Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do feel the Wolves have softened a bit since the Heresy. The perspective of them going from ruthless butchers to defenders of humanity by virtue of everything else getting that much worse has merit but I do think that, under Grimnar at least, the Space Wolves have had a change of heart. They're never going to be the outright altruists that the Salamanders manifest, but the Wolves know what is right and what is wrong and they do what they have to.

I watched a really good video the other day discussing themes present in Norse mythology and paganism, particularly focusing on the meaning of courage and heroism. The idea is that mankind is ephemeral and that being in the side of right is not the side that wins, because its not about winning. The night will fall eventually, but heroism comes from those who, either by choice or by circumstance, stand their ground and fight for good when their backs are to the wall.

I think that really embodies the Space Wolves. They're not nihilistic crusaders like the Black Templars who fight and kill because that is what they were made for. The Wolves fight because it is the right thing to do. It's not a matter of victory, it's a matter of moral certainty and doing your best in the face of inevitable defeat, and that is where mankind finds honour. And you don't let others down or dismiss them because they're not superhuman killers. The moral certainty to do the right thing and stand up to the enemies of mankind isn't exclusive to the Space Wolves, so they get along better than most with regular humans.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I forget the exact words but Lorgar poo poo talks Magnus and the Thousand Sons with their scientific and rigid approach to the warp and says this also-

D-Pad posted:

The warp is emotion made manifest so intent matters.

it's no wonder they all get turbo hosed like with the Rubric curse.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Thousand Sons were literally summoning daemons to serve as familiars from day one.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

wiegieman posted:

The Thousand Sons were literally summoning daemons to serve as familiars from day one.

They were unaware as Bug Daddy Dumb Dumb never told them about Chaos.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I think the thousand sons are interesting because they demonstrate what happens when you try to take a purely scientific approach to the Warp. You can consider it just an exotic part of the galaxy and the warp entities there just a unique form of life that adapted like extremophile bacteria to their home. You can measure warp energy like any other fundamental force and study it. You can harness it through practice and diligent research, performing “sorcery” by rigidly following directions in a book. All that stuff works. And if you do it that way you end up completely hosed and ruined because that’s not what the warp is, it absolutely has a spiritual dimension, the chaos Gods are not just large energy anomalies but Gods.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

notaspy posted:

They were unaware as Bug Daddy Dumb Dumb never told them about Chaos.

Except for that if intent matters than being ignorant or just willfully ignoring chaos is actually a fairly good strategy.

Like if you can just go "Well actually im drawing on a world spirit and I don't believe that Chaos gods exist/have any influence on this process" and have it work/be safer than the Emperor was kinda right.

This issue is when you start probing poo poo and it doesnt add up so you dig deeper. Or you know, you listen to the weird warp predator things you keep summoning to dust your books.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 24, 2021

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Do the Thousand Sons ever increase in number? any new rubric marines being created?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Telsa Cola posted:

Except for that if intent matters than being ignorant or just willfully ignoring chaos is actually a fairly good strategy.

Like if you can just go "Well actually im drawing on a world spirit and I don't belive that Chaos gods exist/have any influence on this process" and have it work/be safer than the Emperor was kinda right.

This issue is when you start probing poo poo and it doesnt add up so you dig deeper. Or you know, you listen to the weird warp predator things you keep summoning to dust your books.

I mean, I like Magnus and think he's the only really tragic traitor primarch but he was also like a tiny idiot babby when it came to the warp. "Oh you want to give me a key to this gate my father erected? Thank you kind warp presence who is surely benevolent!" is a hell of a way to go through life.

Also speaking of Marines and brutality for the sake of it, I just finished Dante and Devastation Of Baal and at the end it seems like Robute is saying it's long past time for chapters to stop letting their home worlds be feudal/deathworld hellholes under the guise of "recruiting the strong" which would be a very interesting change.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Benagain posted:

Do the Thousand Sons ever increase in number? any new rubric marines being created?
They can make new ones from captured marines (I think) and they can tear the souls of the old destroyed ones from the warp and shove it back in new armor.

If you're a strong enough sorcerer you can just collect the dust and put it back in the armor.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Guyver posted:

They can make new ones from captured marines (I think) and they can tear the souls of the old destroyed ones from the warp and shove it back in new armor.

If you're a strong enough sorcerer you can just collect the dust and put it back in the armor.

Arhiman going around with a shop vac, hoovering up marine dust bunnies before upending the vac into an empty suit of armor.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Guyver posted:

I have an extremely vague memory of a sorceror in some story, possibly Ahriman himself, doing some warp magic on a bunch of M41 Imperial marines and pretty much instantly turning them into Rubric marines. Whether this was some form of soul-binding shenanigans or just burning out the armour and shoving the soul of a brother from the warp in :shrug:

Heck, maybe it never happened at all or was fanfiction. I have literally no memory of where I saw it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My take is that Space Wolves and psychic powers is that they're hypocrites who think their magic is better than your magic, but also are extremely good at sniffing out corruption in their rune priests and dealing with it before it becomes an issue

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
So, someone on B&C posted the Dramatis Personae for Mortis, and uh...nobody from the Legio Mortis appears to be on it. Having no idea whatsoever about the plot, this does not give me much hope that it advances the story.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

My take is that Space Wolves and psychic powers is that they're hypocrites who think their magic is better than your magic, but also are extremely good at sniffing out corruption in their rune priests and dealing with it before it becomes an issue

i believe space wolves are like dogs and just sort of do things arbitrarily

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

von Metternich posted:

So, someone on B&C posted the Dramatis Personae for Mortis, and uh...nobody from the Legio Mortis appears to be on it. Having no idea whatsoever about the plot, this does not give me much hope that it advances the story.

Presumably Mortis will be portrayed as the big evil enemy and the main Titan perspectives will be from the loyalists. Or perhaps the Mortis titans are just now full of goo rather than crew and as such won't have a perspective? I don't think that's reason to write off the book. French is one of the better authors anyway.

Also unless they've given Gav Thorpe any more novels (lol) the last 3 Siege of Terra novels after Mortis will be by Wraight, ADB and then I would assume Abnett for the final novel. Wild speculation but hopefully that'll make for a strong finish now they've gotten the novels by worse authors out of the way.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Like if you can just go "Well actually im drawing on a world spirit and I don't belive that Chaos gods exist/have any influence on this process" and have it work/be safer than the Emperor was kinda right.

Until you get depression or go to a rave or something and then boom, demons everywhere.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man the preorder of Abnett's final SoT book is going to melt the data center that GW uses. I can't wait to see how he writes that ending, assuming he does.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

So, does he reunite with his shard?

No.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Man the preorder of Abnett's final SoT book is going to melt the data center that GW uses. I can't wait to see how he writes that ending, assuming he does.

I have faith in him to pull it off, even if he's notorious for rushed endings and has now been given the ending of endings to any BL fiction.

Fury of Magnus spoilers:

I really didn't connect to the lofty stuff in this novella. The military business and the interplay between the various Astartes characters previously established has been the strongest stuff in the better SoT novels. Here the Astartes characters weren't strong enough to carry the events that happened. But then that's probably an issue with the story here anyway.

Here the fight between Vulkan and Magnus just felt a bit...DBZ. Does that seem reductive? It doesn't help that he's wrapping up the arcs of some of Kyme's Salamander characters, who I forgot existed each time they appeared in a new novel of story.

The perpetual stuff just felt like shuffling a character that was 'spare' out of the story. Rezzing Malcador didn't really feel like it had a point other than to make Magnus feel a bit guilty.

All in all if this is the last bit of input McNeill has on the Heresy it can only be a good thing. His heart just doesn't seem to be in it anymore.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

We’re all assuming that Abnett will write the final SoT book because he’s far and away the most competent writer they employ, but it’s possible that it’ll be someone else because black library doesn’t always seem to recognize the varying quality of their stable of authors and gives out assignments to people regardless of their level of skill. witness them assigning galaxy in flames, an incredibly pivotal book featuring one of the most important events of the heresy to ben “soul drinkers” counter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Abnett has gotten better at endings. Anarch had a wonderful ending.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

We’re all assuming that Abnett will write the final SoT book because he’s far and away the most competent writer they employ,

That's debatable. I think Chris Wraight is easily the best they got at the moment.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I think all 3 could pull it off, but it's got to be Abnett right? He launched the thing, and he is The Black Library Guy. Also pretty sure ADB is deep into his own Siege book as his socials have been pretty quiet and secretive about what he's currently writing so unless he's doing two books I don't think he'll be doing the last one.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Telsa Cola posted:

This is, at least 2 books in but not expecting it to change, Fabius Bile's strategy with daemons. They are non sentient, emotion inspired energy manifestations who imitate real consciousness. It really pisses them off and he's important and successful enough that I think the chaos gods are quietly cheering him on because they are dicks to all their followers.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Biplane posted:

That's debatable. I think Chris Wraight is easily the best they got at the moment.

I rate ADB over both of them however he's a pretty slow writer as well.

Edit: How long is Fury of Magnus? 13€ for an ebook novella seems a bit too pricey.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 24, 2021

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MrNemo posted:

This is, at least 2 books in but not expecting it to change, Fabius Bile's strategy with daemons. They are non sentient, emotion inspired energy manifestations who imitate real consciousness. It really pisses them off and he's important and successful enough that I think the chaos gods are quietly cheering him on because they are dicks to all their followers.

Time to quote that scene again:

quote:

‘Its jurisdiction extends far beyond your ability to conceive, alchemist. You have committed crimes of such monstrous elegance that even the gods themselves grow uneasy. Look – see – they sit in judgement of you.’ A too-long finger drifted upwards, and Fabius followed the gesture. He looked up, and something looked down.

It was not a face, for a face was a thing of limits and angles, and what he saw had neither. It stretched as far as his eyes could see, as if it were one with the whole of the sky and the firmament above. Things that might have been eyes, or distant moons or vast constellations of stars, looked down at him, and a gash in the atmosphere twisted like a lover’s smile. It studied him from an impossible distance, and he felt the sharp edge of its gaze cut through him, layer by layer. There was pain, in that gaze, and pleasure as well. Agony and ecstasy, inextricable and inseparable.

With great effort, he tore his gaze away. ‘There is nothing there,’ he snarled, his teeth cracking against each other. His hearts stuttered, suddenly losing their rhythm. He pounded at his chest, as internal defibrillators sent a charge of electricity shrieking through him. The chirurgeon flooded his system with tranquillisers, and he tapped shakily at his vambrace. A secondary solution of mild stimulants joined the tranquillisers, stabilising him. He ignored the urge to look up. There was nothing there. Nothing at all. ‘There is nothing there,’ he said again, tasting blood. ‘There are no gods. Only cold stars and the void.’

The pressure increased. Something whispered, deep within him. It scratched at the walls of his mind, trying to catch his attention. He ignored it. ‘No gods,’ he repeated. ‘Random confluence of celestial phenomena. Interdimensional disasters, echoing outwards through our perceptions. I think, therefore I am. They do not, so they are not.’ He met the Quaestor’s bland gaze unflinchingly. ‘Gods are for the weak. I am not weak.’

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Chaos has always interested me because if Slaanesh can be born, does that mean Chaos Gods can die? Surely anything that is created can be unmade?

At the same time, if it's all just willpower/mind over matter, then surly the Eldar could just wish that Slaanesh has no claim to their souls? But that doesn't seem to work which means there is some element of the Warp and Warp entities that is objective and beyond even the most powerful psykers in existence.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Chaos has always interested me because if Slaanesh can be born, does that mean Chaos Gods can die? Surely anything that is created can be unmade?

At the same time, if it's all just willpower/mind over matter, then surly the Eldar could just wish that Slaanesh has no claim to their souls? But that doesn't seem to work which means there is some element of the Warp and Warp entities that is objective and beyond even the most powerful psykers in existence.

Except Eldar are way way way too deep into the whole "God-like Warp entities exist and have power over us" for that to be feasible, being arguably created to think just that with their own pantheon.

Also it's kinda hard to constantly wish/mentally exert effort when you are dead, which is when Slaanesh does the soul slurping.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 25, 2021

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The whole Space Wolf take on psykers has always felt really forced to me. Even the Thousand Sons believed their Tutelaries were just benign, helpful warp-manifestations or expression of psychic theorems, so just cloaking warpcraft in some fantasy or folklore should not help. If some planet started worhipping Khorne but painted the offered skulls golden and called him the Militant-Emperor, it would be alright? Belief conquers all, right?

Thematically, I know that runecasters and such are part of the myth, and in-game magic has to be a thing available to most factions even if some of them have well-established lore saying that well, they shouldn't.

But when you make that a big part on why a Legion splits, they should have been more careful. As it is, it reminds me of the story of the sultan that fell in love with a french sparkling wine, but when confronted that alcohol was not allowed in his faith, just decreed that this particular wine was 'french mineral water'.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arquinsiel posted:

I have an extremely vague memory of a sorceror in some story, possibly Ahriman himself, doing some warp magic on a bunch of M41 Imperial marines and pretty much instantly turning them into Rubric marines. Whether this was some form of soul-binding shenanigans or just burning out the armour and shoving the soul of a brother from the warp in :shrug:

Heck, maybe it never happened at all or was fanfiction. I have literally no memory of where I saw it.

Yeah it was Ahriman and he was trying to cure the "flesh-change" which was chaotic mutations. Anyone who wasnt a psycher got zapped. If you look at it as mutations being gifts from Chaos, trying to send them back to the Chaos gods is a poor decision that got the response of "Oh, you dont like it? Then how about no flesh at all!"

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Yeah it was Ahriman and he was trying to cure the "flesh-change" which was chaotic mutations. Anyone who wasnt a psycher got zapped. If you look at it as mutations being gifts from Chaos, trying to send them back to the Chaos gods is a poor decision that got the response of "Oh, you dont like it? Then how about no flesh at all!"

Also it cost Ahriman his face.

Not like "ruined his looks", nope- dude has a full-on gaping hole where his face should be.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Magnus, you little poo poo.

Immanentized posted:

Also it cost Ahriman his face.

Not like "ruined his looks", nope- dude has a full-on gaping hole where his face should be.

I think one of the authors (maybe ADB, not sure) sorta-debunked that theory. There's a discussion somewhere with the author about whether or not that comment was meant to be taken literally, and the answer was "maybe".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sephyr posted:

If some planet started worhipping Khorne but painted the offered skulls golden and called him the Militant-Emperor, it would be alright? Belief conquers all, right?

They'd probably be friends with the Blood Angels, yeah.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

My son was asking me if there were any good 40k graphic novels. Suggestions?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sephyr posted:

If some planet started worhipping Khorne but painted the offered skulls golden and called him the Militant-Emperor, it would be alright? Belief conquers all, right?

*Gestures widely at like, a third of Imperial forces *

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Pershing posted:

Damnation Crusade.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Deff Skwadron

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MariusLecter posted:

I don't mean the original Rubric, I mean just like, on a Tuesday in 988 M.41 Ahriman is doing some minor housekeeping when a squad of Black Templars kicks down his front door, and he just sort of shrugs and BAM, they're Rubric Marines now. It's entirely possible this was fan fiction

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't mean the original Rubric, I mean just like, on a Tuesday in 988 M.41 Ahriman is doing some minor housekeeping when a squad of Black Templars kicks down his front door, and he just sort of shrugs and BAM, they're Rubric Marines now. It's entirely possible this was fan fiction

According to the Codex, no.

There have been no new rubric marines since the rubric was cast. However, they are functionally immortal and indestructible. You can smash one to pieces and scatter the dust to the four winds but a powerful enough psycher can pull them back together and have them as his thralls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pershing posted:

Only read the first issue but I like what I've read of the new Calgar comic. I think its still coming out though.