Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Cheese Thief posted:

Also I am only cooking for myself, not others. And I don't particularly even care how food tastes as long as it fills me up and has good nutrients.

If that is the case, then I wonder why you want to cook this recipe.
It seems you would be better served by baking some chicken or fish, steaming a load of vegetables and making a side of carbs.
Not being mean here, but if you don’t have the ingredients, have no desire to source the ingredients and don’t care what food actually tastes like, you might as well take the easy path here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Helith posted:

If that is the case, then I wonder why you want to cook this recipe.
Helith, meet Cheese Thief. Cheese Thief, this is Helith.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah dude. No one knows why he posts here, he eats disgusting slop all the time, and he has no interest in actually learning how to cook. Just witness in silent admiration and don't waste your time trying to help.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

nah he's alright in my book, making progression and helping me remember what it's like to start out and accidentally break guidelines that in retrospect are not meant to be broken

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BrianBoitano posted:

making progression

not really

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I used to reply in earnest, now I make sure to check who is posting first.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't understand why he can't be confined to his thread, where people know what they're getting into and can make an informed decision about whether to effortpost. I thought that was the whole reason he was told to make his own thread.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you don't care about the food you make why would you post in a "caring about food you make " venue?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

when one steps into the sp00n zone, the sp00n zone can follow you. simple stuff imo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Does soaking beef liver in milk actually take the edge off of the strong beef liver flavour? I'm making pate and I just want to dial that note back like 25%.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've heard that a lot on milk street radio and also Cooking Issues. Those being very different sources, I'd trust it!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Does soaking beef liver in milk actually take the edge off of the strong beef liver flavour? I'm making pate and I just want to dial that note back like 25%.

Yes then you reduce the milk and make a roux and that becomes your gravy for liver superusers.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CommonShore posted:

Water will do the job just as well, there is no need to waste milk

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Water will do the job just as well, there is no need to waste milk

Look out! He’s secretly trying to make you keep
kosher!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
What was the name of the pre whirled peas regular who used to melt the gently caress down whenever anybody talked about this?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

What was the name of the pre whirled peas regular who used to melt the gently caress down whenever anybody talked about this?

I love that if we weren’t talking about milk and liver, this could apply to almost any poster about their specific subject.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've never made fresh pasta before today. I followed a recipe which said to "add one tablespoon of water at a time while combining mixture, until desired consistency is achieved (moderately stiff dough)". I made a moderately stiff dough, rolled it out into fettucine-like noodles, and put it in saran wrap in the fridge for a few hours. Not tightly wrapped, but not loosely. When I took it out, it had compressed into a hockey puck. I suspect this is a combination of recipe, inexperience, and poor storage technique.

Ideally, I would like to make a large quantity of fresh pasta and portion it out and freeze it. What's the right way to do it?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Happiness Commando posted:

I've never made fresh pasta before today. I followed a recipe which said to "add one tablespoon of water at a time while combining mixture, until desired consistency is achieved (moderately stiff dough)". I made a moderately stiff dough, rolled it out into fettucine-like noodles, and put it in saran wrap in the fridge for a few hours. Not tightly wrapped, but not loosely. When I took it out, it had compressed into a hockey puck. I suspect this is a combination of recipe, inexperience, and poor storage technique.

Ideally, I would like to make a large quantity of fresh pasta and portion it out and freeze it. What's the right way to do it?

I've only made fresh pasta a few times but something that struck me is that you rolled and cut the dough before resting it.
Usually you make the dough and rest it wrapped in the fridge first before you roll it out.
Also you may not have kneaded it for long enough, you really have to work the gluten and knead the dough until it's smooth and silky and stretches without any tearing

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Happiness Commando posted:

the cool thing is that your hockey puck could just be rolled out and cut again.

My method for making home-made pasta is

3:2 flour to egg by weight, extra yolks if i have em
throw that into the robo coupe
dump that onto the counter, knead it up until it's all one ball
throw that into the fridge for a while
roll it through the pasta machine on 0, refolding it and rotating it, until it has the right texture (about 5-6 times)
roll it thin and cut it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Helith posted:

I've only made fresh pasta a few times but something that struck me is that you rolled and cut the dough before resting it.

No, I did rest it, and the gluten was reasonably developed, I just didnt think it was a relevant part of the story. I was asking specifically about storage techniques after it was cut. Maybe I just need to dust it with way more flour than I did.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 17, 2021

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

To freeze portions of pasta use more flour like you said and make them into loose birds nest looking things by portion and put on a sheet pan in the freezer on some parchment or whatever.
When frozen solid then you can bag them up for longer term storage.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can also dry it on those drying racks made for the purpose, or on hangers or whatever you've got

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Our food processor broke and now I'm in the market for a new one, does anyone have any that they absolutely love? I honestly don't even know what I should be looking for except that I want a top loader and I'd prefer it be under like $120.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

CommonShore posted:

roll it through the pasta machine on 0, refolding it and rotating it, until it has the right texture (about 5-6 times)
roll it thin and cut it.

This is correct. I just use a regular food processor because I’m never buying a robot coupe.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Vargo posted:

Our food processor broke and now I'm in the market for a new one, does anyone have any that they absolutely love? I honestly don't even know what I should be looking for except that I want a top loader and I'd prefer it be under like $120.

Cuisinart have good torque. I've never had their high end models though and always manage to break the plastic hardware (tabs, safety locks etc). Worth getting a heavy duty one.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vargo posted:

We got a Magimix as a wedding present 13 years ago and it’s really excellent. I’ve replaced the main bowl once (not expensive). My mother still uses hers regularly; it was a wedding present from 1967.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. My family magimix dates from the 70s and is still trucking along.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Greetings nerds. I'm fulfilling a :toxx: I made in one of the trans threads (that no mod actually called me on that I'm aware of so idk if it even counted) of getting my name change legal stuff done this year. It owns. Time consuming, but I'm hella excited. Ya girl gonna get the legal F on her license and birth certificate. Hell yeah.
(Also uhh I set up a gofundme to help pay for that and other related costs. Being a girl ain't cheap, lol. I don't wanna post it publicly here because of the whole, potential stalkers that still lurk SA. But if you're interested in tossing a few coin at me, DM me.)

I miss Happy Hat. I hope he and his kids are doing ok out there.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

TIL the English language cooking instructions on packets of rice noodles are lies.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

CommonShore posted:

roll it thin and cut it.

Re: pasta chat. I am very torn between getting a small game vest for hunting this year or the kitchen aid pasta extruded so I can have shapes in addition to my regular pasta styles. anybody have experience with the device (pasta machine not vest)?

E: I’m also very much interested in using it for non-egg pasta, including gluten-free. Does the machine have enough pressure to extrude semolina/gf mix or do we have to go with the big hog machines I used to cop some from in restaurants?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The pasta extruder is a pain in the rear end. It feeds super slowly and you gotta stop and let it cool down quite often otherwise the dough gets all gummy and stuck in the screw. It was fine as a present, but I would never drop the cash on this.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mine was a pain, your dough has to be perfect as well as what the above poster said. If you're a hunter its not a safe attachment because you'll shoot yourself to end the frustration.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Cheese Thief posted:

i used to save all my bones in a ziplock in the freezer and when the bag was full id let it sit in the crockpot for a few days then strain. Those were fun times

I know this post is from over a month ago but I just wanted to say I started doing this recently and now I mourn all the bones I've wasted over the years by throwing out. I also save scrap veggies for the same purpose. So, ends of asparagus spears, bits of broccoli, eggplant, peppers, celery and such.

I had a weird aversion to soup for a long time and so didn't start making it until last year. It's mostly that I'm not huge on thin broths for some reason. I don't know why.

BrianBoitano posted:

A gallon freezer bag o bones makes two quarts of stock for us hth

This is really helpful and explains why my broth is ridiculously thick. Same amount of bones but I simmer it until it's about a quart! I kind of like it that way but my wife says she'd rather I thin it out next time. She's been patient so far since it was a relatively new thing for me but it's probably about time to find a happy medium. :v:

Edit: Cool, thought I was on the last page not the 2nd, so I probably seem even dumber than normal. :derp:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Quiet Feet posted:

This is really helpful and explains why my broth is ridiculously thick. Same amount of bones but I simmer it until it's about a quart! I kind of like it that way but my wife says she'd rather I thin it out next time. She's been patient so far since it was a relatively new thing for me but it's probably about time to find a happy medium. :v:

Edit: Cool, thought I was on the last page not the 2nd, so I probably seem even dumber than normal. :derp:

Thread necromancy's younger brother, page necromancy. Nice!

Yeah, one time I did two bags of bones and it was dummy thicc even at 2 quarts

https://i.imgur.com/Fls08Vx.gifv

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Quiet Feet posted:

I also save scrap veggies for the same purpose. So, ends of asparagus spears, bits of broccoli, eggplant, peppers, celery and such.

I have always been under the impression that there are some vegetables that you shouldn’t use for stock, because of sulphurous compounds ruining your stock, and asparagus and broccoli are two of the main offenders. Have I been misinformed?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Manuel Calavera posted:

Greetings nerds. I'm fulfilling a :toxx: I made in one of the trans threads (that no mod actually called me on that I'm aware of so idk if it even counted) of getting my name change legal stuff done this year. It owns. Time consuming, but I'm hella excited. Ya girl gonna get the legal F on her license and birth certificate. Hell yeah.
(Also uhh I set up a gofundme to help pay for that and other related costs. Being a girl ain't cheap, lol. I don't wanna post it publicly here because of the whole, potential stalkers that still lurk SA. But if you're interested in tossing a few coin at me, DM me.)

I miss Happy Hat. I hope he and his kids are doing ok out there.

:hellyeah: Here's hoping your workplace is being good about it!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

BrianBoitano posted:

Thread necromancy's younger brother, page necromancy. Nice!

Yeah, one time I did two bags of bones and it was dummy thicc even at 2 quarts

https://i.imgur.com/Fls08Vx.gifv

Yeah that's pretty much what it looks like. My last batch might never leave the jar.

Scientastic posted:

I have always been under the impression that there are some vegetables that you shouldn’t use for stock, because of sulphurous compounds ruining your stock, and asparagus and broccoli are two of the main offenders. Have I been misinformed?

Like I said, I'm new to making soup and I'd never heard that so I have no idea. The last couple of pots have seemed fine though.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I made that fish finger bhorta last night and holy poo poo it was delicious. Thank you to whoever recommended it!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I taught my beloved the dark art of stock making years ago, and one time she added a whole mess of Brussels and we termed the resulting broth “fart juice”, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I have never tested any extruder (just rollers) but conventional wisdom that I have heard from others with experience is that if you spend less than about 2k on an extruder you're wasting money buying frustration.

Edit: sorta like I'll never buy a meat grinder that's at least .5 HP and all steel