Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tbf Lawler would have been a middle aged man during the peak of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
If PUPPIES didn't get you hot then I'm sure HLA JR HLA would've done the trick.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
2008 is a great rumble. But the two shots of Makers Mark in a row made my fiancé be sick on the living room floor.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Nothing Lawler did would make anybody hot but he was thinking what you were thinking so you didn't think there was a problem.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I’ve got archives but I’m not sure how to search properly on phone. Would someone be so kind to share the Raw thread when Punk did the pipe bomb promo in Vegas, summer 2011?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

britishbornandbread posted:

I’ve got archives but I’m not sure how to search properly on phone. Would someone be so kind to share the Raw thread when Punk did the pipe bomb promo in Vegas, summer 2011?

Starts on this page https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3421719&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=35

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lawler would get a few good gems in every so often but at time same time he would never ever shut the hell up. So you're bound to get a few good ones in with that volume.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

collocation posted:

Someone suggested that I put sexism in my random bigotry thread, and I was like, I'm sorry, but I only have two hands to give carpal tunnel.
There’s only so much poop you can touch, friend

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Thank you for this. Love the enthusiasm on display. Lots of avatars of people I recognise but no longer posting here, which is sad.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Any interesting stories of one guy just flat out refusing to take another guy's move?

Bonus points if this decision is made during the match itself, with very short notice.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 17, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tyma posted:

Any interesting stories of one guy just flat out refusing to take another guy's move?

Bonus points if this decision is made during the match itself, with very short notice.

Austin told Owen Hart in no uncertain terms that he (Owen) was not supposed to give him a sitout tombstone piledriver, because Austin didn't trust him to get enough elevation.

And, then, well, y'know...

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

According to Austin’s book, they came up with the tilt-a-whirl into a tombstone. Austin told him he didn’t trust just anyone to give him a piledriver, but trusted Owen, and he asked Owen if he was gonna drop to his knees. Owen told him, “no, I’m going to drop to my rear end.”
“Well, you need to go to your knees, right?”
“No, I drop to my rear end.”

So Austin figured he was just ribbing him and figured he knew what he was doing and that nobody really drops to their rear end on a tombstone.

Anyway, so the match happens, they get to the piledriver spot, and Owen does exactly what he told Austin he’d do: dropped to his rear end. Austin knew he was hosed immediately, Earl checked on him and Austin told him “don’t loving touch me, I can’t move.” Earl relayed this to Owen, went back to Austin, Austin asked him to tell Owen to stall.

So Owen walks around the ring, yelling “now he’s gonna have to kiss my rear end!” because that was the stip if Austin lost, and had to kill about ninety seconds before Austin got some sensation in his hands again - no fine motor control, but he could tell they existed, and his deltoids were in burning pain. So, crawling onto his elbows, he got Earl to relay a roll-up to Owen, who gamely managed to work himself backwards enough for Austin to limply let him trip over him and cover him.

Then Owen did a kickout to not look like a complete geek and the shift of body weight when he did that sent a wave of pain over Austin, and blind luck kept the sudden movement from worsening the injury.

He gets backstage, shaken up and rubber-legged. He went to the hospital on a stretcher, but got released the same day with a neck brace and sent back to the hotel where he managed to fall asleep for the night. He then drove to Bethlehem to do a promo on RAW.

The day after that, he went home and got checked by several doctors, who basically told him “leave wrestling”, but was told that a surgery could make him live a life without having issues with his extremities for the rest of his life and potentially get him back to an approximation of his old self.

He basically did rehab until he hit the bare minimum threshold to be cleared to work, and came back for Survivor Series because he knew he was on the run of his career (little did he know it would be to the level of the biggest star in wrestling history to that point). He didn’t get the surgery to correct the compression his spine had gone through until late 1999, when he was written off with the getting hit by a car angle. For that giant period of his world title run, he was working with a compressed spine and in constant pain, which is insane.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Nothing Lawler did would make anybody hot but he was thinking what you were thinking so you didn't think there was a problem.

You keep saying "you" and I can assure you I never liked Lawler or thought his perv schtick was OK or "was thinking what he was thinking". I hate it more now than I did back then, but do not underestimate how much I despised it then.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Cameo posted:

He basically did rehab until he hit the bare minimum threshold to be cleared to work, and came back for Survivor Series because he knew he was on the run of his career (little did he know it would be to the level of the biggest star in wrestling history to that point). He didn’t get the surgery to correct the compression his spine had gone through until late 1999, when he was written off with the getting hit by a car angle. For that giant period of his world title run, he was working with a compressed spine and in constant pain, which is insane.

Wow. I knew all that on some level, but reading that really reminds me of Paul Orndorff not taking time off to take care of his arm. The money with his run with Hogan was just... ridiculous.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Austin was so much better in the ring in late 96-97 before the injury, and then again in the 2001 heel run after the surgery and rehab. The stuff Austin was doing with Benoit/Jericho/Angle in 2001 is on another planet from his 98-99 stuff. (Obviously working with those guys instead of Kane/Undertaker and whatever stoogery Vince threw at him helped.)

Austin with all his physical issues during his peak face run could really only brawl and punch and stomp and the occasional Thesz press. But the thing is, that style worked perfectly for the character he was portraying. Weird how it worked out like that, the poor guy.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

rujasu posted:

You keep saying "you" and I can assure you I never liked Lawler or thought his perv schtick was OK or "was thinking what he was thinking". I hate it more now than I did back then, but do not underestimate how much I despised it then.

I guess I could use the collective 'we'. I mean a lot of people consider JR/Lawler the best commentary duo of all time and I doubt many of them think 'wow Jerry's poo poo'
(The collective 'we' does not have to apply to you. My apologies).

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
On that note, I wonder what everyone's favourite commentary team across any wrestling promotion is. I have a fondness for JR and Heyman: it lasted less than a year and Heyman was occasionally sleazy in the manner of Jerry Lawler, but most of the time they combined good play-by-play with legitimately insightful colour analysis, and they could be funny too. They seemed to really enjoy working together.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

Austin was so much better in the ring in late 96-97 before the injury, and then again in the 2001 heel run after the surgery and rehab. The stuff Austin was doing with Benoit/Jericho/Angle in 2001 is on another planet from his 98-99 stuff. (Obviously working with those guys instead of Kane/Undertaker and whatever stoogery Vince threw at him helped.)

Austin with all his physical issues during his peak face run could really only brawl and punch and stomp and the occasional Thesz press. But the thing is, that style worked perfectly for the character he was portraying. Weird how it worked out like that, the poor guy.

When you think of the list of challengers during his ‘98-‘99 title runs, you do end up noticing they’re all guys who could either take the lion’s share of bumps, like Foley, or guys who could go over the top with theatrics and distract from no one taking a lot of big bumps, like Taker and Kane and The Rock, and he did a lot of gimmick matches like cage matches and two different First Blood matches (KOTR ‘98 and Fully Loaded ‘99) in the time frame. They yanked every trick out of the book to keep him from breaking while Austin 3:16 shirts were machine-gunning out of every merch booth and warehouse they were in.

It is crazy to think that one of the most pivotal Wrestlemanias they ever had - XIV, which Nash correctly has pointed out was laid out as a “trailer” for the product to show a bunch of lapsed/new eyes tuning in thanks to Tyson, and was pulled off about as perfectly as possible - was headlined by two guys who were completely hosed physically.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

On that note, I wonder what everyone's favourite commentary team across any wrestling promotion is. I have a fondness for JR and Heyman: it lasted less than a year and Heyman was occasionally sleazy in the manner of Jerry Lawler, but most of the time they combined good play-by-play with legitimately insightful colour analysis, and they could be funny too. They seemed to really enjoy working together.

i think i preferred JR and Heyman, as short lived as it was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

That's honestly a really good pick. We don't have, I think, peak JR here but Heyman pushes him to be very close. Nostalgia choice is Gorilla/Bobby, of course.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Excalibur, Tony and whomever else they've had with them. Not even close. Not even a little bit. I didn't realize wrestling commentary could actually be good until Dynamite.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The Cameo posted:

It is crazy to think that one of the most pivotal Wrestlemanias they ever had - XIV, which Nash correctly has pointed out was laid out as a “trailer” for the product to show a bunch of lapsed/new eyes tuning in thanks to Tyson, and was pulled off about as perfectly as possible - was headlined by two guys who were completely hosed physically.

Match is mostly Austin and HBK walking around outside the ring and hitting each other, and the crowd's going apeshit anyway. It's amusing viewing in retrospect.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Excalibur, Tony and whomever else they've had with them. Not even close. Not even a little bit. I didn't realize wrestling commentary could actually be good until Dynamite.

Excalibur doing PWG commentary for like a decade and a half really helped him get all his bad habits out before going to TV.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So branching off of the best Royal Rumble conversation earlier, what are the best off-brand Royal Rumble matches?

Off the top of my head, Lucha Underground's Aztec Warfare II has to be up there.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's gotta be the second World War 3 from 1996. during the match i remember being scared of the nwo. i don't really remember much else but according to wikipedia, the storyline of the entire match and most important storyline of the show is commentator Lee Marshall getting kicked in the head for real and hollering, "what the heck" as a shoot

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Gavok posted:

So branching off of the best Royal Rumble conversation earlier, what are the best off-brand Royal Rumble matches?

Off the top of my head, Lucha Underground's Aztec Warfare II has to be up there.

I'm pretty sure I'd pick this, but I have such a huge soft spot for the MSG roh/njpw rumble. The ROH entrants all getting nothing from the crowd while the NJPW guys (fuckin all of them) got pops, capped off with the big pops for liger, haku, and keiji fuckin mutoh, makes me smile and laugh. It was mostly just a regular rumble, but I think it would be remembered better if an ROH guy didnt have to win (liger would have made such a sick random ROH title match).

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Procrastinator posted:

I'm pretty sure I'd pick this, but I have such a huge soft spot for the MSG roh/njpw rumble. The ROH entrants all getting nothing from the crowd while the NJPW guys (fuckin all of them) got pops, capped off with the big pops for liger, haku, and keiji fuckin mutoh, makes me smile and laugh. It was mostly just a regular rumble, but I think it would be remembered better if an ROH guy didnt have to win (liger would have made such a sick random ROH title match).

Is that on New Japan world?

I guess I could just look

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

This was a while back, but from that GDT during the pipebomb:

quote:

"I'm not on a crappy show on the USA network." *is on RAW*

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ARMBAR A COP posted:

youtube

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Procrastinator posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. The clothesline train spot was fantastic.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

ARMBAR A COP posted:

It's on youtube for free. The only downside is they edited off Kaze Ni Nare when Suzuki comes out and replaced it with some crap. It does make it absolutely hilarious though, because at some point you just hear over 10,000 people shout Kaze Ni Nare at the top of their lungs (I was one of them, it was great).

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Needless to say, we will never see a promo like this in WWE again, and I can't think of a single person in AEW right now who is disgruntled enough* to cut a promo like this.

* - Comedy answer: Shawn Spears

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Needless to say, we will never see a promo like this in WWE again, and I can't think of a single person in AEW right now who is disgruntled enough* to cut a promo like this.

* - Comedy answer: Shawn Spears

What are you talking about? It's even easier to greet Colt Cabana in AEW.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
AEW is also unlikely to want to let one of its wrestlers paint the company as being poorly run or filled with the bullshit that made the Punk promo hit as hard.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Gavok posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. The clothesline train spot was fantastic.

the mutoh entrance reaction is an all timer to me. it's great how you can visible hear that it's not a "yay!" pop, it's a "what the gently caress???" pop

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

karmicknight posted:

AEW is also unlikely to want to let one of its wrestlers paint the company as being poorly run or filled with the bullshit that made the Punk promo hit as hard.
That's because such a promo would be a blatant lie since by all accounts AEW has been a well-run company that fosters a healthy work environment. WWE greenlit that promo because they were well aware of how toxic they were even almost a decade ago.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 18, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nick Jr. Face posted:

. WWE greenlit that promo because they were well aware of how toxic they were even almost a decade ago.

TIME HAS NO MEANING

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

That's because such a promo would be a blatant lie since by all accounts AEW has been a well-run company that fosters a healthy work environment. WWE greenlit that promo because they were well aware of how toxic they were even almost a decade ago.

How toxic other, wrong minded enemies of Sports Entertainment THINK they are!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I've been trying to put together an efforpost reaction to this point, but MRT's post really succinctly sums up part of what made the promo sing, which was that it was presented as being

MassRafTer posted:

How toxic other, wrong minded enemies of Sports Entertainment THINK they are!

Which is how it got allowed. Because otherwise its an incredibly dumb thing to put on your television. You don't want your fans thinking about the bad and dumb things you have done as a company, because then they are encouraged to confront those things and a non-zero number of fans will decide, when faced with facing the company has legitimate problems, will abandon ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ChrisBTY posted:

Honestly it's this for me. Tony's sheer joy at seeing modern wrestling after almost two decades out of the business is infectious as gently caress, and Excalibur gives him someone good to play off of. JR is usually whatever, but he still has his moments where he adds to the table and it would be weaker overall without him.