Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

One of the RotS novels more amusing adaptations is removing the Battle of Kashyyyk since it has nothing to do with Anakin's story

Obi-Wan and Yoda Metal Gearing their way through the Jedi Temple and scaring the crap out of the clones is great too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's actually that you can't be too obvious. By the end of the film, you've literally got Padme doing banter while blasting brown-skinned people with a laser rifle in the space-mideast. Like, literally joking that killing people is way better than boring diplomacy.

If that's not clear enough, that's not on the film.

Again, people got confused by Revenge Of The Sith when Anakin's shouting "I think that the Jedi do more harm than good!" and Obiwan's like "but I'm apolitical! I don't believe in anything!"

He believes in the Republic! In DEMOHCRACY!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Delightfully, he's pretty much quoting Palpatine there.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

josh04 posted:

Delightfully, he's pretty much quoting Palpatine there.

...dude I love these movies.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i would edit this into my previous post but since it's at the bottom of the page i'll just put it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esf59wk1yFQ

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Matthew stover was way too good for the licensed fiction circuit in general. Love that guy to bits, I hope he's doing well

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Matthew stover was way too good for the licensed fiction circuit in general. Love that guy to bits, I hope he's doing well

I only ever read Traitor by him, and even though it contained zero characters from the films was one of the mots NJO-y of the NJO novels it was great

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I ended up donating all the star wars books from my broke brained teen days except my beat up af copy of traitor :shobon:

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
From memory The Revenge of the Sith novelization came out before the film was released too, at least by a week or so.

I remember this because I read a good chunk of it ahead of time then stopped to not spoil the film for myself. I also remember being bummed out at the films depictions of the stuff I already read.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I did like the novel's Dooku fight a lot more

quote:

Now, as for Skywalker—

Which was as far as Dooku got, because by the time his attention returned to the younger Jedi, his vision was rather completely obstructed by the sole of a boot approaching his face with something resembling terminal velocity.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

quote:

Now, as for Skywalker—

Which was as far as Dooku got, because by the time his attention returned to the younger Jedi, his vision was rather completely obstructed by the sole of a boot approaching his face with something resembling terminal velocity.

:chloe:

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
The only thing I remember from that book is Anakin finding Kit Fisto's grinning decapitated head on Palpatine's desk

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

galagazombie posted:

I was watching the AotC deleted scenes and wow they basically cut Padme's entire plotline. And it's got some juicy stuff too. She gives this whole speech in the Senate where she points out that authorizing an army and attacking the Separatists with it (looking at you here Yoda) will force the Separatists to retaliate in self-defense. Then she talks about how a war will just give the Republic an excuse to become a police state and take away everyones rights.

I'd like to see a fan edit of RotS with all this put back in, which stands in contrast how every other movie that has a fan edit or I wish had one do it to take the worst scenes out

edit 1: https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith-extended-edition-2/ or https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-revenge-of-the-sith-expanded-edition/

I'll probably go with the latter

edit 2: This guy is awesome https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsCantina/comments/h0jsyz/ive_made_and_released_4k_and_1080p_extended_cuts/

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 17, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
When's the Attack of the Clones: Special Edition cut?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Vinylshadow posted:

I did like the novel's Dooku fight a lot more

there are good parts of the book, but that 'lmao XD' line is not one of them

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the best part of that post is that the dooku fight actually does have some really good lines, just...not that one.

in particular, i like the part where dooku accusing anakin of being overconfident and prideful get turned around on him, as he slowly realises that anakin and obi-wan baited him into thinking they hadn't learned anything at all and were fighting the same way they had at the end of Attack of the Clones, which then mirrors how palpatine baited him into thinking that he wasn't a totally expendable pawn that he would kill off in order to get closer to anakin.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

But what about the droid attack on the wookiees?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Just watched Rogue One again for the first time since the theatrical release. It’s SO much better than the other Disney ones! It actually looks and feels like a Star Wars movie. You can feel the awkwardness in the pacing and editing from the re-edit Disney did to it, though, especially in the first third or so, with Jyn’s backstory and the characters getting together.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The RotS novelization's best part is obviously when Anakin's using his murder of the Separatists as an excuse to work on his Vader brand of humor by doing cheap puns.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YaketySass posted:

The RotS novelization's best part is obviously when Anakin's using his murder of the Separatists as an excuse to work on his Vader brand of humor by doing cheap puns.

Still one of the best non-finale bits of Rogue One. I just love that Vader probably only spared Krennic because he's hilarious.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I rewatched the prequel trilogy yesterday and I can feel my midichlorians replicating. This morning confirmed that I have the power to will my spouse's COVID test to be negative.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You couldn't have learned a power like that from the original trilogy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still one of the best non-finale bits of Rogue One. I just love that Vader probably only spared Krennic because he's hilarious.

I really did love Krennic as this guy who absolutely no one except for Krennic himself takes seriously.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

nemesis_hub posted:

Just watched Rogue One again for the first time since the theatrical release. It’s SO much better than the other Disney ones! It actually looks and feels like a Star Wars movie. You can feel the awkwardness in the pacing and editing from the re-edit Disney did to it, though, especially in the first third or so, with Jyn’s backstory and the characters getting together.

Was there ever a write up on what got changed? I didn't notice when i saw it in the cinema, but did pick up on quite a few weird things (lines not matching lip movements was pretty common) on a rewatch at home.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rogue One is easily the best of the new movies. By a million miles.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Snowman_McK posted:

Was there ever a write up on what got changed? I didn't notice when i saw it in the cinema, but did pick up on quite a few weird things (lines not matching lip movements was pretty common) on a rewatch at home.
This covers some of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOyD0zHQFsU

The most noticeable thing is bald Forest Whitaker

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s aight. I just don’t feel much of anything while watching it. I like Krennic though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Neo Rasa posted:

I really did love Krennic as this guy who absolutely no one except for Krennic himself takes seriously.

One of the Thrawn books has him in conflict with Krennic over funds for the TIE Defender and Stardust projects and he's portrayed this way and it's great. The cape was his idea and one of his underlings wears one and it's even dumber.

Was neat how each part of the Thrawn trilogy tied quite closely to a piece of recent SW side media, Rebels, Clone Wars and Rogue One.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Eh. Jyn Erso is by far the worst lead character in the films. Utterly without charm or charisma.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jewmanji posted:

Eh. Jyn Erso is by far the worst lead character in the films. Utterly without charm or charisma.

I prefer her to Rey. Rey is just all over the place.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She’s pretty consistent until rise. She just wants to know who she is and find her family. That’s like her main thrust.

She finds it at the end of TLJ.

Rise is, idk.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I can’t find a definitive account of what happened, but if you google there is evidence of Tony Gilroy making some significant changes from Gareth Edwards’ final cut.

One thing that’s pretty noticeable is how disjointed the beginning of the movie is after the pre title sequence. We jump ahead to adult Jyn, she’s in prison, jump to Cassian, etc...there are a lot of awkward cuts in the lead up to getting the story to and away from Jedha.

Saw’s role is really strange if you think about it. He raised Jyn while being a key figure in the Rebellion, and somehow completely kept her away from it...and then abandoned her? And now they have essentially one conversation and he’s gone. We don’t have definitive proof, but it seems like what happened is that Jyn was originally part of the Rebellion from the beginning, and that part of the reshoots was making her more “innocent”.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I just remembered how the Sequel Trilogy made use of legendary actor Max Von Sydow and loled.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Vintersorg posted:

It's far from perfect but this is true

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

I prefer her to Rey. Rey is just all over the place.

Rey is not good either, and certainly over the course of the trilogy it just gets worse and worse, but Daisy Ridley has a level of innate charm that helps each individual scene work, even if in context in makes no sense.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

nemesis_hub posted:

Saw’s role is really strange if you think about it. He raised Jyn while being a key figure in the Rebellion, and somehow completely kept her away from it...and then abandoned her? And now they have essentially one conversation and he’s gone. We don’t have definitive proof, but it seems like what happened is that Jyn was originally part of the Rebellion from the beginning, and that part of the reshoots was making her more “innocent”.

Jyn was definitely still an extremist child soldier in the theatrical cut (Saw called her one of his best soldiers), but as you've noted the reasoning given by Saw is spurious - that he abandoned her because people were beginning to suspect her real identity.

Jewmanji posted:

Rey is not good either, and certainly over the course of the trilogy it just gets worse and worse, but Daisy Ridley has a level of innate charm that helps each individual scene work, even if in context in makes no sense.

Now that we've established that a 'good protagonist' can be measured directly by their charm levels, we should also ask: why is it bad that an abandoned former child soldier orphan isn't personable, and why is it a good thing that an abandoned orphan on the harsh world of Tatooine is so affable?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rogue One would've been great if Jyn had just said "Uh, did anybody order the huge laser? How about NO" right before she got vaporized.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A charismatic lead actor is very often a crutch for mediocre to bad blockbusters. That's practically their primary job. A mediocre to even bad actor can be forgivable in a good movie that gives them an interesting story.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jewmanji posted:

Cutting almost all of the original characterization for her of being raised to be a hardened terrorist from a child probably had something to do with that. I haven't seen the actress in anything else so IDK where she stands as far as acting ability overall.

Vintersorg posted:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Jyn being ‘uncharismatic’ owns.

She gives the speech to the libs and it just fuckin bombs, except with the one left-leaning minority dude.

Give her a gun and everyone’s scared because she’s an ex-con and doesn’t smile more.