Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So, we know there are 2 basic forms of Isekai, you get transmigrated or you reincarnate. Right?
So, where do we put the pin on a reincarnated isekai? If the character remembers their past life as a baby, it is basically a continuation of the last life. If the character remembers in the middle of childhood, the person that was forming during childhood would likely be overwritten by the past life, leading to the original person with maybe some traces of the child.

Then we have the last case, the awakening during adulthood. This is what I find interesting, since the new person would be ingrained enough that a sudden influx of new memories would not necessarily change their whole character, it is far more likely that the case would be the New Person, but with memories of an alternate world, which in my opinion is a far more interesting idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that spectrum is mostly just for how well they fit in. if they have the complete set of memories, they are almost always the original person and not the reincarnated one or a mix of the two.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My own experience is that the later the awakening happens and the more sudden it happens, the more likely it is to just be a fantasy story that threw a few panels in to get that sweet isekai tag before moving on. I have liked it when a character somewhat established in their world already has some kind of personality shift, and that's a payoff on the author's effort when they are bothered to do it.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
There's also a third option as in Isekai Tensei Soudouki where the protagonist is a "native" kid with two additional souls from earth doing a ride-share in his head, sticking mostly to being corruptive influences advisers.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

LorneReams posted:

Thanks for the link, someone in the comments had the exact same question I did:

when I saw that comment I wondered if that might be the site you were looking at lol
Some of the ones that carry mostly manhua seem to have pretty rough translations, I was just assuming they were working in-house or getting the absolute cheapest translation service they could.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I guess I'm comparing it to something like TBATE where on some sites it looks like poo poo, but on Tapas it's Hi-Res and clean. I would assume if you are paying for something it would be a bit more...professional looking.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Tapas and Tappytoon always seem to be pretty decent, and Line Webtoons (which I think is the webcomic app) is an extremely mixed bag but seems legit and also a lot of artists upload stuff to there directly.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I wish more sites would use the Webtoons model, instead of the 'a couple chapters are free, all the rest have to be unlocked, making series seem expensive to get into, or demand weeks of you showing up to read 1 chapter a day, daily.'
Webtoons has it so that (atleast on the 1 series I've read through them: Eleceed.) all the chapters are free to read, except the newest 3, which are paid unlocks. Meaning that free readers are roughly a month behind. (Atleast for series they produce/localize themselves? Not entirely sure.)

It just feels like a lot more satisfying approach, because I don't mind paying to keep up with a series, but I pretty quickly lose interest when I encounter a series and there's just this giant wall of episodes I have to pay to unlock.(Extra so since many series need some time to hit their stride. )
I imagine it's probably because Webtoons is so insanely huge that they can afford to have a model like that though. (Whenever I check an Eleceed update like 1hour after it's gone live, there'll be hundreds of comments, meaning probably thousands of people immediately unlocked the chapter the moment it went live.)

A part of it is also just me being incredibly wary when a site rolls out some imaginary currency to obscure their prices, it just reminds me too much of mobile games and etc where they try to prey on kids and etc by separating the prices from actual money. I'd much much rather prefer a subscription or something instead.
(Even just a subscription with X unlocks 'free' each month, while additional ones would cost the site currency would make me feel a lot better about it.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Siegkrow posted:

So, we know there are 2 basic forms of Isekai, you get transmigrated or you reincarnate. Right?
So, where do we put the pin on a reincarnated isekai? If the character remembers their past life as a baby, it is basically a continuation of the last life. If the character remembers in the middle of childhood, the person that was forming during childhood would likely be overwritten by the past life, leading to the original person with maybe some traces of the child.

Then we have the last case, the awakening during adulthood. This is what I find interesting, since the new person would be ingrained enough that a sudden influx of new memories would not necessarily change their whole character, it is far more likely that the case would be the New Person, but with memories of an alternate world, which in my opinion is a far more interesting idea.

I've also read more than a few series where the new personality takes over as an adult and the old personality disappears completely, usually with the implication that they are actually technically dead from the head injury or whatever that triggered it. Often it starts with them waking up from a coma.

At least three of those have later had twists where the original personality was evil and instigated the soul swap on purpose for their own nefarious ends.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 21, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I was reading one a while ago where the original personality is still there but in a panic and “hiding” because everyone likes the new one better and the new one has to like, go and seek out the original in her own head to convince the original to integrate into her as a combined whole.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is there one where they do a Jekyll and hyde thing with it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Sorta kinda, The Holy Grail of Eris

Argue posted:

Ooh, just read that Eris one linked above and it's pretty cool; it starts off fairly typically, but then becomes a detective story! It's all about the ghost of the villainess working with some noble girl who can see her in order to investigate various figures in the aristocracy and figure out who killed her.

The MC starts off as kind of a polite doormat but the ghost of the villainess from like a century ago is floating around her since she's the only one who seems to be able to see her for now and she'll possess her to make her stand up for herself every so often.

Isekai Tensei Soudouki

This one's pretty unique in that the original person is still a character and has two more souls floating around in his head and they can assume direct control whenever they want. Or only when they get really fired up. I can't remember the specifics.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Mors Rattus posted:

I was reading one a while ago where the original personality is still there but in a panic and “hiding” because everyone likes the new one better and the new one has to like, go and seek out the original in her own head to convince the original to integrate into her as a combined whole.

I vaguely remember reading this one, but can't remember its name, what was it?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

SubNat posted:

A part of it is also just me being incredibly wary when a site rolls out some imaginary currency to obscure their prices, it just reminds me too much of mobile games and etc where they try to prey on kids and etc by separating the prices from actual money. I'd much much rather prefer a subscription or something instead.
(Even just a subscription with X unlocks 'free' each month, while additional ones would cost the site currency would make me feel a lot better about it.)

Coolmic is mostly smut comics so finding stuff to read there is kind of contingent on how much much you can deal with that kind of content but I like their practice of including the actual currency amount a chapter costs, most of them are like 45 cents. You can roughly figure out how much you're spending per chapter with some math of course, but it's nice they do it up front like that and are more transparent about it. They've also just started offering a subscription option. It would be nice if some of the others decided to follow their model.

e: I opened Tapas and did a bit of quick math and the random chapter of a webcomic I landed on was also around 45 cents to unlock, without the extra discount of using the mobile app. iirc Lezhin is more like 75 cents/chapter. In contrast unlocking a full manga chapter (using Renta's pricing as a model) is around $2/chapter, but you're arguably getting more content for your money.

either way, poo poo's expensive once you start adding it up and reading a lot :negative:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 21, 2021

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Everything Burrito posted:

Coolmic is mostly smut comics so finding stuff to read there is kind of contingent on how much much you can deal with that kind of content but I like their practice of including the actual currency amount a chapter costs, most of them are like 45 cents. You can roughly figure out how much you're spending per chapter with some math of course, but it's nice they do it up front like that and are more transparent about it. They've also just started offering a subscription option. It would be nice if some of the others decided to follow their model.

e: I opened Tapas and did a bit of quick math and the random chapter of a webcomic I landed on was also around 45 cents to unlock, without the extra discount of using the mobile app. iirc Lezhin is more like 75 cents/chapter. In contrast unlocking a full manga chapter (using Renta's pricing as a model) is around $2/chapter, but you're arguably getting more content for your money.

either way, poo poo's expensive once you start adding it up and reading a lot :negative:

Tapas is very easy to get enough free ink to unlock a bunch if you are willing to put in some effort. Enough to unlock an episode a day at the laziest (watch 30 videos), more if you want to do surveys or something. With the weekly free ink every Monday, I've never spent a dime on the site and am reading 15 series or so. Also, some are wait to unlock, where you push a button to unlock and it puts a timer where you can come back later for it, which seems fair. The interface is one of the best I've seen after going through some others. Nothing really beats (or beat) Manga Rock though for just ease of reading, but I know that's piracy, and all done.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah a lot of them have various ways to earn coins or offer free chapters; personally I'm lazy and impatient plus manga is more or less my single entertainment expense so I just pay up and try to pace myself so I'm not going too hog wild each month.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

given the length of some of the chapters that you can get on some of these the price seems like a bargain compared to buying them in ebook or physical form honestly

I mean renta prices definitely escalate pretty quickly but it usually seems reasonable for what I'm getting especially when what I'm getting is incredibly niche gay smut

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

It's not Isekai so much as it's a Quantum Leap + Time Travel story, but Shut Hell is roughly this idea from what I read of it.
Main character is a present day high schooler that after hearing a song played by a mysterious transfer student begins to inhabit the body of an 11th century warrior called "Shut Hell". She had recently been captured and hung, and he takes over her body from that point. There's no indication that her consciousness or soul remained behind but her anger and fighting prowess did and he can more or less allow that to take over when things get dicey in order to save himself and the others he's traveling with.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Siegkrow posted:

Personally I divide isekai into 3 groups: reincarnation/transmigration, summoning, and transference.

Reincarnation is basically what you describe; the character dies and shows up in another world either as a version of themselves (transmigration) or as another character (reincarnation)

Summoning is where some sentience (be it humans or a divinity or the will of universe) brings the character over. These stories usually feature a goal besides getting home, and the character is often given a number of "cheat" skills for this goal. This does overlap a lot with transmigration, but I think there are enough instances of people who just get yanked out of their normal lives to justify giving it a separate category.

Transference is where the character ends up in another world without the intervention of a sentient third party. This would cover things like being carried over by tornado, weird paths that lead you into the land of the fae, or just waking up inside a VRMMO. Getting home tends to be the major goal, and the character usually doesn't get any new skills in the process (though the MMO-types are usually pretty cheaty anyway).

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I vaguely remember reading this one, but can't remember its name, what was it?

I Won't Become a Villainess. I'm Just a "Normal" Duke's Daughter!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The MC starts off as kind of a polite doormat but the ghost of the villainess from like a century ago is floating around her since she's the only one who seems to be able to see her for now and she'll possess her to make her stand up for herself every so often.

Isekai Tensei Soudouki

This one's pretty unique in that the original person is still a character and has two more souls floating around in his head and they can assume direct control whenever they want. Or only when they get really fired up. I can't remember the specifics.

i never read the wn, but in the manga of soudouki it isn't clear how the personalities interact at all. stuff just happens, and that's the manga.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i never read the wn, but in the manga of soudouki it isn't clear how the personalities interact at all. stuff just happens, and that's the manga.

Yeah, the manga of Soudouki it's just, like...a bunch of poo poo combines into this horrible goblin of a person, things just happen.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

everythingWasBees posted:

given the length of some of the chapters that you can get on some of these the price seems like a bargain compared to buying them in ebook or physical form honestly

I mean renta prices definitely escalate pretty quickly but it usually seems reasonable for what I'm getting especially when what I'm getting is incredibly niche gay smut

the ones on renta where you can unlock a chapter for 48 hours for a dollar are pretty nice if you're planning to read them right away, especially if it's something you don't think you'll want to read again later or aren't sure is going to be worth buying permanently

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

RareAcumen posted:

Isekai Tensei Soudouki

This is great, they are both learning and growing from each other.

It’s a nice change from one personality being god and the other being a terrible one that gets ejected.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Based on nothing but appearance, Cultivator vs Superheroes makes me want a Sephiroth isekai.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are there isekai that start out with someone instead of going "wow cool vidya game world" goes "oh christ, oh gently caress, my entire worldview and beliefs system has just been shattered by a god approaching me and hurling me into an entirely different universe fundamentally different from my own aaaaaaaaa"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

Are there isekai that start out with someone instead of going "wow cool vidya game world" goes "oh christ, oh gently caress, my entire worldview and beliefs system has just been shattered by a god approaching me and hurling me into an entirely different universe fundamentally different from my own aaaaaaaaa"

does tanya the evil count though the belief system *doesn't* get shattered

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Captain Invictus posted:

I think that might be hard to find since we're talking about culturally Buddhist societies where reincarnation and polytheism are just common sense (even if you don't believe in them in life). Even multiple worlds is a part of Buddhist cosmology. It's like, if you are a Western atheist would you really be shocked to see the Pearly Gates after death? You'd just be like, "whoops, guess I was wrong about religion." It's something you are just culturally familiar with.

Maybe not so much the video game part I guess.

Although your prompt does remind me of one I've read recently where the isekaiee is a peasant girl from ancient Korea and absolutely nothing can convince her that she didn't end up in the Dragon Palace under the sea, even though it's a generic Western Fantasy world.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Clarste posted:

Although your prompt does remind me of one I've read recently where the isekaiee is a peasant girl from ancient Korea and absolutely nothing can convince her that she didn't end up in the Dragon Palace under the sea, even though it's a generic Western Fantasy world.
Link??

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

https://mangadex.org/title/46121/i-became-the-chef-of-the-dragon-king

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
What was that one isekai where a brother gets isekai'd into the buggy janky game after his sister breaks him over the head with a daruma.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

What was that one isekai where a brother gets isekai'd into the buggy janky game after his sister breaks him over the head with a daruma.

https://mangadex.org/title/14408/i-am-the-only-one-who-knows-this-world-is-a-game

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Wow I was pretty off. It's actually a mallet and it's his cousin.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

doomrider7 posted:

That one is fun because the game is so very janky so his cheat skill is just knowing all the jank and how to exploit it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

You were close enough that I immediately knew which series it was!

Kwyndig posted:

That one is fun because the game is so very janky so his cheat skill is just knowing all the jank and how to exploit it.

One of my favorite things about the web novel were the periodic excerpts from the game's wiki where you'd learn things like:

quote:

The Reason Behind a Lack of Stock (Quest)

This is a quest that is triggered when the player enters the item shop while level 20 or higher. The request is to procure 50 antidotes, which have been sold out, and while you could collect them normally, they could be bought like normal until level 19, so it is possible to clear the event the moment it is triggered if you buy 50 in advance. Who would have thought, the real reason it’s sold out was…

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

New Yakuza Reincarnation

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

doomrider7 posted:

Not *just* a mallet, like the other gags before it, its actually: Uchide no kozuchi

And depictions usually look like this:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Nemo2342 posted:

One of my favorite things about the web novel were the periodic excerpts from the game's wiki where you'd learn things like:

quote:

Q: The healer in my party leveled up, but their recovery magic did not become any stronger. Is this a bug?

A: It’s… not a bug, but how the system works. When leveling the healer, if they dealt the final blow with a physical attack, then even if their class is a healer, their physical statuses will be the ones to increase. Either try to deal the final blow with magic, or give up and treat healers as consumable items.

quote:

Rainbow Rain (Magic)

With an astonishing seven elemental types, it is one of the ultimate offensive magic spells.
With so many elemental types, it is sure to hit any monster’s weaknesses… but due to Nekomimineko’s system, if the monster is immune to any of the elemental types the final damage becomes zero, so it was rare to do any damage with it past mid game.
Has a very flashy effect. One of the four kings of lag.

quote:

Earth Grave (Magic)

Summons stone spears from the ground. Intermediate earth element spell.
Or it was supposed to be, but due to a mistake in the configuration it was treated as a physical attack. Extremely useful in the end game when enemies have many resistances. Magicians’ last hope. (Fixed in version 1.10)
All hope is dead.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
This is loving great and added to my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

lmao I knew as soon as I saw the "he's a pampered spoiled brat" line that he was going to confess to her because she kicked his rear end