Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I have ideas, but they're not really informed by anything more than what happens in the game... and since there's a lot more game to go, I'd better hold off for now.

Funny thing about Jose: I suspect my story about meeting him is much the same as a lot of yours, as I went to the Thieves' Den pretty much the first chance I got and was like "Who on earth are you?" Because his name is actually not presented until you meet him in the story... much like the characters you haven't met yet aren't there until you've met them.

I generally like the Thieves' Den, since it allows you to listen to the amazing music and fool around with in-game assets a bit, including the short character beats which do actually fix some of the problems I had with them the first time around (and some that make them worse, but let's not talk about that). But it's hard to go there without falling down the Tycoon Hole for mumblemumble hours (boy, is it me, or have in-game games gotten better lately? I want to finish the Yakuza series, but i keep getting cauht up in trying to teach myself mahjong!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

*reading from phone* AITA for burning my (57M) girlfriend's (19F) pictures of her grandmother because she insulted my wife (25F)?

This isn't a real post someone made on Reddit, is it? :negative:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

:shrug:
Seems Reddit enough to me.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

silence2090 posted:

Anyone have ideas about Jose? Because all I have is that he has Gold Velvet Room Eyes ™.
He's an automaton, which is the cool fantasy word for a robot.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Supersonic Shine posted:

He's an automaton, which is the cool fantasy word for a robot.

No, he has ears. Also we see him drinking something. That's, like, the one thing he definitely can't be.

Which I realize sounds like a shitpost, but Persona has robots, they're specifically noted as not being able to drink things, and they never have ears.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

silence2090 posted:

Anyone have ideas about Jose? Because all I have is that he has Gold Velvet Room Eyes ™.

Is that the same eye color that Shadows have?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shadows, Igor's Little Helpers and Personas all have yellow eyes.

Not Igor himself though.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Funky Valentine posted:

Shadows, Igor's Little Helpers and Personas all have yellow eyes.

Not Igor himself though.

There are certain Personas and shadows that don't have yellow eyes. Nonetheless, Jose having yellow eyes is an interesting detail.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
All the main characters have yellow eyes when they first awaken their personas (except for Futaba, but her shadow's there for her awakening, and she has yellow eyes), though I guess that ties into the whole Personas have yellow eyes thing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How do you do fellow kids humans

KarmaKummitus
Aug 4, 2012
There is a sequal, of a sorts, coming for Persona 5. Managed to get daily game suggestion list from steam yesterday. Persona 5 Striker/Scrambler. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1382330/

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
It's basically anything originating from The Sea of The Soul that has yellow eyes.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Considering all the art of Boy With Earring (tm) having yellow eyes, maybe the same goes for anyone that spends too much time there?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
They're putting everything except Persona 5 (Royal) on Steam, aren't they.
Given the success of Golden, I think it's only a matter of time (unless a contract literally forbids it - but that may expire) but man are they making people wait.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Lunar Suite posted:

They're putting everything except Persona 5 (Royal) on Steam, aren't they.
Given the success of Golden, I think it's only a matter of time (unless a contract literally forbids it - but that may expire) but man are they making people wait.

Given that, so far as I can recall, the steam release of P4 Golden is the only case of a mainline Persona game ever being released on anything not a playstation system, they probably do have an exclusivity contract with Sony.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 27: 5/8-5/9: What’s Bonkin’?

This update contains content from Parts 24 and 25 of the original LP.

Anon: Who’s spreading this?

Daytime

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

The Phan-Site was useful, I take it?
>Ehh, debatable.

It’s OK, you don’t have to say it. I know deep down in my heart that it was useful.

Anyway, I’m in Shibuya right now. Come meet me at the diner, I’ve got some ideas for helping you out!

What is he up to…?

Music: My Homie

Oops, hah, sorry about that. I, uh, haven’t been getting a lot of sleep lately. I’ve been staying up managing the Phan-Site all night, every night. I think it’s called… PR?

…Why are you doing this, exactly?
Someone’s gotta manage your #brand! If you want people to know about you, you need someone keeping track of all your successes! That’s where my Phan-Site comes in.

I… I wish I could be more like you guys somehow.

But don’t worry! I’ll still be here to weed out the #haters and boost your profile! With my help as your strategic image management representative, your popularity is going to skyrocket! I’ll earn that title, just you wait! *yaaawn* It’s tiring work, but someone’s gotta sort through the unrelated chaff people post on the Phan-Site for you guys. I’ve already found some good information about our school, too!

I’ll give it my all!

Mishima seems motivated…

Like before, to progress Mishima from this point on we need to complete requests for him.

*yaaawn* Man, I’m exhausted… I think I’d fall asleep on the spot if I weren’t talking to you. I should head home… See you later.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I was checking the Phan-Site earlier, and found a bunch of hater comments about the Phantom Thieves! It got me so mad, I’m not even sleepy anymore. At this point, I might as well pull an all-nighter fighting back!

Amazing how little power it takes to go to someone’s head.

Well, I’m gonna work my butt off! Just watch me! Well, duty calls. I better set out for the Battle of the Phan-Site.

Yes, hello Mishima-san. I’m afraid it turns out that your son has Poster’s Brain. It’s terminal.

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

What about that diner in Shibuya that Mishima told you about? Could be a good place for studying, right? You have permission to go out at night, so, no time like the present.

(Male Host) Here’s what we’ve got for you today! Here we go, the Relaxation Set! Everything you need for when you’re not feeling your best! 1 Recover Oil, 3 Relax Gel, and… 3 Alert Capsule! Are you seeing this!? What a great deal! But that’s not all! There’s more! Next up, we have the Bio Nutrients Set! Great for anyone with a green thumb or a love of plants! 1 Mega Fertilizer and 5 Garden Energy! These will both be in one set! What a steal!

We’re going for the Bio Nutrients Set because the Mega Fertilizer will give us an extra point of Kindness next time we feed our plant.

Next up, aojiru. Maaku gains Guts +1.

Now we head to work at the beef bowl shop.

Music: Everyday Days

Gah gently caress

Your manager can’t hire more people to help out? You were extremely overworked. I’ll keep this in mind for one of my speeches later… Thank you for the food.

He knows who you are now! Let’s talk to him again soon.

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Bonus pay for handling things well, nice.

Maaku gains Proficiency +3.

Anon: ya rite lol

Early Morning

You going snowboarding or something?
(Bespectacled Office Worker) I hear the cedar’s blooming later than usual… Climate change and what have you. Guh… Pollen allergies suck… I couldn’t got to the mountains even if I wanted to… My eyes and nose would gush like rivers.
That sounds awful…
That’s right, the news said pollen season was starting later than usual this year. Looks like the pollen problems have only just begun. People are about to have some itchy eyes. This might affect Mementos the same way weather does.

Ungh… …….

What’s the matter? You seem out of it. Is this that “post-partum depression” I’ve heard so much about?
No. What? No.

But… um… actually… I’ve been having this feeling that someone’s watching me… I hope not… Oh! Maybe I just can’t shake off the feeling of infiltrating a Palace! At the Palace, we’re always cautious of not being noticed, you know! So it has tro be my imagination… Yeah…

In a month or so once we’ve met Yusuke and cleared up this whole “stalking” misunderstanding, we’ll look back on this and laugh. Well, maybe not you, Ann. You’re probably just gonna think about the whole “nude modeling” thing. Sorry.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

Yeah, people are talking openly about Kamoshida now that he’s gone.
I wish we could get some credit for it though…
It’s fine. Kamoshida’s being punished.

I wonder what’s gonna happen to him now. I mean, he’s a famous criminal at this point, right? He’s gonna have to deal with people hating him forever…
That might be true, but I don’t have any sympathy for him. He got what he deserved.
For sure.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

I saw it on the Phan-Site, but I’ve heard about it at school too. Anyway, there’s a guy at school whose bullying has gone too far. I want to help the victim, but that’s impossible for me… But I bet the Phantom Thieves could do something about it! I mean, you already changed the heart of that stalker, so this should be a breeze, right?

The bully’s name is Daisuke Takanashi. Good luck!

Actually, no. The cat made me come here for some reason even though I have other poo poo to do today.
Yeah, we should be studying anyway.
I’m not doing that either.

Hey, Makoto.

Was he acting any different after that strange posting went up?
(Scared Volleyball Player) Ummm… I think he was the same as always, but I’m not sure… I heard he’s dangerous, so I try to keep my distance from him…

I’m sorry, I don’t know anything else… Is he involved in this?

I finally found a trainin’ spot. Wanna come with?

Music: What’s Going On?

It’s pay per visit, so you don’t gotta worry about any bullshit contracts or nothing. The equipment’s kinda crappy, but they got tons of variety. Plus, it’s real drat cheap, totally worth it, even without a pool or hot tub.

Gyms in Tokyo have hot tubs? I have such things to learn…
…You bring *the stuff*?
Gatorade? Nah, the football milk gives me heartburn.
I mean spare undies!
Ryuji, we came straight here from school and I didn’t know we were doing this today. Thankfully, I always carry around an extra pair of briefs for emergencies.
Right, let’s head inside!

Music: Break it Down

Phew… My form’s… comin’ back… but I don’t got… any stamina… *cough*

You can’t just do that. Oh, and you don’t need to call me senpai anymore. I’ve always graduated, remember.

If it’s good enough for Rise, it’s good enough for me.

Him? He’s, uh… a friend!

Hesitation noted.

By the time he showed up, the track team was already… well, y’know.
Speaking of which, how’s your leg?
Eh, I’m managin’… How ‘bout you, Senpai? You still runnin’?
I actually joined my university’s track team. You’d think I would’ve quit entirely after what happened…
About that, I’m real sorry…
No, I should be the one apologizing. I was supposed to be the leader of our team, yet I just resigned myself to Kamoshida’s will…

You needed his letter of recommendation though. You were just trying to look out for your future, and I messed it up…

Kamoshida clearly never intended on writing my letter of recommendation. You were just his excuse not to. And honestly, I enjoy where I am now. The track team isn’t anything special, but it’s perfect for me. So in truth, I should be thanking you for what you did, Sakamoto.
Senpai…
I’ve always regretted not doing more to protect you guys… But I heard some good news recently… The Shujin track team’s being reinstated!
For real!?

I guess after Kamoshida confessed all that horrible stuff he did the school got the old team together and told them they want to start it back up.
I hadn’t heard…
Weird, I’m not even a student but I found out. But they’re getting Yamauchi to be their advisor.
Hold up, the Yamauchi who…
…Was Kamoshida’s lapdog? Yeah. Apparently he volunteered. He sounded pretty enthusiastic about helping the team reform. But hey, there’s no need for any hard feelings now that the team’s coming back, right? Maybe you should talk to them. I’m sure they could use someone like you.

…Yeah.

…Good for them.

What’re you thinking?
I dunno. I’m glad for them, but I don’t think I really have a place there anymore. And… I’m worried about Yamauchi. He’s like a mini-Kamoshida.

He’d always yell at us at practice, then be a huge kiss-rear end when our parents were around. Ugh, I can’t believe a moron like that’s gonna be advisin’ the track team. He doesn’t even teach PE! …He’s gotta be up to something.

I might need your help with this, too.
Right on. It was weird your friend back there seemed chill about Yamauchi though.
Yeah, he’s a bit thick. Anyway, I’m countin’ on you!

I feel like my bond with Ryuji is growing deeper…

Let’s head home! Wait, I gotta shower first!

For that event, we picked options 2 (+3), 1 (+2), 2 (+3).

About that stuff today… I can’t really let myself be happy about the track team startin’ up again. Like I said earlier, there’s just somethin’ fishy about Yamauchi being the advisor. But I mean, if anything happens, I know you got my back. So I ain’t too worried!

I mean, we don’t know for sure if anythin’ sketchy’s goin’ on. But when I get these gut feelings… they’re usually right. Well, if I hear anything, I’ll hit you up. Okay, later!

After School → Evening

He apparently gives speeches at Shibuya Station, but… you can’t judge a book by its cover.

Sweet.

One new thing in Royal is that you can now get text messages from your part-time jobs asking you to come in. I believe you get extra pay if you acquiesce, but I forgot to check this one so I don’t remember!

We’re going to buy this new book, even if we won’t be able to read it for a while.

Are you interested in politics?

Are you a student? I’m delighted to captivate the interest of someone your age. …Hm? Have I seen you somewhere before…? Oh, you were working at the beef bowl shop before! You have a lot of perseverance for a young person. Well, if you’re interested, I could use your help. I want to change the state of this country, and to do so, I need the power of the youth. ...However, due to certain regulations, I can’t offer a job to a student. I was thinking you could learn some things if you chose to attend a few of my speeches though...

Really!? That would be helpful indeed! Well then… would you mind telling me your name and contact information? …… You’re a student from Shujin Academy, hm? It’s nice to meet you. I am Toranosuke Yoshida. I used to be a member of the Diet… but no longer. In the past twenty years, I’ve lost seven straight elections… This isn’t good. I’m dwelling on the negative right before my speech. Well then, I hope I can count on your help immediately.

With common sense no longer our guide, we make decisions based on our selfish wants and desires. This has resulted in a deluge of self-centered people who delight in taking advantage of the weak. However, even in this modern day and age, it is imperative that we act in the best interests of all. A world where it is acceptable to trample on the rights of others for your own benefit… A world where the young exist only to be exploited… Is a world that must be changed!

Music: Suspicion

(Elderly Woman) Hmph, easy for him to say… Old-timers like me have our hands full taking care of ourselves.
(Young Man) He’s actually making some good points, but he’s a no-name… He probably won’t get too far. Nothing’s going to change. We’ll just keep getting exploited.
(Grim-Faced Man) …What’s this wannabe politician blathering about now? He isn’t even affiliated with a party. How about you just leave matters of state in the capable hands of the Liberal Co-Prosperity Party!
You mustn’t base your decision on whom to support merely according to the party they belong to…
Ah, just shut up already! You’re just a washed-up politician!
If I am chosen to represent the will of the people, then I am fully prepared to…
“In the best interests of all”!? Hah! Save your blathering for when you get elected! ...IF you get elected!

Well, what did you think of my speech?

I liked your message.
Thank you. It’s encouraging to see someone so young appreciate my speeches, even if the audience has a different opinion. They think I should concentrate on getting elected before I make such bold proclamations.
Don’t listen to them, never change for nobody. There’s people like me who’ll appreciate your honesty.
It’s good to hear that.
But still, is that kind of heckling normal?
I’m afraid so. I’ve become used to it, but that’s not necessarily good either… But I must press on, no matter what.

I think I can learn a lot by listening to Yoshida’s speeches…
Perhaps I’ll ask for your impressions again sometime.

Please do, Tora.

Line Changes!!!!!

When Mishima texts us about the bully, his last line “Just make sure nobody knows I told you the name!” is now “I know you can handle this!” Right after that, Morgana’s line “What good timing!” is now “Oh! You got some info on a new target!” Also, Morgana’s line “Let’s go gather at the hideout and discuss!” is now “We got some info from Mishima. Let’s head to the hideout!”

The big change from this chapter is in Ryuji’s Rank 5 event.

Ikeda-senpai! Goornin’!
Don’t you mean “good morning”? Hahaha, you’re as eloquent as ever, Sakamoto.
Heck yeah, man! I’ve been studyin’ my words n’ poo poo!
Of course you have, haha.

is now:

Ikeda-senpai! What’s bonkin’?
“Bonkin’”? You say the strangest things. Is that how you greet a friend?
I’ve been tryin’ to come up with some cool new slang. Maybe it’ll catch on!
You can’t just do that.

The big thing about this that sticks with me is that it isn’t actually morning, so the original reply makes no sense. But also, “What’s bonkin’?” is so hilariously dumb, I love it.

When you examine the TV in Leblanc on 5/9, Morgana’s response to the news story about Kamoshida has changed from “The school is swarming with police. Anyway, it looks like that’s the end of this case.” to “There were police at the front entrance, weren’t there? Looks like this case is coming to a close.”

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 1, 2022

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I mourn the loss of "studyin’ my words n’ poo poo".

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYBZrRCCrXE

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

The big thing about this that sticks with me is that it isn’t actually morning, so the original reply makes no sense. But also, “What’s bonkin’?” is so hilariously dumb, I love it.

The Japanese text (both original and Royal) has Ryuji saying 'ozassu', which is (according to him) a combination of 'ohayougozaimasu' (good morning/hello), 'otsukaresama' (good work), and 'ohisashiburi' (long time no see). I'm gonna say throwing it out entirely and making something else up was the correct move.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 28: 5/10-5/13: Speech Therapy (New)

This update contains content from Parts 25 and 26 of the original LP.

Anon: “of hearts”? what tryhards

Early Morning

And I noticed while stalking you that you’ve been coming to school with Takamaki-san. Are you dating, perchance? That would be moving quickly, given your transfer.
Nah, it’s not that. Sorry, did you say “stalking”?
Hmm… but you seemed so close yesterday morning.

I heard she was a victim of Mr. Kamoshida, but was that all there was to it…? Either way, closer inspection should clear everything up… Goodbye.

What????

Early Morning → Morning

Now then, picking up from last time… The end of the Heian period marks the rise of the samurai, which I’m sure you’ve all been waiting for. As described in “The Tale of the Heike,” it was a time when all that was great would fall from grace. It wasn’t unusual for the heroes of yesterday to be struck down as rebels of the present day. By the way, sympathizing with the loser or the weak is called “magistrate’s patronage.” That term came from Minamoto no Yoshitsune’s position… And it also became a way of referring to him as well. All right, Hamiru-kun.

That’s right. He supported his brother, Yoritomo, during the Heian period. But despite his contributions in defeating the Taira, he was driven out by his brother and ultimately executed… However, in the centuries that followed, Yoshitsune became more popular as a tragic hero.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Rather than siding with the one who has overwhelming power, people prefer the underdog opposing them. It’s sort of like rooting for a minor-league baseball team instead of an all-star, major-league one.
I can understand that. It’s like, if I don’t root for them, then who will?

Morning → After School

No.

Hey, uh… Do you remember that guy Yamauchi I was talkin’ about before?

The hell’re you talkin’ about!? That’s a dog, man!

…Anyways, Yamauchi’s the teacher who’s gonna end up bein’ the new track team advisor. He don’t give a rat’s rear end about the sport though… or even the students. So y’see, I heard this rumor… apparently he’s got in trouble at school before with his drinkin’… but that hasn’t kept him from goin’ out. I was thinkin’, maybe he’d let some poo poo slip when he’s drunk. We should totally try and tail him sometime. I’ll look into where he goes to drink. What’s the plan for today though? You gonna train with me?

Let’s get changed then. We can meet at, uh… Hmmm, somewhere’s gotta be open. Let’s try lookin’ around at school.

Music: What’s Going On?

I mean, we’d prolly run into Nakaoka and them if we stuck around here… You got any ideas?

What if… we just *didn’t* train?
I don’t follow.
Ryuji, every time we do this I feel like I’m going to die. My bones, they’re going to snap like twigs. I wasn’t designed for this!

…Eh, I guess it won’t hurt to peek ‘round the gym. If they ain’t there, maybe we can—

…Nakaoka?

(Takeishi) We’re beating up Nakaoka because he was the one leaking our secrets to Kamoshida. Stay out of it.
C’mon, that can’t be true! Besides, three-on-one is pretty chickenshit.
You should trust him. Mainly because you’re all assholes in my view, and shitheads gotta stick together, but still.
Right! The track team’s comin’ back, and you’re teammates! There’s no reason to fight, just let it go!
Shut up, Sakamoto! Who do you think told Kamoshida about your dad? It has to have been him! Let me at him!

H-Hold up!

If you think that’s gonna make you feel better, go for it. …But you’re gonna wish you didn’t. Trust me, it feels real bad lookin’ back on lovely stuff you’ve done.
(Brown-Haired Track Member) Huh?
Look. Even if Nakaoka was workin’ with Kamoshida… ain’t it fine now? The bastard’s gone, so you guys can just put this crap behind you. There’s no reason to fight, yeah?
We can’t keep people around who’re gonna try and undermine our team.
(Nakaoka) But… I didn’t do anything. I wasn’t working with Kamoshida. No matter how much you hit me, my answer’s gonna stay the same.

Don’t lie. Yamauchi told us all about it.

…Yamauchi?

(Short-Haired Track Member) We should get out of here before anyone shows up, Takeishi.

…Nakaoka. poo poo like you isn’t welcome on our new track team. You’d better remember that.

What the hell was all that?

Back off. It’s got nothing to do with you. When you hit Kamoshida, you betrayed everyone who had to endure his poo poo. All you did was make life harder for us. We lost the only place we had where we belonged.
Buuuuuullshit!
Don’t tell me it’s all fine now, because it’s been rough ever since then! Besides, you wouldn’t still think it’s “fine” if I told you I *did* tell Kamoshida about your parents, would you?
…I would. I’m over all that stuff. And even though I messed up with Kamoshida, being stuck in the past won’t change anything that happened. I just gotta keep bein’ myself… bein’ free.

What’re you talking about? Free, huh? Haha…

Nope. I think this whole track thing is complete bullshit, honestly. I just said as much, in fact.

I guess bein’ free is like… It’s like how I feel when I’m talkin’ to you, man.

What?

Uhhh, I don’t know what else I gotta say. I just feel… free.

No really, I have no idea what the gently caress you’re talking about.

What, we stuck on repeat or something? Hahaha!

*laughter*
I feel like my bond with Ryuji is growing deeper…

…So much for trainin’ though, huh? C’mon, let’s get outta here. Oooh, we should grab ramen on the way home!

For that event we chose options 3 (+3), 1 (+3), 1 (+3), 1 (+0), 1 (+0).

All that mess with the track team… Guess I was right about my gut feeling. And Nakaoka can get weirdly stubborn sometimes. He’ll keep his mouth poo poo whether or not someone’s punchin’ him.

I thought you’re supposed to be the pacifist here!

Who told you *that*?

Look, I’m just sayin’ there’s gotta be another way to solve this instead of just goin’ dark!

Fiiiiiine.

And that bastard Yamauchi’s name came up again. I swear, somethin’ about that dude is so shady… ‘Kay, that’s it. I’m gonna do a full investigation. I’ll hit you up if I find anything! Later!

After School → Evening

This one’s actually really hard!

It took me ages to get the correct answer for this one.

It was “blight”, for the record.

And the main answer was “malaise.”

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

From there, we’re going to talk to Yoshida to re-unlock his Confidant.

I mean, you seem okay at this public speaking thing even if most people aren’t into it. Seems useful.

I’d love to help you, though… how shall I teach you? …It’s time for my speech. Let’s talk about this later.

They lack jobs, security, savings… The next generation will lead us into the future and yet they have no plan for how to arrive there.

This isn’t good…

You should use your speechifying mind judo and mediate their disagreement!
Of course! You two, please cease your quarrel! This matter is trivial, surely you both—
Shut the gently caress up!
Ah, well, nevertheless, back to my speech…

Wha—!?

They’re not gonna vote for you, pal! Why don’t you go embezzle some more funds or criticize another constituent, huh?
One of those seems much worse than the other.

You criminal!
No…! T-That was… all in the past…

Are you really a criminal? Because hey, maybe we’ve got even more in common than I thou—
I’m sorry about that. I made some mistakes long ago and they still follow me, I’m afraid. Whenever someone calls me “No-Good Tora,” I just panic.
What’s the story there?
Well, about 20 years ago, I was a member of the National Diet. I was a member of the “Kuramoto Children,” a group of up-and-coming politicians backed by powerful members of the Diet. However, my inexperience as a politician and as a person caused me to be involved in some major scandals. My blunders are known as “No-Good Tora’s Three Strikes.” I got caught missing a legislative meeting to take a personal vacation. Then, I was accused of embezzling a large sum of money from the party.
Wow. Did you do it?

Finally, I called a voter an idiot at an open forum, which resulted in scandal… and strike three.

Okay, yeah, cool, but… did you steal the loving money or not? I’m taking notes here, be specific.

I was out… and branded a washed-up politician. You said you wanted to become a member of the Diet. But do you see the man before you?

I’m pretty sure I didn’t say that.

However, he has conviction and wants to change the world. Public speaking skills could be useful to the Phantom Thieves, so I’ll make a deal with him.
Do you really want to receive my guidance?

I like the cut of your jib. You got passion.

I’m happy to hear that, however… Everyone says I have no chance to get elected, so why come to me?

You just gotta believe!

*chuckle* You’re doing a good job of cheering me up…

You might be right. Giving a good speech is all about believing in yourself. Maybe one day, I’ll be able to believe in myself once more. But enough about me. You’re a strange young man, Hamiru-kun. Alright. If that’s what you want, then I’d be happy to help in exchange for your continued assistance. Let’s get started.

I’ve made a deal with Yoshida…

Music: Interrogation Room

You! How talk good!? Tell I now!

Music: The Spirit

…Oh my, we’ve been talking for far too long. Let’s call it quits for today.

It’s about my speech schedules form this point on. Would you be willing to stick around to hear it?

I’ll be here giving my speeches every Sunday. You’re welcome to drop by and help whenever you’ve got the time. That’s all I wanted to say. Now, be careful on your way home.

Anon: sauce plz

Early Morning

(Serious-Looking Student) It’s the day after tomorrow, right? I wonder if it’s gonna be about Mr. Kamoshida again…
Ugh, I can’t believe the school is messing with our schedules like this…
I don’t care what it’s about—it’s gonna have nothing to do with us students. I wish they’d stop dragging us into their mess.

Oh hey, an assembly during exams? That’s new.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: Life Goes On

That sounds about right.

This looks tough, but let’s calm down and think it through.

Yoshitsune had a brother, right? Oh, I think his name was…

Yeah, that’s the one. Yoshitsune worked under Yoritomo. He did a lot for his brother. But they ended up[ coming into conflict. And in the end, when they had to oppose each other…

Yeah. Yoshitsune committed suicide after being exiled by his brother. But even though he lost, Yoshitsune the one who went down in history as a hero. That’s probably because people tend to sympathize less with figures in power, and sympathize more with…

Yeah. Not just any weak person, though. People love rooting for an underdog who stands up to powerful oppressors. And Yoshitsune did that to his brother. So the reason Yoshitsune is treated as a hero is because he stood up against the powerful Yoritomo!

Anon: Who made this site? Ridic

Morning

That sounds about right.

They asked this question wrong! You need to limit the number of colors!

That sounds about right.

Anon: gtfo with that poo poo LOL

Morning

That sounds about right.

That sounds about right.

Morning → Afternoon

Anon: laaame roflmao
Anon: Admin has to be trolling
Anon: not even worth a laugh
Anon: I searched… makes no sense
Anon: Who’s spreading this?

Think we can bring our flash cards in?
Kamoshida is just one of the many things wrong with this school…
I’ve got to hurry home and study!
That Kamoshida is still causing us trouble, even when he’s gone…

We believe the mental health of our student body is absolutely vital, so we’ve acquired the services of a therapist.

Translation: “Please don’t sue us.”

The floor is yours, Doctor…

Music: Ideal and the Real (Listen to this)

(Calm School Girl) Whoa, his voice is sexy!

Thank you for welcoming me to your school.

*assorted giggles and murmurs from the crowd*

Oh man, Big Himbo Energy radiating off this dude.

You can even call me Doc, if that would help you feel more comfortable.

It wouldn’t, but thanks anyway!

Any assistance you need, I’ll be—Oh… I guess I’m not really any good for helping with money problems…
*more snickering from the crowd*

God, when this principal actually has to take the reins… woof.

Well, our school’s made national news. Maybe they figured they’d look even worse if they didn’t do anything for us.
And Doctor, uh… Doctor Whatshisname.
Maruki.
Yeah—wasn’t that guy just basically clownin’ it up onstage? You really think he’ll do us any good?

Sakamoto-kun and Takamaki-san, right? And that must make you… Hamiru-kun.

How d’you know our names?

Those that had, ah… previous interactions with Mr. Kamoshida.

Hehehe.

Ahahaha, oh! Looks like this guy didn’t get much sleep last night!
So… whaddya want with us?
Ah yes, I’d forgotten… I know I already offered my services to the student body earlier, but would you three be interested in counseling?
Nope, not at all.

Huh!?
How’s that surprising?
You were just a touch more emphatic about it than I’d expected… Ah! But, if you come to my office, you can have free snacks! All you can eat… would be nice, but there’s still plenty to be had. So, how about it?

To be frank, I’ve been explicitly ordered to provide counseling to the students directly involved with Mr. Kamoshida. It’s in the school’s interest… for its students.

I know that asking you to be open with a complete stranger like myself is a lot. Making this mandatory wouldn’t do you any good, either. Might as well turn it into a worthwhile experience…

If you attend my counseling sessions, I’ll teach you different ways to improve your mental acuity. Like, ways to hone your concentration before exams, or not getting nervous on dates. How’s that sound?

I didn’t know therapists had secret mind powers, but hey, seems useful.

Uh…

There’s also snacks…

Yeah, one’s standing right in front of me heyooooooooo

Alright, alright, enough with the snacks!

*sigh* I guess it’d just be more trouble for us if we didn’t go.
Hmm, yeah.
Really? Then, I guess it’s a deal. I’ll be in the nurse’s office—feel free to come by whenever it’s convenient for you.
Welp, we should get goin’.
Okay, I’ll see you later.

Now that we have a deal, I promise I’ll do my best to help you.

One would need a heart of steel, unaffected by outside influences and prepared to act without hesitating. There has to be someone who helped strengthen your mental state. Sound like somebody you know?

I’m just a naturally stoic guy.

Music: The Spirit

One thing I’ll bring up that’s funny only to me: because they (obviously) had to record the dialogue for this Confidant initiation bit three years removed from the original game, Carrie Keranen’s (Caroline/Justine and Lavenza, the latter of whom I presume is supposed to be the one reading this) delivery on it is just… slightly off. It wouldn’t be as much of a problem if we hadn’t just heard an original read for Tora’s Confidant initiation, but it’s still noticeable. Which I think is totally fine and not actually a problem, it just cracks me up for no reason.

Also, that’s not the right “counselor”! Is it supposed to be a pun? What deck does “Councillor” come from anyway?

According to the Megaten wiki (which, again, you shouldn’t look up for spoiler reasons) it’s from the El Gran Tarot Esoterico, and is that deck’s equivalent to the Magician. It represents diplomacy, possibilites of choice, creativity, skills of persuasion, vitality, and power over mental illness. When reversed it represents indecisiveness, insecurity, lack of originality, sickness, or exploitation of the innocent.

Maruki is voiced by Billy Kametz, who recently broke out into voice acting and is pretty drat good at it, I’d say! He’s best known for playing Josuke in the Diamond is Unbreakable dub, as well as Ferdinand in Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Galo Thymos in Promare. He’s very good at Big, Dumb, and/or Angry, is what I’m saying. Maruki himself is a fun character and I like him a lot. We’ll be seeing a lot more of him in the game to come as one of this game’s new Confidants.

Music: Ideal and the Real

Sorry for keeping you like this. Well then…
*nod*

I have an addendum to the earlier assembly, regarding the counseling you’ve all been offered. The counselor will be available to you starting after school today, in the nurse’s office. Dr. Maruki will only be posted here through November, so be sure to speak with him soon if you feel the need. For the majority of you, it’s your choice whether or not you see him, but… there are a few students I’ll speak with later… The school’s decided: visits to Dr. Maruki will be mandatory for these individuals.

What, the counseling? It kinda sounds like we’re being forced to.

I don’t think we can afford to, since the school’s got their eye on us. I think I’m gonna try going today.

Lady Ann’s right. Make sure you visit him so you don’t draw any attention to yourself, okay?

Afternoon → After School

Yes?

Welcome. Are you here for a counseling session?
Yeah, is now a bad time?

Oh—but first, just relax, all right? I’m only here to listen to whatever you wish to talk about.
Sure.

Yes, I’d say that makes perfect sense. But don’t force yourself into talking with me. You could even just grab some snacks and be on your way, if you wanted! Haha…
No, it’s… it’s all right. I know I need to talk to someone about this, anyway. That is, if you’re willing to listen to the super-long story…
I absolutely am. Take all the time you need.

Yes. That’s why I wanted to get even with him… For Shiho.
Mmhm… And?

At first, I thought Kamoshida ought to face the same fate Shiho was going to put herself through… But…

…Later, I realized that wasn’t right. If he did take his own life, it wouldn’t undo Shiho’s suffering—in fact, it’d just give him the easy way out.
Is that so? You know, you are quite the wise, level-headed young woman, Takamaki-san.
Huh? Uh, I think you’ve got the wrong…
Nope—in fact, I think you’re wiser than I was at your age. I wasn’t anywhere near as mature as you are now.
…It’s not like I did anything special, though. If I hadn’t gone through my own share of hell, I don’t think I’d be so mature either.
I see… So, what’s on your mind now?
Right now? Hmm…I’m just hoping Shiho will get better quickly. We both suffered a lot, but… I just wanna get back to laughing and having fun together like we used to.

You can’t change the past, but you still want to keep your chin up and press onward—is that the gist of it?
Yeah, that sounds about right. I mean, it’d definitely be better if none of this had happened at all, but…
*chuckle* I definitely agree with you there. But, it’s impossible to wipe every tragedy from history.

Everyone would be so much happier if we could actually do that.

We should wrap things up here for today—thank you so much for coming to see me.
Oh no, thank you! I feel a ton better now that that’s all off my chest.
Hah, good to hear it—you deserve it. Feel free to stop by again anytime.

Maaku actually does want to go, he’s just trying to fit in.

It’s gonna suck more if we start attracting attention for skipping it. I think you should just go and give it a shot. Dr. Maruki’s easier to talk to than you’d think. Okay, see you tomorrow.

That’s in the nurse’s office in the Practice Building, right? I’ll just pass time in the area until you’re done.

Are you here for a session as well?

Yes, that’s right.

I’ve actually been seeing him for a while, before he ever came to Shujin.

Don’t go overselling me too hard though, Yoshizawa-san—I’m really nothing special.
Well, I need to get going. Please excuse me.

Well, full disclosure… The school gave me a brief rundown of the circumstances surrounding your transfer here.

Did you have to force yourself to accept everything that happened…? No, that doesn’t seem to be it… Now that you’ve told me more about yourself, I think I’ve realized something. It seems like you’ve largely been able to reconcile your internal world with your external one. I should note—that’s really, truly impressive. Even most adults can’t reliably manage that.

How to put it—You know how everyone has an internal reality? Some conception of themselves they’re striving for? Like, wanting to be a model student, or wanting to be loved and relied on… That kind of thing. But that idealized reality and the one in actuality are often far apart. That gap is responsible for a lot of people’s pain. Not everyone can ace their exams. And not everyone can be the heroes they wish they could be. You’ve already been through so much. That kind of suffering is usually enough to twist people up into dark places. But you—you’re standing up to it, and confronting a tough, painful reality. To me, that’s incredibly admirable. …Then again, maybe that’s a little weird for you to hear from a guy you just met, huh?

*looks at clock*

Somehow, the conversation just took on a life of its own, I guess… ……

I’m actually doing certain research along with my duties as a counselor. It’s not quite like counseling—more like a type of psychological treatment… Basically, it’s a project to learn more about people’s metaphorical hearts. What they think, how they feel.

Uh, I guess my point is… I’d like to ask you to help with that research!

Please! Any time’s good for me—I can work around your schedule. And, uh… I’ve got a lot of snacks, too! You can have them! They’re yours!

Maaku’s really into these snacks.

Let’s see… I know! Maybe I could teach you some tips for mental training? I happen to know a lot on the subject. I’m sure I can cook up a special regimen for you.

Detox X is really neat. Chance for instant recovery for an ailment, though only for Joker.

I’ll contact you when I’ve got time, or when I need some input from you.

This all seems above-board!

Now! I’d better do my part to repay you. Let’s talk about mental training and presence. Let’s see, first off…

Going to Maruki also rewards us with SP gain! Nice!

Also some “snacks.” Gum isn’t a snack, bro.

Thank you for your help today. I’ll see you around at school.

After School → Evening

Well, if you think the sessions are worthwhile, you should try going again sometime.

We can’t actually do anything in Leblanc tonight, despite Royal freeing up a lot of that time in general. Boo.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 8, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Now that you mentioned it I can definitely hear Ferdinand and Maruki sharing a VA.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm going to assume that "Non-Static Gum" is some weirdly phrased ailment cure (I'm guessing Shock, given the word "static") that you'll likely have a better item/skill to do the curing of by this point.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm sorry, but as a trained himbologist I cannot classify Doctor Maruki as a true himbo, as he lacks the essential himbo quality of Beefiness. As you can see from the diagram, he would be more accurately classified as a Decent Man - and arguably not even as that, depending on how we choose to define "Stupid."

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

I’m actually doing certain research along with my duties as a counselor. It’s not quite like counseling—more like a type of psychological treatment… Basically, it’s a project to learn more about people’s metaphorical hearts. What they think, how they feel.

And that's the moment when I was playing that I said "Of loving course Shujin hired a mad scientist for a loving school counselor".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'm sorry, but as a trained himbologist I cannot classify Doctor Maruki as a true himbo, as he lacks the essential himbo quality of Beefiness. As you can see from the diagram, he would be more accurately classified as a Decent Man - and arguably not even as that, depending on how we choose to define "Stupid."

I'll grade beef on a bit of a curve depending on the genre/style of the game but I have seen too many stringbeans get the label!
Have better standards for himbos, people!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pththya-lyi posted:

Sorry. Im sorry. Im trying to remove it

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

Ok sure but by this definition Ryuji isn't a himbo either which, lol.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arist posted:

Gum isn’t a snack, bro.

Meat Gum

q.e.d.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gen. Ripper posted:

Ok sure but by this definition Ryuji isn't a himbo either which, lol.

Maybe Athletic is a good-enough substitute for Beefy.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Maruki being FERDINAND VON AEGIR just makes so much sense and it all just clicked in my head

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Arist posted:

That’s right. He supported his brother, Yoritomo, during the Heian period. But despite his contributions in defeating the Taira, he was driven out by his brother and ultimately executed… However, in the centuries that followed, Yoshitsune became more popular as a tragic hero.

Yeah. Yoshitsune committed suicide after being exiled by his brother. But even though he lost, Yoshitsune the one who went down in history as a hero. That’s probably because people tend to sympathize less with figures in power, and sympathize more with…

Ah, the traditional suicide method, being executed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Qrr posted:

I'm blaming the cat when our test results come back

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just finished P5R a few weeks ago and hadn't looked up Maruki's VA but now reading that it's Kametz and it all clicked perfectly.

Anyway Detox X rules and really breaks a lot of the game's difficulty over its knee.

Arist posted:

I heard she was a victim of Mr. Kamoshida, but was that all there was to it…? Either way, closer inspection should clear everything up… Goodbye.

Man I had forgotten what a bitch Makoto is before she joins the team. Like drat girl, rude.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Qrr posted:

:goonsay: Well ackshually, compulsory seppuku was a common form of execution among the samurai class.

TwoPair posted:

Man I had forgotten what a bitch Makoto is before she joins the team. Like drat girl, rude.

She's great, isn't she? :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

She learned from the best. :v:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

Also, that’s not the right “counselor”! Is it supposed to be a pun?

This is kind of interesting, I'm pretty sure it's technically correct but in a way that most people wouldn't immediately think of - rather than councillor in the more obvious modern sense of 'lower-tier government official' sense it's like as in privy councillor, a special advisor to the monarch, which is a better fit for the arcana in any case.

You could argue it's a pun, or at least they probably didn't feel sorry about leaving it like that.

(the Japanese term is 顧問官, which appears to be an infrequently used term in modern discourse going by google and thus less confusable, though seems to be more common in Chinese)

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
drat, this is a big update.

Arist posted:

Ryuji, every time we do this I feel like I’m going to die. My bones, they’re going to snap like twigs. I wasn’t designed for this!
I don't know. Maaku does a lot athletic stunts in Palaces that would make him an Olympian Athlete.

Arist posted:

Okay, yeah, cool, but… did you steal the loving money or not? I’m taking notes here, be specific.
Ah yes, Maaku has learned how to "answer" Sae's questions from Yoshida.

Arist posted:

If you attend my counseling sessions, I’ll teach you different ways to improve your mental acuity. Like, ways to hone your concentration before exams, or not getting nervous on dates. How’s that sound?
I will reiterate various things you can search up on the Internet

Arist posted:

…It’s not like I did anything special, though. If I hadn’t gone through my own share of hell, I don’t think I’d be so mature either. I see… So, what’s on your mind now?
I see a formatting issue here.

Arist posted:

Don’t go overselling me too hard though, Yoshizawa-san—I’m really nothing special.
You having an anime portrait contradicts your statement.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arist posted:

Nope—in fact, I think you’re wiser than I was at your age. I wasn’t anywhere near as mature as you are now.
…It’s not like I did anything special, though. If I hadn’t gone through my own share of hell, I don’t think I’d be so mature either. I see… So, what’s on your mind now?
Right now? Hmm…I’m just hoping Shiho will get better quickly. We both suffered a lot, but… I just wanna get back to laughing and having fun together like we used to.

You didn't start a new line for one of the dialogue bits.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 29: 5/14-5/15: The World’s Most Oblivious Stalker

This update contains content from Parts 26 and 27 of the original LP.

Early Morning

Not studying is tiring work.

I envy Ryuji’s ability to stay up late. I’m not even that old, I’m just very sad. And now you are too!

Ah, more yawning! Looks like I wasn’t alone staying up all night goofing off!
What? I was up late studying.
Good work, Lady Ann. This idiot is doomed.
What? Your brain is the size of this walnut, except way smaller!
I can hear the empty rattling inside your brain from here.

Ugh, will you please shut up!? You’re gonna make me forget everything I memo—

Don’t worry, hallucinations are perfectly normal. I have them all the time.
We don’t have time to deal with that right now… What is it, Ann?
It’s… it’s nothing. I hope…
……

Video: Suspicious Person

Isn’t this bad?

Fine… Come on.

Huh…?

Music: Suspicious Person

Is there something you want?

That’s because…

So this is where your passion led. All is well that ends well.

Creepy! Well, seeya.

I didn’t even notice the calls from Sensei… But thank goodness, I caught up to you.

If you didn’t notice them, how did you know you got them at all? You haven’t checked your phone since we started this conversation. Wait, sorry, I’m interrupting you explaining how you’re totally *not* stalking me. Continue.

You’re the woman I’ve been searching for all this time! Please, won’t you—

Oh god, this again? Listen, buddy, I just got finished with a completely unrelated tragicomedy involving unwanted advances from a dude with no sense of personal boundaries. You’re at least not a pedophile, but I still need, like, at least another few days to recover from that one, oka—

Music: My Homie

Huh?
I can sense your inner passion bursting forth from the mere sight of you! Surely, you will be the muse I need to capture that essential spark!
KILL! KILL!
This is the sketchiest thing in the effin’ world, man. Please don’t tell me you’re going for this.
Will you do it? Please, tell me!
Wait, man. First, who even *are* you?
Oh, my apologies. I’m a second year at Kosei High, fine arts division. My name is Yusuke Kitagawa.

I’m Madarame-sensei’s pupil, and I am being allowed residence at his place. I’m striving to become an artist.

Wait, the same Madarame that was on that morning talk show the other day!?
Yes.
Who?
I have also never heard of this person, because I might as well have retrograde amnesia that deleted my memory of all but one event in my life before April 9th.
Wait, ain’t Madarame that dude Nakanohara told us about in Mementos?
Nah, couldn’t be. That would be needlessly contrived.

He was introduced as a super-famous Japanese-style artist who’s been recognized all over the world.

I’m sorry, Sensei. I’ll be right there!
That old guy’s Madarame?
Madarame-sensei’s exhibition will begin at the department store near the station tomorrow. I’ll be there to help out on opening day. Please come by. It’d be great if you could give me your answer in regard to being a model then…

You two look uncultured. I’ll give you tickets as well as a token of good faith, but I don’t expect you to show up.
I’m more of a Neo-Cubist guy myself.

Well then, I hope to see you there tomorrow!

Three years later I still don’t quite understand what Ryuji is saying here, because Yusuke, for all his faults, isn’t actually that easy to read.

You’re not plannin’ on goin’, are ya?

I might, actually.
What!?
Apparently I’m the most preternaturally beautiful woman in the entire world, so I have to use this power responsibly. By that logic, it seems right to help Yusuke out.

Yusuke… Mark my words, pretty boy, this means war!!!!

That’s basically what I said!

So be it. What I want to know most is your method. It’s true that Madarame was an unforgivable criminal worthy of the scorn thrown at him. He was an adult who cultivated his own fame and fortune by sacrificing the livelihood of children… But he’d been covering his tracks for years. How did you uncover the truth in such a short span of time?

We fuckin’ broke his kneecaps until he squealed. No, really, it was the Metaverse.
That nonsense again? …Fine. Even if I’m to believe that you can change hearts by stealing a person’s Treasure, then that raises another question… These mental shutdowns and psychotic breakdowns seem, at a glance, very similar to changes of heart… Did you have anything to do with those?
…… I have some… top-secret intel, Ms. Lady… Sojiro is the Tooth Fairy… Don’t tell him I know that… *barf*
Ugh, drat drugs… Hey, stay with me! Just keep talking about Madarame, okay? And keep it brief.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: Life Goes On

…… Well, it wasn’t too bad. You should have gotten a decent score, right?

Morning → Afternoon

Anon: try and steal it asshats
Anon: prolly some publicity stunt
Anon: Is this some kind of cult?
Anon: viral marketing…?
Anon: I’ve been waiting for this!
Anon: sauce plz
Anon: Who made this site? Ridic

Hey, are you gonna go in for counseling?
I saw the volleyball guys getting called in…
Oh poo poo, I got that question wrong!
I know, right? I feel like I have to protect that teacher!

Afternoon → After School

It’s over!
God, I’m screwed… How’d you do, Maaku?
The cat had to try to teach me how to write on the fly back there. Lost a lot of time on the essay questions.
You’re an absurd human being. Let’s just stop talking about this, okay?

…It’s no use. There ain’t any useful info. The number of posts are gettin’ less and less too…
I am not letting this end as a one-hit wonder, okay?

Let’s not stress out over this. Why don’t we use some of the money left over to go out for lunch?
No! This is my money!
I could go for some sushi!
I don’t think we have *that* much left…

Oh right. There are those tickets to Madarame’s exhibit! Wait, that’s tomorrow.
Don’t tell me… Was it love at first sight with that Yusuke guy?

No! It’s just… when I was watching that talk show, his artwork seemed pretty good. And the tickets are free, after all. And I’m still worried about what Nakanohara told us in Mementos, anyway.

…Madarame, was it?

C’mon, what are the odds that we’d just run into the guy Nakanohara was talking about? That would be incredibly convenient.
Well, we should still check it out. Wanna use the other two tickets, guys? C’mon, appreciate the fine arts.
Sounds boring, but… got nothin’ better to do.
We should go. If you can’t identify good art, you’re a pretender as a phantom thief.
I’m in. It sounds like the mature kind of boring.
All right. Let’s meet at the exhibit entrance tomorrow.

After School → Evening

I’m curious to know if this Madarame has anything to do with the name we heard in Mementos… We can’t afford to be late tomorrow. We’d better not go out right now.

Could he have been talking about the famous artist Madarame?

>You know, I didn’t want to say anything, but now that you mention it for the third time, I’m coming around to that possibility.
It’s a pretty rare last name, so I just figured it’s probably the same guy! If it’s true, then Kitagawa-san’s teacher is corrupt…
He treats people like tools, you mean. We gotta look into this for Yusuke’s sake.

Let’s finish off Bubbly Hills, 90210.

Music: “Joy” from Persona 3

(Girl voice) I… I still have feelings for you.
(Complete shithead voice) Hmm… I guess if you’re okay with the fact that I have a girlfriend… maybe we can work something out here!

Where does this game, of all games, get off lecturing me about that?

Maaku gains Charm +2.

Anon: prolly some publicity stunt

Early Morning

Anon: Thieves should be arrested!
Anon: Never even heard of them
Anon: Isn’t it just a prank?
Anon: gtfo with that poo poo LOL
Anon: even kids aren’t that dumb

Oh, that exhibition must be opening today.
It’s really packed… Wanna come back another time?
I want it, but it’s so pricey… I should take out a loan.
I wanna see that! Let’s go together sometime!

Early Morning → Daytime

Keep your head inside the bag. I don’t know how Maaku’s gotten this far while carrying you around everywhere, but you’re bound to get noticed with this many people around.

Hi.
…And you two are here as well.
You gave us tickets!
Just don’t bother any of the other visitors. Come now, Takamaki-san. I’ll show you the exhibit and tell you about the piece I’d like your help with.

Well, see you guys later.

She’ll be fine, Morgana. I don’t think Yusuke knows what sex is.

Maaaan, do we have to spend a perfectly fine Sunday lookin’ at paintings? I wanna go home…
Ryuji, we’ve been here for thirty seconds.
Yeah, I guess we should at least take a look around…
Huh? I was agreeing with you.

(Interviewer) Your imagination seems boundless. How do you find such deep reservoirs of inspiration time and time again?
I’m just a genius, I guess! Please, continue praising me.
Your styles are so diverse and plentiful, it’s incredible to think that it all comes from a single artist…
But it was! No plagiarism here! Certainly not an absurdly far-reaching and complicated series of frauds! I’m also not funding any massive political murder conspiracies, before you ask.

What’s important is to distance oneself from worldly desires such as money and fame.

Wow, you really live humbly, then! So inspiring!
Feels like I’ve heard the word “shack” somewhere before…

(Sharp-Eyed Customer) Madarame-san is actually here!?
(Excited Customer) Over there!
(Fangirl) I’m so glad I came on opening day!

There’s way too many people!
I’m getting crushed…

MY BONES

Anyways, we gotta head for the exit! Don’t die on us, all right!?

Yes. Sensei does it all… by himself…

Ah, the girl from yesterday. Are you enjoying the exhibit?
I don’t know how to put it into words… but it’s really amazing.
You’re sensing something from the artwork… That alone is enough to give us artists satisfaction. I hope this becomes a wonderful piece, Yusuke.

It had better be, if I’m gonna steal it…

Well then, if you’ll excuse me.

Yes. Absolutely. No disagreement there whatsoever.

I guess it’s the painter’s anger? I’m not sure, but I sense this… strong frustration from it. To think such a cheerful and gentlemanly person could make such a piece…

…… Sorry, that piece is trash. Just absolute garbage. I’m glad my name isn’t on it, hehe…

Something wrong?
Don’t mind me. There are better pieces than… this one. Come now, this way!

…But thanks to that, I remember now. It’s about a post online.

Ryuji, I’m sure the people making fun of you on Twitter are big poopheads or whatever. You can’t keep coming to me every time you get dunked on.

Music: Disquiet

Not that! Here, take a look at this.

Thanks for ditching me, guys!
It’s not like that! We had to bail from all the people crushing us in there! Whatever, it doesn’t matter. You should see this too.

This post might be about Madarame.
What’s it say?
“A master of the Japanese arts is plagiarizing his pupil’s work. Only his public face is shown on TV.”
Plagiarizing!?

I saw it a while back, but didn’t think twice about it until just now. The word “shack” from Madarame set off some alarm bells, I guess.
Why? Nothing in that post mentioned a shack.
Because… I dunno! Dude seemed sketchy talking up his oh-so-humble lifestyle. Made me wanna puke. So I thought back to this.

“He treats them inhumanely, as if disciplining a dog…”
Abuse on top of plagiarism, hm?
If this is real, it’ll be a huge scandal.

I wonder… could Kitagawa-kun have posted this?
It’s anonymous… so maybe.
Then the Madarame we heard about in Mementos might really be the same person.
This all seems so unbelievable… I wish we could ask that Shadow from earlier more about this.
Unfortunately, the Shadow is gone…
Yeah, and we can’t exactly go blabbin’ about Mementos to the real guy… Plus, Madarame could find out if we’re not careful. What about you, Maaku? Ain’t Madarame suspicious?
I haven’t trusted anyone older than me since I was six and my parents bought me a goldfish as a lesson about mortality. Goddamn adults hoarding their knowledge… Anyway, yes I agree.
Right? It can’t just be a coincidence. And if it’s legit, isn’t it exactly the kind of target we’ve been searchin’ for?
Well, sure, but… We don’t have enough information yet. It could be false for all we know.
Well, let’s find out. Did you decide about that modeling thing?
Kitagawa-kun gave me his contact info and the address to the atelier.
He lives there, right? Perfect. Let’s try goin’ there tomorrow after school and askin’ him about it.

Daytime → Evening

If it is, this might just be exactly what we needed!

(Male Host) Here’s what we’ve got for you today! First up, the Allergy Relief Pack! Great for anyone who’s sick of being sick! 2 Calming Mask and 20 Wide Eye Drops! These will be in one set! What a steal! But wait! There’s more! Next up. The Cosmetic Cure Gift! Great for anyone seeking peace of mind! 1 Aroma Machine and 1 Omni-Vitamin! These will both be in one set! What a steal!

The Cosmetic Cure Set is both overpriced and not very useful, so we go with the Allergy Relief Pack.

Let’s start reading The Alluring Dancer.

It wasn’t just her looks, but her way of life was also very beautiful…

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 12, 2021