Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

That's terrible news! But I'm glad I invested in a respirator now. Between the sawdust and the lacquer dust it's not a very healthy lifestyle.

Edit: and all the death wheels and death belts.

Bi-la kaifa fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I decided to get a good half mask when I got my knife grinder because now I'm working with steels and wood, I guess I don't want any of that poo poo in my lungs

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
As someone who works predominantly with MDF (making speaker boxes and shop projects mostly), he the fun part is getting my nurse SO to syringe the sawdust out of my ears after a fun day in the shop.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wouldn't happen if you wore your ear pro

:smuggo:

I'm kidding.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Ask me about all the times I take my dust mask off as well as my earpro immediately after breaking down sheet goods for assembly or fence/tooling setup because it tends to fog up my safety glasses

:downsbravo:

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
is it....possible to get respirators these days? i havent seen any at any hardware stores ive been to

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

is it....possible to get respirators these days? i havent seen any at any hardware stores ive been to

I ordered one off Amazon a few months ago and they were in stock when I was looking at filters earlier today.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Literally pages of them in stock on Amazon right now.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I got mine at home Depot. There were lots there.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I ended up getting goggles instead, as they wont fog up when wearing mask.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I just bought a half mask, which is itself cheaper than its ever been. $13 for a 3M. The filters are still expensive and hard to find.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
My 3m 6800 full face respirator is supposed to arrive Monday. Figured I might as well get something that protects my lungs and eyes at the same time. I'm getting the typical dust filters, but also a set of P100 (gas & vapour) for Covid reasons. Once it arrives I'm going to mod the vent so that I'm not blasting droplets.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
If I'm chopping (miter saw, table saw, router) wood (SPF, hardwoods like maple/oak, plywood, no MDF though) in my driveway for an hour on the weekends, is dust something I should be worried about? I have ear and eye protection but I haven't put too much thought into lung protection.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just throw one of your covid masks on, imo. That amount of work probably won't cause any long-term damage, but you'll be grateful for having done it the next morning.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Blistex posted:

My 3m 6800 full face respirator is supposed to arrive Monday. Figured I might as well get something that protects my lungs and eyes at the same time. I'm getting the typical dust filters, but also a set of P100 (gas & vapour) for Covid reasons. Once it arrives I'm going to mod the vent so that I'm not blasting droplets.

I’ve started considering wearing mine out in public but the thing that stopped me was the vent. I’m thinking about a few layers of cloth hot glued over it for the time but for now I’ve got a half dozen kn95s left. I am out among people maybe once a month so the 10 pack I bought has lasted quite a while.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I’ve started considering wearing mine out in public but the thing that stopped me was the vent. I’m thinking about a few layers of cloth hot glued over it for the time but for now I’ve got a half dozen kn95s left. I am out among people maybe once a month so the 10 pack I bought has lasted quite a while.

I know that the vent is vented downwards, but was wondering if it was possible to fit a P95 circular filter over it from inside the mask so your breath is helping the seal. I'm legit surprised there are not a million YouTube videos of people doing mods.

Once I get my hands on it I'll have a better idea.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

epalm posted:

If I'm chopping (miter saw, table saw, router) wood (SPF, hardwoods like maple/oak, plywood, no MDF though) in my driveway for an hour on the weekends, is dust something I should be worried about? I have ear and eye protection but I haven't put too much thought into lung protection.

Nah that's probably fine

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Do you blow out boogers at the end of the day that look like wood putty?
If yes then you should probably wear some sort of dust mask. Even just a bandana bandito style would be good enough for that.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

You could probably attach any sort of regular mask over the vent, with the ear pieces hooked around the filters

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Danhenge posted:

You could probably attach any sort of regular mask over the vent, with the ear pieces hooked around the filters

Two is one, one is none

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For awhile I used my half-mask respirator as a covid mask, with a couple of layers of scrap cloth over the (outside of the) vent. Experimentally it cut the perceptible airflow by a significant amount, though I couldn't say how it compares to using a homemade cloth mask. It was nice since the respirator forms a full seal around the nose+mouth, so my glasses wouldn't fog up, but on the other hand I felt kind of like a dipshit wearing my "fancy" respirator instead of a regular mask.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
3M’s 7093 filters are the bee’s knees for particulate filtration. P100 level and they’re water resistant because they were designed so they could be worn into decontamination showers. Digikey has three thousand of them in stock.

For the respirator housing, I’m happy with the 6502. It’s cheap, it’s light, it seals against my face, it’s not uncomfortable, and it’s held up to daily use for months. To cover the exhaust port, I cut squares out of flat disposable surgical masks, drape it over the port, and twist a piece of wire around to secure it. There’s just enough of a lip where the port snaps onto the respirator body (because it’s manufactured as a separate piece) to allow this. Rubber bands work, but it doesn’t feel as secure. String could work, but that’s more effort in making knots.

e: To be clear, Digikey’s filters are listed as 7093B and that’s an equivalent part number.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 15, 2021

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

Two is one, one is none

Yeah, I mean, if you're in a situation where you're exposed enough that you really want to wear the respirator you should probably just re-think your priorities in terms of being out and about in the world.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Are there any decent respirators for beard-havers? I don't feel like shaving just so I can wear one but also VOC huffing isn't my idea of a great time. I wouldn't hate a papr, but holy poo poo are they expensive.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Olothreutes posted:

Are there any decent respirators for beard-havers? I don't feel like shaving just so I can wear one but also VOC huffing isn't my idea of a great time. I wouldn't hate a papr, but holy poo poo are they expensive.

No. Full head containment is pretty much your only option if you're rocking any kind of beard that makes it to your sideburns. The rubber seal needs to make contact with bare skin to be fully effective, and some models might require you to shave sideburns or trim even a fairly tight goatee or mustache.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Olothreutes posted:

If you have a fairly short beard a normal half face one will still seal decently. My beard is maybe 1/2" long and my 3m half face thing seals well enough that I can't breathe if I cover the filters. It's not the OSHA-approved way to wear one though-you are really supposed to be clean shaven wherever the respirator goes (this is why every welder has a goatee).

E: I kind of need a new respirator but my local lowesdepot and normal industrial supply place where totally out, so YMMV with finding one.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

That's why firefighters only ever have mustaches, if anything at all.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you have a fairly short beard a normal half face one will still seal decently. My beard is maybe 1/2" long and my 3m half face thing seals well enough that I can't breathe if I cover the filters. It's not the OSHA-approved way to wear one though-you are really supposed to be clean shaven wherever the respirator goes (this is why every welder has a goatee).

E: I kind of need a new respirator but my local lowesdepot and normal industrial supply place where totally out, so YMMV with finding one.

Yeah, I generally keep it to about a centimeter long. I'll see what I can find, I may end up ordering from amazon or whatever.

I know you're supposed to shave, that's why all the military guys have those absurd mustaches that look like garbage (please shave those off, Staff Sergent, it is not a good look). Otherwise the MOPP gear won't seal.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For awhile I used my half-mask respirator as a covid mask, with a couple of layers of scrap cloth over the (outside of the) vent. Experimentally it cut the perceptible airflow by a significant amount, though I couldn't say how it compares to using a homemade cloth mask. It was nice since the respirator forms a full seal around the nose+mouth, so my glasses wouldn't fog up, but on the other hand I felt kind of like a dipshit wearing my "fancy" respirator instead of a regular mask.

I do kind of worry what people’s reaction would be but on the other hand way better than a cloth mask for COVID. Reactions probably wouldn’t be too bad though since my outings in public are pretty much limited to Home Depot and Menards. We pretty much have everything else delivered. Even started using hello fresh for a few meals a week.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I do kind of worry what people’s reaction would be but on the other hand way better than a cloth mask for COVID. Reactions probably wouldn’t be too bad though since my outings in public are pretty much limited to Home Depot and Menards. We pretty much have everything else delivered. Even started using hello fresh for a few meals a week.

No different than the guy I saw at the grocery store with a scuba mask in April.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I have a previous gen version of one of these that I use when sanding or doing any prolonged dust generation with power tools, or when I'm emptying the dust collector. It'll definitely protect you if you have a beard (I don't) buy for COVID purposes is at least as bad as a valved 95 mask

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I can't use anything with significant VOCs in my shop anyway, since it's in my basement. So most of my finishes are BLO/danish oil/paste wax, shellac, or water-based poly.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I would recommend the BLS series of half masks. Quite possibly the most comfortable face seal i've worn and a really really clever attachment system so you can just drop the mask off your face when you don't need it, then just pop it back up.

I also got some of those ISO tunes bluetooth ear defenders for Christmas since I just Wwouldnt wear my big clunky defenders if I could get away with it. Super useful.

3M are really good, but they're also the company every Tom Dick and Harry has heard of so they've rinsed the P3 filters worldwide. Moldex are another good half mask brand but not as good as the BLS imo.

Olothreutes posted:

If you want a reasonably priced PAPR system Centurion do a fairly cheap one compared to others. With the change in law regarding welding regulation it brought a lot of cheaper models onto the market.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 16, 2021

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Finished up this sewing caddy today. Some scrap wood (hence the filled nail holes), all hand tools. It’s been a while since I’ve used rasps and files for shaping so that was fun. my last bandsaw blade broke on the first cut so I used a chisel for most of the curves else except the inner of the handle which was done with a crappy coping saw.

Glue up was a huge pain because of how I captured the bottom panel, and how all the dividers interlock. I wouldn’t do it that way again but the result looks good with all the joinery hidden.

The stuff that needs to fit in it:

Getting the basic size and joinery

After some testing we found the compartments too small so I modified them to be a bit taller to handle longer objects, and made the shorter ones sorter so fingers can get in more easily.

The annoying glue-up

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 16, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
SCUBA divers sometimes use silicone grease to get a mask to seal over facial hair.

It’s messy and I wouldn’t trust my life on it, but if you’re just dealing with a non‐critical irritant in the shop and you really want to keep that hair, it may help.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

The annoying glue-up

Nicely done, looks great, and those dovetails give it some great detail. How did you cut those stopped grooves in the left and right sides?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
There's a local guy selling a Porter Cable PC305TP Planer on Facebook, it looks like nobody has been biting so the price has been dropping. It's listed at $100, and says it needs new blades. He says it's about 6-7 years old and that he hardly used it although I'm a little skeptical. When I asked how old it was he volunteered that he had put some heart of pine through it, which is what chewed up the blades. He responded to me in complete sentences, and wasn't particularly pushy about making the sale so it doesn't look like he's in a super big hurry to unload it. Any thoughts about how reasonable that is, if I'm willing to take some risk?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
How much are new blades? And don't leave with it until you've seen it running. How much would it have been new?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

serious gaylord posted:

How much are new blades? And don't leave with it until you've seen it running. How much would it have been new?

About $300 new for that planer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Yeah, it's a little over $300 new, replacement blades are $20-30, it's a dual-blade rather than triple-blade planer. It's apparently a rebadge of the old Delta TP305, a lot of the parts are interchangeable I guess.