Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
ah, the Mass Effect effect. (Mass effect?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Being stuck in the same trilogy made all three sequel movies worse, and its honestly heartbreaking.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

I really don't think TFA was ever that great. It just had a dynamism that suggested it could be a part of a more enjoyable (and comprehensible) whole.

Now that the trilogy is complete, there's no hope of that.

Agreed, but I have to imagine all the empty mystery box stuff in TFA like snoke, knights of ren, rey's parents would make it especially hard to rewatch now

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's very funny watching AMVs of star wars made by very passionate fans because they've managed to claw together the three minutes of footage from each film that is in alignment with their perspective (sometimes, not even that much, and they have to edit the footage to make it function) and turn it into something meaningful

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It was A New Hope for a good trilogy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ungulateman posted:

it's very funny watching AMVs of star wars made by very passionate fans because they've managed to claw together the three minutes of footage from each film that is in alignment with their perspective (sometimes, not even that much, and they have to edit the footage to make it function) and turn it into something meaningful

The ones that try to make Reylo romantic are absolutely hysterical though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They still make AMVs?

Are there still Linkin Park ones?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They still make AMVs?

Primarily set to Numb, New Divide, and several to In The End

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They still make AMVs?
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC9oxYggxNA

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They still make AMVs?

Almost daily in fact.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I assume that the macguffin in Episode X will by the lost flash drive of Kylo's AMVs (homemade and collected)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

I assume that the macguffin in Episode X will by the lost flash drive of Kylo's AMVs (homemade and collected)

Kylo's mixtape has the power of the Suncrusher in music form

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vinylshadow posted:

The ones that try to make Reylo romantic are absolutely hysterical though

I have respect for the effort. Disney sure didn't make it easy for them.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

In honor of SMG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TomiJPtVL4w

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ungulateman posted:

ah, the Mass Effect effect. (Mass effect?)

The first Mass Effect was actually a good game that works entirely as a self contained story though. All the unresolved plot hooks/promises of things for the sequels didn't subtract or interfere with the narrative. You can understand 100% of what is going on without ever even knowing there more Mass Effect games (and you'd be better off if you didn't). By the time the credits roll you know who everyone and everything is and what they're doing. It's entirely possible (had no sequels been made) that the ending had essentially ended the Reaper threat. All of these traits are shared by ANH.
The unanswered plot threads in TFA on the other hand are all necessary to understand what anything means. It's a story that only exists in relation to as yet non-existing sequels.

Schwarzwald posted:

I really don't think TFA was ever that great. It just had a dynamism that suggested it could be a part of a more enjoyable (and comprehensible) whole.

Now that the trilogy is complete, there's no hope of that.

I think a good way of looking at it is that TFA isn't actually a movie. TFA is a trailer. It is a 2 hour commercial for a new Star Wars trilogy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

The first Mass Effect was actually a good game that works entirely as a self contained story though. All the unresolved plot hooks/promises of things for the sequels didn't subtract or interfere with the narrative. You can understand 100% of what is going on without ever even knowing there more Mass Effect games (and you'd be better off if you didn't). By the time the credits roll you know who everyone and everything is and what they're doing. It's entirely possible (had no sequels been made) that the ending had essentially ended the Reaper threat. All of these traits are shared by ANH.
The unanswered plot threads in TFA on the other hand are all necessary to understand what anything means. It's a story that only exists in relation to as yet non-existing sequels.

I think a good way of looking at it is that TFA isn't actually a movie. TFA is a trailer. It is a 2 hour commercial for a new Star Wars trilogy.

This was the whole deal with TLJ too, honestly. These movies were supposed to exist, from day one, as the three parts of a trilogy, and a failure at that renders their failure almost total.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What's an AMV?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Anime Music Video, in which someone opens a video editing program, puts down a single song on the audio track, and proceeds to slice up episodes/scenes of an anime/movie/tv show/spots of a wrestling match and puts it to the music, usually trying to convey some story, either a subplot they got attached to, or trying to do a whole arc in a few minutes.

Here’s Community making a joke out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW5Wtvj2Ivg

(Note: this joke was based off an actual video someone uploaded to YouTube about Annie and Jeff)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Cameo posted:

Anime Music Video, in which someone opens a video editing program, puts down a single song on the audio track, and proceeds to slice up episodes/scenes of an anime/movie/tv show/spots of a wrestling match and puts it to the music, usually trying to convey some story, either a subplot they got attached to, or trying to do a whole arc in a few minutes.

Here’s Community making a joke out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW5Wtvj2Ivg

(Note: this joke was based off an actual video someone uploaded to YouTube about Annie and Jeff)

Thanks! (I'm old)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btp1BoGbuiM

i'm becoming increasingly sure this channel is made by a cined goon. bongo bill is this you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You flatter me, but I barely have the time to watch video essays about movies, let alone try to make them.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

ungulateman posted:

i'm becoming increasingly sure this channel is made by a cined goon. bongo bill is this you.

Kershner spells out the upside down luke moments in the intro of this in the ESB commentary track (a really good commentary track)

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW0b_OzXwk8

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Doesn't that guy run an alternate channel where he's literally just a nazi?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Who, Overlord/Doomcock? Yeah probably.

https://wordforge.net/index.php?threads/doomcock-is-probably-a-nazi-probably.120508/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Robot Style posted:

Doesn't that guy run an alternate channel where he's literally just a nazi?

Just the kind of guy Palpatine would watch on Youtube if he were my grandpa.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Also, and don't get me wrong here, when I saw what kind of video this was, I was really annoyed that I even clicked on the link. For the benefit of those who don't have show video inline activated, it would be nice if people wrote a little disclaimer when they post worthless clickbait garbage.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah don't blind-link us to that poo poo, it's gonna mess up my recs for sure.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Almost a decade since the buyout and an entire sequel trilogy on home video, and people still think getting the original three leads together is the skeleton key. Truly some Q style thinking here

When I think of people who really want to see a star wars trilogy done right in the 2020s, I naturally arrive at Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Definitely put in more of carrie fisher's acting. The main problem was not having enough of it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, and don't get me wrong here, when I saw what kind of video this was, I was really annoyed that I even clicked on the link. For the benefit of those who don't have show video inline activated, it would be nice if people wrote a little disclaimer when they post worthless clickbait garbage.

pretty much all videos about how bad they are, are nazi poo poo.

Even if you personally hate them for real reasons. Just don’t ever click em

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Thank you, blessed Algorithm

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"Hi Youtuber SirDapperArcadia1488 here bringing you BREAKING news about how my favorite corporate overlords at Disney are going to FIRE the SJW Kathleen Kennedy and REPLACE her with Dave Filoni and redo the entire Star Wars sequel trilogy"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Episodes X, XI, XII to star ORIGINAL CAST by way of Conan O'Brien's old gag where he'd have a picture of someone famous on screen with a talking mouth superimposed over the real mouth. We have the tech; trust the plan

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

just because i had to know, i went and looked it up...

code:
   E            X
B     R     Q      A
   T            G

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Looks like it's four feet tall and in a museum lmao

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ungulateman posted:

Huh, this video led to me reading up on the star wars ring theory again

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/

I recall skimming that theory way back when the RLM star wars videos were freshly released, and just sort of dismissed it out of hand because I was convinced Lucas was a hack, but rereading it now it makes a lot of sense. I didn't appreciate just how much of Lucas storytelling was told visually and through the "rythm" of the poetry, as it were.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
He's Mexican? I always thought the actor was of French origin.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

You thought someone named Diego Luna was French?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Combat Pretzel posted:

He's Mexican? I always thought the actor was of French origin.

Do you think Pedro Pascal is French as well?