Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
There's been some really good analysis and theorising by some people about the Rebuild films. But it almost certainly not a direct sequel or time loop involving the previous series and films. However, there is a loop within the Rebuild continuity. For example, going by what was previously posted under spoilers: the blood streak on the Moon in Rebuild is completely different to the streak in EoE, the chalk outline is the body of one of the Adams and was turned into Unit 01. The key component is basically that what fans take to be a sign of the original series being the first iteration of the loop or whatever, the Rebuild films appear to posit that as being Second Impact - and Kaworu's 'knowing' Shinji comes from all the various children being involved in it, possibly being related to the Adams, and some kind of pre-human civilization involving SEELE and Lillith - a First Ancestral Race, you could say...

The theories are particularly interesting now because the most recent release of 3.33 in Japan confirmed one of them. That is, that Third Impact was WILLE attempting to stop Gendo and SEELE from starting Third Impact - like an inverse EoE. Apparently, 3.33 has now added WILLE graffiti over the UN logos of the crashed vehicles in Lillith's chamber. I know I've mentioned this as a possibility before, so, it's interesting seeing it out and out confirmed.

edit:

Adams, Children, and the Nature of the Cycle

Thrice Upon A Humanity: The Deep Lore of NTE [WIP]

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There's some stuff that is different that could just be artistic license. Then there's stuff like a shot of giant footprints that is nearly 1:1 with the shot in EoE when the production Eva lands on those soldiers. I could still be misremembering that because I never totally investigated it (ever lacking an immediate copy of EoE to scrub through,)

My take on the loop theory is that it was in the cards at least through 2.0, and then 3.0 just kinda 'Araki Forgot'-ed it. As long as the wait for 4.0 has been, there was still three years and change between 2.0 and 3.0 for story hooks to get dropped even just by accident.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Given what we know about the production of 3.0 from - and I can't believe I'm saying this - Moyoco Anno's allegorical story about Anno as a turnip farmer it sounds like he got stuck trying to make what he originally wanted to do for 3.0 work and then just threw it all out the window and did something totally different, so I wouldn't expect anything weird from the first two movies to specifically come up again.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Anno as a turnip farmer

Post this

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqeU5a6YgCs

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
3.33 crushed him so bad even the ghost of Miyazaki couldn't bring him back.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Tried to buy this show and :laffo: are the ebay DVDs from Malaysia legit because gently caress netflix, dont have an account and never will

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

redsniper posted:

3.33 crushed him so bad even the ghost of Miyazaki couldn't bring him back.

But Godzilla did.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Tried to buy this show and :laffo: are the ebay DVDs from Malaysia legit because gently caress netflix, dont have an account and never will

Anything on discs out of SE Asia on eBay is almost certainly bootlegs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blockhouse posted:

But Godzilla did.

Thank you, Godzilla.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Official Bluray is due out this year, no need to import bootlegs or subscribe to netflix.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/01000004/dp/B08TMHJVX3/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I don't even know if that's a typo, it works on so many levels

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sums up EVA Merch perfectly.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
What if Rebuild isn't a loop after EoE, but before EoE :aaa:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Had no idea that Anno directed a movie back in 2000 called Ritual (Shiki-Jitsu) and I think it's worth watching if you're an Evangelion fan. No robots/monsters or action scenes, just a man and a woman that meet one day. Don't want to say more for fear of spoiling things but if you get the opportunity to watch it you'll be glad that you did, I think.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK5yejcKCis

LETS loving GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

LETS loving GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I’m in.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just hope it has a scene that's as incredible as *that* scene in Shin Godzilla.
You know the one.

Also, the music will probably be awesome (hope it doesn't just re-use Eva songs though).

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

(hope it gives us yet another rad remix of Bataille Decisive).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TDevilkaiser/status/1350656433122123777

I read this interesting article by Hideaki Anno about his perspective on what happened with Gainax over the years. One really interesting thing he says is this:

quote:

When my opinions started to be ignored in meetings and I no longer felt any reason to be an executive director, I stopped my next project that I was working on to do Evangelion once again. Even if I think about creating a new project, it would be nothing more than an Evangelion epilogue. So if I did Evangelion again, as a film, wouldn’t it be better for the animation industry and for me?

He says this was in about 2006, at which time he was an Executive Director at Gainax in name only, because the administration asked him to for image's sake. Overall the article makes him sound like a pretty cool dude who is really interested in making sure the people who work on productions properly benefit from them.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like I remember hearing that Anno's always come across in person as something of a teddy bear - definitely remember this being brought up as a humorous contrast to how intense Miyazaki is.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's good he was able to get a lot of the staff and some important IP away from that hell company.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hell yeah

JazzFlight posted:

Also, the music will probably be awesome (hope it doesn't just re-use Eva songs though).
I hope it does tbh

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i tried to tell you guys

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Welcome back nerd

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

i tried to tell you guys

Yeah that got posted before you got bounced last time. :thumbsup:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midjack posted:

Yeah that got posted before you got bounced last time. :thumbsup:
Anno told me that he'll keep pushing back the release of 3.0+1.0 until you start being nice to me

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
You were funnier when you quoted it last time.

TenementFunster posted:

i regret to inform you that mods knew

Dr. Frakenstein offers guidelines about which villages are appropriate for his creatures to terrorize

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

(hope it doesn't just re-use Eva songs though).

I seriously could not disagree more.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Is it bad I just want more original Shiro Sagisu music?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdqw_oqup-8

For a minute there I thought we were gonna get the Mass-Production series

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This time they cut out the middleman and go mass production Rei series

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its called thrice in a lifetime because its the third ending of this franchise (ep 26, EoE, now this) not because theres going to be a third time loop or whatever else

i do think theres some sort of situation where this is happening after or right at the end of original nge, like another vision of life in the lcl but one where shinji asserts himself, or perhaps a time thing or whatever. but thats not why the movie is subtitled as it is.

edit i forgot to quote the person i meant to reply to this with it was from a page ago. nine gear crow i think. sorry.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Paper Lion posted:

its called thrice in a lifetime because its the third ending of this franchise (ep 26, EoE, now this) not because theres going to be a third time loop or whatever else

why not both? :shrug:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

3.0+1.0 will be about Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman saving Shinji's life.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Shin Ji

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Shin Ji gets in the Shin Evangelion to help his friends Shin Ultraman and Shin Godzilla.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Shin Godzilla is basically an angel. It is a mysterious, practically invincible, singular creature that has an infinite internal power supply and wants to supplant humanity as the dominant life on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know that you can really say Shin Godzilla "wants" anything.