Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
There has to be some inspiration for the Harmoniholics episode and I want to know it so loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

There has to be some inspiration for the Harmoniholics episode and I want to know it so loving bad.

That's definitely a thing. I think they just cut out the heavy church/religious aspect of those choirs to make it tv friendly.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

I’m pretty sure Hank Hill is autistic at this point.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

You don’t freak the monkey, you freak doctor quarters!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I always remembered it as him saying "jackass". :psyduck:

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Who What Now posted:

I always remembered it as him saying "jackass". :psyduck:

you might be conflating it with this line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ivaEcUjfw

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It was inspired by the Dallas based men's choral group The Vocal Majority.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cotton complaining about Peggy’s lasagna being cold and immediately throwing it on the floor.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
In the last day I've totally randomly caught It Ain't Easy Being Green (Boomhauer's car in the quarry), Re-edumacating Lucky (Peggy makes Lucky fail his GED) and Unfortunate Son (Hank gets his Dad mixed up with a bunch of Vietnam Vets with PTSD).

Not a great run of episodes.

I know they play poo poo up for laughs on the show, but Unfortunate Son has a real nasty undercurrent towards the Vietnam guys and the therapist trying to help them.

It also has an amazing visual gag of Hank speaking to Peggy's veteran gynecologist and trying to avoid looking at an anatomical model of a vagina and ovaries the whole time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i dunno i got a different read from it. their therapy actually IS working and it's what they need as individuals, it's just that through the lens of hank and cotton it looks like a joke. like the whole "moral" of the episode, if king of the hill can be considered to be a moralistic play, is that the vietnam vets are downtrodden and cast out by their own generation, and they only ever wanted to be accepted. and by the end that's what they get!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Yeah ok I get what you're saying about it being cast through Hank and Cotton's eyes. I can see that. I still feel like the therapist was a liberal strawman, but I guess that's just King of the Hill generally.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
More like Hank and Cotton are perfect representations of the types of people they are!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Many of the episodes don't age very well, which makes sense since I think Mike Judge ended up being a MAGA dork. I've been going over the later seasons and watching some episodes that I skipped over, and it's always obvious why I skipped them a decade ago. The Khan banana episode is 10x worse than Apu.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

xtal posted:

Many of the episodes don't age very well, which makes sense since I think Mike Judge ended up being a MAGA dork. I've been going over the later seasons and watching some episodes that I skipped over, and it's always obvious why I skipped them a decade ago. The Khan banana episode is 10x worse than Apu.

I'm posting this from my phone so I don't have sources at the moment but I'm fairly certain he is anti-trump.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Khan has been the center of a few pretty unfortunate episodes. I think the worst one was the final ep to air on Adult Swim, where they were loving with his meds and they lucked out and had the ep's problem solved by having him be manic at the right moment

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

towards the end the show seems to lose the plot. There are too many episodes where hank is "right" compared to his simple assumptions being shown wrong frequently in the earlier seasons.

For example I watched the bobby baseball one last night where hank thinks he's a bad father because he thinks Bobby is just inherently bad at baseball. They have an encouraging coach and Bobby starts to play better so hank starts being more involved with Bobby once he starts improving, but then Bobby starts a game and is playing terrible and his dad has to pull him out. The moral of the episode becomes "hank was right to doubt his sons ability" even though he actually was playing better earlier in the episode when the coach was giving him attention. it's pretty lame

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mike Judge is a centrist and/or anti establishment sort of guy and you can see the show try and pivot from being anti establishment at the silent majority of the 90s and Bush admin in the 00s to being anti establishment of the burgeoning blue wave of the mid to late 00s.

That's secondary to why late KotH sucks though. You can definitely tell they were into cutting room scraps mode typical of any long running tv show, but especially after blowing their remaining worthwhile wad on the seasons they thought they were being cancelled.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Another Bill posted:

In the last day I've totally randomly caught It Ain't Easy Being Green (Boomhauer's car in the quarry), Re-edumacating Lucky (Peggy makes Lucky fail his GED) and Unfortunate Son (Hank gets his Dad mixed up with a bunch of Vietnam Vets with PTSD).

I know they play poo poo up for laughs on the show, but Unfortunate Son has a real nasty undercurrent towards the Vietnam guys and the therapist trying to help them.

It also has an amazing visual gag of Hank speaking to Peggy's veteran gynecologist and trying to avoid looking at an anatomical model of a vagina and ovaries the whole time.

There's also a great bit when one of the WWII vets (Topsy?) makes fun of the vietnam vets

Topsy: Yeah ya sissy losers!
Therapist: You could use some therapy too, to clear up some of that anger.
Topsy: ...I haven't slept in 50 years. I'm so tired.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 14, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

...Topsy's dead!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PokeJoe posted:

towards the end the show seems to lose the plot. There are too many episodes where hank is "right" compared to his simple assumptions being shown wrong frequently in the earlier seasons.

For example I watched the bobby baseball one last night where hank thinks he's a bad father because he thinks Bobby is just inherently bad at baseball. They have an encouraging coach and Bobby starts to play better so hank starts being more involved with Bobby once he starts improving, but then Bobby starts a game and is playing terrible and his dad has to pull him out. The moral of the episode becomes "hank was right to doubt his sons ability" even though he actually was playing better earlier in the episode when the coach was giving him attention. it's pretty lame

Yeah those are good points. I just watched the Canadian ep from the final season and it was not good, felt like totally new writing staff from the golden years. Some quibbles:
-Kahn no longer antagonistic and instead just hangs out in Hank’s yard all day. He made reference to spending 2 extra years in the killing fields rather than immigrate to Canada. He’s Laotian not Cambodian, felt like lazy first draft joke.
-Hank mixes up Dallas Cowboy Super Bowls.
-the Canadians arrive in a four door car with no trailer, but a big part of the plot is his pride in a Canadian riding lawn mower. Who would bring a lawnmower to an Airbnb? Did he leave it when he left?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I thought a lot about what Hank would do in the 2016 election. I concluded that he would have written in “dignity,” even though writing-in candidates is for nut jobs and fools

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
wrong thread

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Governor George W Bush and Vice President Al Gore want you to focus on my hit and run conviction, and not my 16 point plan for America!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

I haven't watched it in a bit but the episode where Bobby starts worshipping Jesus with Pastor K stands out like this. Hank is all for Bobby being into church right up until it's a way Hank doesn't like even if it's the same morals. ''

It felt less to me like Hank was teaching his son about fads but conveniently using Bobby's fleeting interests against him. Not saying Hank is some puppet master, that's just how I felt in the moment.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Otoh the christian rock crowd sucks poo poo and hank was right to dunk on them

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Otoh the christian rock crowd sucks poo poo and hank was right to dunk on them

ALL rock is christian rock. The genre “Christian rock” is just some Michael Bolton rear end garbage. Oh yeah and rise against, they got kicked off the creed tourbus but they still found a way to make annoying garbage. :hmmyes:

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 15, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

I haven't watched it in a bit but the episode where Bobby starts worshipping Jesus with Pastor K stands out like this. Hank is all for Bobby being into church right up until it's a way Hank doesn't like even if it's the same morals. ''

It felt less to me like Hank was teaching his son about fads but conveniently using Bobby's fleeting interests against him. Not saying Hank is some puppet master, that's just how I felt in the moment.

I think a better worry for Hank for that episode would have been that Bobby wasn't into Christianity for the faith but because Pastor K and his youth group are all seem cool. With Bobby emulating them because he wants to be cool too and the religion being secondary.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
"Can't you see you're not making Christianity better, you're just making rock and roll worse?"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Another Bill posted:

I always hate that one because it compares some average WW2 vets with some severely traumatized Vietnam vets who are in group therapy. As if there aren't average happy Vietnam vets out there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MightyJoe36 posted:

"Can't you see you're not making Christianity better, you're just making rock and roll worse?"

This quote popped into my head the other day when I was waiting for a pizza at a local pizza chain and there was Christian Rock playing over the speakers.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I always hate that one because it compares some average WW2 vets with some severely traumatized Vietnam vets who are in group therapy. As if there aren't average happy Vietnam vets out there.

i think the gynecologist was supposed to be the representative of the the well-adjusted vietnam vet. episode definitely didn't handle the subject of vets of popular wars versus vets of unpopular wars very well.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

All KotH is good

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

sweet thursday posted:

All KotH is good

Not all of them. They can't kill a man. Then they'd go to prison

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

xtal posted:

Not all of them. They can't kill a man. Then they'd go to prison

I didn't drown that boy!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

*Bobby crying after having his heart broken*

Peggy, to her heartbroken son: I guess your love wasn’t as strong as your father’s and mine?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Every episode where Bobby has some sort of romantic trouble is gold.

"But why were you dancing with all those guys!?"

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
There's a tear in my beer...

Pamela truly deserved the Emmy just for the crying noises she made in that episode.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

*Bobby crying after having his heart broken*

Peggy, to her heartbroken son: I guess your love wasn’t as strong as your father’s and mine?

Bobby laying face down on the floor in his underwear.

Hank: Well, at least his taste in music had improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

PinheadSlim posted:

Every episode where Bobby has some sort of romantic trouble is gold.

"But why were you dancing with all those guys!?"

They are the most cringe, but in an empathetic way as we recall the follies of our youth.

They evoke strong emotions.