Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

This is the time to reclaim skinhead culture as a working class solidarity movement.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'll just look like a big thumb :sigh:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I bought clippers and barber’s scissors and Wifezwang learned how to cut my hair on YouTube. A+, highly recommended. Get your own wife though

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

stab posted:

For context, my province infection rates is only outperformed by Hawaii currently. And I'm not in a major metropolitan city so the infection rates is a tenth of what's listed. For the day i was exposed, my city declared THREE cases. I was exposed by one of the 3.

That's not how it works. In terms of doing your own personal risk assessment for how safe/unsafe your area is, "active cases" is a much more important measurement than "new cases," and from that you need to think about how many undiagnosed cases are also floating around.

Anyway I don't understand why anyone wouldn't just embrace the full-on hair and beard growth opportunity. By the time Melbourne hit elimination I looked like Tom Hanks in Castaway, which is to say like absolute dogshit, but who cares if you're not seeing anyone anyway?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

I'll just look like a big thumb :sigh:

Thumbheads will be respected and honored for their sacrifice (of hair) to keep us safe (from covid)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

freebooter posted:

That's not how it works. In terms of doing your own personal risk assessment for how safe/unsafe your area is, "active cases" is a much more important measurement than "new cases," and from that you need to think about how many undiagnosed cases are also floating around.

Anyway I don't understand why anyone wouldn't just embrace the full-on hair and beard growth opportunity. By the time Melbourne hit elimination I looked like Tom Hanks in Castaway, which is to say like absolute dogshit, but who cares if you're not seeing anyone anyway?

At the time of exposure, my city's rate was 5.3 per 100000. (So roughly 1/200th of Arizona's I think)

Yeah.

My work is public facing even remotely so as much as I want to go full Micheal J Fox in Teen Wolf I kinda have to keep a certain degree of upkeep (which I hate and agree with you and want to go Full Metal Hobo but I can't :( )

stab fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 19, 2021

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

I bought clippers and barber’s scissors and Wifezwang learned how to cut my hair on YouTube. A+, highly recommended. Get your own wife though

This. I got some scissors from Japan and the middle tier wahl. My girlfriend looked up some videos on YouTube and does a great job.

If you want to get real fancy get the feather nape and body razor for the back of the neck and around the ears and sideburns. It keeps things very clean and neat and lets you go a week longer between hair cuts.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

freebooter posted:

I shaved my beard for mask wearing 10 months back. Hair, yeah, I cut it myself with clippers anyway but I've been letting it get mad scientist levels lately because I don't go out much.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stab posted:

Mask and faceshield on both ends.

Is there a reason why you're being a dick? I took the necessary precautions as listed by my public health, followed all the proper protocols, got unlucky, and then followed all the directives as per my government.
your public health department's listed precautions and protocols are inadequate bullshit designed to keep the economy running as much as possible without doing anything meaningful to stop spread! you should be educating yourself about how this virus is spread and transmitted, not trusting your goverment!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I haven't cut my hair since February 2020 and my long locks are beautiful. All the bald guys at work are jealous.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
thanks dad, for the good genes that don't carry male pattern baldness

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

stab posted:

When the hairdresser got next to each ear I'd remove the mask around my ear and hold it in place. When they were done, we would stop and readjust my mask while the hairdresser would be at a distance.

For the visor part, same principle when working around the band.
Is it even possible to do this without touching the contaminated outer surface of your mask? I mean, that's why there's a specific method for removing them, so you don't contaminate your hands and then spread it through contact.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Touch whatever part of your mask you want, then wash your hands.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Nam Taf posted:

Is it even possible to do this without touching the contaminated outer surface of your mask? I mean, that's why there's a specific method for removing them, so you don't contaminate your hands and then spread it through contact.

withak posted:

Touch whatever part of your mask you want, then wash your hands.

This.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Jabor posted:

thanks dad, for the good genes that don't carry male pattern baldness
Male pattern baldness is on the X chromosome.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I've spent a goddamn year almost staying in my neighborhood, and at home to try to help reduce spread and its all basically for nothing.

I’ve wrestled with these kinds of thoughts too...
Like most goons I’m perfectly fine living a shut in life, but after a year the isolation and not going anywhere is affecting me, and sometimes hits hard. I can’t imagine the hell it must be for extroverts.

But I figure every day I stayed in, all the hassle of wearing masks and face shield, every surface I sprayed, my excessive hand washing, if I helped save someone from getting it, that’s worth it.

If not, well, it’s really clean around me, my keys have never been more disinfected, so what

I think I can take maybe 6 more months of this but I’m definitely crack pinging more often

This is a bad thread to check before bed

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This is a bad thread to check before bed
Not for me. It’s sort of the same tone page after page, and the doom eventually makes me zone out and get sleepy. Histrio ooh oooohhhyawnnnicszzzzzz

Edit:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9122423/Gene-inherited-NEANDERTHALS-slashes-risk-dying-Covid-19.html
Wrap it up, Homo sapiailures!

I got dat neandergene

bort fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 20, 2021

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Nam Taf posted:

Most of us aren't surgeons preparing for an operation. The masks are to keep poo poo from flying out of our noses and mouths while we talk at American levels of volume.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah you’re right.

The pathogens that surgeons are worried about generally aren’t airborne.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

stab posted:

It doesn't :( i had gone 6 months without a haircut and it was the first time i left my fn house in 3 months.

Followed protocol had a mask and a visor on and welp, didn't matter. (I tested negative but Public Health directives stay the same, you get exposed=you stay home for 2 weeks even with a negative result)

I literally have seen 3 people in 6 months. My wife, kid and the ONE time i left the house to get rid of the monstrosity.

I'm kicking myself as much as I'm getting dogpiled trust me.

Also for context, I'm not American. The cases are bad here but my province is still solidly below the shitshow results the States are having :(

This makes it so much worse because after 6 months of isolation you chose to do something as fleeting and inconsequential as getting a haircut. That just sucks, what a lovely milquetoast thing to risk exposure over

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
should have had group sex like that one goon

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

This makes it so much worse because after 6 months of isolation you chose to do something as fleeting and inconsequential as getting a haircut. That just sucks, what a lovely milquetoast thing to risk exposure over

remember months ago when there was a haircutter with covid who wore a mask and none of their dozens of customers got sick? when proper precautions are taken the risk is very low. and if it helps somebody stay sane, then it's totally fine. people need to know which activities are actually risky so they can make proper decisions. people here would think it would be madness to be in close contact with covid patients every day yet many healthcare workers (and other essential workers) have been doing that all year and, with proper precautions taken, avoided infection. yes i personally have not had a haircut and only go out for groceries, but i'm not going to begrudge somebody for doing a low-risk activity. not like he was at a christmas party or eating in a restaurant or something.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’ve wrestled with these kinds of thoughts too...
Like most goons I’m perfectly fine living a shut in life, but after a year the isolation and not going anywhere is affecting me, and sometimes hits hard. I can’t imagine the hell it must be for extroverts.
I was a giant depressed shut in until like 2015 when I finally got therapy and started really working at getting my life together, by 2019 I was doing great, finished my degree, got into a postgraduate programme, had a pretty bustling social life, did a lot of travelling with my partner, felt like I'd finally made it, then Womp Womp Bitch

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wasn't it all such a waste lmao

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Pretty good posted:

I was a giant depressed shut in until like 2015 when I finally got therapy and started really working at getting my life together, by 2019 I was doing great, finished my degree, got into a postgraduate programme, had a pretty bustling social life, did a lot of travelling with my partner, felt like I'd finally made it, then Womp Womp Bitch

My depression and anxiety improvements have really regressed over the last year. It's really frustrating to see growth and progress and then watch it turn backwards.

Something that keeps me going is remembering that I was capable of doing it before, and holding onto the fact that I am capable of getting there again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mozi posted:

remember months ago when there was a haircutter with covid who wore a mask and none of their dozens of customers got sick? when proper precautions are taken the risk is very low. and if it helps somebody stay sane, then it's totally fine. people need to know which activities are actually risky so they can make proper decisions. people here would think it would be madness to be in close contact with covid patients every day yet many healthcare workers (and other essential workers) have been doing that all year and, with proper precautions taken, avoided infection. yes i personally have not had a haircut and only go out for groceries, but i'm not going to begrudge somebody for doing a low-risk activity. not like he was at a christmas party or eating in a restaurant or something.

Maybe the hairdresser was just not physiologically prone to superspreading.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

My depression and anxiety improvements have really regressed over the last year. It's really frustrating to see growth and progress and then watch it turn backwards.

Something that keeps me going is remembering that I was capable of doing it before, and holding onto the fact that I am capable of getting there again.
Yeah I am willing myself very hard to see it that way bc if I allow myself to sincerely believe it was all wasted effort or that I'll never get back up there then I guess it's time to stay in bed forever and watch the remaining good things in my life unwind themselves.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Mozi posted:

Goon-who-got-a-haircut aside, I'm wondering how or if this level of safety might change with the new spike protein variants. I also know of two cases in my life where people (wearing masks) spent a bunch of time in close quarters with infected/likely infectious people (also wearing masks), and no transmission took place. Do we have a sense of how much the new variants affect the transmission risk in these situations?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Zugzwang posted:

Goon-who-got-a-haircut aside, I'm wondering how or if this level of safety might change with the new spike protein variants. I also know of two cases in my life where people (wearing masks) spent a bunch of time in close quarters with infected/likely infectious people (also wearing masks), and no transmission took place. Do we have a sense of how much the new variants affect the transmission risk in these situations?

yeah that's a worrying concern, for sure. and i read something this morning that (now that we started looking for variants in the US) there is a variant in CA that might be driving their spike recently. if it does become more transmissible, lots of stuff people are getting away with now will not be ok anymore.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My wife gets her second shot today and I'll have mine soon.

The first one didn't cause any issues, does anyone have any info on the second?

I think someone said the second one made them feel crappy for the day?

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
The second shot is designed to cause a stronger reaction than the initial dose so the side-effects are generally stronger than the first shot.

EDIT: user goddamnedtwisto informed me on the next page that these two shots are the same so I'm including that here. My information came from a podcast (lol) so I'm probably wrong.

sex excellence fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 20, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spacetoaster posted:

My wife gets her second shot today and I'll have mine soon.

The first one didn't cause any issues, does anyone have any info on the second?

I think someone said the second one made them feel crappy for the day?

I’ve heard everything from “I felt nothing, not even arm soreness” to “it knocked me on my rear end for a couple of days”.

Here are some anecdotes. I’m not saying they’re representative, but it can be unpleasant. Don’t plan on being productive or comfortable or a day or two just in case.

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

My second dose (Pfizer) was pretty rough. Woke up the morning after with a low-grade fever (38.2) and spent a few hours vomiting, then was horribly fatigued for the next couple days.

Looking forward to 95% immunity though!!

Ziv Zulander posted:

Yeah my second dose yesterday I went pale, started pouring sweat, and felt like I was gonna throw up. It passed after a while though. Today I just feel like poo poo, very weak

Rasta_Al posted:

I got the second dose yesterday and ended up waking up at 3 am with the worst chills I’ve ever had, and my temperature went through the roof. My body also feels like it’s been hit by a car. Better than getting Covid though. Lol

Fenarisk posted:

Our shipment came in super late evening so I was fortunate to get my second pfizer dose yesterday at lunch. Last time I had a sore shoulder and was a little tired the following morning but nothing major.

This thing has loving rocked me this time, I legit haven't left bed and everything aches and is stiff along with a massive headache.

Winnie the poo poo posted:

I got my second dose of pfizer yesterday and I am feeling it today. Arm is very sore, 99.7 temp, mild aches, fatigue, lymph nodes in my neck and armpits a bit tender, and mild headache. Taking some acetaminophen and getting out of bed seems to help. Hopefully I don't catch the real deal in the next week.

bad boys for life posted:

Wife got 2nd pfizer shot thursday night, second shot symptoms slightly worse, flu like, 100.5 fever, body aches, nausea. Onset of symptoms about 12-14 hours post shot (she was fine when she woke up, worse progressively), then clear this morning for anyone wondering. Her coworkers had similar effects.

THS posted:

if you had a reaction to the first shot like that, the second shot will be Awful. it only lasted 24 hours to me but it was the worst pain of my life.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 20, 2021

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Platystemon posted:

I’ve heard everything from “I felt nothing, not even arm soreness” to “it knocked me on my rear end for a couple of days”.

Here are some anecdotes. I’m not saying they’re representative, but it can be unpleasant. Don’t plan on being productive or comfortable or a day or two just in case.

Ok, thanks.

Tylenol at the ready.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I got my second dose yesterday. The info sheet we got with it confirms that the second dose is more likely to cause side-effects than the first dose.

After my first dose, all I had was soreness at the injection site for the next day. A little less than 24 hours after my second dose, I have muscle soreness all up and down both arms, across my shoulders, and neck.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We now have a new president who is literally not actively trying to kill us. It's still lovely and it's still going to get worse but I'm excited to see what happens when not only someone competent is in charge, but not someone who literally lied to everyone and did no work whatsoever to help us which resulted in more dead than WWII in less than a year.

:unsmith: I'm trying to stay hopeful.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

our idiot premier ranted during a press conference that if he was prime minister he'd be up the ceo of Pfizer's ying-yang with a firecracker to get vaccines.

all the while he does nothing to protect the long term care homes that are getting savaged by covid.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

our idiot premier ranted during a press conference that if he was prime minister he'd be up the ceo of Pfizer's ying-yang with a firecracker to get vaccines.

all the while he does nothing to protect the long term care homes that are getting savaged by covid.

So many to chose from!

Kinney or Ford?

Probably Ford.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

stab posted:

So many to chose from!

Kinney or Ford?

Probably Ford.

The Coward Douglas Ford.

livestreaming his cheesecake recipe, while grandma in long-term care has poo poo overflowing from her diaper because all the below minimum wage ltc workers have covid and is drowning in her own lungs.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Doggles posted:

I got my second dose yesterday. The info sheet we got with it confirms that the second dose is more likely to cause side-effects than the first dose.

After my first dose, all I had was soreness at the injection site for the next day. A little less than 24 hours after my second dose, I have muscle soreness all up and down both arms, across my shoulders, and neck.

So if I want to keep exercising, that's a no-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just think of it as a preview of what exercising will feel like in ten years.