Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

New Super Metis posted:

I don't know how you can read Gideon and not think the characters are falling for each other under about forty layers of repression. Maybe it's my lesbian brain, but that subtext is very obvious to me.

Middle aged cis male here, that was my read of it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

I'll take a look at Schizmatrix Plus, thanks! I'm reading Rendezvous with Rama right now, and I've read a lot of other Big Dumb Object stories, but not a lot of Big Smart Object We Built And Are Living On stories.

One ringworld I liked (the story itself is very generic evil vizier rebels against royal family) is from Evan Currie's Scourwind legacy books.

There's lots of dogfighting using paragliders with magnetic repulsion from the metal base layer for lift. The whole thing takes place in one link of a ringworld

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Started The Ministry for the Future and it's already shaping up as classically frustrating KSR - the brutal opening chapter about the lethal Indian heatwave is one of the best things he's ever written, yet 40 pages later I'm reading truncated minutes from a meeting which screams "I can't be being bothered writing this dialogue."

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

awesmoe posted:

your lesbian brain is probably reading it more accurately than my straight brain but I just dont read their relationship like that at the moment.
I wouldnt be crushed or betrayed or anything if it ended up romantic, but I think it would take a change from what they've got now. especially since gideon is alive(?) again and live girls aren't really harrow's type

While I'm not 100% sure on this, I do think those two characters' story is heading in a romantic direction - Gideon I think is definitely there already, Harrow mostly there but too self-repressed to acknowledge it

book 3 will presumably entail Harrow getting over her fixation on Alecto or just figuring out you're allowed to have more than one girlfriend if everyone involved is agreeable, especially if one of 'em is dead and thus unlikely to make demands on anyone's time.

The one argument I can see against it is that Gideon's internal narration is not shy about ogling the women she is attracted to (hence endlessly describing Dulcinea's and Coronabeth's appearances while being sort of indifferent to the appearances of the various other women around) and she never really notices Harrow that way. But it's not as if people have to conform to each other's physical tastes in order to end up together, the two have an old and jagged relationship that kinda transcends whether they would swipe right on skeleton tinder.

It's healthy for characters to be able to have close friendships without the need for romantic subtext, and Muir clearly knows this, which is why she provides various other important female characters who neither protagonist is ship-teased with. That said, both deliberately and accidentally breaking all the laws of necromancy out of sheer determination to keep someone alive reads as beyond Good Pals territory, to me

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Is skeleton tinder called boner or bonr

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Rattlr

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/orbitbooks/status/1351560651253149696

Has anyone read anything by this guy?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm honestly shocked that people think the whole lesbian romance thing was even veiled in Gideon, but otoh I've missed plenty of obvious poo poo in my day. It's your standard "raised together/hate each other/also Feelings" thing.

Edit: i have not heard of that author and I'm interested in giving it a shot but years of exposure to Warhammer have melted my brain to the point where anytime I see "brutal" i reframe it in Gork/Mork terms.

Is the book brutally cinematic, or cinematically brutal?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I have not. The Abercrombie comparison interests me, but it's got to come with humor and not just grim or its misses the point of the comparison. The comparison also mostly seems to consist of his books set in the North or on the frontier, whereas I prefer the Abercrombie books set in the cities.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Benagain posted:

I'm honestly shocked that people think the whole lesbian romance thing was even veiled in Gideon, but otoh I've missed plenty of obvious poo poo in my day. It's your standard "raised together/hate each other/also Feelings" thing.

The relationship trajectory Gideon and Harrow have going is taking its cues from fan fiction, which is its own storytelling mode fairly separate from commercial fiction, imo, so I can see how someone not familiar with the genre would miss its cues. It's a slow burn enemies to lovers romance heaped with ten tons of angst. (And it rules.)

eta spoiler tags

tiniestacorn fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 19, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I've only read Gideon, not Harrow, and all of this poo poo feels like spoilers to me given how that ended.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

TheAardvark posted:

I've only read Gideon, not Harrow, and all of this poo poo feels like spoilers to me given how that ended.
it's....it's complicated, alright? but its not spoilers. its just complicated.
and it's one of those lovely books where knowing that its not spoilers isn't itself a spoiler

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, has anyone read any of these?

https://twitter.com/orbitbooks/status/1351605785743261703

I might be looking for more books to throw into the pile...

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
I didn't realize until now that the third Poppy War was out but yikes the comments in here make me move the second out of the 'to read' pile. I listened to the first one's audiobook and the turn was extremely unpleasant, especially given that after about thirty seconds I realized 'oh this is the rape of Nanking.... oh, she's going to get into ALL the details' so it was just listening to gruesome misery.

It does hit a very annoying combination of being just good enough that I want to see it through but not good enough to compensate for the grimdarkness.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

StrixNebulosa posted:

I own Declaration of the Rights of Magicians but haven't read it yet. A friend just finished reading it and she said that it was pretty clearly influenced by Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, if that helps away you one way or the other. She liked it, for what it's worth.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Yarrington posted:

I didn't realize until now that the third Poppy War was out but yikes the comments in here make me move the second out of the 'to read' pile. I listened to the first one's audiobook and the turn was extremely unpleasant, especially given that after about thirty seconds I realized 'oh this is the rape of Nanking.... oh, she's going to get into ALL the details' so it was just listening to gruesome misery.

It does hit a very annoying combination of being just good enough that I want to see it through but not good enough to compensate for the grimdarkness.

It started off so delightfully wuxia, and with such a sense of humor, I thought that would carry it through. Unfortunately (for me) I was won enough to trudge through what ended up being a death march. I so wish I’d stopped after book one. Why didn’t I stop after book one?
:negative:

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

StrixNebulosa posted:

edit: bad memory made me mix some stuff up and talk undeserved poo poo for Trudi Canavan's books. I still didn't like her first book because of the weird power imbalances and the constant depictions of bullying but those are soft spots for me.

Queer Salutations fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 19, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't read that particular work of Trudi Carnavan but I've read both her Magician's Guild trilogy, Age of the Five series and the Traitor series that follows on from the Magician's Guild (plus the Magician's Apprentice, the prequel). She writes good and if I hadn't already spent my book budget this month I would buy that.

Edit:

Queer Salutations posted:

In one of Trudi Canavans first books a teen at magic school is raped, convicted of doing dark magic with her rapist (aka the headmaster of the school), and exiled from her home alongside her rapist. I read a summary of future books and she ends up staying with him and having his kid who I think is the protagonist of the one pictured... so I'd say skip that her books.

Sonea was the one to initiate that relationship honestly, Akkarin was trying to stay away from it entirely because he had concerns about the age difference plus also power disparity which evaporated when they were both exiled, which again was Sonea's choice entirely. where did you get the rape from?

Leng fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 19, 2021

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Leng posted:

where did you get the rape from?

Yeah I went looking and I might be mixing that part up with another book I read when I was younger. So my bad there!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations #1) by Michael J Sullivan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XWBUKK/

His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire #1) by Naomi Novik - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GCFBQA/

Senlin Ascends (Books of Babel #1) by Josiah Bancroft - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M62D7Y/

Quick edit
How Long 'til Black Future Month? by NK Jemisin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSLQXY8/

pradmer fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 20, 2021

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

tiniestacorn posted:

The relationship trajectory Gideon and Harrow have going is taking its cues from fan fiction, which is its own storytelling mode fairly separate from commercial fiction, imo, so I can see how someone not familiar with the genre would miss its cues. It's a slow burn enemies to lovers romance heaped with ten tons of angst. (And it rules.)

eta spoiler tags

will they wont they has been a theme in fiction as long as it's been going (, and a major plot point in serialised tv, Moonlighting is probably the one that made it a tv mainstay.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

the kb wagers one isn't bad, it's the first in a series but follows on directly from a previous series.

Space Opera, princess runs away to become a 'gunrunner' family is mostly killed, she finds out her bad boy boyfriend is actually from her mothers government keeping an eye on her etc.

Eventually she becomes Empress and this is that series. They do drag a bit and there's a lot of angst but overall pretty good.

She has another series about space coast guard (NeoG) that is trying to be Becky Chambers and not hitting the mark imo.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Weird. Most publishers just throw the books online and set em up to be free when they have a sequel coming out. This is the first time I've seen a contest for only one set of the books.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I think there's probably a psychological difference for someone between "oh yeah I guess I could download this book for free" vs "Oh wow I could win a whole stack of shiny new books!", especially in the twitter SFF fandom space. And the more people you get retweeting it, the more people will see the books and think "Well that looks cool, I guess I didn't win but I'll go buy one for myself instead"

And I'm not saying this is especially likely to be the case, but when I was working at a publishing house, we occasionally just ran free book giveaways to clear out the giant pile of ARCs we had building up around our office..

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’d pick up that Rights of Magicians book if it came on sale. There’s no way it’ll be as good as Strange and Norrell though, as much as I wish anything could measure up

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ccs posted:

I’d pick up that Rights of Magicians book if it came on sale. There’s no way it’ll be as good as Strange and Norrell though, as much as I wish anything could measure up

If you're looking for something that feels like Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, check out Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees. It has a similar vibe, and the prose is just astonishing. If you enjoy audiobooks I can highly recommend that version, too, as it has an excellent narrator.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kestral posted:

If you're looking for something that feels like Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, check out Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees. It has a similar vibe, and the prose is just astonishing. If you enjoy audiobooks I can highly recommend that version, too, as it has an excellent narrator.

Oh I’ve read Lud in the Mist. I was a fan of BotLs scathing reviews of genre fiction and that was one of the only books he liked so I checked it out. It’s very good and I’m sure Clarke was inspired by it when she wrote fairy characters.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It was Neil Gaiman, I think, who said that Strange and Norrell read like it was from a world where Lud-In-The-Mist was the foundational work of the fantasy genre instead of Lord of the Rings, and that's something that stuck with me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
v. annoyed that the audiobook isn't available in the US

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Anyone read Piranesi by Susanna Clarke yet? It popped up available on holds list so I just took it out

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's good, read it. It's no Jonathan Strange tho.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pradmer posted:

How Long 'til Black Future Month? by NK Jemisin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSLQXY8/

I'll keep saying it until everyone does it, read this book.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Stuporstar posted:

Anyone read Piranesi by Susanna Clarke yet? It popped up available on holds list so I just took it out

It's obviously not as much of a book you can sink your teeth into as JSMN, but it's still an absolute 10/10 classic. One of the best books I read last year.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

pradmer posted:

Senlin Ascends (Books of Babel #1) by Josiah Bancroft - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M62D7Y/
This seems kinda interesting, anyone read it?

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Piranesi is fantastic, but yeah, not the same as Jonathan Strange.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else read Persephone Station by Stina Leicht? I had read a couple reviews that mentioned it slows down a lot in the middle and (now that I'm about 60% in) I'd say that is definitely the case. I'm also finding the worldbuilding/plot/characters interesting enough but the prose style is not my favorite. A lot of things feel sort of over-explained somehow, especially a lot of (what I would consider) fairly common scifi technology things, so kind of often I'm left thinking something like "I pretty much already know what a mechanized exoskeleton suit is, you don't need to tell me about it for a full page."

I wonder if part of that is that I've just read/watched A LOT of scifi over the years so the explanations might be useful for someone who doesn't read a lot of scifi. But it really reminds me of that sort of older style of scifi where people would just egregiously infodump about how a wireless Martian telephone functions or whatever. (It's not super egregious in Persephone, to be clear, but it has a reminiscent flavor.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, it's pretty good. I wanted to go back when the third book came out because I didn't hate the first two. Not exceptional, but for three bucks I'd go for it if you like the sound of the premise.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Stuporstar posted:

Like other posters said, it was excellent. Best novel I read in 2020. It was definitely in a different style than Strange and Norrell, which I need to re-read.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Kestral posted:

I just started on the under the pendulum sun by Jeannette NG, it definitely has a strong Johnathan Strange vibe as well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/angryrobotbooks/status/1351913742695591940

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I liked the concept, but I found the execution dull. I didn't finish it.