Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

yea ok posted:

Movie update: rolled a random year on random.org and got "1939" so im watching movies from that year to forego 'selection anxiety' (movie goons? we know all about this). i watched "mr smithgoes to washington" which sucked lol. americana fail. ah well. hope every1 is doing great :)

Mr Smith is kind of worth watching if you're interested in how the America myth has been adapted in mainstream cinema, and it's hard to say no to a bit of Claude Rains, but it absolutely is the peak of the mindless Frank Capra optimism stereotype that gets flung at a lot of 30s/40s pictures. At least films like it had the effect of enriching European cinema, when after the war the European markets reopened and Americana flicks started flooding the cinemas, making filmmakers and policymakers alike say "Well, these films are poo poo, better make better ones ourselves".

You should have some better films ahead of you though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

this mf said explanations lol

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

It’s remarkable that a Japanese development team were able to create the most accurate depiction of Italians and the Italian experience in media.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

yea ok posted:

Movie update: rolled a random year on random.org and got "1939" so im watching movies from that year to forego 'selection anxiety' (movie goons? we know all about this). i watched "mr smithgoes to washington" which sucked lol. americana fail. ah well. hope every1 is doing great :)

Pretty confident the only 1939 film I've seen is The Wizard of Oz, but there's an outside chance I've watched Stagecoach because my dad likes westerns and that is definitely one that gets shown on TV a lot.

But then I've watched very few films from before the 70s so I'm pretty poor on movies

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Wizard Of Oz is good, there's a couple scenes where the Scarecrow has a revolver but never fires it, even though he definitely could've put a couple rounds into a monkey

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hollow Knight is the most I've ever enjoyed exploration & atmosphere in a 2D world and I found the combat to be a lot of fun. I will likely replay it before the sequel comes out since I never did a lot of the DLC. I can enjoy a game that focuses on uncovering various bits of lore more than telling a direct story, but I understand if others don't like that.

I'm playing through Ori 1 now. It's beautiful and I'm enjoying it but it doesn't feel like a Metroidvania at all. Very linear.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i started playing breath of the wild last year and didn’t like it very much. started up again last week and hooooo boy was i wrong. botw more like best of the willennium

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Noted art game "Rayman"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Love BotW just wish you could keep the hosed up faerie horse

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Love BOTW

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I too love Red Letter Media's Best Of The Worst, it's the best Zelda game other than the first 2/3 of Okami

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

For whatever reason I've never been able to get into Okami. Maybe I just don't wanna play as a dog. That was my least favorite part of Twilight Princess. I love the art style a lot. I love the art style in Hollow Knight too.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the only good thing about rayman is the incredible art. okami is like that as well but not being a simple platformer makes it more socially acceptable. okami has a lot of "high class" friends, who talk about the different old films they watch. rayman doesn't, and talks about ninja turtle. but they're actually the same on the inside and that's why they're friends with each other

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://youtu.be/Buqj8mvjL1E

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I don't trust that chicken.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Don’t you dang disparage Okami.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i said it has lots of friends. they talk about the other kurosawa and call things lynchian

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Okami was pleasant. Will probably never revisit it but I enjoyed the art design and environments and story and character design and general aesthetic of the game.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Artelier posted:

Such an excellent game! I try to "speedrun" the game every few months, until end of main story. Got it down to 45 minutes and I'm starting to feel like if I want to improve the time I need to Learn the Speedrun, but I am Lazy.

I wish I was anywhere near the kind of good at that game to consider speedruns

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the celeste speedruns are absolutely nutters. just crazy movement techniques. cant wrap me head aroun it

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

CobiWann posted:

That’s clearly a turkey

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

CobiWann posted:

Nugget is more trustworthy than most humans you meet in 0. Besides, he does an excellent job as one of your property managers.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Germansimp posted:

Nugget is more trustworthy than most humans you meet in 0. Besides, he does an excellent job as one of your property managers.

Nugget has nothing on Omlette. He helped me take Itchiban Holdings to the next level

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Chicken Boo from Animaniacs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TV Zombie posted:

I watched Vivarium and three of the most bothersome things about the movie was the hopelessness of it all in that I didn't believe that the protagonists would overcome their situations, we never knew the motivation or the identity of the horrors though the cuckoo imagery at the beginning alludes to something, also the horror the protagonists go through, made me think that it showed how difficult life with kids can be.

I thought Vivarium was great but yes it has a desperately hopeless atmosphere that never really lets up, which is basically the opposite of what I generally like in films/stories. Don't go into that film expecting anything resembling a happy ending.

In terms of 1939 films, hey Stagecoach is a blast (if hopelessly racist) and Goodbye Mr. Chips is very wholesome. Also, I only ever saw it once when I was a kid but I remember thinking Young Mr. Lincoln was an enjoyable film. More importantly though, that's the year they started making the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films :hellyeah:

I've never been able to enjoy Gone With The Wind :shrug:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

New ghost just dropped

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Please refrain from posting my selfies in this thread without my permission, thank you

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

CobiWann posted:

Nugget is a strong powerful turkey and he is my friend

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I don’t post too much about this here but I sent a sci-fi novel off today to an agent at a big deal agency who requested it. It will be the third time they’re taking a look; they’re very positive but asked for edits to make it more marketable. I spent the last three months editing it down by twenty thousand words when I wasn’t virtual teaching; most of my Xmas break was just writing. So anyway, positive vibes for one step of a lifelong dream to come true please. I’m sorry I said I didn’t like your games.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 22, 2021

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Good luck captain ...soon to be author... magic

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

its too late. i hope your book fails!! i’m just kidding of course, that whips rear end and i wish the best success for you. congratulations even if it ends up not working out, still finishing and getting this far is a feat on its own.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Magic posted:

I don’t post too much about this here but I sent a novel off today to an agent at a big deal agency who requested it. It will be the third time they’re taking a look; they’re very positive but asked for edits to make it more marketable. I spent the last three months editing it down by twenty thousand words when I wasn’t virtual teaching; most of my Xmas break was just writing. So anyway, positive vibes for one step of a lifelong dream to come true please. I’m sorry I said I didn’t like your games.

Oh hell that is great, I really hope it comes through - the fact they've looked at it multiple times and requested edits is a really good sign and something to be proud of - if it was bad they'd have no problem either saying so or just never contacting you again. Good luck, and be proud, hell just writing a full book is something to crow about!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hope you kept the original version in case the book does well and you gain the clout or favor to release the author's cut

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

I don’t post too much about this here but I sent a sci-fi novel off today to an agent at a big deal agency who requested it. It will be the third time they’re taking a look; they’re very positive but asked for edits to make it more marketable. I spent the last three months editing it down by twenty thousand words when I wasn’t virtual teaching; most of my Xmas break was just writing. So anyway, positive vibes for one step of a lifelong dream to come true please. I’m sorry I said I didn’t like your games.

That is really cool if it works out i’d love to read it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Captain Magic posted:

Good luck! Fingers crossed and wishing wells spit in.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

Good luck!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Wanna read that book. Good luck and goon speed

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro sending me a PM

Me being in a twitter DM with Seth Rollins

The entire General Thread on a Friday night talking about Shenmue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NienNunb posted:

Cavauro sending me a PM

Me being in a twitter DM with Seth Rollins

The entire General Thread on a Friday night talking about Shenmue

I'm the duck with the suds saying Shenmue sucks.