so that you can run a car charger there along with your heater. :v:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Anyone here ever used a bullet heater for their garage?

My garage is an attached walkout, so it's sealed pretty tight (not leaky at all.) There's a door to the basement, a door to the outside, and the garage door itself.

I got a bullet heater and fired it up the other day (left the door to the outside cracked open), but I'm having some serious reservations about going this route. It smelled (though I've heard these heaters all smell the first x hours, burning off oil or whatever), but I'm not familiar with "this is a bad smell" vs. "this is a dangerous smell". I did get a CO detector and mounted it near the floor and it stayed at 0ppm the entire time.

e: the heater I got is a propane heater. This one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KRFVDP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another problem you're going to run into with a propane heater in a well sealed garage is moisture, since those ones that are rated to run indoors still produce tons of water vapor as a product of combustion, if you run that thing for long you'll turn your garage into a sauna.

If your garage is well heated and insulated an installed electric heater is a good bet.

E: also make sure that CO detector is at least 5 feet off the floor, CO tends to rise, being slightly lighter than air, and that's exacerbated by being mixed with hot combustion air.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 14, 2021

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

My doorbell doesn't work. The previous owner was using one of those wireless transmitter ones stuck over the original. I checked the wires for power with a multimeter where the switch used to be and at the transformer and both spots are dead. I could try finding where the power cable that should be tied into the transformer ends and why its not working anymore but I don't really want to use the old doorbell at all really. I bought one of those smart video doorbells and if my wiring had worked would have provided power as an alternative to the built in battery that would need topping off now and then. The benefit of having it wired is the doorbell can be in a more active recording mode.

My question is, could I unhook the wires that connect the old switch to the transformer, splice on a usb connection to the end, and then connect that to a power bank hidden in the casing for the doorbell on the wall? That way I can pull out the power bank when its low from the comfort of inside the house, and the doorbell can top itself off as needed. I guess what I'm asking is if the wire thats already run through the house is suited for that sort of 'upgrade'.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Blackchamber posted:

My doorbell doesn't work. The previous owner was using one of those wireless transmitter ones stuck over the original. I checked the wires for power with a multimeter where the switch used to be and at the transformer and both spots are dead. I could try finding where the power cable that should be tied into the transformer ends and why its not working anymore but I don't really want to use the old doorbell at all really. I bought one of those smart video doorbells and if my wiring had worked would have provided power as an alternative to the built in battery that would need topping off now and then. The benefit of having it wired is the doorbell can be in a more active recording mode.

My question is, could I unhook the wires that connect the old switch to the transformer, splice on a usb connection to the end, and then connect that to a power bank hidden in the casing for the doorbell on the wall? That way I can pull out the power bank when its low from the comfort of inside the house, and the doorbell can top itself off as needed. I guess what I'm asking is if the wire thats already run through the house is suited for that sort of 'upgrade'.

Nope. For one, usb has a significant current drop beyond 16 feet. For two, USB is 5v DC, with some protocols able to use higher voltage/amperage for charging, but doorbells are usually around 16v to 24v AC and that’s what your doorbell will expect if you’re hooking up the terminals. Modifying the plug end of a usb cable won’t help you out as it’s wholly incompatible.

Your real options are:

Can you run a cable? If so get a PoE doorbell and use a PoE switch or plug in an adapter next to your router and use the single line for data and power. This also cuts down consumption of an already crowded wireless spectrum.

Fix your transformer. Is the transformer itself bumpkused? Is it just not getting power? You’re going to have to break out the multimeter again and verify power output. If it’s not getting power, follow the wiring back and see if it’s disconnected from a junction box or a breaker on the panel is turned off. Oftentimes it’ll be split off the basement lights circuit somewhere. Don’t forget to have the multimeter set to AC, and a voltage sniffer is also a good idea have and use here as well so you don’t accidentally come into contact with line voltage thinking the power is off.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

can you take a pic of the transformer and the wires running to/from it?

I wouldn't really recommend splicing in a USB connection on both sides and runnign it it off of the powerbank, you'll end up with some voltage drop, and likely will drian the USB powercell somewhat quickly as it'll just keep tryign to "top off" the doorbell on a regular basis.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Another problem you're going to run into with a propane heater in a well sealed garage is moisture, since those ones that are rated to run indoors still produce tons of water vapor as a product of combustion, if you run that thing for long you'll turn your garage into a sauna.

If your garage is well heated and insulated an installed electric heater is a good bet.

E: also make sure that CO detector is at least 5 feet off the floor, CO tends to rise, being slightly lighter than air, and that's exacerbated by being mixed with hot combustion air.

The garage isn't heated at all. Hence the need for a heater. ;)

(It's pseudo insulated, as it's a walk-in garage under the house, so the sides are concrete surrounded by earth. The back wall to the basement is insulated, as is the ceiling.)

And I don't know why, but I've always seen CO detectors near the floor and just assumed that's where they go. TIL that's wrong. That's useful info!

Time to return the bullet heater.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

(It's pseudo insulated, as it's a walk-in garage under the house,

Stop right there. Do not heat spaces that are UNDER your living area with a heater like that. Even if you CO detector doesn't go off there's the possibility that it's migrating up and into your living area.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I had a plumber in yesterday to handle some unrelated stuff, and asked him about putting in a NG heater. The issue of venting is still there, though. There's just no good place to vent a heater from the garage. (His suggestion of coring a 5" hold in the foundation is a non-starter.) He did have an interesting idea of installing a Hydronic heater running pex from the boiler, but ultimately I think it makes more sense to just install Electrical since I want more outlets and some 220's in there anyway.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Yeah, I had a plumber in yesterday to handle some unrelated stuff, and asked him about putting in a NG heater. The issue of venting is still there, though. There's just no good place to vent a heater from the garage. (His suggestion of coring a 5" hold in the foundation is a non-starter.) He did have an interesting idea of installing a Hydronic heater running pex from the boiler, but ultimately I think it makes more sense to just install Electrical since I want more outlets and some 220's in there anyway.

What are you trying to do in your garage? Like what's the purpose of heating it? My house has an under house garage similar to yours I found the key to keeping it comfortable was to never open the garage door in the winter (plus making sure it's well sealed, I put in new weatherstrip etc.) Then I just used a a small radiant electrical heater and would point it at myself for woodworking. Usually after 30 minutes or so I would be hot enough to turn the heater off and be fine for quite a while.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

floWenoL posted:

So I'm trying to remove a countertop soap dispenser (to install an air switch for my garbage disposal), but I'm having a hell of a time doing so.

Here's a top view:

and here's a bottom view:

(The hex nut is about 1.25" in diameter.)

I just have a regular wrench and not a basin wrench, but I can manage with getting a grip and twisting. However, I think the main problem is that the nut is 'stuck' to the bolt, so when I try to twist it, the whole thing moves. I can try to have someone else grip the top with another wrench, but it's circular so I don't know if they'll be able to hold a grip.

Would penetrating oil help here? What do y'all think?

Okay, so I got a vise grip like someone recommended to hold the top, and it hits against the backsplash so I don't need someone to hold it. However, when I try to twist the nut, it really is stuck. I'm still using a regular wrench (vertically) and another vise grip, so I can't get that much leverage, but from the videos I've seen of basin wrenches, I'm not sure if they'll be able to grip the nut as well.

Any advice on the next thing I should try? :eng99:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Have you tried PB Blaster or similar (not WD40)? I wonder if a socket could fit on it and then some appropriate extenders for the space, might let you get better torque on it without slippage.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

floWenoL posted:

Okay, so I got a vise grip like someone recommended to hold the top, and it hits against the backsplash so I don't need someone to hold it. However, when I try to twist the nut, it really is stuck. I'm still using a regular wrench (vertically) and another vise grip, so I can't get that much leverage, but from the videos I've seen of basin wrenches, I'm not sure if they'll be able to grip the nut as well.

Any advice on the next thing I should try? :eng99:

Its hard to tell from the picture, but is it possibly a reverse thread?

If you have a dremel, you might consider getting a cutting disc and cutting through the nut.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
That is almost certainly basin wrench territory, that’s exclusively what they’re designed to do. Only other thing to try is a socket and some extenders and see if that’ll do you.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If you don't care about the soap dispenser just use a pair of vice grips to crush the top and rip it right off.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If you don't care about the soap dispenser just use a pair of vice grips to crush the top and rip it right off.

This. I mean you're not going to remove your dishwasher.

What does it look like if you pull the pump part off? Pull hard on it straight up and see if you reveal a nut or something. Hard enough to destroy it.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Thanks all! I'll try a bunch of stuff.

H110Hawk posted:

This. I mean you're not going to remove your dishwasher.

What does it look like if you pull the pump part off? Pull hard on it straight up and see if you reveal a nut or something. Hard enough to destroy it.

I was afraid to leave it in a half-state without more tools, but once I get some tools, I can try this!

Edit:

wesleywillis posted:

Its hard to tell from the picture, but is it possibly a reverse thread?

Good question, I half-heartedly tried to twist it clockwise, but I might have to try again once I get some better tools.

floWenoL fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 15, 2021

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I made some poplar window stools to replace the ugly yellow fake marble ones that were original to the house and the window guys put them in with my replacement windows. They are not painted. My wife wants to paint them white. What type of paint should I use that can hold up best against potted plants being scooted around, and maybe a little bit of spilled water?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Go to your paint retailer of choice and get their best product that's made for trim, doors, and cabinets. Sherwin Williams Emerald Urethane or Ben Moore Advance would be top of my list. Use an appropriate wood primer if the wood isn't preprimed. Do 2-3 coats and follow manufacturer instructions regarding dry time between coats. I'd let the paint cure for at least a week if not two before putting anything heavy like potted plants on it. The correct time between coats and before heavy use goes a real long way with those high end enamels in allowing them to cure properly and be as durable as they're capable of.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Sherwin Williams Emerald Urethane has turned into the only paint I use on trim, doors, jambs, etc--I love the stuff. All the stuff that makes wood work look grimy over time wipes right off. We tend to have muddy dogs that will lay against the baseboards. A wipe with a damp cloth and the baseboards look like fresh paint even after a a few years.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

tangy yet delightful posted:

Have you tried PB Blaster or similar (not WD40)? I wonder if a socket could fit on it and then some appropriate extenders for the space, might let you get better torque on it without slippage.

This ended up working! I had to get an extra-large socket (30mm), but with that and an extender I was able to get enough leverage to get it turning. Thanks all!

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I moved to a new apartment that has a drywall "semi" partition (not sure of the correct term for this - it's not completely dividing the room, it's an incomplete wall with four corners in the middle of the room) in the living room. The previous resident had a tv wall mount installed on this divider by the local electronics chain's installation service.

They used 3 8mm molly bolts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_(fastener))) and the wall is ~25mm thick - it kinda looks like it's two 12,5mm boards on top of each other. Here's a pic:

This should be completely fine to hang a 47" / 12kg TV + mount on, no? Also, can I put something on the other side of the wall within the limits for those drywall boards or do I need to worry about the load on the entire structure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So we got an Ikea Nordli headboard and it uses what is basically a french cleat to attach to the wall. They don't include mounting screws because it is sold worldwide and different places have different wall materials. I am in the US where it is all drywall. What type of screw should I be using, and consindering it is a pretty heavy headboard, what kind of drywall anchor should I be using for areas I don't hit a stud?