Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Boxing Thread 2021: Noted pirate, abuser and drug cheat Sergey Kovalev

https://twitter.com/DanRafael1/status/1349760130901041153

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's a gimmick but still pretty satisfying

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CKKaatUhsfN/?igshid=mr3ju5pvlm97

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Canelo vs Avni Yildrim is supposedly set for 2/27 at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. Before anyone loses their poo poo: 1) Yildrim is the wbc mandatory 2)still a 3 month turnaround from the Callum fight

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The SituAsian posted:

Canelo vs Avni Yildrim is supposedly set for 2/27 at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. Before anyone loses their poo poo: 1) Yildrim is the wbc mandatory 2)still a 3 month turnaround from the Callum fight

Canelos gonna slap him.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i can't keep track: which weight class is this for?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

hexwren posted:

i can't keep track: which weight class is this for?

super middleweight

i don't know anyone who's excited for this or who wouldn't rather see canelo smack the poo poo out of saunders

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Declan MacManus posted:

super middleweight

i don't know anyone who's excited for this or who wouldn't rather see canelo smack the poo poo out of saunders

Turks?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Aleem-Pasillas should be interesting this weekend

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

super middleweight

It’s a Mando, and I’m fine with seeing Canelo ice a guy with a turn around this quick

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i know it’s mandatory, that doesn’t mean i have to like it :colbert:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That’s literally what mandatory means! You must enjoy it!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

That’s literally what mandatory means! You must enjoy it!

The Avni Yildrim and Vincent Feigenbutzes will continue until morale improves.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Fulton-Leo was superb tonight. Did not expect Fulton to pull away like he did in the latter half, just looked like the better conditioned fighter the deeper it went. Couldn’t put Leo on the canvas though, amazing chin. Both were excellent inside trading uppercuts, aggressive going to the body

Aleem outclassed Pasillas which I didn’t expect, figured it would be pretty evenly matched. Not the case at all

Rolly Romero looked good but Sparrow wasn’t the best competition, weird fight that’s not worth a rewatch

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
suddenly more interested in jake paul fighting conor mcgregor lol

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Jose posted:

suddenly more interested in jake paul fighting conor mcgregor lol

https://twitter.com/antontabuena/status/1353342617103323138

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Uhhhh

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKckF3JhFPY/?igshid=xpgopawy3713

Trying to find another source

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They've been talking about this for a bit.

Conventional wisdom would have Pacquiao as the favourite, but there's plenty of reasons to worry about that. Pacquiao has not been very active, he's been increasingly involved in his career out of the ring, he's 42, etc. Garcia has a defence and that can be exploited, but you can't overlook a young fighter with the physical toolset he has. I think it has the makings of a banger though. Both guys are offensively minded and Garcia has some heart.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

alright that kinda rules

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The subject of Tyson came up a whole ago with people saying he wasn't all that and never fought anybody and poo poo. That may be the case but I went back and watched some documentaries on him and gently caress if he just didn't lose it at some point. Watch his early fights. The head movement, the hand speed, the raw power and how difficult he was to hit. In the early films, you can hear Cus constantly telling him to move his head.

Dude was the real deal and a generational talent who just got hosed around for a lot of reasons. When he started losing,it wasn't really that he was facing better fighters, it was that he was no longer fighting the way that made him successful. At some point (around the Don King period), he stopped the head movement, ring control, leverage, combinations and just started to load up one shot.

Go watch his fights in succession and you can see in real time him forgetting everything he ever learned, especially defense and putting punches together. I think when he was 22 he could have beat anybody.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

They've been talking about this for a bit.

Conventional wisdom would have Pacquiao as the favourite, but there's plenty of reasons to worry about that. Pacquiao has not been very active, he's been increasingly involved in his career out of the ring, he's 42, etc. Garcia has a defence and that can be exploited, but you can't overlook a young fighter with the physical toolset he has. I think it has the makings of a banger though. Both guys are offensively minded and Garcia has some heart.

It appears we may have been had

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1353784108527321088?s=09

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 26, 2021

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Incredibly stupid imo

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Mr. F! posted:

Incredibly stupid imo

Not even top ten worst fights this year I fear

https://twitter.com/jakepaul/status/1354084456273993734?s=19

Edit: It does confirm what Chael Sonnen tweeted out a few weeks ago and it seems logical that if Jake beats Askren then he would have a match against Dillon Danis and if he wins that, finally Conor McGregor. God help us all if Jake Paul were to somehow win that.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 26, 2021

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Incredible

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

look, if you’re gonna box, you gotta risk some brain damage

i don’t make the rules

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Declan MacManus posted:

look, if you’re gonna box, you gotta risk some brain damage

i don’t make the rules

Yeah but I shouldn’t get brain damage from watching boxing

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
In non freakshow fight news (shocking coming from me I know) the two top welterweight prospects, Vergil Ortiz Jr. and Jaron 'Boots' Ennis are scheduled to be in pretty significant step up fights against Maurice Hooker and Sergey Lipinets respectively. Either winning definitely would put them in the back end of the top 10 at the division for sure and both would be on track for huge fighters later on in the year though more likely that would be Ennis because of network allegiances even though-as far I know-Ennis not yet with Al Haymon.

https://twitter.com/GoldenBoyBoxing/status/1354459214299734019

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1354186030497341441

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 28, 2021

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1354906800550678529

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

i cannot believe how fast canelo has cleaned out all these divisions. this is literally the last fight on my personal list of people i think he should have fought.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
losing only to mayweather and ggg twice is quite an achievement.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Fun bit of sparring to watch between Canelo and Valdez. Very controlled, very professional

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKb3ZDElvfl/?igshid=1cfukgvapasuv

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

hope Canelo beats the absolute piss out of him

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

There’s a don king show tonight that is 100 percent going to be a complete shitshow

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

There’s a don king show tonight that is 100 percent going to be a complete shitshow

The ghost of Fres Oquendo strikes again!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jump King posted:

I read about this and my first thought was “poo poo, Don King is still alive?”

Apparently it’s only going to have a couple actual fights, and the rest of the show will be classic King-promoted fights like Trinidad-DLH and JCC Sr’s first loss.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Troy Queef posted:

I read about this and my first thought was “poo poo, Don King is still alive?”

Apparently it’s only going to have a couple actual fights, and the rest of the show will be classic King-promoted fights like Trinidad-DLH and JCC Sr’s first loss.

Apparently the main event with be Trevor Bryan-Bermane Stiverne for some God forsaken WBA secondary belt

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Apparently the main event with be Trevor Bryan-Bermane Stiverne for some God forsaken WBA secondary belt

Well, originally famed WBA heavyweight Manuel Charr was going to fight on the card, but he appeared to make no effort to actually appear on the card and on this very day the WBA declared him their champion in recess, so Bryan and Stiverne will be fighting for the chance to challenge him.

If you're not already familiar with all these names and Fres, trust that this is the very funny closing act to one of the dumbest chapters in heavyweight boxing.

Beibut Shumenov was also originally intended to be on the card.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

Well, originally famed WBA heavyweight Manuel Charr was going to fight on the card, but he appeared to make no effort to actually appear on the card and on this very day the WBA declared him their champion in recess, so Bryan and Stiverne will be fighting for the chance to challenge him.

If you're not already familiar with all these names and Fres, trust that this is the very funny closing act to one of the dumbest chapters in heavyweight boxing.

Beibut Shumenov was also originally intended to be on the card.

I mean AJ is the WBA 'super' champion so I guess they're now declaring their secondary 'world' champions in recess as well :waycool:

As I said in a previous thread many years ago I'm not even mad. You just have to hand it to the WBA for being able to get a cut of the purse of every boxing match that happens anywhere in the world.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh man stiverne thinks this isn’t a fixed fight

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

Oh man stiverne thinks this isn’t a fixed fight

https://twitter.com/RyanGarciaP4P1/status/1355373953821368320?s=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
So what's the deal with Stiverne? Way past his prime and hanging on by his toughness? The Bob Sapp of boxing? What do we got here, assume I don't know anything about anything, because that's probably true.