Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Libluini posted:

You'd think so, but there are a lot of games (Lufia II) for example, with poo poo English localization but astonishingly high-quality German translation. Generally, you get as much out of a localization as effort has been put in.

There was also the issue where German games sometimes were directly translated from the original Japanese, not from an English script. (Also, :lol: at English being the "original" version of old Japanese retro games)

Well, original in terms of what we usually got, it's not like we got the japanese releases.

I agree on the part of good localization, after all, we naturally had a lot of literature translated, and a lot of it is really good - like the book series that is the theme of this thread. We're still waiting for the hardcover translation of Dance of Dragons, mind you (it's already been released as softcover) and the quality is really good. Another series that have gotten acclaim for their translations are Harry Potter and Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, which both have a lot of unique, made-up terms and names and the Finnish translations for them have been excellent as well.

But in terms of retro games? It would've probably been a rather pointless effort to translate Final Fantasy VII for such a small market. If we discuss RPG's, we didn't even get stuff like Chrono Trigger of FF6 released here officially, and translating something like NES games which didn't have much text would've been another pointless effort.

e: Although I will note that manuals were usually translated, which was probably a good thing (although it's probably also where my recollection of inferior translations comes from, since they weren't always very well translated)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TeaJay posted:

Well, original in terms of what we usually got, it's not like we got the japanese releases.

I agree on the part of good localization, after all, we naturally had a lot of literature translated, and a lot of it is really good - like the book series that is the theme of this thread. We're still waiting for the hardcover translation of Dance of Dragons, mind you (it's already been released as softcover) and the quality is really good. Another series that have gotten acclaim for their translations are Harry Potter and Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, which both have a lot of unique, made-up terms and names and the Finnish translations for them have been excellent as well.

But in terms of retro games? It would've probably been a rather pointless effort to translate Final Fantasy VII for such a small market. If we discuss RPG's, we didn't even get stuff like Chrono Trigger of FF6 released here officially, and translating something like NES games which didn't have much text would've been another pointless effort.

e: Although I will note that manuals were usually translated, which was probably a good thing (although it's probably also where my recollection of inferior translations comes from, since they weren't always very well translated)

Hey, that's interesting! On the German book market, you generally get the hardcover first, and the softcover version only comes months/years later. It's because the hardcover is more expensive, and thanks to the way German book prices are heavily state regulated, more profitable

Though book translation in general suffers the same problems as video games, I think. There's a neat Polish fantasy series I'd like to read, but for some reason the books were never translated into English or German, so that's simply not possible. Or the way the SF mega-series Perry Rhodan has seen 3000+ novellas (or 150+ books, if you only count the improved and re-edited book editions) released, but the amount of PR-stuff available in English is something like 4-6 spin off books and whatever your typical US-citizen could find by rummaging in their grandpa's attic. The number of failed English localizations is quite impressive, while on the opposite end of the spectrum, the Japanese localization has slowly made their way through 1/3rd of that insane number of published novellas.

So there are now people reading books I'll never get to experience in a country right next to us, while at the same time reading books in my natural language which are available in tons of languages, but unexpectedly not in English.

Edit: Another favorite of mine: Obscure Russian SF-novels which got a German translation, but not an English one.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

LOST was also of the era of 20 episode seasons so you had so much fuckin junk in there. LOST is still really good. I was pretty ambivalent about the finale but it’s still better than the dreck that whole last season GoT had. Their penultimate zombie battle episodes were so dark you couldn’t see anything.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

nine-gear crow posted:

Both Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones each have a very clear delineation mark for the point of no return of their quality: BSG's is ONE YEAR LATER, and GoT's is The Red Wedding. Once you cross those thresholds, both shows stop being categorically "good" and begin the unstoppable slides into flaming wrecks that obliterate their respective burgeoning franchises upon final impact.
I thought GOT was still excellent through season 4. The quality of the show dropped in direct correlation to quality of the books being adapted. Books 1-3 are great, 4 and 5 aren't exactly bad, but they are a bloated meandering mess. And once they had no books to adapt and were on to adapting bullet points written on a napkin stained with pepperoni grease, the show turned into a really bad joke.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

th3t00t posted:

I thought GOT was still excellent through season 4. The quality of the show dropped in direct correlation to quality of the books being adapted. Books 1-3 are great, 4 and 5 aren't exactly bad, but they are a bloated meandering mess. And once they had no books to adapt and were on to adapting bullet points written on a napkin stained with pepperoni grease, the show turned into a really bad joke.

And just like GRRM they realised they had written themselves into a corner, only they didn't have the luxury of not delivering.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Cavelcade posted:

Smug is the right word. They didn't understand why the Red Wedding was so effective - it wasn't just the spectacle, it was the payoff on a number of fronts, especially thematically and for individual character arcs.

Their themes-are-for-book-reports dismissiveness meant they'd never be able to reach that high again.

Not just the payoff it was also it's own buildup to something new. You can't read/watch something like the Red Wedding and not think something like "drat I cant wait to see the ramifications of this!"

Most of the later spectacles lost that. In large part because huge things like exploding the pope would happen with basically no ramifications.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Vichan posted:

And just like GRRM they realised they had written themselves into a corner, only they didn't have the luxury of not delivering.

Now I'm imagining a parallel reality where the series ended abruptly in a Sopranos-style ending just after they've run out of books. :allears: Better or worse then what we got?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Spek posted:

Not just the payoff it was also it's own buildup to something new. You can't read/watch something like the Red Wedding and not think something like "drat I cant wait to see the ramifications of this!"

Most of the later spectacles lost that. In large part because huge things like exploding the pope would happen with basically no ramifications.

This is something I feel like the show Red Wedding starts, actually, in one regard: Stannis cursing the usurpers. In ASoS, Balon dies like 100 pages later, which, OK, could be a coincidence. The Red Wedding hits less than 100 pages after that, and then the Purple Wedding less than 100 after that. It really aids the feel of "there are certainly logical reasons all of these things happened... but they did happen very shortly after the guy who seems to have magic on his side magically cursed them."

Meanwhile, in the show, they split the Red and Purple Weddings over the season break, which distanced the latter from the curses and dulled the impact a little, and then just let Balon outlive Stannis for no discernible reason (other than, you know, they didn't like Stannis and said he was "unquestionably terrible"). That to me is where the show really gets off the "actions have ramifications" train.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
LOST and GoT are pretty much opposite in that in the first they had no idea where to go with the plot, and in the other they knew exactly that (the infamous GRRM napkin bullet list) but no idea how to get there

So in GoT they just forced the story to arrive on those conclusions to get it over with and it somehow worked even worst than the LOST

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I mean they're not really opposites because both were narratives that had massive 'mystery box' type plots while being allegedly character driven, so you get these characters going from one place to another with the whole 'promise of resolution' hanging in the background for years and to no one's surprise in the end it was all just magic, of course it was, didn't we tell you that the show was all about the characters?

My point being that gurm writing "the ice elves lose" on a napkin isn't enough for GoT to claim to have a finished plot/

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I mean they're not really opposites because both were narratives that had massive 'mystery box' type plots while being allegedly character driven, so you get these characters going from one place to another with the whole 'promise of resolution' hanging in the background for years and to no one's surprise in the end it was all just magic, of course it was, didn't we tell you that the show was all about the characters?

My point being that gurm writing "the ice elves lose" on a napkin isn't enough for GoT to claim to have a finished plot/

Like the entire ending just lacks life like Sansa getting crowned is portrayed as a positive thing but there's not one named character there with her. Her own sister fucks off on a boat as soon as possible.

ruddiger posted:

He hasn’t finished this book either tho 🤔

Or did he finally finish She-Wolves of Winterfell?

He's said Dunk & Egg is on book 3/10 supposedly she wolves has stuff that would be spoilers so TWOW is coming first

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

SirKibbles posted:

Like the entire ending just lacks life like Sansa getting crowned is portrayed as a positive thing but there's not one named character there with her. Her own sister fucks off on a boat as soon as possible.

He's said Dunk & Egg is on book 3/10 supposedly she wolves has stuff that would be spoilers so TWOW is coming first

I sort of assumed the "real ending" is something like Blood Raven has more or less inhabited Bran and people are starting to suspect and Bran Raven possibly manipulates the situation with Dany so that she goes nuts and Sansa wonders wtf is going on and all the surviving Starks basically flee leaving Bran Raven in King's Landing and they start trying to figure out if they have to fight another war.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The last shot of Jon going north is good, but everything else about the final episode sucks a glistening Hodor. Arya and Sansa's "Wbat will we do next" talk is the cringiest, hackneyed thing that could have happened.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
Quite frankly, I would have been happy with almost every single aspect of that ending. Dany going crazy and Jon stabbing her? gently caress yes. Jon going North? Most fitting ending for him. Arya sailing the seas? Probably as good as it would have gotten. Sansa becoming Queen of the North? A bit of a stretch but sure. If it had been done as her wriggling that politically from learning from little finger? It could have definitely worked. Bran being King? All the seasons worth of footage of him suddenly make more sense.

The problem was a. Pacing b. Lack of setup and c. Bad writing. Going from killing zombies (in a I can’t see from it being so dark wtf?) to Kings Landing was awful. Awful pacing.

Dany going crazy did not have enough set up. And neither was making Bran king. Making Sansa Queen the way it was written? Seriously?. Why would anyone agree to that? The dumb as gently caress speech to make Bran king. Arya killing the night king. Cersei and Jamie. Going to pick up a zombie to try and talk Cersei into fighting the night king. Almost every “we finally saw each other after so long” scene. Bad writing. Bad bad bad writing.

The only explanation is that they got rid of every good writer they had and suddenly stopped giving a gently caress. I seem to recall a few scenes from early on the show which weren’t in the books and I thought were brilliantly written. Almost everything with Oberyn had good writing. Even the unrealistic Tywin and Arya conversations were very well written. It’s not that they can’t write something decent. It’s that for some reason they just stopped giving a gently caress.

They should have started planning for the ending the minute that Season 4 finished and scrap the whole Dorne nonsense. Or spend less time in Mareen. Or do a freaking time skip until the dragons got big and spent more time in the wall or setting things up.. Or gently caress it. They could have kept everything they had in until the last season and decide to separate themselves from the GRRM ending and write something decent instead.

Maybe have Bran kill the night king in order to make him relevant to the story instead of making him king. Literally almost anything above what they did. I think my 8 year old (had she been allowed to watch the show) could have written something better. It was crazy.

With that said, I’m one of the few that doesn’t join in on the GOT sucks big balls bandwagon. Or how the ending was the worst thing ever. Yes it did suck and was poorly written but since we’re never getting the books, I appreciated knowing how the books would finish, filling in the gaps myself and thinking “you know... given the way that the books were written, this could have actually been quite a great bittersweet ending”. I no longer list GOT on my greatest tv shows ever list or would insist that someone who has never watched it (almost no one) should watch it. But I still hold Seasons 1-4 in good esteem. People need to stop being so over dramatic. It’s just a tv show.

Edit: thinking about it, I think I’m actually glad that they didn’t write a fan service ending or detract from the napkin cliff notes they were given. Because even though those endings would have probably been better, we would have never known how the books would then and that would suck. At least now we know and can put it to rest. Imagine how much more painful waiting for the books that are never coming would be if we had no idea how they would end?

Kitiara fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 24, 2021

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The Battle of Winterfell and the Burning of Kings Landing should have been different seasons.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Ungratek posted:

The Battle of Winterfell and the Burning of Kings Landing should have been different seasons.

They should have lost at Winterfell only to win at Harrenhal.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

When was the last time GRRRUM wrote an episode? Because at least he was one dude who could tell the idiots in charge that their ideas sucked. There might have been no one like that left after he go out.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

genericnick posted:

When was the last time GRRRUM wrote an episode? Because at least he was one dude who could tell the idiots in charge that their ideas sucked. There might have been no one like that left after he go out.

Season 4.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

pseudanonymous posted:

I sort of assumed the "real ending" is something like Blood Raven has more or less inhabited Bran and people are starting to suspect and Bran Raven possibly manipulates the situation with Dany so that she goes nuts and Sansa wonders wtf is going on and all the surviving Starks basically flee leaving Bran Raven in King's Landing and they start trying to figure out if they have to fight another war.

Two scoops of ravens in Raven Bran

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can’t believe after all the Bran warging buildup, he never once did anything useful with it. Besides tell them Jon and Dany are siblings, I guess.

How do you not have him warg into a dragon? Or a pack of wolves? Or a bunch of zombies? Or loving anything. Jesus Christ

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

RCarr posted:

I can’t believe after all the Bran warging buildup, he never once did anything useful with it. Besides tell them Jon and Dany are siblings, I guess.

How do you not have him warg into a dragon? Or a pack of wolves? Or a bunch of zombies? Or loving anything. Jesus Christ

He warged into D&D and made himself king via hackneyed writing. :meta:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Did you read the book? I bought it, but never read it. Any good?

I've only read two of the three stories since I borrowed the book from my brother and then never finished but yeah, they're good. Dunk and Egg are my precious idiot boys.

Like, you might as well read the book anyway since you already have it tho

RCarr posted:

Bran warged everyone at the council that declared him king. That's why Yara and the unnamed Dorne dude just kinda forgot that they also wanted independence like Winterfell got

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

How can you forget HODOR?! Even in the books Gurm spent a lot of time on the wolves foreshadowing them being important only for most of them to die and not matter. I’d almost say it’s intentional to subvert expectations but I’m more convinced he was just lazy and stopped caring about them.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ghost and Nymeria are still quite important in the books tbf

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I think the only really unforgivable/inexplicable part of the ending is making Bran the king for no loving reason. All the other parts needed more setup to properly pull of, but there was no amount of setup possible that could have made Bran landing on the throne plausible, especially since as is it really reads like Bran basically foresaw everything that would happen from the end of Season 7 onward and used Jon's parentage as a weapon to drive Dany insane and get Jon to murder her thus removing every last obstacle from his path to becoming king.

What I'm saying is Brandon Stark is a monster and engineered a genocide. Prove me wrong.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

dinklage completely phoned in the “bran the broken” speech and it is painfully obvious he thought it sucked

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The whole cast knew the last season was bad. Those interviews before it dropped were hilarious.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think the only really unforgivable/inexplicable part of the ending is making Bran the king for no loving reason. All the other parts needed more setup to properly pull of, but there was no amount of setup possible that could have made Bran landing on the throne plausible, especially since as is it really reads like Bran basically foresaw everything that would happen from the end of Season 7 onward and used Jon's parentage as a weapon to drive Dany insane and get Jon to murder her thus removing every last obstacle from his path to becoming king.

What I'm saying is Brandon Stark is a monster and engineered a genocide. Prove me wrong.

Yeah the way D&D did it was atrocious. That story absolutely could have been made to work where they install him as a figurehead with little power, but you know, :effort:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Invalid Validation posted:

The whole cast knew the last season was bad. Those interviews before it dropped were hilarious.

Best season ever!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I am Conleth Hill, eternally throwing the script for 8x04 across the table in disgust and then hugging Gwendoline Christie for emotional support because it sucked that loving bad.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Stephen Dilane knew what's up from the get go.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That, or being utterly miserable and angry about working on/being associated with Game of Thrones is like god tier method acting for the character of Stannis Baratheon :v:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Homora Gaykemi posted:

the unnamed Dorne dude

This still hurts to read. Even the actor wasn't sure if he was supposed to be a Martell or not.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Stephen Dilane never understanding his character is so in character for Stannis as well.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I was really hoping there would have been more inside information on just how bad everything surrounding the last couple seasons were on set and with the actors, but it seems like all of them just kinda knew it was bad and phoned it in for their giant paychecks.

No one is asking any of them about it now because no one cares about it anymore.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

nine-gear crow posted:

That, or being utterly miserable and angry about working on/being associated with Game of Thrones is like god tier method acting for the character of Stannis Baratheon :v:

Ahh yes, the Tommy Lee Jones gambit, where your movie only gets better if it seems like he doesnt want to be in it.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was really hoping there would have been more inside information on just how bad everything surrounding the last couple seasons were on set and with the actors, but it seems like all of them just kinda knew it was bad and phoned it in for their giant paychecks.

No one is asking any of them about it now because no one cares about it anymore.

The actors had/have little to share about the last seasons I think because they have personal relationships with the showrunners, they've worked closely with them for years, they've achieved great success thanks to them, there's really no upside to them professionally or personally to speak honestly, publicly. I wouldn't choose to go on the record trashing my friends' obviously bad work. Maybe in a decade.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

indiscriminately posted:

The actors had/have little to share about the last seasons I think because they have personal relationships with the showrunners, they've worked closely with them for years, they've achieved great success thanks to them, there's really no upside to them professionally or personally to speak honestly, publicly. I wouldn't choose to go on the record trashing my friends' obviously bad work. Maybe in a decade.

This is kinda true for most productions.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ahh yes, the Tommy Lee Jones gambit, where your movie only gets better if it seems like he doesnt want to be in it.

Batman Forever, an already fantastic camp movie, is greatly enhanced by the knowledge that he just wants to reach out and strangle Jim Carrey to death, as is Men In Black III enhanced by knowing he's literally counting the seconds until he's replaced by Josh Brolin on screen. ...There's no saving Men In Black II though, that movie's garbage.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Actually, I take back what I said earlier about AFfC. I like the Jaime and Brienne chapters and also seeing how inept Cersei is at ruling. The Iron Islands and Dorne chapters still leave me cold, though.

Octy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
If they really wanted to only do the show in eight seasons, then I think the best way they could have done Daenerys was that she never makes it to Westeros. It would have been a twist on GoT's usual tragedy to see that after conquering this continent where she is beloved and deified by the majority of people that she rules, she still hates the idea of not sitting on her "proper" throne in a continent that she hasn't been to since she was a baby. So she just has to sit and be miserable over how much everyone loves her.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 26, 2021