Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Wallet posted:

Those look like V-nails, which are often used for framing. If you want it to stay together long-term, you probably want to put it back together with v-nails and glue (or have a framer do it). Staples aren't going to do a lot.

Ah, was searching for the wrong letter! This puts me on the right path, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

They make L shaped mending plates that screw in from the back too. Whatever you choose I’d clamp the piece before installing, a little wiggle room is pretty apparent.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I have a question about grouting and sealing some mosaic tile for a backsplash that I installed this weekend.

I'm in the middle of my 24-72 hour window for the tile adhesive to dry. My mosaic is is made up of about 80% glass tiles and 20% some kind of grey stone tile. The grey stone tiles seem really porous--I got a small amount of blood from my hand on one while cutting, and it stained it so bad I had to just replace that tile.

Will the white grout I want to apply next also stain the grey stone tile? I assumed that the order of operations would be to apply the grout once the tile adhesive has set, allow the grout to set, and then spray tile/grout sealant on on the tiles and the grout all at once, but I'm reading on the back of my spray bottle of sealant that it can be applied directly to stone before grouting to avoid staining. So now I'm wondering if I should be sealing the tiles before I apply the grout and then sealing the grout after it cures?

melon cat posted:

Is it worthwhile to buy a FLIR camera for home projects? Asking because I have an old century home with plaster and lathe and I'm doing all sorts of work that requires finding the studs. Stud finders and rare earth magnets haven't been helpful. I know that FLIR cams help find wall studs in drywall but I'm wondering if it will do the same with plaster and lathe.

I've had good luck finding studs through my plaster walls using a cheap magnetic stud finder, like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/C-H-Hanson-Magnetic-Stud-Finder-03040/202563186

The idea is that you use the magnet to find the screws or nails that fasten the lathe to the studs, and then you know you've got a stud running that full vertical distance and can measure in 16" increments from there. I prefer this solution to drilling a bunch of exploratory holes myself.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 1, 2021

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Blakkout posted:

Will the white grout I want to apply next also stain the grey stone tile?

Anytime you're concerned about materials interacting, prepare a sample. Mix up a little bit of the grout and apply it to an extra tile (I know you have at least one - the one with the blood on it).

There's a tile setting poster, hopefully they will see your question. I'm blanking on their name.

Here's a website that might address your question:
https://floorelf.com/

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blakkout posted:

I have a question about grouting and sealing some mosaic tile for a backsplash that I installed this weekend.

I'm in the middle of my 24-72 hour window for the tile adhesive to dry. My mosaic is is made up of about 80% glass tiles and 20% some kind of grey stone tile. The grey stone tiles seem really porous--I got a small amount of blood from my hand on one while cutting, and it stained it so bad I had to just replace that tile.

Will the white grout I want to apply next also stain the grey stone tile? I assumed that the order of operations would be to apply the grout once the tile adhesive has set, allow the grout to set, and then spray tile/grout sealant on on the tiles and the grout all at once, but I'm reading on the back of my spray bottle of sealant that it can be applied directly to stone before grouting to avoid staining. So now I'm wondering if I should be sealing the tiles before I apply the grout and then sealing the grout after it cures?

Hi. Tile setting poster here.

White grout shouldn't stain the stone. If you're worried, seal the tile first then grout it, that won't hurt anything, and is probably what I'd do in your situation.
There's also a product called grout release. I don't know if they sell it at the depot, but it's a sealer that washes off when you do your cleaning of the grout. I think it's cheaper, but if you're only doing a splash you probably have more than enough grout sealer anyway.

Edit: Also what kind of grout and what kind of sealer?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 1, 2021

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Thanks for both responses.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Edit: Also what kind of grout and what kind of sealer?

Grout: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Polyblend-381-Bright-White-10-lb-Non-Sanded-Grout-PBG38110/100553533

Sealer: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-TileLab-SurfaceGard-24-oz-Penetrating-Sealer-TLSGS24Z/202907662

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

What's your joint size? I generally don't like wall grout (unsanded) for anything bigger than 1/16". The sanded grout allows it to have a little more body, there's a chance you could have it kind of slump out of the joints unless they are nice and tight. That is also something that only the person who did it might notice, but just something to consider. If you're sticking with Custom, and your joints are 1/8" or more, you might want to consider their prism line. It will cost a bit more, but will also provide a little bit of stain protection in the grout itself, which is nice for white grout.

Your grout sealer will do just fine. You'll want to re-up every now and then, mainly if you ever notice that water isn't beading on it anymore, which you'll only notice if you're as messy of a cook as I am.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

floWenoL posted:

Cool thanks, wire brush and Vaseline sounds like what I want!

Follow up question: re. "getting that 2nd picture's nut off without the bolt spinning in the retaining ring", would it help to grip the bolt with something (vise grip, etc.) while trying to get the nut off? I can see that loving up the threading, but maybe I can just grip the top part which I'd snap off anyway...

You can try, but the bolt might snap off anyway.

Before you get started, consider if you want to replace the toilet if one of the bolts snaps. If you end up having to pull the toilet because a bolt snapped, replacing the entire toilet is not much more work then just replacing the bolt.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

What's your joint size? I generally don't like wall grout (unsanded) for anything bigger than 1/16". The sanded grout allows it to have a little more body, there's a chance you could have it kind of slump out of the joints unless they are nice and tight. That is also something that only the person who did it might notice, but just something to consider. If you're sticking with Custom, and your joints are 1/8" or more, you might want to consider their prism line. It will cost a bit more, but will also provide a little bit of stain protection in the grout itself, which is nice for white grout.

Your grout sealer will do just fine. You'll want to re-up every now and then, mainly if you ever notice that water isn't beading on it anymore, which you'll only notice if you're as messy of a cook as I am.

drat. My joints are1/8”. Bought unsanded grout because I read that sanded grout can scratch high-polish glass tiles during application.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blakkout posted:

drat. My joints are1/8”. Bought unsanded grout because I read that sanded grout can scratch high-polish glass tiles during application.

You'll probably be fine, you're at the high end of the limits of that grout. Just mix it up exactly as they say, don't add any more water than they tell you to.

Pretty much the only grouts we use now are the higher tier grouts. That's Mapei's Ultracolor, Laticrete's Permacolor, and Custom's Prism because we just end up having less problems with them overall. You can't go wrong with them. I don't think scratching the grout is an issue with them, just the sanded grouts. I might be wrong though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Blakkout posted:

For what it's worth, I (mistakenly) grouted my woodstove backstop & base with unsanded grout in 2006, and those joints are at least 1/4" (8" terra-cotta)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a way to make a driveway surface like this less slippery? I keep falling on it. :sweatdrop: It has some moss or something on parts of it, but I don't know if that's there at the steepest part where I slip.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Pressure wash it first.

If that doesn't fix it you may need to acid etch it or something more involved that I haven't done.

But pressure washing it will insure anything that may be making it invisibly slippery is blasted out of the surface, and that could be enough to save it.

Oh and it could be your shoes too. I've had some pairs of worn out shoes be dangerously slippery on random surfaces, and not noticing until it's too late.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 2, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wasabi the J posted:

Pressure wash it first.

If that doesn't fix it you may need to acid etch it or something more involved that I haven't done.

But pressure washing it will insure anything that may be making it invisibly slippery is blasted out of the surface, and that could be enough to save it.

Oh and it could be your shoes too. I've had some pairs of worn out shoes be dangerously slippery on random surfaces, and not noticing until it's too late.

I'll see if I can borrow a pressure washer! They're brand new shoes, but I know what you mean. I've had the soles of shoes degraded by working with strong bleach solutions which turns them into slicks!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

renting one of these things is probably the cheapest/easiest bet.

There's also this stuff I haven't used it, and I don't know how DIYable it is, looks pretty easy?

They make zinc powders for moss control, though that doesn't look like your problem in that area, pressure washing is good at removing moss too

E: it does look like it's slippery because of wet, smooth aggregate, not contamination.

Comedy option: glue outdoor carpet down on it.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 2, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

renting one of these things is probably the cheapest/easiest bet.

There's also this stuff I haven't used it, and I don't know how DIYable it is, looks pretty easy?

They make zinc powders for moss control, though that doesn't look like your problem in that area, pressure washing is good at removing moss too

E: it does look like it's slippery because of wet, smooth aggregate, not contamination.

That looks like it's beyond my skill level. I am not very handy 😂 I'll try the pressure washer first and if that doesn't seem better, I'll look for pros.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Elviscat posted:

I agree.

On both counts.

In all honesty though, pressure washing is one of the less risky or skill intensive options, but it's still a long shot.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wasabi the J posted:

I agree.

On both counts.

In all honesty though, pressure washing is one of the less risky or skill intensive options, but it's still a long shot.

So this kind of surface is inherently slippery? I thought that might be the case. Would putting sand down be a temporary solution? Like if Halloween comes around and it's raining, so trick or treaters don't slip?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Blakkout posted:

I've had good luck finding studs through my plaster walls using a cheap magnetic stud finder, like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/C-H-Hanson-Magnetic-Stud-Finder-03040/202563186

The idea is that you use the magnet to find the screws or nails that fasten the lathe to the studs, and then you know you've got a stud running that full vertical distance and can measure in 16" increments from there. I prefer this solution to drilling a bunch of exploratory holes myself.
Will try this one out, thanks. I tried to buy some standalone rare earth magnets but they didn't work, but who knows maybe a more "purpose-built" tool like this one will yield better results.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah it is, it's the smooth stones, if you pay attention you'll notice that concrete surfaced freeways start to become slippery as tires wear the cement between the stones down, and they'll come out with big scarifiers (like that machine I linked) and grind it all down to improve wet stopping distances.

Some googling indicates that some people mix sand in concrete sealer, or use a diy product like this.

I could see loose sand helping a bit too.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
You can roll out a coat of Chattahoochee Sealer on it with a non-skid additive mixed in. If thinking about going this route I would do a small test area first to make sure it gives you worthwhile results before doing the whole thing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I wouldn't put sand on it unless it's wet.

I slip hiking over boulders with loose sand covering them, even in pretty grippy shoes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a solar thread? I didn't see one.

I live in Southern California and have a fairly large southern facing roof, which seems ideal for solar production. However my electric bill is fairly low - about $100 a month average. This may be relevant, I have a shingle roof with two layers of shingles, the newest layer being six years old.

I'm not into the solar leases at all. That said, I'm not sure if it's worth buying them outright. It's a pretty large investment. It's hard to find any math that isn't a sales pitch.

Are there any good resources on this?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Not even a question for home improvement purposes, I'm already working on handling the "poo poo ain't sealed against winter air" problem, but an intent/purpose check as I investigate this apartment's HVAC to figure out why I am always goddamn freezing:

Why would anyone EVER install an "air heater" that just runs air through the water the adjacent water heater creates, relying entirely on the water heater with no heat source of its own? This is the least functional design I've ever seen, it blows cold air half the time!

To clarify: this is a forced air system mated to a water heater, NOT a radiator system.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Is there a solar thread? I didn't see one.

I live in Southern California and have a fairly large southern facing roof, which seems ideal for solar production. However my electric bill is fairly low - about $100 a month average. This may be relevant, I have a shingle roof with two layers of shingles, the newest layer being six years old.

I'm not into the solar leases at all. That said, I'm not sure if it's worth buying them outright. It's a pretty large investment. It's hard to find any math that isn't a sales pitch.

Are there any good resources on this?

https://www.google.com/get/sunroof

I only know what I've read about on these here forums but generally if you don't have government subsidies and you can't sell back to your utility for a good rate it won't be worth it.

As for the 2 layers of shingles I think roofers rip off when it gets to 3 layers normally but totally guessing, for a solar install you'll want an entire fresh roof put on (rip off old layers, install new).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Another weird issue.

My new house has a finished basement and I was futzing with some cable ties down in the corner of the room and felt a very slight draft of cold air coming from a gap between the bottom of the trim and the floor. Should I just caulk the gap OR should I remove the trim and fill the entire lower gap with great stuff?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I have an odd question, but I figure if anyone knows the answer, it'll be one of you goons. Are there good shows or youtube channels for DIY/gardening/outdoor survival?

My wife and I really enjoyed watching Survivorman when it came out several years ago. Recently we've tried watching shows like Alone and The Repair Shop, but they both focus too much on the human element. What we really want is something more focused on skills and techniques. Maybe something like How It's Made, but at a level that's at least theoretically possible for one or two people to do without needing a whole factory. Or maybe something like a cooking show, but for other household tasks. Good cooking show suggestions are also welcome, but I will be surprised if you can recommend something we haven't already watched.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

LLSix posted:

I have an odd question, but I figure if anyone knows the answer, it'll be one of you goons. Are there good shows or youtube channels for DIY/gardening/outdoor survival?

My wife and I really enjoyed watching Survivorman when it came out several years ago. Recently we've tried watching shows like Alone and The Repair Shop, but they both focus too much on the human element. What we really want is something more focused on skills and techniques. Maybe something like How It's Made, but at a level that's at least theoretically possible for one or two people to do without needing a whole factory. Or maybe something like a cooking show, but for other household tasks. Good cooking show suggestions are also welcome, but I will be surprised if you can recommend something we haven't already watched.
The home improvement shows on PBS are much more like this. 'Let's do the the thing' not 'DRAMA.' They are 'Ina Garten cooks nice food-here's how' not 'COMPEPTITITVE COOKING IN 1 HOUR!!!!! WHO WILL SURVIVE!?' Lots of them are available for free online, or at least recent seasons are. A few that come to mind:
'This Old House
'The Victory Garden'
'P. Allen Smith's Garden home' or w/e it's called
'The Woodwright's shop'
'New Yankee Workshop'
'Hometime'

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Another weird issue.

My new house has a finished basement and I was futzing with some cable ties down in the corner of the room and felt a very slight draft of cold air coming from a gap between the bottom of the trim and the floor. Should I just caulk the gap OR should I remove the trim and fill the entire lower gap with great stuff?

Both locations are the 'wrong' place to fix the issue, but may be the only options available to you. It is unlikely that either of your proposed solutions will cause a problem, it's just important to keep in mind that there may be a systemic issue that you're just papering over a bit. Air should never be able to move freely through a wall assembly, and should be stopped closest to the side it originates from. So if air is coming into the room, it should be stopped on the exterior of the assembly not the interior.

Ok, that said, I would probably use caulk because it's going to be more flexible and inspectable over the long-term. Expanding foam may fill the cavity and provide some insulating value, but it has a tendency to crack off of adjacent surfaces over time which will re-open the air leak. Read the label on the caulk to ensure it will stick to the materials you are using it on, and it doesn't have any qualities you don't want (for example, some caulks are not paintable).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm doing a CAT5 cable routing. Old century home. Which means boring holes though wall studs. Problem is I have some skinny rear end studs holding up the plaster and lathe

Would you drill through this with a ½" fish bit? Studs appear to be approx ¾" wide. Which isn't much. According to this source the bored hole should be "not more than 60 percent of the stud width" and the edge of the hole shouldn't be more than 5/8 inch (16 mm) to the edge of the stud. Really thinking that my fish bit's hole might be too large and weaken the stud.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 3, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tezer posted:

Both locations are the 'wrong' place to fix the issue, but may be the only options available to you. It is unlikely that either of your proposed solutions will cause a problem, it's just important to keep in mind that there may be a systemic issue that you're just papering over a bit. Air should never be able to move freely through a wall assembly, and should be stopped closest to the side it originates from. So if air is coming into the room, it should be stopped on the exterior of the assembly not the interior.

Ok, that said, I would probably use caulk because it's going to be more flexible and inspectable over the long-term. Expanding foam may fill the cavity and provide some insulating value, but it has a tendency to crack off of adjacent surfaces over time which will re-open the air leak. Read the label on the caulk to ensure it will stick to the materials you are using it on, and it doesn't have any qualities you don't want (for example, some caulks are not paintable).

Okay, noted. I think "draft" might be the wrong word. I don't feel actual air moving, it's just noticeably cold down there. So I'm thinking there might just be an insulation gap as I don't feel the cold along the entire wall.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
A lighter (especially a nice long, grill lighter) is a great tool to figure out how bad of draft you have. Put the flame in front of the area with the draft and watch--if it blows out you got big issues. If it flickers, not so bad. But you get the idea--just don't burn anything. As Tezer mentioned--if you are getting a draft at floor level, you'd really want to figure out from the outside of the house how it is getting though.

But if it is just cold flooring. Is it concrete/slab? Expect some thermal dissipation in the concrete closest to the outside walls.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Okay, noted. I think "draft" might be the wrong word. I don't feel actual air moving, it's just noticeably cold down there. So I'm thinking there might just be an insulation gap as I don't feel the cold along the entire wall.

Ah, got it. If there isn't a pressure differential (ie - a draft) caulking isn't going to help very much. It may stop a little bit of air movement, but it isn't going to stop the 'cold.' So in that case, foaming behind the baseboard (if there is a void there) is the right way to address it. Given that location is one of the most likely places moisture will sit if you have a moisture issue, spray foam is really the only recommended material to use because it bonds well with other materials (reducing the opportunity for condensation to form) and doesn't hold moisture/support mold growth as well as other materials.

There are many reasons why a finished basement may be unusually cold at that location (no insulation under the slab for example, it's also probably far from where heat enters the room, and there is a sill plate there which will be colder than the surrounding insulation because it has a lower R value). If it isn't impacting general room comfort, it may not be worth the effort to address. Like, if you pull the baseboard off and there isn't anywhere to put insulation, now you've just created a trim repair project and haven't even addressed the original issue. So beware of creating a bigger problem than you start with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Excellent info, thank you.

Full disclosure: i never got around to caulking the trim after we painted and put in new floors so I will take advantage of the furniture being pulled away from the wall and caulk it up just so it looks nice.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LLSix posted:

Townsend and Sons

18th-19th century reenactment and historical cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlVENzhq_Xw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WLebI5eNlg

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Has there been a thread on low impact / high efficiency housing? I was considering starting a thread to discuss Earthbag houses - I've researched quite a bit but never met anyone with direct experience

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

LLSix posted:

The least crazy guy from Dual Survival
https://youtube.com/c/DavidCanterbury

Really sincere cowboy guy cooking
https://youtube.com/c/CowboyKentRollins

Everything you need to know about tile showers
https://youtube.com/user/StarrTile

Everything you need to know about stucco
https://youtube.com/c/StuccoPlastering

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The grout at the seam of where my tiled floor meets my tiled tub/shower in a guest bath is cracked all the way through. Do I need to get an oscillating tool to remove it and then try to match the original grout? Remove the bad stuff and put in something else?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Omne posted:

The grout at the seam of where my tiled floor meets my tiled tub/shower in a guest bath is cracked all the way through. Do I need to get an oscillating tool to remove it and then try to match the original grout? Remove the bad stuff and put in something else?

I'm assuming this is happening at a horizontal->vertical transition.

You can get a grout removal tool, something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Coitak-Angled-Pieces-Replacement-Cleaning/dp/B085R9S368/

Be careful, you might scratch your tub if it slips (assuming tub to tile, not tile to tile)

Replace it with caulk to match your grout.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

Replace it with caulk to match your grout.

Important.