Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

This one talks about how much Disney's amusement parks have hosed up Florida, yeah?

Some of it, yeah. There's also parts discussing other ways Disney influences culture, though -- like how 101 Dalmatians makes people rush out to get Dalmatian puppies for their kids, and then abandon them when they discover that real Dalmatians require quite a bit of work to train properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I have another history of a particular area in the panhandle of Texas called Trails through Archer, by Jack Loftin, an amateur historian in Archer City that I know. He's aided my colleagues in the area in the past, geez going on 60+ years now? in doing our research. I can't actually recommend the cowboy stories in it yet because I'm embarrassed to admit I've only read the chapter on my field and one on the mystery of the white buffalo robe (a lot of the book deals with the bison hunting of that time). He's a great story teller though, and has his own museum set up in the old jail house built back in the first oil boom and opened around 1912 or something. Gorgeous building.

Interesting connection to the other books you mentioned: Jack owns the ranch next door to Larry McMurtry, who owns a bookstore in the old down district with like 6 storefronts filled with books by subject matter. its definitely worth a stop if you are ever driving from Dallas to Lubbock or Wichita Falls for whatever reason, and you are likely to see Larry in the DQ.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Selachian posted:

Some of it, yeah. There's also parts discussing other ways Disney influences culture, though -- like how 101 Dalmatians makes people rush out to get Dalmatian puppies for their kids, and then abandon them when they discover that real Dalmatians require quite a bit of work to train properly.

Lol this seems like kind of a cheap shot to take at disney. But gently caress em. I'll check it out. My mom was reading some Hiaasen early in quarantine and it had her howling.

Franchescanado posted:

DisneyWar by James B. Stewart is the big one that I know of.

I'll check this one out for sure. Thanks.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Good books about the cultural influence and inner workings of Disney over the years?

The Pirates and the Mouse: Disney's War Against The Underground by Bob Levin is about the time a group of cartoonists in the 70s starting making unauthorized parody cartoons of Disney characters to try and provoke a lawsuit that lasted for 10 years and went to the supreme court.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m looking for a book I read a long time ago. It’s about a big door that was found deep underground that ends up being a door to hell

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

North American Lake Monsters story The Crevasse?

E: or a somewhat misremembered Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz?

E2: but you're probably looking for this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 16, 2021

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Ive just binged through Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time/Ruin Sci-fi books and massively enjoyed them.
Has anyone here read any of his other stuff and possibly recommend any that hits the same notes or on par quality-wise? Or similar works of science fiction/fantasy?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Monglo posted:

Ive just binged through Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time/Ruin Sci-fi books and massively enjoyed them.
Has anyone here read any of his other stuff and possibly recommend any that hits the same notes or on par quality-wise? Or similar works of science fiction/fantasy?

That’s one of my favourites so oh boy here we go:

Pushing Ice by Alistair Reynolds
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
Dragon’s Egg
Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson
The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson
Rendezvous With Rama
Anathem by Neal Stephenson
Semiosis
The Stars are Legion by Kameron Hurley

Some of those are similar in that they deal with the science history motifs (anathem, Years of Rice and Salt), others are like the generation ship sections (Aurora, The Stars Are Legion), and a couple deal with the alien psychology and relations part of Children of Time (Semiosis, Dragon’s Egg). The rest are just sweet, depressing hard SF.

I hope that’s got some new stuff for you at least. :)

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Most obvious comp has to be A Deepness in the Sky, right down to the spiders, no?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

buffalo all day posted:

Most obvious comp has to be A Deepness in the Sky, right down to the spiders, no?

Thanks, I couldn’t remember the title of that one! But yeah, that’s a really great recommendation.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

tuyop posted:

That’s one of my favourites so oh boy here we go:

Good recommendations

Thanks! Ive finished Rendezvous with Rama, now onto the others :)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Seveneves is the only bad book in group. But it’s truly deeply awful.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Looking for a good/fun cheesy fantasy/SciFi series to read. I have just had a baby so I'm up at weird times and will read to get back to sleep so preferably something not super serious or involved and good in shorter chunks.

For reference I've been enjoying the Raymond E Feist stuff but feel like changing it up

screaden fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 18, 2021

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

screaden posted:

Looking for a good/fun cheesy fantasy/SciFi series to read. I have just had a baby so I'm up at weird times and will read to get back to sleep so preferably something not super serious or involved and good in shorter chunks.

For reference I've been enjoying the Raymond E Feist stuff but feel like changing it up

I have enjoyed all of the books by Alistair Reynolds. If you like cheesy but fun try Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Captain Monkey posted:

Seveneves is the only bad book in group. But it’s truly deeply awful.

Yeah Neal Stephenson often has trouble with his third acts. But I really loved the first two in that one, I thought he nailed the sense of impending doom really well.

But I think I can see where the criticism comes from, yeah.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

screaden posted:

Simon Morden's Petrovitch series, Scalzi's Old Man's War series (although I haven't read the last couple) or The Android's Dream

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

Scalzi's Old Man's War series (although I haven't read the last couple)
Can second at least the first couple books as excellent.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

Yeah Neal Stephenson often has trouble with his third acts. But I really loved the first two in that one, I thought he nailed the sense of impending doom really well.

But I think I can see where the criticism comes from, yeah.

I won’t continue the derail, but the book just didn’t really connect with me for some reason and I have a few friends who felt the same way.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Looking for hard sci-fi which deals with humans living in weird environments (like Niven's Integral Trees or Steven Baxter's Raft) and/or aliens adapted to conditions unlike anything on earth, or based on unconventional forms of matter (e.g. Robert Forward's Dragon Egg and Starquake, which feature life forms made of super-compressed matter on a neutron star, or Flatland and other takes on two-dimensional life). Especially if there's overlap with the sort of thing I mentioned in my earlier post-- in-universe encyclopedia entries or other documents detailing how these creatures and worlds work, or in-universe "survival guides" for humans in crazy environments.

I tried to start on Greg Egan's Orthogonal and Dichronauts (alternate worlds where space and time work differently) but found them too confusing even after reading the associated explanations.

Also many thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier post! I really enjoyed the Lambshead Guide, War with the Newts, and Dictionary of the Khazars. Major Refutation sounds interesting, too, but I haven't managed to get a copy yet.

SerialKilldeer fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 20, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SerialKilldeer posted:

Looking for hard sci-fi which deals with humans living in weird environments (like Niven's Integral Trees or Steven Baxter's Raft) and/or aliens adapted to conditions unlike anything on earth, or based on unconventional forms of matter (e.g. Robert Forward's Dragon Egg and Starquake, which feature life forms made of super-compressed matter on a neutron star, or Flatland and other takes on two-dimensional life). Especially if there's overlap with the sort of thing I mentioned in my earlier post-- in-universe encyclopedia entries or other documents detailing how these creatures and worlds work, or in-universe "survival guides" for humans in crazy environments.

I tried to start on Greg Egan's Orthogonal and Dichronauts (alternate worlds where space and time work differently) but found them too confusing even after reading the associated explanations.

Also many thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier post! I really enjoyed the Lambshead Guide, War with the Newts, and Dictionary of the Khazars. Major Refutation sounds interesting, too, but I haven't managed to get a copy yet.

Hal Clement's Mission of Gravity is the obvious answer.

I also used to love A. K. Dewdney's The Planiverse, which is a slightly-more-realistic-than-Flatland take on a two-dimensional world.

You might also like Christopher Priest's The Inverted World, although I wouldn't exactly call it hard SF.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SerialKilldeer posted:

Did you check out The Three-Body Problem yet?

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Could someone recommend a post-apocalyptic book? I haven't read the genre in a long time and thought I'd see whats up. I really liked the first 2 books from Justin Cronin. The 3rd not do much. The series did have fantasy elements which is ok, but not necessarily needed.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I’m looking for novels with very competent protagonists who can do no wrong. Some examples:

Jack Reacher
The Kingkiller Chronicles
Travis McGee
Sherlock Holmes
Fletch

I’m not sure if Jack Reacher is considered well-written, but all of the similar “ex-military badass” books that I’ve tried have been absolutely terrible, so I’ll make clear that I’m looking for competent writers.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Dial M for MURDER posted:

Could someone recommend a post-apocalyptic book? I haven't read the genre in a long time and thought I'd see whats up. I really liked the first 2 books from Justin Cronin. The 3rd not do much. The series did have fantasy elements which is ok, but not necessarily needed.

Earth Abides and Alas, Babylon are two of the foundational books if you haven't read those, but they are very much grounded in reality. This is the Way the World Ends and A Canticle for Lebowitz are two classics that mix in some fantastic elements, and The Apocalypse Reader, Wastelands, and The End of the World are really good anthologies.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

ahobday posted:

I’m looking for novels with very competent protagonists who can do no wrong. Some examples:

Jack Reacher
Travis McGee
Sherlock Holmes
Fletch

I’m not sure if Jack Reacher is considered well-written, but all of the similar “ex-military badass” books that I’ve tried have been absolutely terrible, so I’ll make clear that I’m looking for competent writers.

Dan Brown's Robert Langdon books (Angels and Demons, Da Vinci Code, etc)?

funkybottoms posted:

Earth Abides and Alas, Babylon are two of the foundational books if you haven't read those, but they are very much grounded in reality. This is the Way the World Ends and A Canticle for Lebowitz are two classics that mix in some fantastic elements, and The Apocalypse Reader, Wastelands, and The End of the World are really good anthologies.

I'll throw in a vote for Alas, Babylon as well. I haven't read it in a while but I've been meaning to reread it.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

ahobday posted:

Jack Reacher
Travis McGee
Sherlock Holmes
Fletch

In addition to the ones others have named, I'd say The Martian fits this bill. Any of the Jack Ryan/John Clark novels by Tom Clancy are centered on protagonists who are competent within the world of the novel and who can do no wrong within the world of the novel. As far as being competently written, I thought the Martian was okay, but I have only heard bad things about the author's novels after that one so maybe look at samples before buying.

From Tom Clancy's novels, I think the earlier ones are competently written, but much like the Dune series at a certain point it just gets worse over time, so bail once you get bored. For me anything before Sum of all Fears is probably ok, anything after it gets increasingly lazy. I still really like Clear and Present Danger. Your mileage may vary. I have not read any of the books ghostwritten in his name, so I can't help you there, but I have heard they are in the same wheelhouse.

If you feel like stretching your definitions a little, many works of detective fiction have something close to what you're looking at. The detective is usually good at his or her job, and often the most moral person in his or her world.

Raymond Chandler, author of detective fiction posted:

down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. He is the hero; he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor—by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world.

So, depending on how you feel about non-Sherlock detective fiction, Chandler could be good too. Noir protagonists usually can (and do) do wrong, but the writing is more than competent.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

ahobday posted:

Jack Reacher
Travis McGee
Sherlock Holmes
Fletch

John Rain series by Barry Eisler, especially the first few set in Tokyo.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ahobday posted:

Jack Reacher
Travis McGee
Sherlock Holmes
Fletch

I usually recommend Greg Rucka's Atticus Kodiak books to people who like Reacher.

You might also want to check out Robert B. Parker's Spenser books. Spenser is a lot like McGee in that he usually tries to avoid fights but can more than hold his own when he gets into one.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Thanks all. To be clear “does no wrong” was an ambiguous way of saying “does everything well”. I’m very happy with characters who have loose morals. More suggestions always welcome - I’ll check these out.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

ahobday posted:

I’m looking for novels with very competent protagonists who can do no wrong.

I've never read them, but the description kinda makes me think "Bond". Anyone know if those are any good? I'm certain they are problematic as hell, I just mean as far as the writing.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

I've never read them, but the description kinda makes me think "Bond". Anyone know if those are any good? I'm certain they are problematic as hell, I just mean as far as the writing.

Rampant sexism aside, I think the Bond books are very well written.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

How about 'Radiant Terminus' by Antonine Volodine

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

ahobday posted:

I’m looking for novels with very competent protagonists who can do no wrong
The current book of the month, The Mark of Zorro is like this. It seems fairly common in pulp books overall, where the best ___ is faced with impossible odds, like all of Robert E. Howard's Conan, Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Grey Mouser, and Jack Vance's Demon Princes. Or as already mentioned, pulp detective fiction like Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett.

Cormac McCarthy's The Road is the greatest post-apocalyptic book I'm aware of.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

There's a Let's Read James Bond thread that started in this very forum, if you want to dip in and see for yourself.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

AngusPodgorny posted:

Cormac McCarthy's The Road is the greatest post-apocalyptic book I'm aware of.

Its good.

Also Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

I'm about halfway through Blackfish City and it's pretty good so far, which is about a floating city in the Artic Ocean after the climate apocalypse and crumbling of most or all nation-states.

Magnetic North posted:

They're well written, although the book Bond is pretty different than the movie Bond. A lot of stuff is the same but also Bond fucks up way more, sometimes because he accidently gets too drunk or is over-confident, but he also occasionally doubts his abilities or his self-worth. He's not the unflappable killing-machine of the movies.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Human Tornada posted:

They're well written, although the book Bond is pretty different than the movie Bond. A lot of stuff is the same but also Bond fucks up way more, sometimes because he accidently gets too drunk or is over-confident, but he also occasionally doubts his abilities or his self-worth. He's not the unflappable killing-machine of the movies.

This reminds me of a section of Chuck Jone's autobiography where he compares Daffy Duck to James Bond. Both screw up constantly in their endeavors, suffering consequences, etc. The only difference in his mind was that James Bond would be eventually successful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

They're well written, although the book Bond is pretty different than the movie Bond. A lot of stuff is the same but also Bond fucks up way more

In Casino Royale he's pretty much completely incompetent, to an astonishing degree.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yikes, I almost missed a chance to recommend Riddley Walker. So: Riddley Walker is a great post-apocalyptic book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ahobday posted:

Thanks all. To be clear “does no wrong” was an ambiguous way of saying “does everything well”. I’m very happy with characters who have loose morals. More suggestions always welcome - I’ll check these out.

You may like the Stark novels. They vary wildly in quality but The Hunter(first novel, they made the move Payback based on it) is very good and the main character is basically smarter/tougher than everyone. There's a million of them and most of them can be read in a couple sittings so they are pretty fun.

Sarern posted:

In addition to the ones others have named, I'd say The Martian fits this bill.

In the Martian he does LOTS wrong.