Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think my general opinion is that i dont necesarrily object to the idea but the execution has gone incredibly overboard in ways actively detrimental to my enjoyment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Volume 0 of Jujutsu Kaisen has been added to the Shonen Jump/Viz vault!

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I didn't even want to spoiler tag anything when I posted about FC3 just in case, but now that there's some discussion about it going on I'll share my thoughts.

I reread part of the manwha after finishing and there are a lot of panel drops indicating that it wanted to go in this direction from the very beginning - the protagonist's clearly traumatized and has been since the story started. The plot has also been feeding us typical shonen cues while prepping a darker story in the background, what with Maria's similar trauma (ie what happened when she hid in the closet), past participation in lethal combat sports, and generally what few details we've gleaned about the MC's father. I don't think we'll be able to appreciate the current arc until after it's done - I agree that we're probably at the nadir and only going to go up from here, and I somewhat suspect we'll get a flashback fleshing out parts of what caused the abrupt transition. If you pay attention, the MC's height increases at different points in the story, between the beginning and starting to prowl the streets to beat on thugs, and again prior to this tunnel arc, suggesting to me that there have been at least a few minor timeskips, even if he's bulking crazy hard crazy quickly while going crazy because it's still a shonen manga.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the tonal shift is somehow a product of increasing pressures on the author or something and there's always a chance that it was just rushed. The degree to which it goes out of its way to be over the top is quite telling though, in my opinion, at least in a story that so far hasn't been very clumsy about foreshadowing and the information it gives out about what's to come. I think the protagonist is trying to fake it so hard he's induced some serious psychosis in himself.

I myself am not really a fan of the current shape the story's taken, but I would rather judge it when we can see the whole plot unfold. I also seriously respect the balls it takes to make that sharp turn towards seinen territory.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 20, 2021

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I'm a bit confused about some things in this.
  • Is Okkotsu still a Special Grade Sorcerer, or is he weaker now because he doesn't have Rika anymore?
  • Geto claims that there are four humans considered Special Grade, but shouldn't there actually be six? Geto himself, Noritoshi Kamo (the guy possessing Geto in the main storyline), Satoru Gojo, Okkotsu, Tsumiki Fushiguro, and Master Tengen. I guess Kamo was assumed to be dead at the time? Does Master Tengen not count because his (or her?) powers aren't directly combat-oriented, or because he's not really human anymore?
  • Also, does he mean there are only four in the world, or just only four in Japan? In the main storyline Okkotsu is studying overseas, so we know that there are Jujutsu Sorcerers and Curses outside of Japan, but I don't think we know much about them.
  • I think we're meant to assume that Gojo killed the real Geto at the end and left the body lying there for sentimental reasons, so Kamo took over Geto's corpse. At least, that's how the wiki seems to interpret it. Is that correct?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

• Is Okkotsu still a Special Grade Sorcerer, or is he weaker now because he doesn't have Rika anymore?
  • Geto claims that there are four humans considered Special Grade, but shouldn't there actually be six? Geto himself, Noritoshi Kamo (the guy possessing Geto in the main storyline), Satoru Gojo, Okkotsu, Tsumiki Fushiguro, and Master Tengen. I guess Kamo was assumed to be dead at the time? Does Master Tengen not count because his (or her?) powers aren't directly combat-oriented, or because he's not really human anymore?
  • Also, does he mean there are only four in the world, or just only four in Japan? In the main storyline Okkotsu is studying overseas, so we know that there are Jujutsu Sorcerers and Curses outside of Japan, but I don't think we know much about them.
  • I think we're meant to assume that Gojo killed the real Geto at the end and left the body lying there for sentimental reasons, so Kamo took over Geto's corpse. At least, that's how the wiki seems to interpret it. Is that correct?

Four Special Grade Sorcerers alive was the thing. Tengen is not really human anymore and may also not be considered a special grade, like there is nothing suggesting that Tengen is strong. Kamo has long been thought to be dead, and he is, as the Geto Imposter is not Kamo, Kamo is just another body the Geto Imposter has used.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 20, 2021

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Four Special Grade Sorcerers alive was the thing. Tengen is not really human anymore and may also not be considered a special grade, like there is nothing suggesting that Tengen is strong. Kamo has long been thought to be dead, and he is, as the Geto Imposter is not Kamo, Kamo is just another body the Geto Imposter has used.

I was about to ask where you were getting that from, but then I realized that Kamo having the same forehead markings as Geto could be taken to imply that whoever the main villain actually is implanted his brain in Kamo's body the same way. But you could also interpret it as the forehead markings being a magical mark of Kamo's identity rather than scars from physical brain surgery.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Silver2195 posted:

Er, you mean Yuki Tsukomo rather than Tsumiki Fushigoro right? Tsumiki is Megumi’s sister that’s in a coma from a curse.
Also Vol 0 was basically a one-shot wasn’t it? So some of the info might not be true in the main series. Notably Geto’s personality is a bit different in Vol 0

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Given that the events of Volume 0 are regularly referred to in the main series I think it's fair to consider it all canon as written

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

Er, you mean Yuki Tsukomo rather than Tsumiki Fushigoro right? Tsumiki is Megumi’s sister that’s in a coma from a curse.
Also Vol 0 was basically a one-shot wasn’t it? So some of the info might not be true in the main series. Notably Geto’s personality is a bit different in Vol 0

Yeah, I meant Yuki.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tosk posted:

I think the protagonist is trying to fake it so hard he's induced some serious psychosis in himself.

This is my read on things. The protagonist hates fighting, so feeling pushed into a corner where he's "forced" (or at least thinks he is) to beat up people is driving him mad. Maria is also a terrible influence on him (though it's hard to blame her given her own experiences/trauma). Ha-min fortunately had the Kyokushin girl as a positive influence that made him stop going crazy (which is good since that guy is one of the best sources of humor in the comic - the "Ha-min tries to figure out why Maria thinks the protagonist is sexy" chapter was hilarious), but the protagonist unfortunately has Maria influencing him.

edit: I disagree with the comparison someone made between Maria and Ranna from Rokudou, though; Ranna is portrayed as genuinely being some sort of bizarre demon person outside of the influence of Rokudou's ability, while Maria obviously has an actual personality and forms some degree of actual bonds with people, even if her trauma and goals take precedence.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 21, 2021

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I disagree with the comparison someone made between Maria and Ranna from Rokudou, though; Ranna is portrayed as genuinely being some sort of bizarre demon person outside of the influence of Rokudou's ability, while Maria obviously has an actual personality and forms some degree of actual bonds with people, even if her trauma and goals take precedence.

To be clear I just meant that they go into the same little weird gremlin mode.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Ytlaya posted:

This is my read on things. The protagonist hates fighting, so feeling pushed into a corner where he's "forced" (or at least thinks he is) to beat up people is driving him mad. Maria is also a terrible influence on him (though it's hard to blame her given her own experiences/trauma). Ha-min fortunately had the Kyokushin girl as a positive influence that made him stop going crazy (which is good since that guy is one of the best sources of humor in the comic - the "Ha-min tries to figure out why Maria thinks the protagonist is sexy" chapter was hilarious), but the protagonist unfortunately has Maria influencing him.

Haha yes, that chapter was great. The one where Ha-min goes absolutely all out against Maria was also fantastic, even though I would have liked for the author to have him push her a little more than he did, as opposed to reinforcing that Maria is untouchably elite compared to the characters who haven't gone through serious poo poo. Ha-min being saved also sets him up as an interesting foil to the protagonist. Whenever they return to school it's going to be insane to see the whiplash when people see how the MC has changed and what he's going to do to pretty much all of his classmates if they were to fight at this point.

I haven't read Rokudou, does it receive a recommendation from this thread?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1352375495774629891

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Over/under 12 chapters before it gets axed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jagged Jim posted:

Over/under 12 chapters before it gets axed.

Lmao

Matsui has 2 critically acclaimed series that got anime in Neuro and AssClass.

I doubt it's canceled that quickly.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 22, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Wasn't rear end Class generally considered pretty good? I never read it

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

rear end class did the unthinkable of mangaka going 'this story has a finite end and a finite time limit' and stuck to it along with having a way satisfying ending and also making its weird wtf wacky second half reveal be actually super cool. The only stumbling point I recall just dealt with s B plot involving a parent figure that didn't really get resolved because it was too dark for SJ so it got dropped

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

rear end class did the unthinkable of mangaka going 'this story has a finite end and a finite time limit' and stuck to it along with having a way satisfying ending and also making its weird wtf wacky second half reveal be actually super cool. The only stumbling point I recall just dealt with s B plot involving a parent figure that didn't really get resolved because it was too dark for SJ so it got dropped

It did get resolved in a "the parent realized they were being lovely and came around in like 5 chapters thing". They had the conversation and that was that.

It's pretty much the only mistep in the series.

People should read Assasination Classroom. It's one of the best jump manga of the past decade.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

I was about to ask where you were getting that from, but then I realized that Kamo having the same forehead markings as Geto could be taken to imply that whoever the main villain actually is implanted his brain in Kamo's body the same way. But you could also interpret it as the forehead markings being a magical mark of Kamo's identity rather than scars from physical brain surgery.
False Geto outright said that Kamo was but one of the many identities he has been known as over the years.

RatHat posted:

Yes indeed Geto's personality is different. Because the Geto in the main series is a different Geto then the one in vol 0.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't believe they passed on the opportunity to serialize F-Ken

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes indeed Geto's personality is different. Because the Geto in the main series is a different Geto then the one in vol 0.

I mean different from the flashback Geto. I guess he did make a life changing decision between then but he still feels too different of a character. Well it doesn’t matter now since he’s dead(mostly).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

I mean different from the flashback Geto. I guess he did make a life changing decision between then but he still feels too different of a character. Well it doesn’t matter now since he’s dead(mostly).

The Geto from volume 0 is the direct result of the Star Vessel flashback so there really isn't a discontinuity there. Things like his unwillingness to kill younger shaman were already shown in that incarnation.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Dexo posted:

It did get resolved in a "the parent realized they were being lovely and came around in like 5 chapters thing". They had the conversation and that was that.

It's pretty much the only mistep in the series.

People should read Assasination Classroom. It's one of the best jump manga of the past decade.
neuro was better

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Relin posted:

neuro was better

Neuro is older than a decade.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
elusive samurai is really weird, as is to be expected.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Matsui is still weird given the instantaneous flips from whimsy to incredible violence/death.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Elusive Samurai has my interest! Good art, unconventional protagonist, funny priest. This was basically all prologue, so I'm curious to see what it looks like chapter-to-chapter. Reminds me that I need to go back and finish AssClass.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tosk posted:

Haha yes, that chapter was great. The one where Ha-min goes absolutely all out against Maria was also fantastic, even though I would have liked for the author to have him push her a little more than he did, as opposed to reinforcing that Maria is untouchably elite compared to the characters who haven't gone through serious poo poo. Ha-min being saved also sets him up as an interesting foil to the protagonist. Whenever they return to school it's going to be insane to see the whiplash when people see how the MC has changed and what he's going to do to pretty much all of his classmates if they were to fight at this point.

I haven't read Rokudou, does it receive a recommendation from this thread?

I don't think that the protagonist is going to return to class at all until his "going insane" arc is mostly resolved. I expect that to happen throughout the arena fights he's about to start.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
With the mention of the Heian period in this week’s Jujutsu Kaisen I wonder if the Geto imposter is going to be Abe no Seimei, who has been body hopping for a thousand years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

elusive samurai is really weird, as is to be expected.

Definitely got tonal whiplash at the "and then everyone was killed" scene. Especially the part about how the typical shonen love interest character was violated and murdered.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RatHat posted:

With the mention of the Heian period in this week’s Jujutsu Kaisen I wonder if the Geto imposter is going to be Abe no Seimei, who has been body hopping for a thousand years.

god, i hope not. it's always loving seimei.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I could swear the geto impostor was revealed within the past few chapters

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think Geto implied that the person he was accused of being was just an identity he assumed in the past (ergo, one of his many bodies over the years) and not his actual, original identity.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

He got revealed the same chapter Gojou got sealed. His exact identity was a mystery until a couple chapters ago.

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

Ha the new Kemono Jihen update with Kon's back story comes out at basically at the same time as she's introduced in the anime lol. And with some of the most violently adorable panels, good lord.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

god, i hope not. it's always loving seimei.

Hey, sometimes it is Nobunaga instead.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

En Family Mook posted:

Ha the new Kemono Jihen update with Kon's back story comes out at basically at the same time as she's introduced in the anime lol. And with some of the most violently adorable panels, good lord.

I cannot wait for someone to take Inari down. She is such a hateable villain and she's not even that competent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she has power, avarice, and a complete lack of morals or empathy. she'd probably do fine in human society even without the mind control.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Detective manga has turned for the (even more) horridly cliche
I audibly groaned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Detective manga has turned for the (even more) horridly cliche
I audibly groaned

The dolphin one? People are still reading it???