Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

Joke's on them, when they go to sell their shares they'll only be worth about 20% of market value (25% if you take store credit).

edit: shameful snipe, anyway I've been hearing lately about big rushes to invest in the wrong company due to naming confusion and wondered if this might be related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I actually had to google it and while there's still debate, their holiday performance looked good. IIRC sales were up 5%, and e-commerce was up like 300%. Also they added (replaced?) board members.

So it's not like there's NO reason.

But I suspect it's a lot like any popular thing. Stock X goes up, kinda unexpectedly but for some real reason, and everyone bandwagons on and sends the price skyward, which hits the news cycle and causes draws in even more people who think they can make a quick buck. I'm sure it'll crash soon enough.

but then again, this is the reason I don't play in the stock market. I know absolutely nothing and would probably lose money on the world's safest bet.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

I did not recognize that ticker symbol, but it's loving Gamestop?? Just looked at like 5 news stories about the 500% rise in stock price over the last day or two and I do not get in any universe what the gently caress people are on about.

So apparently somebody on r/wallstreetbets bought a shitload of gamestop calls a year ago for 1/15/21 at $20 and 4/16/21 for $12. At the time GME was trading at like $4, so these were waaaayyy out of the money.

GME went up in value over the year so this guy's $12 calls looked like they would hit but the $20 calls would expire worthless. Over the last week there was a colossal short squeeze, launching the price from < $20 to > $40 after hours today. The wallstreetbets subreddit turned this guy into a meme over the past year and are claiming to have engineered the short squeeze by posting over and over again about how rich everyone would get if they bought GME. At this point it's being framed as a collection of retail investors vs. the institutional money shorting the piss out of gamestop.

At the end of today this guy had turned his ridiculous small six figure bet into over seven million dollars. Wallstreetbets is hooting and hollering about how they've made him a king.

This brings us to my friend, who saw all this and decided that this morning would be a good time to shove his retirement account into GME, and that after the huge runup was the time to buy short-dated calls. I think his calls have doubled since he bought them

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

I actually had to google it and while there's still debate, their holiday performance looked good. IIRC sales were up 5%, and e-commerce was up like 300%. Also they added (replaced?) board members.

So it's not like there's NO reason.

But I suspect it's a lot like any popular thing. Stock X goes up, kinda unexpectedly but for some real reason, and everyone bandwagons on and sends the price skyward, which hits the news cycle and causes draws in even more people who think they can make a quick buck. I'm sure it'll crash soon enough.

but then again, this is the reason I don't play in the stock market. I know absolutely nothing and would probably lose money on the world's safest bet.

My friend bought me a gift card from them instead of Amazon for my birthday.

I assume that's responsible for a good chunk of that revenue.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Asleep Style posted:

So apparently somebody on r/wallstreetbets bought a shitload of gamestop calls a year ago for 1/15/21 at $20 and 4/16/21 for $12. At the time GME was trading at like $4, so these were waaaayyy out of the money.

GME went up in value over the year so this guy's $12 calls looked like they would hit but the $20 calls would expire worthless. Over the last week there was a colossal short squeeze, launching the price from < $20 to > $40 after hours today. The wallstreetbets subreddit turned this guy into a meme over the past year and are claiming to have engineered the short squeeze by posting over and over again about how rich everyone would get if they bought GME. At this point it's being framed as a collection of retail investors vs. the institutional money shorting the piss out of gamestop.

At the end of today this guy had turned his ridiculous small six figure bet into over seven million dollars. Wallstreetbets is hooting and hollering about how they've made him a king.

This brings us to my friend, who saw all this and decided that this morning would be a good time to shove his retirement account into GME, and that after the huge runup was the time to buy short-dated calls. I think his calls have doubled since he bought them

I read some of that, but I dismissed it as reddit pretending that they actually have influence over anyone who isn't an incel.

I have half a mind to short it. I'd think in a week or two you could make a fortune once all the heat dies down and everyone bails. But I know that since I think it's a good idea then it's most definitely a bad idea.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Well, you can use GameStop as a bank, so that's probably why its value is rising so quickly.

quote:

Does anyone else use Gamestop as a bank?

I got really pissed off with US Bank because I kept overdrafting my account even though I opted out, and the same thing happened with my credit union when I got a debit card.

Now whenever I get paid I go preorder a whole shitload of games. Whenever I need money, I go to the nearest gamestop and ask for my money back on a game I don’t want and make a withdrawal. The lines are shorter at gamestop than at the bank and I can trade in old games and have money go straight to my savings account. Gamestops are just as prevalent as banks in my town and I work at a mall so it’s even more convenient than running an errand to the bank or using an ATM and getting charged.

The gamestop people are starting to catch on that I’m just moving money around and only buying one preordered game a year, if that, but there isn’t poo poo they can do about it. The best part is, since I always preorder every game coming out I’m still guaranteed to get all the exclusive content whether or not I’m sure I want a certain game. It’s like they’re rewarding me for banking with them.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Haha that's both sad and awesome.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
you know the bwm thread is getting good when the tone shifts to "ha ha that's awful.... but maybe..."

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Like if I hypothetically woke up one day in another body and locked out of the banking system or something it could be a good nugget to hold onto.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Stupid buttcoin question: The people processing the transactions are rewarded with new coins right? So when the limit hits how do they get paid? Or does no one process transactions anymore?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Guest2553 posted:

Like if I hypothetically woke up one day in another body and locked out of the banking system or something it could be a good nugget to hold onto.
Yeah, someone pass this info on to Trump, I hear he's in the market for a bank account

asur
Dec 28, 2012

thekeeshman posted:

Stupid buttcoin question: The people processing the transactions are rewarded with new coins right? So when the limit hits how do they get paid? Or does no one process transactions anymore?

There is both a fee component and a new coin component. I believe fees are currently low or zero, but you'd expect them to increase drastically when coins can no longer be created by mining as miners got to get paid.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

thekeeshman posted:

yeah the people wrecking the ozone layer and destroying graphics cards or w/e get a piece of new "blocks" when they're "mined", which is a finite number. They also get a small* amount of any transaction processed, which will continue even after all the coins are "mined".

to "Solve" this "issue" (meaning, to make sure the miners don't take a cut) and also because, lol, bitcoin can only handle a few transactions per second, things like the "lightning network" have been invented, which is where you just pretend you're receiving and sending money and trust that the """"network"""" definitely has your butts if you want it.

*it's like ten dollars now. can you imagine paying ten dollars in transaction fees to buy something

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Spokes posted:

it's like ten dollars now. can you imagine paying ten dollars in transaction fees to buy something

Not a big wire transfer user, eh?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Guest2553 posted:

That's about the only way that makes sense now that there are a bunch of free checking accounts that pay ATM fees.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
gamestop banker has such a fury at regular banks/ATMs he's almost certainly sunk most of his money into crypto for the same reasons.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

And if you have a checking account, there's no reason to ever use an ATM.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dip Viscous posted:

Anyone who banks at gamestop isn't going to get debit cards.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dip Viscous posted:

There are many, many reasons to use an ATM. An ATM is the only place you should ever stick your debit card, in fact.

If you have a problem with your credit card, your credit card company has a problem; if you have a problem with your debit card, you have a problem.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Spokes posted:

yeah the people wrecking the ozone layer and destroying graphics cards or w/e get a piece of new "blocks" when they're "mined", which is a finite number. They also get a small* amount of any transaction processed, which will continue even after all the coins are "mined".

* Also only small if you don't get the 'fee' and 'amount' fields mixed up, as sometimes happens.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

There are many, many reasons to use an ATM. An ATM is the only place you should ever stick your debit card, in fact.

If you have a problem with your credit card, your credit card company has a problem; if you have a problem with your debit card, you have a problem.

Tell that to the Well Fargo rep who got college me signed up for a bank account and debit card that I was encouraged to use all through school.

I used the card without issue, but I would much rather have spent those years building some sort of credit history while better protecting my bank account.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Democratic Pirate posted:

Tell that to the Well Fargo rep who got college me signed up for a bank account and debit card that I was encouraged to use all through school.

I used the card without issue, but I would much rather have spent those years building some sort of credit history while better protecting my bank account.

yeah but how cool was the frisbee/hat you got for free?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Fauxtool posted:

yeah but how cool was the frisbee/hat you got for free?

Someone I know from college signed up for a credit card at a baseball game to get the sign-up bonus.

The sign-up bonus was a free concession drink and a visor.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dip Viscous posted:

Is this assuming that you never use cash or that you only trust people at the bank to physically hand you all cash you're withdrawing

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The former. I don't think I've touched paper money since I was like nine years old.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Bitcoin and cryptocurrency chat usually bores the hell out of me, but there was a poster whose coworker sold their truck a while back and accepted bitcoin, only to ignore it, then come back to find it was worth a ton of money. They were slowly turning it into USD. Who was that? Leon Trotsky?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Subjunctive posted:

Not a big wire transfer user, eh?

Last time I moved money by SWIFT it cost me nothing except waiting for the transfer to go through 🤷‍♀️

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Bitcoin and cryptocurrency chat usually bores the hell out of me, but there was a poster whose coworker sold their truck a while back and accepted bitcoin, only to ignore it, then come back to find it was worth a ton of money. They were slowly turning it into USD. Who was that? Leon Trotsky?

I'm curious about this as well. I thought they were trying to make it into money through a bank?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boiled Water posted:

Last time I moved money by SWIFT it cost me nothing except waiting for the transfer to go through 🤷‍♀️

Jealous!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Dip Viscous posted:

The former. I don't think I've touched paper money since I was like nine years old.

Congrats on either: (a) your recent 10th birthday, or (b) staying away from drugs. Or both, I guess.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Not one of my coworkers. I vaguely remember the story you're talking about, but I can't remember who posted it.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Bitcoin: Newport man's plea to find £210m hard drive in tip

quote:

A man who threw away a laptop hard drive containing bitcoin he believes is now worth about £210m wants his council to let him search for it in landfill.

James Howells had 7,500 bitcoins, a virtual currency, on the hard drive, which he mistakenly threw away in 2013.

He said he was willing to donate 25% of the value of the bitcoins to his home city of Newport in south Wales - about £52.5m - if he found the hard drive.

Newport council said excavation was not possible under its licensing permit.

Mr Howells said if he was to recover the hard drive, he would want the money to be put into a "Covid relief fund" for people in Newport to use "no questions asked".

Choice quote:

quote:

James Howells says he wishes he had never thrown away the hard drive

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

This guy pops up in the news every time the buttcoins go up in price.

Is a hard drive that's been dumped in a tip for 6+ years going to even work if they manage to retrieve it?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ellspurs posted:

Is a hard drive that's been dumped in a tip for 6+ years going to even work if they manage to retrieve it?

I can't imagine anything with platters would likely have survived, but if it was a solid state drive, maybe?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ellspurs posted:

If it's still sealed it's entirely possible that the data can be recovered. But we're talking clean room, new electronics, etc....like expensive data recovery.

If it's ever found (lol) I'm sure he'll get about $8k into that only to find out he doesn't actually remember the password he used.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

ellspurs posted:

Absolutely not. And it’s probably not even in there, if the landfills in the UK operate anything like the ones in Canada: over here, it'd be dragged out of the dumpster and put in the e-waste bin, and sent off to be recycled as such when the bin got full. In the meantime, it would sit out, exposed to the elements.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

tinytort posted:

Absolutely not. And it’s probably not even in there, if the landfills in the UK operate anything like the ones in Canada: over here, it'd be dragged out of the dumpster and put in the e-waste bin, and sent off to be recycled as such when the bin got full. In the meantime, it would sit out, exposed to the elements.

The bigger risk of recovery here in Canada would be fending off the dump bears and dump bees to get at the drive.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Less Fat Luke posted:

The bigger risk of recovery here in Canada would be fending off the dump bears and dump bees to get at the drive.

I google image searched dump bears and it was good
https://www.google.com/search?q=dump+bears

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah those motherfuckers are no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Coffee
Sep 3, 2011
Dump... bees?!