Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'm definitely feeling the complaint about introducing too many characters, and I guess the thought was that this is the "Episode I" of a new saga but they already have other books (comics, shows) planned so they could have taken it easy with that.
And again, they introduce this new enemy that will be gone in a short time (they don't pop up in the Prequel Era after all) and I don't get why they didn't set this further back, like 1200 years. Then it wouldn't contradict "the Sith have been gone for 1000 years" in Episode I and let the books be full of rad light saber fights. And we all know the Sith are gonna show up in this series eventually anyway let's be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Also, BOY does the author go out of his way to describe the lightsabers of these various Jedi in intricate detail.

It's like there was a checklist of "things Star Wars nerds like" and they just tried to fill in the blanks. And/or sell SaberForge products.

On the plus-side, it canonized different saber colors again afaik??? :toot: Golden-yellow and white are back on the menu. I know yellow had been canon from the Clone Wars series iirc, but only for very specific roles of Jedi.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Also, BOY does the author go out of his way to describe the lightsabers of these various Jedi in intricate detail.

It's like there was a checklist of "things Star Wars nerds like" and they just tried to fill in the blanks. And/or sell SaberForge products.

On the plus-side, it canonized different saber colors again afaik??? :toot: Golden-yellow and white are back on the menu. I know yellow had been canon from the Clone Wars series iirc, but only for very specific roles of Jedi.

I thought those colors were back in thanks to Rey/Temple Guardians and Ahsoka, respectively.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they wanted space Republicans they could have just used the Ripoblus from Tie Fighter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Drone posted:

Yep, basically.

lol. star wars has never been original, which is kinda some of its charm at times though to obvious detriments but lol if they can't make an interesting factions. i have seen star wars writers do sorta original concepts even if they are overated ( i am looking at you KOTOR 2) but this shits just loving lazy of the the lazy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Cool! Promo video from the official Star Wars channel for Vern. I think she'll also be a lead in a later YA book, so it looks like she'll be a main player for the line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWuQAYBp24

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

If they wanted space Republicans they could have just used the Ripoblus from Tie Fighter.

Bloodline already gave us Space Democrats and Space Republicans, they're just called Populists and Centrists.

That's how you know it was written before 2016, when all good liberals realized that centrists are good and populists are evil.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Well I finished Light of the Jedi. I do think it picked up towards the end but it's still like a solid 3/5 imo. Also I just really bounced off the author's style so I'm looking forward to future books written by other people. I don't often read middle grade but since the main character from Test of Courage popped up in Light of the Jedi I went ahead and put a hold on it too.

Here's something interesting though, the Wikipedia page for The High Republic says it's 800 years after the fall of the Old Republic. Is this mentioned in an actual SW novel or is this from a press release or what? Because that actually makes some things interesting, like if this Republic isn't that old it stands to reason why the Chancellor is trying to unite everyone. I had been considering the Republic as thousands of years old at this point but I guess it's not? Would love to see that explored. Also explains why there was an aside of Coruscant having once been the center of an empire - maybe between the Old Republic and the High Republic?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The amount of bending over backwards that Star Wars authors, both the old EU and new Disney stable, have gone through to justify a single throwaway line from Palpatine in Attack of the Clones is staggering.

I think the implication is that the Republic has gone through a long slump period and is now going through a bit of a cultural Renaissance (for reasons yet to be explored, aside from "charismatic and visionary chancellor") that gives way to a golden age. Before slumping again in the lead-up to the prequels.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Humerus posted:

Here's something interesting though, the Wikipedia page for The High Republic says it's 800 years after the fall of the Old Republic. Is this mentioned in an actual SW novel or is this from a press release or what? Because that actually makes some things interesting, like if this Republic isn't that old it stands to reason why the Chancellor is trying to unite everyone. I had been considering the Republic as thousands of years old at this point but I guess it's not? Would love to see that explored. Also explains why there was an aside of Coruscant having once been the center of an empire - maybe between the Old Republic and the High Republic?

If this was the old Legends continuity, I'd think this referred to the Rusaan Reformations, which used to be the explanation for the difference between Obi-Wan's line in the first movie about the Jedi being the guardians of the Republic for "a thousand generations" and Palpatine saying that the Republic has stood for"a thousand years". Different governmental structures, like how France went from the Fourth Republic to the Fifth Republic in 1958 when they changed how things were run.

So I bet it's something like that, but it hasn't been fleshed out yet.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 26, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think the Ruusan Reformation is still canonical. If not by name, then the fact there was a big war against the Sith leading to their "destruction" (but really Bane) a thousand years ago, the "Old" Republic was crippled, and then changed into the OT-era Republic by Valorum's ancestor. Luceno's Tarkin novel has a lot of that general backstory in it.

Speaking of, I was looking through my bookshelf the other day, and came across my old copy of the Phantom Menace novelization. I have a confession to make: I have a big soft spot for that book. I know everyone loves the ROTS novelization, but the TPM one will always have a spot in my heart. Lot of fond memories of avidly reading it before the movie itself came out, and loving that Coruscant was going to be in the movies. Not to mention it's one of those things where all my friends had a copy too, but I was the only one who had the one with Maul's face on the cover, which is still the best version.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I got the TPM novel at least a week before the movie opened (in New Zealand at least) and I remember being totally perplexed when the first scene wasn't Anakin podracing on Tatooine.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I think the Ruusan Reformation is still canonical. If not by name, then the fact there was a big war against the Sith leading to their "destruction" (but really Bane) a thousand years ago, the "Old" Republic was crippled, and then changed into the OT-era Republic by Valorum's ancestor. Luceno's Tarkin novel has a lot of that general backstory in it.

Speaking of, I was looking through my bookshelf the other day, and came across my old copy of the Phantom Menace novelization. I have a confession to make: I have a big soft spot for that book. I know everyone loves the ROTS novelization, but the TPM one will always have a spot in my heart. Lot of fond memories of avidly reading it before the movie itself came out, and loving that Coruscant was going to be in the movies. Not to mention it's one of those things where all my friends had a copy too, but I was the only one who had the one with Maul's face on the cover, which is still the best version.

i remember thinking that all of the gungans looked like boss nass, and that it was going to be really cool when they had their big fight against the droids

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

i personally sorta count everything before ruusan as canon, i mean they are still making updates for that mmo so gently caress it why not. i can see reavan and co and all that stupid insane poo poo it turned into thanks to kotor 2 partly as canon because its still super far back in time that it "doesnt really matter" least until that remake comes out or whatever they are doing with kotor now that disney got sick of EA loving around.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There actually have been a lot of references to KOTOR and The Old Republic in the new canon already, back from the very start of the reboot. Darth Bane's "Moraband" temple from the (original) ending of The Clone Wars was a direct use of the Sith Academy design from The Old Republic, for example. The TOR Jedi symbol has shown up a few times, too. And obviously Malachor has played a big role.

While not exactly the same I also liked the fact the krayt dragon episode of The Mandalorian was pretty clearly inspired by the krayt dragon side quest in KOTOR.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

There actually have been a lot of references to KOTOR and The Old Republic in the new canon already, back from the very start of the reboot. Darth Bane's "Moraband" temple from the (original) ending of The Clone Wars was a direct use of the Sith Academy design from The Old Republic, for example. The TOR Jedi symbol has shown up a few times, too. And obviously Malachor has played a big role.

While not exactly the same I also liked the fact the krayt dragon episode of The Mandalorian was pretty clearly inspired by the krayt dragon side quest in KOTOR.

reading wookipeida. thats just one type of krayt dragon so yeah pretty much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Theres lesser and greater Krayt Dragons and apparently the big one on Mando still has legs.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Chairman Capone posted:

iirc they even canonized the name "Korriban" as just an archaic, alternate name for Moraband.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like Dac and Mon Calamari and Mon Cala are all the same planet.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5phi7oXDms

First The High Republic Show episode. Really happy to see them leaning so far into the series through official channels.

I thought it was amazing to see a Vector Prime commercial on TV back in the day narrated by Mark Hamill. It's cool to see the literature side getting a big marketing push.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 27, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Life Day anthology book has been announced for this fall:

https://www.starwars.com/news/life-day-treasury-exclusive-reveal

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

hot take. Darksabers Durga the Hutt is basicaly trump in star wars. including the shoddy buildings and dumb rear end fascist poo poo

Sector Corrector
Nov 25, 2020

Just finished the extended universe + WATCHING the Mandalorian. One question. Who's Grand Admiral Thrawn?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Sector Corrector posted:

Just finished the extended universe + WATCHING the Mandalorian. One question. Who's Grand Admiral Thrawn?

Short answer: Watch "Star Wars: Rebels". He's essentially the main bad guy there.

Longer answer: He's the main antagonist of the first trilogy of books that was released in the early 1990s after a long drought of no Star Wars books. The trilogy was touted as an official sequel to the trilogy, which is why it is still so beloved by fans today. Thrawn is a military genius, imagine a sort of Alien Sherlock Holmes who uses his powers for evil. His fascination lies with other species' culture and art, from which he derives a lot of his deductions and predictions in military campaigns. Also, he is one of the few aliens who rose to any sort of rank in the human-centric Empire. All in all he's a pretty cool character, and a lot of old-school fans really like him, so it was kind of a big deal for fans to see him introduced in Rebels, and an even bigger deal to see him brought into the live-action universe via his mention by Ahsoka.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sector Corrector posted:

I bid you Dark Greetings.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dave Syndrome posted:

Short answer: Watch "Star Wars: Rebels". He's essentially the main bad guy there.

Longer answer: He's the main antagonist of the first trilogy of books that was released in the early 1990s after a long drought of no Star Wars books. The trilogy was touted as an official sequel to the trilogy, which is why it is still so beloved by fans today. Thrawn is a military genius, imagine a sort of Alien Sherlock Holmes who uses his powers for evil. His fascination lies with other species' culture and art, from which he derives a lot of his deductions and predictions in military campaigns. Also, he is one of the few aliens who rose to any sort of rank in the human-centric Empire. All in all he's a pretty cool character, and a lot of old-school fans really like him, so it was kind of a big deal for fans to see him introduced in Rebels, and an even bigger deal to see him brought into the live-action universe via his mention by Ahsoka.

Also he was a major character in the TIE Fighter PC game from '94 so even people that hadn't read the books may have learned about him there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Angry_Ed posted:

Also he was a major character in the TIE Fighter PC game from '94 so even people that hadn't read the books may have learned about him there.

Which is where my avatar comes from. (Except for the whole American flag part. Obviously.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sector Corrector posted:

When you say you just finished the extended universe, what are you referring to? Not trying to be an rear end, genuinely curious.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

When you say you just finished the extended universe, what are you referring to? Not trying to be an rear end, genuinely curious.

He's copypasted in a few threads with variations on the same setup and question I dont think you're going to get an honest answer.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Arcsquad12 posted:

He's copypasted in a few threads with variations on the same setup and question I dont think you're going to get an honest answer.

I had a flatmate in college who used to do this to me randomly in public.

"Explain to me... the Borg."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drone posted:

Stole their slogan from the Vogons.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Drone posted:

As a complete aside, I recently watched the HBO documentary on Heaven's Gate and the leader saw the Borg as the heroes and a role model for the cult and had the members watch TNG so they could emulate the Borg. I knew they loved Star Trek and that Nichelle Nichols' brother was one of the leaders but that was pretty crazy new knowledge even so.

Sector Corrector
Nov 25, 2020

thrawn527 posted:

I just finished it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sector Corrector posted:

I just finished it.

That doesn’t answer...never mind.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

thrawn527 posted:

That doesn’t answer...never mind.

Pull up!

Sector Corrector posted:

Sector Corrector posted:

Just finished watching the Family-Guy-Iverse, but was unsure of one thing: are the Gray Alien and the Goldfish supposed to be the same character?

Sector Corrector posted:

Just finished watching all my favorite MCU content (Thor, Captain America, Spiderman, Xmen), but I have to ask: who is Ultron?

Sector Corrector posted:

Just finished my second read-through of Vengeful Spirit, Mark of Calth, The Path of Heaven, and Angel Extertiminatus (slow weekend at the server farm), one question: What's an Ork?

Sector Corrector posted:

Just finished the Similarion. Just one question... who's Tom Bombadil?

Sector Corrector posted:

I'd thought I'd seen most smaller mammals up until today when someone introduced me to a new one. Can someone tell me about : a gerbil? Sorry if the rat thread isn't the right place to ask this, but it seemed right since they were so similar.

Ok the rat/gerbil one is pretty funny.

Sector Corrector
Nov 25, 2020

The Rat Thread actually answered my question.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Your gimmick wasn't as obvious there.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sector Corrector posted:

The Rat Thread actually answered my question.

2 out of 6 ain't bad

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

thrawn527 posted:

That was annoying. The cover artists were always trying to imagine what older Luke would look like, and I remember thinking, "Um, Mark Hamill is right over there, guys" until I learned about that weird, "We have the rights to the OT Luke image and nothing else, so we can age up that image and NOTHING ELSE" thing. Same for Han and Leia.

So weird.
I find the IP rights involved in Star Wars fascinating, like how KoToR 1 had to undergo minor rewrites because of trademark dispute with Jeep of all people.

T___A fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sorry, it had to what?