Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Communism posted:

:hellyeah: Here's hoping your workplace is being good about it!

So far it's going ok! I talked with HR at least a month before I came out to my bosses. Right now I'm just waiting to hear back from the probate court so I can submit my paperwork and pay my court costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is correct. I just use a regular food processor because I’m never buying a robot coupe.

robocoup, hobart, instant pot, hoover, kleenex etc. I don't even know what brand my robocoup is.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If it was a robot coupe, you'd know.

There really is a separate tier for professional equipment and for home use some are worth the jump and some aren't.

For 98% of home users a cuisinart will do everything you'd use a robot coupe for. You'll save several hundred dollars.

On the other hand id recommend not buying a blender until you can afford a vitamix. You'll spend 100 extra dollars on the best blender manufacturered.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
True story. I was loyal to my Osterizer - until I got a vitamix pro 750. Now I can't imagine going back.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I spent a while checking out the vitamix offerings - are the newer models worth it or should I just save up for the basic workhorse?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you want a regular vanilla vita-mix stalk the goodwill auctions site. Sometimes you can catch a deal. My partner got one for like $50 and I got one of the really old chrome ones for $20.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Vitamix and the cheaper blenders might as well be entirely different appliances, I don't think there's a single kitchen thing I own that's quite such a night and day difference.

On top of used, you can find good deals on refurb ones. I think mine was like $200 canadian.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I made that fish finger bhorta last night and holy poo poo it was delicious. Thank you to whoever recommended it!

You're v. welcome! Another thing I've found out is that frozen spinach works just fine as long as you defrost+squeeze out most of the water. Fresh spinach was the only really perishable ingredient, so switching it out makes the whole thing makeable from store cupboard stuff.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Hawkperson posted:

I spent a while checking out the vitamix offerings - are the newer models worth it or should I just save up for the basic workhorse?

Future MiL sent up her 750 and I’ll never go back, dang. I used to have a bar boss and this thing smokes it on the regular, minus the weird pulse programming the BB had for frozen drinks.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Ok, yeah. I think I might save up for one of the ones that auto-detects the size of the blending container. It's got all the fancy buttons!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Pookah posted:

You're v. welcome! Another thing I've found out is that frozen spinach works just fine as long as you defrost+squeeze out most of the water. Fresh spinach was the only really perishable ingredient, so switching it out makes the whole thing makeable from store cupboard stuff.

I used kale just because that's what I had on hand and I think I like it better than I would spinach in this dish, holds up a bit better to all the other flavors.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I have a big rack of ribs, How do I cook them without going outside to freeze over the charcoal grille? Maybe an instant pot ?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cheese Thief posted:

I have a big rack of ribs, How do I cook them without going outside to freeze over the charcoal grille? Maybe an instant pot ?

Apply rub (or sauce, or hilariously thick-sliced onions) of your liking, wrap in foil, cook in a 250 F oven for 2-3 hours. When a knife slides easily into the meat, they're done.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sous vide

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Make these ribs

https://youtu.be/7ZT0_lOo3Yg

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

SubG posted:

What was the name of the pre whirled peas regular who used to melt the gently caress down whenever anybody talked about this?

Mommie Dearest? They liked a good meltdown.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tfw you makin white sauce for seafood pasta

and you realize you out of white wine, so you gotta use merlot

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rosé sauce

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

it’s more orange right now than pink. mostly cuz it’s a cajun sauce

tastes alright. I pretty much just dumped everything into the pan and mixed it around instead of following the recipe instructions though

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

angerbeet posted:

Miss that goon.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

angerbeet posted:

Nah, it was one of the regulars that cooked for a living and one of Mommie Dearest's meltdowns was over being a home cook. I want to say it was one of the regulars that got a callout thread from mindphlux. Magnetic?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

yo can I ask a couple garden questions here?

I’m about to need to prune some fruit trees and I could use some tips on how to do it right, since google shows a ton of confusing and conflicting info. I can post photos of the trees I need to prune and y’all can tell me where to cut.

EDIT: I can do this over PMs too, so there’s no thread derail.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 23, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I. M. Gei posted:

yo can I ask a couple garden questions here?

I’m about to need to prune some fruit trees and I could use some tips on how to do it right, since google shows a ton of confusing and conflicting info. I can post photos of the trees I need to prune and y’all can tell me where to cut.

EDIT: I can do this over PMs too, so there’s no thread derail.

Post here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951612&pagenumber=5#lastpost

Put like 2x as many pictures as you were planning

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I. M. Gei posted:

I pretty much just dumped everything into the pan and mixed it around instead of following the recipe instructions though

that's the gist of most recipes

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Step 1: chop an onion

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I can’t. Mods said I can’t post in HCH right now, and I really don’t want to talk about why because any time I think about it I get angry and when I get angry my posts stop making sense, but the short version is Kaiser Schnitzel is an rear end in a top hat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Whirled Peas 2: now accepting refugees from other craft forums.

For the citrus trees, there’s always citrus Twitter. It’s a real and terrifying thing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If you post a couple of pics, tell where you are and what the trees are, we can probably help a bit. No worries - we're all friends in this forum.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I am sure as hell not following this step.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you post a couple of pics, tell where you are and what the trees are, we can probably help a bit. No worries - we're all friends in this forum.

Alright sweet, thanks!

It’s 11:50 PM where I am right now, so I’ll post some pics tomorrow afternoon.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Review: I switched out the onion for 1 pkg onion soup mix (Hubbsy hates round food), and this baked onion recipe turned out just awful!

:argh: 1 star

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Alright, tree pics

For reference, I’m in east/northeast Texas, Zone 8B.

First up is this Redhaven peach tree.

Closeups of the branches since they’re a little tough to see in the pics above. All of this green has been there since before the tree was planted. Also don’t mind the worklight; I had to use it for something the other day.

I need to trim back a good bit of this growth. Peach trees are prone to growing out tons of weak branches instead of a few strong ones, so I need to cut back the weaklings. Also Redhavens in particular tend to have a spreading growth habit, and I’m hoping to graft another yellow peach variety or two onto this one, so I need to train it a bit to grow more up than out. I’ve read that peach trees are best kept pruned to a vase shape anyway, so that may work out for the better.

Next is this 2-in-1 cherry tree. The fork on the left is a Rainier cherry, and the center and right forks are Lambert cherry.

And last but not least are the apple trees. There’s a bunch of these, and they all look pretty much the same apart from being different varieties (all of which are zoned for 8B) and having varying degrees of green leaves still attached. I got pics of two of them (there’s 17 total); if I need to post pics of the rest then please let me know.

This is gonna be the tricky part. See these blue lines along the brick seam, just below the hunk of wood on the wall that shouldn’t be there anymore cuz it’s in the wrong place but I haven’t rented a recip saw to cut it down yet? The ones that are just slightly over 2 ft above the ground? Yeah... that’s the height I need to cut all of these trees down to.

I’m training these to grow as an espalier along the wall of our house. There’s supposed to be a trellis system attached to the wall behind them to facilitate this that isn’t finished yet, mostly because I got distracted taking care of these abandoned newborn kittens and just haven’t quite hopped back on the wagon yet amid COVID and poo poo, but when it’s done it’ll look something like this except way bigger:

I need to trim the apple trees down to the base forking height for this espalier, which is a little over 2 ft above the ground along the brick seam pictured above. Only problem is, the trees are all between 3.5 and 5 ft tall now, and trimming them down that far is gonna involve cutting off their entire existing canopies, which could kill them if done wrong. It IS doable (or at least I’ve been told it is); I just have to be careful how I do it so they don’t succumb to shock. I might have to cut them back in stages, and if so then I need to know what parts to cut and when (which’ll involve me having to post pics of the rest of them, but for right now I’d like to have a general idea of where to cut first, how long to wait before cutting again, etc).

I’m not necessarily planning to prune the apple trees immediately, since most of them still have a few green leaves left which may or may not indicate that they aren’t fully dormant yet (although maybe they are? I need to look that up).

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
For something that fraught and specific, you should just hire an arborist who cares about cool fruit trees. Getting them out to your house for the espalier should be the most expensive part, adding the easier peach and cherry trees should be a negligible amount extra. If you do it wrong and kill off the apples, you’re not only out the money for replacement trees, but a year or 2 behind on getting any actual fruit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone interested in a Russian cooking thread

I thought Russian food was just boiled meat, potatoes, pickles and beets, and now that I’ve made some I’m discovering that boiled meat, potatoes pickles and beets are goddamn good

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hutla posted:

For something that fraught and specific, you should just hire an arborist who cares about cool fruit trees. Getting them out to your house for the espalier should be the most expensive part, adding the easier peach and cherry trees should be a negligible amount extra. If you do it wrong and kill off the apples, you’re not only out the money for replacement trees, but a year or 2 behind on getting any actual fruit.

No way. Half the joy in this project is doing it myself. This isn’t like wiring where I’m in mortal danger if I gently caress something up.

Also I kinda doubt anyone in this area knows a lot about apple trees. Fruit trees or ag poo poo in general, yeah, but apple trees in particular, ehhhhhh.

Steve Yun posted:

I thought Russian food was just boiled meat, potatoes, pickles and beets, and now that I’ve made some I’m discovering that boiled meat, potatoes pickles and beets are goddamn good

I mean... if we’re coming up with new thread ideas, I’d rather have an Italian food thread and a new Mexican food thread. Also a new charcuterie thread.

A German food thread would be cool too. I think someone tried to start one of those awhile back but it didn’t take off.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 24, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Bob Wells Nursery in Mineola, TX (northeast) has 50 kinds of apple trees. If they don't have skilled arborists experienced with apple trees on staff, they can certainly direct you to them, and to ag extension centers that know a shitload about apples in TX (they exist).

GWS has zero experts on pruning apple trees in Texas. They have a bunch. Call them. https://bobwellsnursery.com/contact-us-bob-wells-nursery/

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Only if we make kvass.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

Alright, tree pics

In my opinion, your trees are pretty much too small to start effectively pruning. Hard to tell from the photos but maaaaybe one of the peaches will need a lower limb removed soon. Generally, though, I find that fruit trees will benefit from getting a bit fuller before you start using pruning to shape. My experience is with apples, pears, apricots, walnuts, and plums (and now lemons, since I moved south) in a very different climate from yours, though.

I second Anne Whately's post above. At this stage, consult the arborist. That doesn't mean they have to do the work for you, but they could tell you a few things more specific to that part of Texas that would be useful before you get cutting.

Steve Yun posted:

Yes absolutely. There is a ton of really delicious food from that part of the world and it's sorely underappreciated. There are few meals as nourishing as a bowl of schi and some black bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

I. M. Gei posted:

No way. Half the joy in this project is doing it myself. This isn’t like wiring where I’m in mortal danger if I gently caress something up.

Also I kinda doubt anyone in this area knows a lot about apple trees. Fruit trees or ag poo poo in general, yeah, but apple trees in

You’re probed again anyways, but you yourself said that you missed a critical period of this long term project because you got distracted. Cutting a tree down to below the first branching is going to be extremely traumatic for it if you do it right let alone wrong, thus the recommendation for expert help.

And really, no one in Texas knows anything about apple trees? People in Texas just didn’t know what apples were or how to grow them until you arrived? Get over yourself- this is some real Engineer Dad thinking.