Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It might be kiwi slang, its the female equivalent of a hard-on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Libluini posted:

Hey, this is great. Luckily I already read the entire series (two times, the first half a dozen novels even 3-4 times by now) so I just started to pile in, her sense of humor and her comments are great.

hey wait a minute, this is sucking down hours of my life, that's not great at all ahhh I'm getting addicted to this blogger

The best part so far (I'm not reading ahead of my audio re-read) was when she finally got the Asmodean POV she'd been demanding.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It might be kiwi slang, its the female equivalent of a hard-on

:dafuq:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:dafuq:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
https://twitter.com/WOTonPrime/status/1350140700105400321?s=20

concept art

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tinker camp spotted!

In order:

The boys on their way to Caemlyn?
Winternight
Tinker camp
????
Shadar Logoth

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 16, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The ???? Would fit them crossing one of the bridges to leave Emond's Field.

Or, they're going ultra low budget and it's Whitebridge

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

A stedding maybe. The stone makes me wonder.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Anias posted:

A stedding maybe. The stone makes me wonder.

They are combining some of it, maybe it's a Portal stone. They might not use it but running across one early wouldn't be crazy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The ???? Would fit them crossing one of the bridges to leave Emond's Field.

Or, they're going ultra low budget and it's Whitebridge

I think the first one is Whitebridge.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I think the first one is Whitebridge.

I think it's probably a composite village for Whitebridge, Four Kings, and Breen's Spring, putting all the "Darkfriends/Shades go after Mat and Rand" scenes into one big event, probably introducing Thom as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Whitebridge would be too easy to do with CGI and too cool a concept to skip, it's just a really cinematic image that wouldn't even be that expensive since it's static. Hell, you wouldn't even need CGI, just like a green screen and a matte painting.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Whitebridge would be too easy to do with CGI and too cool a concept to skip, it's just a really cinematic image that wouldn't even be that expensive since it's static. Hell, you wouldn't even need CGI, just like a green screen and a matte painting.

Yeah I agree with this. Whitebridge is dead simple, gives a lot of wow factor to transition to a bigger city, and lets you keep your next scene cut in close in generic inn set of some sort. Easy win for the budget.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Anias posted:

Yeah I agree with this. Whitebridge is dead simple, gives a lot of wow factor to transition to a bigger city, and lets you keep your next scene cut in close in generic inn set of some sort. Easy win for the budget.
And it also sets the stakes for Tar Valon's architectural hold-my-beer, which is pretty cool imo.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

This is delightful and I can't stop reading.

(Up to Lord of Chaos!)

She's just so excited about The Wheel of Time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Vavrek posted:

(Up to Lord of Chaos!)

Yeah it really is probably my favorite commentary-on-something-I-love that I've ever seen.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I'm seconding that. Despite her enormous wide-on for him, she's spot on about Lan and how well Jordan turned him from I AM VENGEANCE INCARNATE into an actual fleshed-out character, and a lot of that comes through in his early interactions with Rand. Him laughing his rear end off at Rand running through Fal Dara with his sword drawn is fantastic and man, I really wish I could experience this series again for the first time.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
by god they'd better keep the bit about Lan teaching Rand all the borderlander customs for when he goes before the Amyrlin Seat

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I'm quoting this so I can find it later, but I'm only a few chapters into this and I love it so far.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Yeah I just finished her take on EotW and am enjoying it.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I'm rereading the whole series so I can try to finish the Sanderson books. It's been a few months since I read book 5, a couple book 6 questions--why are Rand and Aviendha avoiding each other? and where does it explain the aiel headband thing? I remember thinking the headband aiel were shaido or bleakness Aiel but I really don't recall. lord of chaos is a really great book!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I'm rereading the whole series so I can try to finish the Sanderson books. It's been a few months since I read book 5, a couple book 6 questions--why are Rand and Aviendha avoiding each other? and where does it explain the aiel headband thing? I remember thinking the headband aiel were shaido or bleakness Aiel but I really don't recall. lord of chaos is a really great book!

awkwardness after banging since she thinks he's promised to Elayne, and I don't remember where the headband explanation comes up but it was specifically those who consider themselves sworn to the Dragon

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Aviendha swore to keep an eye on Rand for her near-sister Elayne. She betrayed that oath and now owes Elayne toh.

The Aiel headband thing is kind of weirdly explained. The Aiel agreed to follow the chief-of-chiefs, He Who Comes With the Dawn, so they are only aligned with the car'a'carn out of a sense of Aiel duty and responsibility. The siswai'aman, The Spears Owned by the Dragon, additionally believe that they are weapons owned by Rand al'Thor the Dragon Reborn.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

and given how weird they are in general about most everything, even declaring such a thing can be seen as something brazen and is probably part of why they all collectively pretend it's not a thing even if literally anyone can see it with their own eyes

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Vavrek posted:

(Up to Lord of Chaos!)

She hasn't posted an update in 5 months? I need closure!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

th3t00t posted:

She hasn't posted an update in 5 months? I need closure!

Oh don't tell me that! I just got through her reading the Rhuidean chapters and was looking forward to get take on some of the later books.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Soysaucebeast posted:

Oh don't tell me that! I just got through her reading the Rhuidean chapters and was looking forward to get take on some of the later books.

She stalled out a little into Towers of Midnight so you get her take on all of Jordan's stuff, at least.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That was such a bummer to me, because I really was looking forward to her take on the post Dragonmount revelation Rand scenes. So many of them are just so incredibly good and that's one of the things I most appreciated on my recent re-read that I hadn't really remembered since the last time I actually read the series. (I think I like many folks re-read the whole series when new books came out every couple years, meaning that we've all read like... 1-9, ish, lots, but the ending books far fewer times).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Aviendha swore to keep an eye on Rand for her near-sister Elayne. She betrayed that oath and now owes Elayne toh.

The Aiel headband thing is kind of weirdly explained. The Aiel agreed to follow the chief-of-chiefs, He Who Comes With the Dawn, so they are only aligned with the car'a'carn out of a sense of Aiel duty and responsibility. The siswai'aman, The Spears Owned by the Dragon, additionally believe that they are weapons owned by Rand al'Thor the Dragon Reborn.

I think the belief of the siswai'aman is that the Aiel failed the Aes Sedai so badly in the Age of Legends that they can only satisfy their toh by dedicating themselves into the service to the Dragon Reborn, since he's the reincarnation of Lews Therin.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
She’s still posting; just not on the wot stuff - she insists she’s going to finish but she’s been super busy with work over the past 6 months.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I just started reading her blogs as well, and poo poo they're super compelling! I imagine that when the series is closer to release she may find the time to finish her read-through.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just saw her pointing this out in one of her posts, there's a king-killing bard who has a girlfriend named Dena! I can't believe Rothfuss stole Thom's identity and used it to make loving Kvothe!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Khizan posted:

I think the belief of the siswai'aman is that the Aiel failed the Aes Sedai so badly in the Age of Legends that they can only satisfy their toh by dedicating themselves into the service to the Dragon Reborn, since he's the reincarnation of Lews Therin.

IIRC this belief is so prevalent that a couple of the Aiel chiefs wear the headband.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

N’thing that this blog is super compelling. It’s also made me realize I need to be better about more thoughtful reading - she’s called a bunch of plot points very early on that I missed while skimming.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
edit: nevermind, found it

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

New Spring, Ch. 18: A Narrow Passage posted:

[Moiraine's] father used to say that once was happenstance, twice might be coincidence, but thrice or more indicated the actions of your enemies. He said he had read it somewhere.

Goldfinger, Ch. 14: Things That Go Thump In The Night posted:

[Goldfinger] said, “Mr. Bond, they have a saying in Chicago: ‘Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it’s enemy action.’ Miami, Sandwich and now Geneva. I propose to wring the truth out of you.”
Confirmed: Dalresin Damodred read James Bond novels.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's why Moiraine saw through Thom. Her dad is James Bond.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's why Moiraine saw through Thom. Her dad is James Bond.

Definitely not book James Bond, that's for sure.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Maybe this is too dark to speculate on, but I can't help but wonder if RJ's health pushed him to be a more focused writer in an attempt to finish, because holy poo poo is Knife of Dreams a revelation. Not only is the book less meandering, but the action scenes are tense and taut. It's like reading book 3 all over.

The early sequence of Mat defending Tuon against random street attackers was absolutely blistering. I was blown away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thom's very brief exchange with Selucia is one of my favorite little conversations.