Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

RodShaft posted:

I thought all old star wars sets were like 3 pieces you stuck together tops.

Someone on a Lego Facebook group was posting their Slave I collection and one of the commenters assumed the original Slave I was the OP's lovely MOC :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I had that lovely set and loved it, although I could tell Fett's helmet was a bit crap.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
The sales keep trickling in to support me purging my collection. Today I got to take apart the Aqua Dozer and Sea Scorpion as they were sold.

https://brickset.com/sets/2161-1/Aqua-Dozer

https://brickset.com/sets/6160-1/Sea-Scorpion

Very thankful that both sets had all of their pieces since I'm still not very organized with my sorting and it'd be a pain to find replacement pieces right now. Selling can be bittersweet for me. I would have preferred to keep them in my collection, but the collection is just too big to justify keeping sets I don't absolutely love. I was looking at the boxes on my shelf and may have realized that I may be getting rid of my Hogwarts Castle set (https://brickset.com/sets/71043-1/Hogwarts-Castle). While I do love the set, it's just too big. I've got a set of instructions for a smaller Hogwart's from Project Bricks back when it was on BrickLink before Lego bought it and got rid of everything. Going to have to wait for Hogwarts to get discontinued before I sell it of course.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Sloppy posted:

Someone on a Lego Facebook group was posting their Slave I collection and one of the commenters assumed the original Slave I was the OP's lovely MOC :v:

Oh wow, that is....something else.

When did you all notice the shift in design from blocky designs like that, to what we have now? Coming back to it in 2020 after 2010 wasn't as different as it was after taking a break from 1997 to 2010.

Was the change gradual, or did it come pretty much right away that it blew people away?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My completely unresearched opinion is that the current lego aesthetic started when the curved slopes were introduced, around 2010. Obviously there were precursors, like the cheese wedge (2004) but it was those smooth slopes being commonly available that really launched the all SNOT all the time look.

The selection of travis brick variants and the studded brackets were other major players.. all that stuff came out roughly from 2008 to 2013 and lego has been making more variants of them every year since.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

2000:

2002:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
My feeling is that it was fairly fast, over maybe five years in the early 2000s. As others have said, that's when the curved slopes/panels and all the variations of brackets and Travis bricks were introduced. I'd say Exo Force from 2006 was one of the first themes to really use that kind of style consistently.

It was similar with Technic. Up to the 90s, Technic models were brick based and used a lot of System parts. In the mid-late 90s the studless beams were introduced and slowly started being used more and more until they were the entire model. I think the Star Wars Technic sets from 2000 were the first to use entirely studless construction:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I had the 3 technic droids they made at the time (that one, the battle droid, and the pit mech) - but that roller droid never quite functioned correctly for me.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think the change started to feel really visible around 2006 when they began making remakes of the Star Wars sets, things changed really rapidly.

After that point until maybe 2012 things didn’t visually change so much, but generally got a lot more solid and less likely to fall apart. Also way more things based around technic and plates; look at the 2006 Sandcrawler or 2007 MTT for instance compared to the new ones; they both still look okay, but just so much more brick built than anything you’d get now.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!
One that stands out to me as having improved through new parts and building techniques is the standalone John Hancock Center in the Architecture Landmarks line vs. the same in the Chicago Skyline set. The standalone, even though it's at slightly larger scale, is blockier than the Skyline version and doesn't look much like the real thing. It also falls apart if you breathe on it.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Oxyclean posted:

I think I had the 3 technic droids they made at the time (that one, the battle droid, and the pit mech) - but that roller droid never quite functioned correctly for me.

I don't think it functioned right for anyone, I had a friend with one and it was a crapshoot as to whether the droid would unfold if you rolled it or not. It could definitely use a redesign.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Laugh all you want, that set was cool as hell when you were a 10-year old kid. Lego has absolutely spoiled you with curves and wedges in the 20 years since.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
That sort of stuff blows my mind, I keep thinking Lego getting Star Wars was pretty recent like 2010 at most.

Barracuda Bay arrived, I’m overjoyed it’ll have a skeleton. Also they packed an ice rink even though it wasn’t on the order along with the free fire chopper. Neat! Gonna start building it together with a buddy over Zoom who’s got the flowers on his end.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

BuckT.Trend posted:

One that stands out to me as having improved through new parts and building techniques is the standalone John Hancock Center in the Architecture Landmarks line vs. the same in the Chicago Skyline set. The standalone, even though it's at slightly larger scale, is blockier than the Skyline version and doesn't look much like the real thing. It also falls apart if you breathe on it.

Heh, reminds me of the terrible first Burj Dubai. Stacks of cylinders that didn’t look much like the tower at all. Which also broke if you looked at it wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zwille posted:

That sort of stuff blows my mind, I keep thinking Lego getting Star Wars was pretty recent like 2010 at most.

Barracuda Bay arrived, I’m overjoyed it’ll have a skeleton. Also they packed an ice rink even though it wasn’t on the order along with the free fire chopper. Neat! Gonna start building it together with a buddy over Zoom who’s got the flowers on his end.

With the high price threshold on the ice rink GWP, I fully expect to see a bunch of them for sale in stores next holiday period.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

davebo posted:

We did the police station modular over the past two nights. Fun build, although I really would have preferred anything but a police station. At least it had a cute story behind the crook. Not sure I want to bother opening the classic car though if I'm still not able to find the Diner. I check both the website and the local store inventory twice a day but nothing so far.

I know in my heart of hearts that I’ll probably wind up getting this, but I think it’ll MOC out very well into a Field Museum with some display cases up against the wall and dino skeletons in the center of the room on the first floor, medieval armor sets with swords on the wall, and mummies/sarcophagus on the second floor, and crystals/gems display with some neanderthals and plants on the third floor. Could even do a trans blue tile waterfall down the wall with some rocks and plants at the bottom. Some finishing touches could be to put lion statues out front flanking the stairs in lieu of the stairs.

Library is a good second choice for conversion, but last years set was a book shop and I’ve already got a libarry modular, so I think Field Museum it is!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This one kicked rear end because it was the one set I could actually build myself with my own parts just from one photo in LEGO Maniacs magazine.

The colors didn't match ofc and I didn't have anything transparent for the bottom half of the window, but 11-year-old-me felt pretty clever and accomplished.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

OSU_Matthew posted:

Library is a good second choice for conversion, but last years set was a book shop and I’ve already got a libarry modular, so I think Field Museum it is!

Is that library your own? It’s really nice. I don’t know if lego would ever do something like that, but it’d be a treat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter loves making bookshelves full of 2x2 tile books, she would flip out for that

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Target has Mega Constux Giant Eevee for $18.49 if anyone is interested - https://www.target.com/p/mega-construx-pok--233-mon-jumbo-eevee-construction-set/-/A-79447180

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Those glass balcony guards are inspired. So simple.

e: and the hand rails on the front steps.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 26, 2021

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Laugh all you want, that set was cool as hell when you were a 10-year old kid. Lego has absolutely spoiled you with curves and wedges in the 20 years since.

I love old chunky Lego sets and even by those standards that set is just....rough. I totally would have loved the hell out of it as a kid too though.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter loves making bookshelves full of 2x2 tile books, she would flip out for that

Lego should have hired your daughter for designing the book store, imo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

Twas ever thus:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Awww :3

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
What’s the deal with those non minifig people? I have one that is just a little guy with a head and body, no limbs.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
They're the pre-minifig ones from the 70s. I have some sets from then and they're the missing link between the big people and true minifigs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had the parts on my desk and instead of concentrating on the work I need to do, I got a brain worm on that lego design and had to have a go at it.This is very important research!

None are close to perfect, the bottom one is the closest but the brick math doesn't work out and the cornice is not all on the same plane.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

OSU_Matthew posted:

I know in my heart of hearts that I’ll probably wind up getting this, but I think it’ll MOC out very well into a Field Museum with some display cases up against the wall and dino skeletons in the center of the room on the first floor, medieval armor sets with swords on the wall, and mummies/sarcophagus on the second floor, and crystals/gems display with some neanderthals and plants on the third floor. Could even do a trans blue tile waterfall down the wall with some rocks and plants at the bottom. Some finishing touches could be to put lion statues out front flanking the stairs in lieu of the stairs.

Yeah, it's a good museum base, and i think that's the way I'm gonna go with it. It's a better build than corner garage and bookshop.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

I had the parts on my desk and instead of concentrating on the work I need to do, I got a brain worm on that lego design and had to have a go at it.This is very important research!

None are close to perfect, the bottom one is the closest but the brick math doesn't work out and the cornice is not all on the same plane.
Are these attempts to do the Disney castle thing legally? I love that. I'd probably just build that whole section of the wall sideways so you could center it with jumper plates, which is probably most like your third example.

edit: also for those interested, remember we're streamin' at 7PM on Tuesdays now, so ~4 hours out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I was trying to make the illegal assembly legal. My main criteria was making sure the top and bottom plates (the grey 2x6's in my photo) were in the same spot in relation to each other. Two of them do that, the other one is off a half stud because of jumpers.

Your design does mean to attach it to anything on the bottom you're gonna have to use a tile but it also visually matches the Lego design really well (there's no cracks or holes like mine have).

It's a tough problem and I can't fault lego for the decision they made! It's a super compact design.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zwille posted:

I'm old, so I remember when lego picked up Star Wars in the very late 90's when I was a teenager, seeing them in the store and thinking "wow what a cool idea, but those sets look like poo poo". Also they were very prequel heavy at the time which I didn't care for. Anyways I forgot about Lego Star Wars (and tbh Lego, and Star Wars in general) until about 2014 until going to a friends house who had a ton of Lego SW poo poo on display. My first thought was "oh poo poo these look amazing now" and my second was "uh oh I'm in trouble"

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I was trying to make the illegal assembly legal. My main criteria was making sure the top and bottom plates (the grey 2x6's in my photo) were in the same spot in relation to each other. Two of them do that, the other one is off a half stud because of jumpers.

Your design does mean to attach it to anything you're gonna have to use a tile but it also visually matches the Lego design really well (there's no cracks or holes like mine have).

It's a tough problem and I can't fault lego for the decision they made! It's a super compact design.
Gotcha. Yeah that definitely changes how it attaches to the rest of the model. There's no way to make a perfectly flush 1/2 stud offset like that without increasing the depth of the assembly unless you cheese it a bit like LEGO did. Like I said, I have zero issue with using that technique, it's just interesting 'cause it's typically verboten in LEGO's design language.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poor little headlight brick always getting forgotten.

(not a perfect alignment, you can see the error where the yellow jumper doesn't line up with the grey 1x1. but it's close enough for jazz)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

xzzy posted:

Poor little headlight brick always getting forgotten.

(not a perfect alignment, you can see the error where the yellow jumper doesn't line up with the grey 1x1. but it's close enough for jazz)
Hah! Same basic effect as using the bracket piece, except now you've traded one illegal connection for another! The studs on the 2 x 6 plate are in collision with the sideways plates attached to the headlight bricks there. The gap in height between the gray plate (not counting its studs) and the sideways plates is 1/2 a plate, or 1.6mm, but the height of a stud (including the embossed logo) is about 1.9mm. It would be legal if the gray plate had open or hollow studs, though!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

What's the punishment for illegal Lego connections? Being locked in a room full of the fingerpuppets staring at you?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm pretty sure I could take them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Earth posted:

Is that library your own? It’s really nice. I don’t know if lego would ever do something like that, but it’d be a treat.

Thanks! The set is one of my favorite modulars. It’s a Lookl design on Brickative. I picked up the bricks from here awhile back. Only real complaint is that the Ivy is an absolute bitch to get right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fappenmeister posted:

What's the punishment for illegal Lego connections? ]

You wake up to every one of your antennas looking like this: