Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most people who like rave master like it because they read it as teenagers and nostalgia is poison. it's fairy tail with numeric power levels. every fight eventually devolved into someone being invincible because they had +1 until the person fighting them pulled a +2 out of their rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As someone who read it as a teenager, yeah, that sounds about right.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

most people who like rave master like it because they read it as teenagers and nostalgia is poison. it's fairy tail with numeric power levels. every fight eventually devolved into someone being invincible because they had +1 until the person fighting them pulled a +2 out of their rear end.

Ah. How are the characters though? About the same as Mashima’s other works?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

Ah. How are the characters though? About the same as Mashima’s other works?

p. much. so read it if several hundred chapters of slightly worse fairy tail sounds good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

p. much. so read it if several hundred chapters of slightly worse fairy tail sounds good.

I see (though the anime apparently covers the first 95 at least). So Eden’s Zero is probably his best work in that regard then, good to know.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the upside is that rave master didn't get into all the sexual violence poo poo that mashima has been using more and more over the years, though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I tried to re-read Rave Master a couple years ago since I own a good chunk of the series. It doesn't hold up that well for me and definitely goes on for too long.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

the upside is that rave master didn't get into all the sexual violence poo poo that mashima has been using more and more over the years, though.

Mashima seems to have the uncanny ability to make his female characters both badass and weirdly sexualized at the same time, it’s always been the oddest part of his works to me. I assume at least the latter half of that isn’t the case in Rave Master then?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's still mashima, so there's no shortage of cheesecake. but to the best of my recollection it doesn't have that awful bsdm garbage that mashima especially likes inflicting on erza.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

it's still mashima, so there's no shortage of cheesecake. but to the best of my recollection it doesn't have that awful bsdm garbage that mashima especially likes inflicting on erza.

That’s something at least (and that trend unfortunately seems to have carried over into Eden’s Zero at times as well).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hmm... I seem to recall Elie getting beat up a lot, and she wasn't even a badass fighter, she was more like Lucy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Clarste posted:

Hmm... I seem to recall Elie getting beat up a lot, and she wasn't even a badass fighter, she was more like Lucy.

To be fair, even Lucy had her moments of glory at times (not a whole lot of them though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 15, 2021

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

every mashima series is exactly the same thing but progressively hornier and with fewer weird character designs

so rave master is his best work by default

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

Mashima seems to have the uncanny ability to make his female characters both badass and weirdly sexualized at the same time, it’s always been the oddest part of his works to me. I assume at least the latter half of that isn’t the case in Rave Master then?

Yeah it's so weird how he treats his women.

Still enjoying Eden's Zero though. It's silly

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I greatly enjoyed Rave Master when I read it for the most part when I was younger, which is more than I could say for Fairy Tail by the end.

I can still remember plenty of plot beats and emotional moments from Rave Master, whereas my good memories of Fairy Tail seem to dwindle every time I look back on the series.

Rave Master's Jellal is a lot more bearable than Fairy Tail's.

Rave Master is a lot more willing to let (some) characters have their moment and die, which makes their moments hit harder unlike in FT where a sacrifice just means a power up down the line.

On the other hand, Rave Master doesn't have Ezra (does have Julia, but she doesn't get as much screentime).

Also, while both FT and RM had tons of fights come down to good ol' determination and friendship and emotion and whatnot, I feel like RM's fights could be more interesting.

But then again, this could be nostalgia talking cause I haven't looked at either series in years.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Reading up about Rave Master to refresh myself and never did realize the evil group in Rave Master is also called Oracion Seis. Mishima seems to really like that name.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Reading up about Rave Master to refresh myself and never did realize the evil group in Rave Master is also called Oracion Seis. Mishima seems to really like that name.

I forget, did that name appear in Fairy Tail as well?

Also, there’s apparently been a Jellal (or rather, a character with his almost exact design) in every single Mashima series to date.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The thing I remember about Fairy Tail is that there was a bazillion different versions of Jellal running around.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

I forget, did that name appear in Fairy Tail as well?

Also, there’s apparently been a Jellal (or rather, a character with his almost exact design) in every single Mashima series to date.

It did, it was the name of one of the evil guilds.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, are there any familiar faces in the Eden’s Zero anime cast aside form Rie Kugimiya returning as Happy (or at least it sounds like her anyway)?

And on that note, did Rave Master and Fairy Tail share any voice actors?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mashima just loves to constantly reference his older works at all times. Aetherion was a big important thing in Rave and he used it again in Fairy Tail as a giant magic nuke that comes up a few times.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

As someone who read Rave Master then completely forgot it existed, reading Fairy Tail was an exercise in "why does this seem so familiar" for literal years.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

As someone who read Rave Master then completely forgot it existed, reading Fairy Tail was an exercise in "why does this seem so familiar" for literal years.

To be fair, I got the same feeling going from Fairy Tail to Eden’s Zero at first (Mashima tends to rip himself off a lot it seems).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
his stuff is all incredibly successful so if you don't care about an involved story and just like making a ton of money making manga why not just repeat yourself

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I have an offering for this thread!

Fight Class 3 is a (black and white, manga-page style) manwha! It's a battle manwha with a pretty typical shonen protagonist, but in which the story gains momentum in other directions after a point, and I find it extremely good. I want to avoid any form of spoilers for anyone who reads, but I gobbled it up in a solid day of reading and I'm going to be paying close attention to its release schedule now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think you're gonna run into stuff like that a lot going through this

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Definitely enjoyed this week of Roboco more than last week

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/me-and-roboco-chapter-25/chapter/21844?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008395

Bondo's friends are true bros.

Also Mashle is turning into Bleach I guess?

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008382

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/mashle-chapter-46/chapter/21843?action=read

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't quite place that reference at the end of Roboco, so it's probably Slam Dunk

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I haven't seen it discussed in here, but I'm really enjoying Sakamoto Days.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mikl posted:

RIP Janitor assassin.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Magu chan was super sweet again. I read somewhere that's it's not selling that well though. :(

Mikl posted:

I'm okay with it. Not a massive fan, but it's enjoyable.

Roboco was hilarious. Really happy with this chapter.

Very Bleachy yes. And I have no idea where Mashle is going with this, but I honestly can't wait for Mashle to somehow force his super heavy wand into awakening. I expect a couple of good laughs from that.
The chapter itself was pretty light on laughs though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tosk posted:

Fight Class 3 is a (black and white, manga-page style) manwha! It's a battle manwha with a pretty typical shonen protagonist, but in which the story gains momentum in other directions after a point, and I find it extremely good. I want to avoid any form of spoilers for anyone who reads, but I gobbled it up in a solid day of reading and I'm going to be paying close attention to its release schedule now.

This is pretty cool so far and has nice art/action. I like how Maria is actually realistically muscular for a fighter.

edit: It seems to be doing the same Baki premise of "guy who wants to fight his dad"

edit2: This is a top-tier fightmans comic, highly recommend

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 18, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth TNT posted:

Magu chan was super sweet again. I read somewhere that's it's not selling that well though. :(

I would really miss it!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rave Master is better than Fairy Tail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnJa2kZx5GY

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tosk posted:

Ended up blowing through this, imo it was very enjoyable for quite a while but then gotta kinda really yikes toward the back end of what's out. Secretary or w/e lady being told to just let the MC beat her so he can go ahead and calm down got a real cringe out of me

Maria has some extremely good Gremlin Ranna from Rokudou energy, tho

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Ended up blowing through this, imo it was very enjoyable for quite a while but then gotta kinda really yikes toward the back end of what's out. Secretary or w/e lady being told to just let the MC beat her so he can go ahead and calm down got a real cringe out of me

Maria has some extremely good Gremlin Ranna from Rokudou energy, tho

Had a similar experience after just completing a binge of Fight Class 3. It was a pretty fun fighting series; good art, action, characters. I especially enjoyed how many great female fighters there were, and how they were treated as legitimate combatants; I can think of few other series with such good mixed-gender fights. But, from around Chapter 75 on, the original school setting and cast has been almost completely dropped in favor of this new tunnel setting and cast, and the protagonist has undergone a sudden total personality shift to 'psycho', all of which has been a major downgrade. I'm hoping this new direction doesn't last much longer, it's a real shame.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
P. sure it's literally the first time i've encountered a story where i went all " No no no, go BACK to the school setting, please! Give me more high school instead of less!"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah Fight Class 3 has really gone downhill recently. Luckily there's still Batuque

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I did forget to comment that Yeo Eun-Sol is extremely good which, yeah, makes the shift to the tunnel even worse

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Had a similar experience after just completing a binge of Fight Class 3. It was a pretty fun fighting series; good art, action, characters. I especially enjoyed how many great female fighters there were, and how they were treated as legitimate combatants; I can think of few other series with such good mixed-gender fights. But, from around Chapter 75 on, the original school setting and cast has been almost completely dropped in favor of this new tunnel setting and cast, and the protagonist has undergone a sudden total personality shift to 'psycho', all of which has been a major downgrade. I'm hoping this new direction doesn't last much longer, it's a real shame.

I get the impression that we've already hit the nadir and that the protagonist is going to be gradually brought back from his madness by the handsome guy + Maria (whenever she wakes up), and I think that the guy dating capoeira girl might also become involved - which might lead to the involvement of other class people - since he's apparently from the tunnel and connected to handsome guy. I agree that I want to see more of the class people, though; they're all really good. I'm optimistic about their continued involvement given the way the story is obviously starting to bring the playboy guy into things in some capacity.

I think that something along the lines of this arc was essentially inevitable because it's always been strongly implied that there's a lot of hosed up stuff going on with the Fight Class 3, Maria's background, and the protagonist's dad. Protagonist has always shown a willingness to do pretty much whatever it takes to get his sister back (with him initially joining the Fight Class with the intention of getting into Fight Class 3), and immediately preceding him going completely mad is the scene where he breaks down about feeling like he has no choice. I think doing this stuff while hating it (but also having prodigious talent for it) drove him mad. That being said, the story was pretty abrupt about it - it seemed like a very short time from him being pressed into attacking random people by Maria (I feel like Maria is probably going to have some regret about this when she wakes up) and him completely losing his poo poo. He's also done things that would absolutely cause permanent injury to people under most circumstances, which I would normally overlook if not for the fact that the series has been pretty accurate about this stuff in the past (like Maria's fight with the crazy "basically young Akoya from Kengan Ashura" guy).