Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was really hoping there would have been more inside information on just how bad everything surrounding the last couple seasons were on set and with the actors, but it seems like all of them just kinda knew it was bad and phoned it in for their giant paychecks.

No one is asking any of them about it now because no one cares about it anymore.

Jerome Flynn and Lena Hedley despising each other was good. Though that was true going into the show, rather than because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

indiscriminately posted:

The actors had/have little to share about the last seasons I think because they have personal relationships with the showrunners, they've worked closely with them for years, they've achieved great success thanks to them, there's really no upside to them professionally or personally to speak honestly, publicly. I wouldn't choose to go on the record trashing my friends' obviously bad work. Maybe in a decade.

What great success have they had post Thrones? Sansa in some lovely xmen sequels and Dany in the worst starwars movie ever made?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

banned from Starbucks posted:

What great success have they had post Thrones? Sansa in some lovely xmen sequels and Dany in the worst starwars movie ever made?

Emilia Clark was in The Phantom Menace?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The quality of the films doesn't matter nearly as much for "actor success" as the size of the check they get does, and the major factor in the size of their checks was that they were coming from GoT.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Don't forget Dany was also in a very bad Terminator movie as well.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

It took a lot of them from obscure low paid jobbing actor to better recognized and paid jobbing actor if nothing else.

As far as the main cast IDK where their careers go from here really but at least they're financially set for life.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ll be honest, Solo was a poo poo load better than I was expecting and I preferred it to Force Awakens. Emilia Clarke is fine, she’s just kinda there. But the dude playing Solo, Chewy of course, and Woody Harrelson I thought were fantastic. DongLover as Lando was also an inspired cast.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Klungar posted:

TPM is better than at least 1/2 of the other prequels and 2/3 of the sequels.

Solo is... fine? Its not as good as R1 but its a coherent film which is more than can be said of roughly 1/3 of star wars movies.

edit: Apologies for discussing Star Wars in the GoT thread. Lets get back on topic: the Jets have the overall number 2 in the draft, can they actually do anything useful with it? They're going to just blindly pick Lawrence or Fields aren't they.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 26, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the actors of the main protagonists, clarke and harrington, are dogshit actors. and it wasn't just because of the bad writing, they are like that in everything else they've been in

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Some serious Last Christmas erasure going on here.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Here's a fun exercise if you haven't seen it.

Watch the trailer for Last Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9CEIcmWmtA

Now. There's a plot twist, try and guess what it could be.

Got it? Now go read the plot summary on Wikipedia.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And the only pre-GOT credit I can think of for Clarke is Triassic Attack (a movie which nobody and everybody should watch). There's no arguing GOT wasn't great for her career.

My favorite Clarke scene of all time remains "Best Season Ever!" though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

That’s kind of amazing tbh

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Spek posted:

Most of the later spectacles lost that. In large part because huge things like exploding the pope would happen with basically no ramifications.

The idea that a super beloved religious leader and queen could be killed and KL's wouldn't immediately see widespread rioting from the common folk is also something that'd fly in the face of how GoT had been up to that point. They wouldn't need to think "oh this was a plot by the queen mother to seize power and remove opponents" they'd see "someone murdered the queen and pope we adore" and then there would be a lot of chaos and burning. This is a place filled with people who were rapidly beginning to militarize under him and they wouldn't just go "oh he's dead, well back to the old way."

SirKibbles posted:

Like the entire ending just lacks life like Sansa getting crowned is portrayed as a positive thing but there's not one named character there with her. Her own sister fucks off on a boat as soon as possible.

And every other region of the 5 kingdoms would take "King Bran lets his sister secede" even worse than the peasants would've taken the firebombing of the sept. Sure Bran is super powerful but he's also in an extremely frail and very killable body.

If Arya hops a ship in the theoretic book ending it's all but guaranteed she does so to take their next mission as a Faceless Man since 'Arya' has done her part and an order of ultra assassins isn't just going to let her leave when she knows their secrets. It's some "Bruce Wayne was able to rebel against the League of Shadows and not find himself murdered at any point in the future" grade bullshit.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the way D&D did it was atrocious. That story absolutely could have been made to work where they install him as a figurehead with little power, but you know, :effort:

Or they install him as what they think is a figurehead but in reality he ends up manipulating them because none of them believe he's some omniscient entity and those who realize the truth would end up doing so when they're too deep to get out.

There are absolutely ways to play off Bran becoming king more than "oh of course I'll be king why else would I be here :smuggo:" that D&D stuck together. Hell, don't just have him say he'll find Drogon, have him say something to the effect of "don't worry about Drogon I have the situation under control" and insinuate that he's warged a loving dragon and therefore you will obey your king or you will burn in dragonfire.

Klungar posted:

As much as it hurts to say this, TPM is one of the better Star Wars movies. It's probably 4th or 5th out of the 9 'main' movies and better than Solo. TPM's biggest issues are JarJar's existence and that the loving Jedi council were full of people so stupid they couldn't spot an obvious power grab or that a prophecy of "bringing balance to the force" is not something they should want to see come to pass when they are an absolute power and the Sith haven't been a threat for centuries. Like, even as a kid when I heard that prophecy my immediate thought was "how do none of these people, including YODA, grasp that the prophecy requires the Sith rising to power and being on equal footing, or overthrowing the Jedi to 'balance' the Jedi having been in power?"

And yet, it's still better than the recent movies. TLJ was bad and ruined Luke Skywalker and its only saving grace was that someone finally did what the Rebels somehow never thought to do against the empire. FTL + spaceship = fleet obliterating mass driver suicide shot. Yeah yeah strong shields on poo poo like the death star that's great but the amount of force behind even an X-Wing going at warp speed and impacting with something would have cataclysmic results for anything nearby. To say nothing about what would happen if you jury rigged an FTL drive to an asteroid and pointed it at the death star or any celestial body.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s kind of amazing tbh

Take a couple more lines from the song, and you could make a decent horror movie with that premise.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
GURM rejected Tamsin Merchant as Danny for the realistic reason of her boobs aren't big enough.

That she is an actual actor was secondary.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Evil Fluffy posted:

The idea that a super beloved religious leader and queen could be killed and KL's wouldn't immediately see widespread rioting from the common folk is also something that'd fly in the face of how GoT had been up to that point. They wouldn't need to think "oh this was a plot by the queen mother to seize power and remove opponents" they'd see "someone murdered the queen and pope we adore" and then there would be a lot of chaos and burning. This is a place filled with people who were rapidly beginning to militarize under him and they wouldn't just go "oh he's dead, well back to the old way."

This was the worst. A bit before and the religious nuts were strong enough to imprision and public humiliate Cersei.

Than after she kills their leader, nothing, no reaction whatsoever

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Deptfordx posted:

is it that he's the santa claus

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

ChubbyChecker posted:

is it that he's the santa claus

It’s somehow better and worse than that at the same time.

If I had to read it you have to read it. :colbert:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

It’s somehow better and worse than that at the same time.

If I had to read it you have to read it. :colbert:

I kind of guessed wrong. I thought she had been the dead one all along. Must be her acting.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Deptfordx posted:

Watched without sound so it was hard to tell. My guess is the guy ends up being a donor of whatever organ she’s dying from. . Will check back after reading.

Edit: Ha! Close enough.

latinotwink1997 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 27, 2021

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not quite the gritty Tin Man movie I've been waiting for, but close enough!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Elias_Maluco posted:

This was the worst. A bit before and the religious nuts were strong enough to imprision and public humiliate Cersei.

Than after she kills their leader, nothing, no reaction whatsoever

I really wonder if that was direction from GRRM or D&D's own bad writing. I'd assume the latter since GRRM was pretty good about showing consequences of Dany liberating slave cities and leaving them to fend for themselves, only to get put down far more brutally by another army. The High Sparrow is probably the most popular person in King's Landing and the queen was likely 2nd, and definitely first among the nobility. There's no way peasants just accept it, let alone accept it and sit idly by as a recently-shamed Cersei takes over. The remaining Sparrows would've gone full insurgency on her rear end and you'd have revolts until every last one was found and put down.

Not that we'll ever find out.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/geeksofcolor/status/1354568167633416193?s=21

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

:ughh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh so this is what it feels like to be one of those dickheads who think that Disney is going to just suddenly erase and replace the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy because it made them mad.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i assume any animated series would be a new story because trying to Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood it would run into the same "books don't exist" problem of the original show

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gonna be Robert's Rebellion if it happens at all. Calling it now!

edit:

Also, I think the world work well as an animated story. Hell, would probably cost them less to animate a whole season vs what they had to pay to CG the dragons.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

just let the netflix castlevania people do dunk and egg please. i beg you.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gonna be Robert's Rebellion if it happens at all. Calling it now!

edit:

Also, I think the world work well as an animated story. Hell, would probably cost them less to animate a whole season vs what they had to pay to CG the dragons.

An well-produced animated series where each season was just a different era of Westeros (the Dawn Age, the Age of Heroes, the Long Night, the Andals and the Seven Kingdoms, Aegon's Conquest, the Dance of Dragons, and Robert's Rebellion) would do numbers and maybe get people invested in the IP again enough to do some of the live action spinoffs or maybe like a series of movies down the line.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A smurfs/snorks type show but about grumpkins

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i assume any animated series would be a new story because trying to Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood it would run into the same "books don't exist" problem of the original show

I had this exact thought like ten seconds after I posted that. "Oh wait, it's gonna be something new." I honestly doubt anyone will ever try to take another swing at the tee that is trying to adapt the main storyline of ASoIaF, in large part because the ending of Game of Thrones kind of landed so hard upon impact that it obliterated the ground upon which the tee originally stood and it now has a net negative 500m elevation :v:

I'm interested to see what kind of splash if any the spin offs make though, just to gauge how forgiving general audiences are after the way the show ended or if people actually hating how things ended turns out to be just another weird internet pop culture mirage.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Except that between Dunk and Egg, Fire and Blood, and the “World of Ice and Fire” lord book there’s plenty of already written material to base stories on without making up new poo poo.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

TK-42-1 posted:

just let the netflix castlevania people do dunk and egg please. i beg you.

The animators maybe but now that Warren Ellis has been outed as a sex pest maybe keep him away from it. A lot of his work is kinda creepy now that that's out there.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What did he do again? I remember seeing that in the Castlevania show thread but can't remember what happened.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
He groomed and took advantage of a lot of young women authors and artists. Big power imbalance and exploited it heavily. This site covers it pretty extensively.

https://www.somanyofus.com/

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just started my first re-read of the series. Interested to see how it compares to my first read through before the show existed.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

ruddiger posted:

A smurfs/snorks type show but about grumpkins

Was thinking more like a mishmosh like Heavy Metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Desert Bus posted:

The animators maybe but now that Warren Ellis has been outed as a sex pest maybe keep him away from it. A lot of his work is kinda creepy now that that's out there.

Heaven forbid gurms works become creepy.