Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Immanentized posted:

Also it cost Ahriman his face.

Not like "ruined his looks", nope- dude has a full-on gaping hole where his face should be.

That's rad as hell. 40K needs more impossible Junji Ito/Lovecraft style impossible alterations.

But yeah, since in most books everyone, be it humans, astartes or other psykers describe seeing Ahriman's eyes, face and expression normally, I always wondered what that meant. Figured it was some metaphysical aspect that only a few people of a similar power level could see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Heard so much about how the World Eaters are brutal and un-subtle but doesn't seem like the Space Wolves ar any better. It seems like Magnus' fall to Chaos will be prompted by a stupid, cruel but "loyal" Primarch.

Pretty much all the Legions are mirrored in that way with a couple of the others, and with slightly different circumstances you'd have a whole different heresy. Lion could have been the fallen Warmaster, Sanguinius could have fallen to Khorne or Slaanesh, Perturabo could have been the one building and defending Terra, it's coinflips all the way down.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sephyr posted:

That's rad as hell. 40K needs more impossible Junji Ito/Lovecraft style impossible alterations.

But yeah, since in most books everyone, be it humans, astartes or other psykers describe seeing Ahriman's eyes, face and expression normally, I always wondered what that meant. Figured it was some metaphysical aspect that only a few people of a similar power level could see.

A lot of warp and warp-touched entities are perceived as appearing differently to each person that sees them, or having features that shift between aspects. Off the top of my head I can think of; The Emperor, Magnus, and The Anarch (who's word drowns out all others). I figure Ahriman is similar - he no longer has a "real" face.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah faceless Ahriman was perceived by a psychically inert necron prisoner if I recall correctly. I wanna say it was an audio short?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Thanks for the suggestions. Apparently the Calgar trade paperback comes out in April.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pershing posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. Apparently the Calgar trade paperback comes out in April.

Where did you see that? Calgar is a Marvel comic I don't think they are releasing it in another format.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's got an Amazon listing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08TKXGL43/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Now, famously. Amazon can be a bit premature with listings, but it's usually correct.

It'll certainly be a trade at some point regardless.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

D-Pad posted:

Where did you see that? Calgar is a Marvel comic I don't think they are releasing it in another format.
That means "many comics in one book".

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m about halfway through Ravenor Returned. Very fun series so far. Excited to finish it out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The Kingfish posted:

I’m about halfway through Ravenor Returned. Very fun series so far. Excited to finish it out.

Same, but halfway through the first Ravenor. It's funny going from a strong gruff central character in Eisenhorn to... Professor X in a metal box. But the story is great and the writing is top notch.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

CAR-CAR-CARNIVORA still gets me.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

:same:

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I'm reading the first Black Legion book by ADB, The Talon of Horus. This passage stood out to me. A space marine asks an Eldar what is out there in other parts of the webway. She replies:

"Death...Things that broke free from other realms and realities. Things even the Neverborn fear."

This was after some reflection by the main character on old ones, the nature of the warp, and the webway's existence relative to the warp and void. I've only been reading Warhammer fiction for a couple years now, but this is the first time I think I've seen any hints of other realities.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

There's always a bigger fish.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I still have to finish Thousand Sons but just got done with the Emperor's pronouncement.

So firstly, he's a big ol' hypocrite right since he bargained with the Chaos Gods to create the Primarchs? Also I've heard he knew the Heresy would happen so everything he says or does is pretty tainted by that.

It's plain to see Magnus is a bit too full of himself but the discussion of the Warp and its nature really lies at the heart of this debate. This is a philosophical argument IRL as old as time - about power and the intrinsic morality of actions or weapons - but in 40K, we have definitive answers about how reality works unlike IRL.

Magnus maintains the Warp and Psychic Powers are essentially Neutral and their goodness or badness depends on those who use them. The discussion of the Space Wolves seems to prove him right? If you just believe the Warp is harmless, it is? But at the same time it really feels like TS is setting Magnus up for a fall due to his hubris. To believe these powers are ours to control is pure arrogance. But then the talk in here proves him right and there is no immutable cosmic force beyond us?

I dunno what the source for it is but I've heard the Warp lore is that it used to be totally benign before a big war happened. So in some sense it seems malleable but how malleable because it has been Chaos for millennia now.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Kingfish posted:

Oh my god that twist

E: gently caress, but Dan Abnett knows how to write some good pulp.

E2: Now that I’ve finished, I don’t actually like how that twist played out at all. How stupid is Ravenor to not realize what happened?

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 26, 2021

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

gently caress yeah, i remember listening to this part during a longass drive

kickin rad

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I picked up a Warhammer Monthly collection. Missing about 10 issues out of 86. Really excited to go through all these

Got some Gaunt's Ghost LEs and another background book, and art book

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That is fully sick. Also, your keyboard looks rad!

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Sephyr posted:

I've not read them for a while, but aren't the Black Legion books written from the point of view of a powerful psyker who has allowed himself to be captured by the Imperium and he's telling his story? He's going to see Ahriman differently to how others do. Doesn't he also hint that Ahriman himself doesn't see the hole and still thinks he has a face?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm still annoyed they never made more box sets like that, I was hoping for all the Ghosts books like it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
drat it GW give me my Alpharius book :mad:

People in the UK are getting theirs already and I haven't even gotten a shipping notification (though it seems like the US warehouse is super backed up)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Azubah posted:

I'm still annoyed they never made more box sets like that, I was hoping for all the Ghosts books like it.

Yeah I wish they would finish the GG series in this format. There are quite a few box set LEs out there: Eisenhorn, Ahriman, Legacy of Caliban, Ciaphas Cain, Salamanders, and two different Night Lords box sets. Most of them only had 500 copies and they are scarce. I've managed to track down a Legacy of Caliban and Salamanders and have a lead on Ahriman.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

People in the UK are getting theirs already and I haven't even gotten a shipping notification (though it seems like the US warehouse is super backed up)

My last couple LE purchases took a month.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

If you just believe the Warp is harmless, it is?

Don't put too much stock into the "power of belief" poo poo, it's really exaggerated in this thread, it's more of a meme than anything else. This goes for Orks too, sorry. A red one will go faster, but just painting a giant herd animal turd red won't turn it into a vehicle.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Don't put too much stock into the "power of belief" poo poo, it's really exaggerated in this thread, it's more of a meme than anything else. This goes for Orks too, sorry. A red one will go faster, but just painting a giant herd animal turd red won't turn it into a vehicle.

Yes it will.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I still have to finish Thousand Sons but just got done with the Emperor's pronouncement.

So firstly, he's a big ol' hypocrite right since he bargained with the Chaos Gods to create the Primarchs? Also I've heard he knew the Heresy would happen so everything he says or does is pretty tainted by that.

It's plain to see Magnus is a bit too full of himself but the discussion of the Warp and its nature really lies at the heart of this debate. This is a philosophical argument IRL as old as time - about power and the intrinsic morality of actions or weapons - but in 40K, we have definitive answers about how reality works unlike IRL.

Magnus maintains the Warp and Psychic Powers are essentially Neutral and their goodness or badness depends on those who use them. The discussion of the Space Wolves seems to prove him right? If you just believe the Warp is harmless, it is? But at the same time it really feels like TS is setting Magnus up for a fall due to his hubris. To believe these powers are ours to control is pure arrogance. But then the talk in here proves him right and there is no immutable cosmic force beyond us?

I dunno what the source for it is but I've heard the Warp lore is that it used to be totally benign before a big war happened. So in some sense it seems malleable but how malleable because it has been Chaos for millennia now.

Don't put too much faith in the words of a daemon. It's already established that the Emprah used warp shenanigans to create the primarchs, and even if it's true that he dealt with the Gods for a time, so what? Both the Big E and the Gods are incredibly powerful entities playing multidimensional turbomurder chess against each other with the lives of the entire galaxy as their game pieces and reality itself at stake, of course they are all a bunch of liars and cheats.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Magnus directly made pacts with warp entities who fooled him and took from him. The Space Wolves through their rituals, basically turn up to the timeshare presentation, get their free gift, and then leave without signing any papers.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Big E is absolutely a liar and a hypocrite and almost certainly not human as we understand it.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The Space Wolves through their rituals, basically turn up to the timeshare presentation, get their free gift, and then leave without signing any papers.

That is such a fantastic analogy.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

For someone who's routinely dealt with the warp it sure seems like he got kinda blindsided by the whole corruption of his primarchs thing

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Smart people can easily fool themselves into believing that they've thought of everything

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Belief isn't really what matters to the warp, it's emotion of sentient beings. That belief can guide emotion, but it's not the primary thing. They all have positive emotions associated with them as well, even noble warriors feed Khorne by default. A landscape gardener could be feeding Slaanesh and Nurgle. A scientist feeding Tzeentch.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Big E is absolutely a liar and a hypocrite and almost certainly not human as we understand it.

Did you read Fury of Magnus? In 40k he's totally not a human, but there's some stuff in this novella that shows he's still a dude. Or at least- his secondary attention still has human reactions of sadness and grief.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
It's entirely possibly after like 30+ thousand years of dealing with poo poo he is extreeeeeemly unrelatable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It used to explicitly be text for every faction in 1st edition WHFRP.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Read the spoilers and love them. Everyone is saying that it’s their favorite of the Primarchs series so far.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

NikkolasKing posted:

That book really made me sympathize with Magnus, really liked the inclusion of the human companions too. The whole Synod thing pissed me off, the Emperor can gently caress right off with that bullshit. He knows they're going to rebel after that but does nothing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Belief isn't really what matters to the warp, it's emotion of sentient beings. That belief can guide emotion, but it's not the primary thing. They all have positive emotions associated with them as well, even noble warriors feed Khorne by default. A landscape gardener could be feeding Slaanesh and Nurgle. A scientist feeding Tzeentch.

Makes me think of All Powerful Evil Gardener Sam from Lord of the Rings.

But while I've never seen actual sources for this, wasn't the Emp's entire justification for hiding the truth of Chaos and having the Warp explained in perfectly mundane terms part of the "belief" agenda? That's what I've always read online. If enough people believed he Warp was just some energy field as opposed to the home of dark gods, it would weaken them.

Pershing posted:

That book really made me sympathize with Magnus, really liked the inclusion of the human companions too. The whole Synod thing pissed me off, the Emperor can gently caress right off with that bullshit. He knows they're going to rebel after that but does nothing.

So far it's definitely been my favorite HH novel apart from maybe Horus Rising. Magnus is great, Ahriman is great, the Remembrancer trio were great.... Everything really clicks for me in this novel.

Thousand Sons have been promoted to one of my favorite Legions. Not too surprising now I see more of them - they remind me of my favorite WoD factions like Order of Hermes and Tremere. I guess I really like the big ritual magic cult types?

I stopped reading last night right as Magnus was taking his second big trip into the Warp and it seems like things are finally coming home to roost for the poor guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I finished the first Ravenor book and it's great in its own way, but didn't fully live up to the Eisenhorn series. The side characters, especially the ones I knew a bit from the first trilogy, were way more fleshed out for obvious reasons, but I missed having that gruff old Inquisitor. I rated it a 5/5 only because Eisenhorn as a series is a 6/5. It still was leaps and bounds above most genre fiction, and the action especially near the end was insanely cinematic.

But then I read the short story "Thorn Wishes Talon" which takes place afterward and I've never :neckbeard: 'd so hard in my life. Now I can't wait to read Ravenor Returned.