Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffSharlet/status/1349589258735128576

Has nobody explained to Johnny Rico over here what the Nazis did to people in wheelchairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't know the exact details of what happened here, but the AZ Republican Party has been about as rabidly pro-Trump as any, and Kelli Ward just got Trump's endorsement and played a video of it, but apparently some lunatic Trumpers were still mad at her and tried to disrupt the meeting. If and when the Republican Party does rid itself of Trump, I think a lot of the "normal" Republicans who'd be ready to go back to business as usual, and even some of the shameless grifters who tried to ride the wave of his popularity, are going to be alarmed when they find out his radicalized base is going to keep on being crazy without him.

https://twitter.com/TheEdgePHX/status/1353067415819612165

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 24, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kith posted:

there's like eight different potential conversations to strike up from that source, which one are you referencing?

That people don't talk about the fact that Bernie has the privilege to sit there like a curmudgeon while women and especially minority women often have to pretend they feel one way when they really feel another because there's repercussions for being emotionally honest for those people, and this takes labor.

It's less a criticism of Bernie and more a statement about white male privilege, and pretty true.

vvvv Might be, but people can talk about things besides mittens.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 24, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think it’s the mittens as the reason that Bernie photo went viral.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jaxyon posted:

That people don't talk about the fact that Bernie has the privilege to sit there like a curmudgeon while women and especially minority women often have to pretend they feel one way when they really feel another because there's repercussions for being emotionally honest for those people, and this takes labor.

It's less a criticism of Bernie and more a statement about white male privilege, and pretty true.

hard nah

the pulp of that conversation is "it would be unacceptable for a woman to do the same thing!" and then whoops, turns out janet yellen did the exact same thing and nobody got up in arms about it

i guess you could try the follow-up tactic of "women are pressured to smile and be pretty all the time, men should have to as well" but that's actually "it's fair for me to demand that others suffer as i have" in a lovely disguise and i hope i don't need to explain to you why that's a garbage opinion for garbage people

in conclusion:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's actually a completely poo poo take

also it's no coincidence that it was specifically bernie that got targeted with this rhetoric, hope this helps

Kith fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 24, 2021

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It was Bernie because that picture was loving everywhere all the day of the inauguration, you couldn't open your twitter feed without seeing it a dozen times, and the entire point of the picture was 'grumpy old man' meme.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

there definitely isn't a history of terminally online liberals attacking bernie for every conceivable imagined slight, you are correct

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kith posted:

hard nah

the pulp of that conversation is "it would be unacceptable for a woman to do the same thing!" and then whoops, turns out janet yellen did the exact same thing and nobody got up in arms about it

oh poo poo that totally disproves the fact that women regularly have to do the exact thing mentioned in that tweet. It turns out that emotional labor isn't real

quote:

i guess you could try the follow-up tactic of "women are pressured to smile and be pretty all the time, men should have to as well" but that's actually "it's fair for me to demand that others suffer as i have" in a lovely disguise and i hope i don't need to explain to you why that's a garbage opinion for garbage people

actually the point of that was to mention the fact that women are reguarly required to do that, i doubt that person actually is saying that simply to make other people suffer.

quote:

also it's no coincidence that it was specifically bernie that got targeted with this rhetoric, hope this helps

It's no coincidence because it's a massive meme and everywhere and people use major cultural touchstones for examples to make points

i for one am shocked that a bunch of people are mad about a slight towards noted cinnamon roll bernie and care more about defending his honor than trying to understand

Kith posted:

there definitely isn't a history of terminally online liberals attacking bernie for every conceivable imagined slight, you are correct

lol do you think this is an attack on bernie

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 24, 2021

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Dude, shut the gently caress up about Bernie. He's a tired, cold, useless old man forced to watch a rapist who voted against desegregation and a cop who got power by literally enslaving innocent people of color take hold of the presidency and knowing he helped them to do it because he believed the alternative was worse.

Don't try to pretend he's oppressing women or whatever lib nonsense you're stuck on.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Screaming Idiot posted:

Dude, shut the gently caress up about Bernie. He's a tired, cold, useless old man forced to watch a rapist who voted against desegregation and a cop who got power by literally enslaving innocent people of color take hold of the presidency and knowing he helped them to do it because he believed the alternative was worse.

Don't try to pretend he's oppressing women or whatever lib nonsense you're stuck on.

I'm a leftist who loves Bernie and nobody is accusing him of oppressing anybody.

I'm done here, it's not the right thread to have this conversation and nobody is bothering to try and understand.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
We understand, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jaxyon posted:

I'm a leftist who loves Bernie and nobody is accusing him of oppressing anybody.

I'm done here, it's not the right thread to have this conversation and nobody is bothering to try and understand.

it absolutely is the right thread to have a conversation about it, we're Debating and Discussing the context and interpretation of the image in the D&D Pictures Thread

though for future reference you don't need to make up an excuse to exit the thread after getting pushback for your poo poo take, you're allowed to stop posting quietly

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/y2k_mindset/status/1353164700293476352?s=21

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That image slightly bothers me only because he never banned anime, rather there was a huge event where a bunch of pedos posting loli poo poo and whatnot were banned from SA and they migrated to 4chan, so the small domino should be "Pedos perma'd from SA"

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That image slightly bothers me only because he never banned anime, rather there was a huge event where a bunch of pedos posting loli poo poo and whatnot were banned from SA and they migrated to 4chan, so the small domino should be "Pedos perma'd from SA"

yeah although bernie really should have banned all anime imo

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kith posted:

it absolutely is the right thread to have a conversation about it, we're Debating and Discussing the context and interpretation of the image in the D&D Pictures Thread

though for future reference you don't need to make up an excuse to exit the thread after getting pushback for your poo poo take, you're allowed to stop posting quietly

Oh if that's how you're going to play it, I'm happy to continue posting here.(yes I'm aware that was the intent of your bait)

Do you want to engage with it, or did you just show up to defend the honor of Bernie?

I'm not sure how "women frequently have to pretend to be feeling one way instead of another, due to patriarchy, and that is emotional labor" is at all controversial but if Bernie's involved there's really no stance that's too defensive, huh?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Oh if that's how you're going to play it, I'm happy to continue posting here.(yes I'm aware that was the intent of your bait)

Do you want to engage with it, or did you just show up to defend the honor of Bernie?

I'm not sure how "women frequently have to pretend to be feeling one way instead of another, due to patriarchy, and that is emotional labor" is at all controversial but if Bernie's involved there's really no stance that's too defensive, huh?

Did you miss the part where that tweet was scolding him for not faking excitement? It wasn't just pointing out that men can get away with being grumpy more, it was calling on him to do some "emotional labor" because first black/asian female VP blah blah blah

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

thekeeshman posted:

Did you miss the part where that tweet was scolding him for not faking excitement? It wasn't just pointing out that men can get away with being grumpy more, it was calling on him to do some "emotional labor" because first black/asian female VP blah blah blah

Yeah it's using a very popular meme to mention the fact that women have to do that.

Do you think she specifically thought Bernie was going to listen to her and do that?

I also like how you threw in the black/asian female VP part even though that's not in the tweet.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Reading this thread is emotional labour now.

#solidarity
#feminism

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Kamala is cop, why celebrate her?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

Kamala is cop, why celebrate her?

ehh

little girls growing up right now will never know a time when a woman wasn't elected to national office
same indian people etc

You don't have to like everything about a person to celebrate something about them

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Turns out policy matters a fuckton of a lot more than identity though. Obama's presidency really should've taught that lesson.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

Turns out policy matters a fuckton of a lot more than identity though. Obama's presidency really should've taught that lesson.

The identity of the VP isn't policy because they don't really do anything on their own anyway. It's all identity.

Trying to get a different demo on the ticket has been a thing for quite a while now

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah it's using a very popular meme to mention the fact that women have to do that.

Do you think she specifically thought Bernie was going to listen to her and do that?

I also like how you threw in the black/asian female VP part even though that's not in the tweet.

Again, she wasn't saying how bad it is that women have to do it, she was scolding Bernie for not doing it. She specifically wanted him to dance like a monkey and be happy, because she wants to be happy about this, and by this she definitely means first female VP.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jaxyon posted:

hell yes the knives are out

alright buddy let's break down the sentence. do a little Writing Analysis here

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1352634003115954176?s=20

gonna bold the relevant parts for your convenience, because i love you

quote:

I love Bernie, really I do, but sir: emotional labor is not beneath you.

its directly addressing bernie. literally and actually. those words are pronouns, and those those mean something: "these pronouns are referencing the aforementioned specific person"

which happens to be: Bernie Sanders

this is not about Feminist Critique Of Emotional Labor. this is lashing out at Bernie Sanders using Feminist Critique as a cover to do so. this has happened before and it will happen again, and it's incredibly telling that you don't see it for the transparently disingenuous justification that it is - especially when every single defense of these actions has been torn apart with ease because they all suck. the only good faith interpretations of your take are that you're incredibly gullible or you've completely memory-holed every democratic primary that Bernie has participated in and are unwilling to do any kind of research in response to the pushback you have recived from multiple posters saying that you have a poo poo take

also lol @ "defending the honor of bernie". i'm just capable of pattern recognition and loling that you are not, don't try to make it more than what it is

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Bloop posted:

ehh

little girls growing up right now will never know a time when a woman wasn't elected to national office
same indian people etc

You don't have to like everything about a person to celebrate something about them
lol hmmm yes we should overlook all the families she destroyed and be excited on this day

Your basically doing the "more 👏 poc 👏 women 👏 drone 👏 operators" thing. you expect Bernie to look past that and be excited? Or me? Or any normal person? The whole inauguration was some elite pagentry bs. Why should any of them smile? Why should you smile about it?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

We should also celebrate John Marshall for all his contributions to law. But only that part of his life

No, don't look under that tarp, there's nothing worth celebrating and thus considering under there.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Have you considered shutting up?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The Bloop posted:

The identity of the VP isn't policy because they don't really do anything on their own anyway. It's all identity.

Trying to get a different demo on the ticket has been a thing for quite a while now

Really? The previous two Dem tickets failed at having a different demo?

Like poo poo I think you've achieved your goals multiple times now but whoops everything still sucks maybe your goals weren't all that useful?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 25, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jerrysaltz/status/1353732519225675779?s=20

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

lol hmmm yes we should overlook all the families she destroyed and be excited on this day

No we should realize that different people have different priorities and overlapping complex goals and interests and maybe give people a few minutes to celebrate things that are important to them without blasting WELL ACTUALLY diarrhea all over them instantly

Orange Devil posted:

Really? The previous two Dem tickets failed at having a different demo?

Like poo poo I think you've achieved your goals multiple times now but whoops everything still sucks maybe your goals weren't all that useful?
I have no idea what any of this means or what it has to do with my post you quoted

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Bloop posted:

No we should realize that different people have different priorities and overlapping complex goals and interests and maybe give people a few minutes to celebrate things that are important to them without blasting WELL ACTUALLY diarrhea all over them instantly

I have no idea what any of this means or what it has to do with my post you quoted
Got it, your in favor of the libs and cops so long as they're brown, because having brown authoritarians means society is progressing or something to you

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kith posted:

hell yes the knives are out

alright buddy let's break down the sentence. do a little Writing Analysis here

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1352634003115954176?s=20

gonna bold the relevant parts for your convenience, because i love you

its directly addressing bernie. literally and actually. those words are pronouns, and those those mean something: "these pronouns are referencing the aforementioned specific person"

which happens to be: Bernie Sanders

this is not about Feminist Critique Of Emotional Labor. this is lashing out at Bernie Sanders using Feminist Critique as a cover to do so. this has happened before and it will happen again, and it's incredibly telling that you don't see it for the transparently disingenuous justification that it is - especially when every single defense of these actions has been torn apart with ease because they all suck. the only good faith interpretations of your take are that you're incredibly gullible or you've completely memory-holed every democratic primary that Bernie has participated in and are unwilling to do any kind of research in response to the pushback you have recived from multiple posters saying that you have a poo poo take

also lol @ "defending the honor of bernie". i'm just capable of pattern recognition and loling that you are not, don't try to make it more than what it is

LOL at all of this. Because somebody critiqued Bernie in the most minor way numerous posters, like you, came out of the woodwork to explain how terrible this was and how terrible it is that I think she has a point.

I think there's a good conversation to be had there about how Bernie gets away with a general grumpy demeanor in ways that many women can't. Of course she's directing at him, because she's using him as an example. And it's entirely possible to have a feminist critique of Bernie's behavior, out of a general frustration with having to do emotional labor. Without being part of a conspiracy from Big Lib.

But go on with your sentence deconstruction, if you get into enough semantics nobody at all will notice your dismissal of a feminist critique

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s a candid picture of an 80 year old man sitting in the cold during the middle of winter. Jesus Christ, there’s no “conversation” to be had.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/blmtrain/status/1353037902087921664?s=21

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 25, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s a candid picture of an 80 year old man sitting in the cold during the middle of winter. Jesus Christ, there’s no “conversation” to be had.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sure there is, and it can be as simple as "yeah it's true women do sometimes have to do emotional labor that men do not" and left at that, but that wasn't ever going to happen here.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

god i love this website

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jaxyon posted:

Sure there is, and it can be as simple as "yeah it's true women do sometimes have to do emotional labor that men do not" and left at that, but that wasn't ever going to happen here.

that's not a conversation, you knob. that's you being desperate for someone to pat you on the back and say "great post, OP!" as if your surface-level reading of yet another obvious bad faith attack on someone is praiseworthy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jaxyon posted:

Sure there is, and it can be as simple as "that sure is an old man doing a relatable thing" and left at that, but that wasn't ever going to happen because it's Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

Got it, your in favor of the libs and cops so long as they're brown, because having brown authoritarians means society is progressing or something to you

I wasn't talking about myself, but I'll talk about you: You're an idiot and/or an rear end in a top hat. Guessing "and"