Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

greazeball posted:

That's the literal definition of word of mouth though

Okay if you want to be pedantic about it for no reason, then yes, but clearly what I mean is that the information comes from individuals with first-hand experience rather than via rumor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
As I see it, there’s a big difference between an untraceable “friend of a friend” and a person you could readily contact if you were so inclined.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Platystemon posted:

As I see it, there’s a big difference between an untraceable “friend of a friend” and a person you could readily contact if you were so inclined.

Let's ask the goons actually doing the work for everyone so they can argue about masks all day what they think.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
So I got the covid. I’ve been traveling a lot for work and going to restaurants and stuff so it’s no surprise really. Last Tuesday I felt sorta off, Wednesday felt like I had just smoked a whole pack of cigarettes. Felt like there was knives in my lungs. Mild fever and bad body aches. Took a rapid test that night and came back positive.

I tried to use the state app to report my condition for tracing, but it requires a unique code associated with the test, but the testing place never gave me one. There’s no customer support on the app or the website associated with it so I guess I just won’t be counted.

Anyway it’s been a few days and I’m feeling ok. No more fever or lung pain, but I definitely don’t feel “right”. I’ll go back to work on the 8th.

Fun fact, my gf had it on Christmas Eve and was in the hospital for 6 days. They gave her lots of acetaminophen, antibiotics, and remdesivir, and all that combined nuked her liver. I really don’t get why they gave her acetaminophen instead of a different NSAID.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
2 year old tested positive late last week after having a 100 fever. Wife had a 101 temperature last night, 4 year old has a 102 temperature this morning. We are all going to get tested today, but I have no reason to believe anyone will be negative. I have no fever but I see no way to avoid contact with anyone in our small house and I almost hope I test positive so I don't need to walk on egg shells trying to avoid everyone when it likely will not be enough anyway, especially with the kids making no effort to avoid me.

It is funny because we were just talking about how we don't know anyone who has got it. Made it a year and with vaccines just on the horizon too. :rip:

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 1, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A mutual friend of my GF and mine on Twitter posted a link to a rite-aid covid signup form on their website over the weekend and said they just got an appt and to try and find one nearby with available appts and sign up for one. I tried for a bit and couldn't get one that was available, but about an hour later apparently someone from Rite-Aid caught wind of people using this link to sign up and released a statement saying if you're in PA and signing up from this form, even though it says your appt is scheduled and to show up at that time they're likely not going to give you a vaccine because it's only for people working in hospitals and stuff and the form wasn't supposed to get out.

We're not even out of the first phase and we're already at the point where it's just a free for all signing up where you can and hoping you get an appt. What is the point of different phases and sub phases if we're months into this and still in 1A and it feels like getting one is the same luck as finding a GPU right now, just hope you find a place taking appointments and finish the form before some other jabroni does.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah she definitely needs to get tested because reinfection isn’t all that common at all.

The situation in Brazil and the Novavax data shows that reinfection can be much more common when we are talking about the variants.

The Novavax vaccine was 96% effective against the original strain but only about 49% against the South Africa strain. Fortunately the vaccine can be modified. But if you have antibodies to the original strain it won't protect as well against variants.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This kinda demonstrates the importance of vaccinating the entire world and not just wealthy countries. Besides being unethical, an unvaccinated country will just spawn more variants and export them worldwide, creating a foreverpandemic.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Pain of Mind posted:

2 year old tested positive late last week after having a 100 fever. Wife had a 101 temperature last night, 4 year old has a 102 temperature this morning. We are all going to get tested today, but I have no reason to believe anyone will be negative. I have no fever but I see no way to avoid contact with anyone in our small house and I almost hope I test positive so I don't need to walk on egg shells trying to avoid everyone when it likely will not be enough anyway, especially with the kids making no effort to avoid me.

It is funny because we were just talking about how we don't know anyone who has got it. Made it a year and with vaccines just on the horizon too. :rip:

Eh, don’t be so sure. Kids seem to have a variety of reasons why they are sometimes significantly less susceptible to spreading the virus. What’s clear is that kids don’t play by the same rules as adults, but no one really knows why yet.

That said, if yours are both running high fevers like that and have tested positive, then my wholly uneducated guess is that they’re probably already past the various stages of the infection cycle that lead to kids generally faring better, are now properly adult-level infected, and thus more likely to have a higher viral load that they’re shedding to infect you. Therefore you may be out of luck.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 1, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Children don’t spread it, except when they do.

quote:

Furthermore, preliminary modelling analyses based on data from the UK Office for National Statistics's COVID-19 infection survey6 found that secondary school-aged children are about eight times more likely to introduce an infection to a household than adults.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30927-0/fulltext

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I hope someone is running a clinical trial on using the MMR vaccine against covid. There’s probably a reasonable proportion of people who mistrust the new ones that would be willing to take a proven vaccine like MMR, especially among health care workers, if it offers a degree of protection. If it’s manageable to ramp up production and distribution, it might even be good to offer it to populations that aren’t close to getting the new vaccines, too.

(I know there are lots of idiots who won’t take any vaccines, ever, and obviously that’s not fixable this way.)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

pidan posted:

It's heartening that people are that eager to get the vaccine. Let's hope the supply chain speeds up!

Well, at least here they approved yet another vaccine, a French company is starting additional in-EU-production line and in Finland we got medical approval from both manufacturer and government for a non-special equipment-requiring technique that ensures that each bottle can be used for 7 shots, instead of what the garden hose spouted into those vials.

We also have our own vaccine in low-key development and test trials, but that is aimed more towards putting the stray cases to rest when the pandemic is over.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I remember a lot of people used to talk about the 'second wave.'

I was reading some articles today that were postulating that by mid-March, 'variant' coronaviruses would be the most prevalent strains.

Does this mean that in a few months we'll actually hit the 'second wave?'

It's depressing to think that we're six weeks shy of being able to legitimately say that we're in the second year of pandemic measures.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

I was reading some articles today that were postulating that by mid-March, 'variant' coronaviruses would be the most prevalent strains.

It's depressing to think that we're six weeks shy of being able to legitimately say that we're in the second year of pandemic measures.

Most places do not have the second wave because they never managed to put the first one out of commission. Luckily the current vaccines seem to work also against all new variants, but in places where the antivaccers and denialists have support the British one is the second wave so to speak.

And yes, since especially the British one is much more potent at spreading, it will take over as the primary strain in no time, and the numbers will start going up again. Especially in places that do not put the restrictions back in place and do not vaccinate efficiently with everything they have. In our country the restrictions sort-of worked; the general numbers are low, especially outside the capital region, but people are getting tired of being always at home. My second year in more-or-less home curfew and WFH starts in five weeks when our campuses closed down indefinitely for general public. They were open for some 10 weeks last Fall but only for the first-year students.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

explosivo posted:

What is the point of different phases and sub phases if we're months into this and still in 1A

To be fair, we're one month and a few days into the vaccination program.

They've administered 31 million doses across the US as of today. I don't think just under a million injections per day is something to be scoffed at. It's a major feat of public administration to get where we're at, and it's only going to accelerate from here.

Steely Dad posted:

I hope someone is running a clinical trial on using the MMR vaccine against covid. There’s probably a reasonable proportion of people who mistrust the new ones that would be willing to take a proven vaccine like MMR, especially among health care workers, if it offers a degree of protection. If it’s manageable to ramp up production and distribution, it might even be good to offer it to populations that aren’t close to getting the new vaccines, too.

(I know there are lots of idiots who won’t take any vaccines, ever, and obviously that’s not fixable this way.)

What makes you think the MMR vaccine would be effective against Covid-19? Do any of the virii in that vaccine have traits in common with SARS-CoV-2?

TheCenturion posted:

In a Scandinavian setting, November marked the start of the second wave. We averaged something like 0.5 deaths daily over summer, but when schools and universities had been in session for a couple of months, spread started up and exploded. Also, people going clubbing and partying indoors etc. Who knows why, really, but we broke the April record for deaths in January. So yes, there were two waves, so far, with the second one currently subsiding due to more measures taken (closing nightclubs for one thing), and another wave could hit once the UK variant takes hold (which it will inevitably).

Edit edit:

vvv Huh, interesting. Thanks for the link!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 1, 2021

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

There is some observational evidence that people who (recently?) got the MMR shot have milder covid:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90266

I don't think we know much more about how and why this is the case. Some people have suspected that this is why Vietnam managed to keep covid in check, they've apparently had a big MMR vaccination effort in the last decades.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I think the idea is that the MMR gets your immune system warmed up and ready to kick rear end so it's quicker to respond to new threats.

Re: rite aid vaxx appts, we had a similar problem with a hospital in a neighboring city. There was some miscommunication about a vaccine surplus, someone gave out the registration link, and a whoooole lot of people signed up. Hell I even signed my partner up since they're super low on the priority list. Turns out it was for 1A only. I feel bad for whoever hosed that one up.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Fame Douglas posted:

No clue, but over here, the city has an (online) list you can put your name on for left over vaccines, as long as you're able to get to places within the city limits within 1-2 hours on short notice. Maybe check if something like this is available.

God this stupidily brilliant. I wonder why more states aren't doing this? (I know the answer to that question) if you don't mind asking what state are you in? I'm going to email my governor or senators or whoever to ask them to implement this.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

coronatae posted:

I think the idea is that the MMR gets your immune system warmed up and ready to kick rear end so it's quicker to respond to new threats.

Re: rite aid vaxx appts, we had a similar problem with a hospital in a neighboring city. There was some miscommunication about a vaccine surplus, someone gave out the registration link, and a whoooole lot of people signed up. Hell I even signed my partner up since they're super low on the priority list. Turns out it was for 1A only. I feel bad for whoever hosed that one up.

BCG does this as well and is better at it.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

You helped flatten the curve. If you die next month, you still may have saved other lives back in April or whenever the local peak was in your town, when you didn't catch&spread it thanks to good self-isolation. Keep doing your best and hang in there.

Thanks. Yeah I'm frustrated with the whole thing, so I was being a little hyperbolic about us catching it and dying. Really we don't know what the outcome is going to be, but regardless not going to stop bunkering until we get our vaccines.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

coronatae posted:

It seems like the immune system warmup would be easy to evaluate with all of the data that is been generated over the last year: People aged 25-39 with kids in daycare vs no kids. I was sick more times the first year my kid was in daycare then probably my entire life before it. If immune stimulation helps against Covid, that should be a noticeable effect.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Oh my god is nothing sacred? Losing sense of taste and smell for a few weeks, that sucks, but making everything smell and taste like literal poo poo indefinitely? Wtf?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

To be fair, we're one month and a few days into the vaccination program.

They've administered 31 million doses across the US as of today. I don't think just under a million injections per day is something to be scoffed at. It's a major feat of public administration to get where we're at, and it's only going to accelerate from here

Yeah, I know, it's easy to lose sight of the overall accomplishment of this vaccine rollout happening so fast in the grand scheme of things but even still after seeing how it was bungled throughout last year and seeing it continue to be bungled now in various ways it's still frustrating. My partner and I are both technically essential workers who have pre-existing conditions and have signed up through the county's website but it's hard to not feel like I'm just sitting around waiting while other people are managing to skip the lines by doing things like seek out appointments at pharamcies and whatnot. There is a plan in place, it just feels like nobody's following it. Which in turn makes me feel like I need to be more proactive about finding appointments because I know other people are doing the same.
:sigh:

naem
May 29, 2011

Akuma posted:

Oh my god is nothing sacred? Losing sense of taste and smell for a few weeks, that sucks, but making everything smell and taste like literal poo poo indefinitely? Wtf?

stroke victims get that too

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

They've administered 31 million doses across the US as of today. I don't think just under a million injections per day is something to be scoffed at. It's a major feat of public administration to get where we're at, and it's only going to accelerate from here.

While it's an impressive number in isolation, that's still the better part of two years to get two jabs into the arms of 300 million people.

In the UK everyone's slapping themselves on the back that we're passing 400k injections/day, and completely ignoring that the cheat code we gave ourselves of not bothering with second doses until whenever we feel like it mean that it's effectively meaningless, especially as we've no idea how well, if at all, immunity holds up on this hosed-up schedule.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

explosivo posted:

My partner and I are both technically essential workers

To the people in power, there are essential workers and then there are “essential workers”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In the UK everyone's slapping themselves on the back that we're passing 400k injections/day, and completely ignoring that the cheat code we gave ourselves of not bothering with second doses until whenever we feel like it mean that it's effectively meaningless, especially as we've no idea how well, if at all, immunity holds up on this hosed-up schedule.

I would sincerely prefer a “double or nothing” option. Flip a coin. Heads, you get a second dose on schedule. Tails, you go to the very back of the line for the first dose.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

naem posted:

stroke victims get that too
Yeah but the really shocking thing from that article is the scientist saying "yeah nobody's really researched it very much because barely anybody ever had it happen" until now where millions of people have had it happen.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's dumb as hell medically but might actually be a good move socially, because many people who've had both doses aren't going to stay locked down no matter that they can transmit it still.
I got UK dose 1 today despite not even being on the schedule, because enough front-line health and social care aren't bothering that they opened it to everyone in our organisations (dedicated service; they wouldn't give it to more needy people). Disappointing that they're already scrabbling around for willing arms.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 1, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Akuma posted:

Yeah but the really shocking thing from that article is the scientist saying "yeah nobody's really researched it very much because barely anybody ever had it happen" until now where millions of people have had it happen.

No the really shocking thing from that article is this:

"Clare enjoying a pamper day with her eldest daughter - but perfume now smells revolting to her"

What the gently caress is even going on here?

Is her eldest daughter a Real Doll?

Did they take that picture through some uncanny valley filter in their favorite video chat app?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
yeah that's deffo that filter that removes everything from your skin so it looks like a wall of plastic, as its supposed to.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
These are androids

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

No the really shocking thing from that article is this:

"Clare enjoying a pamper day with her eldest daughter - but perfume now smells revolting to her"

What the gently caress is even going on here?

Is her eldest daughter a Real Doll?

Did they take that picture through some uncanny valley filter in their favorite video chat app?

Lol I saw this too but decided against posting about it because it's tangentially related at best but I'm glad I wasn't the only one to see it and say "Holy poo poo!" out loud at that picture.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Looks like a poor choice of focal length.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LibCrusher posted:

So I got the covid. I’ve been... going to restaurants and stuff
lmfao get owned plaguebitch

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

Eh, don’t be so sure. Kids seem to have a variety of reasons why they are sometimes significantly less susceptible to spreading the virus. What’s clear is that kids don’t play by the same rules as adults, but no one really knows why yet.

That said, if yours are both running high fevers like that and have tested positive, then my wholly uneducated guess is that they’re probably already past the various stages of the infection cycle that lead to kids generally faring better, are now properly adult-level infected, and thus more likely to have a higher viral load that they’re shedding to infect you. Therefore you may be out of luck.

Well, now I am at around 100-101 degrees so it is looking like we are all going to be positive. At least I don't need to sleep on the couch again. Kid pretty efficiently got our house.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

explosivo posted:

Yeah, I know, it's easy to lose sight of the overall accomplishment of this vaccine rollout happening so fast in the grand scheme of things but even still after seeing how it was bungled throughout last year and seeing it continue to be bungled now in various ways it's still frustrating. My partner and I are both technically essential workers who have pre-existing conditions and have signed up through the county's website but it's hard to not feel like I'm just sitting around waiting while other people are managing to skip the lines by doing things like seek out appointments at pharamcies and whatnot. There is a plan in place, it just feels like nobody's following it. Which in turn makes me feel like I need to be more proactive about finding appointments because I know other people are doing the same.
:sigh:

Keep in mind that the folks that are just like, waiting around for extra doses, it's not like the pharmacy has someone more qualified just standing there ready to go. It's impossible for most facilities to outreach enough or to have enough time to vet or triage who 'should' be getting the shot now. Either that rando gets it or it gets thrown away. So I don't really see it as people jumping the line as long as they're not like, literally jumping in front of more qualified people that are waiting around.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Our health department had to give 400 doses to teachers because they didn't have enough old people lined up and everyone on facebook is pissed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goldaline posted:

Keep in mind that the folks that are just like, waiting around for extra doses, it's not like the pharmacy has someone more qualified just standing there ready to go. It's impossible for most facilities to outreach enough or to have enough time to vet or triage who 'should' be getting the shot now. Either that rando gets it or it gets thrown away. So I don't really see it as people jumping the line as long as they're not like, literally jumping in front of more qualified people that are waiting around.

I know. My anger isn't really justified in this case but it's still just this waiting game that I hate because I keep telling myself I should probably be doing more to get vaccines for the ones I love but just have to wait for my name to come up I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wa27 posted:

Our health department had to give 400 doses to teachers because they didn't have enough old people lined up and everyone on facebook is pissed.

Blame Walgreens and CVS, and also the state government for contracting with them.