Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Spirit Farmer is... fine? It's probably the closest to Harvest Moon that i can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

LLSix posted:

Beware of Chicken made me hungry for more farming oriented stories. Which I didn't know any Isekai did but apparently a lot of them do. Are there any good ones? I mostly just want to read harvest moon or stardew valley, the story.

Sadly most of the ones I can think of that involve farming either quickly move away from the farming angle, or become trashy power fantasies really quickly.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

LLSix posted:

Beware of Chicken made me hungry for more farming oriented stories. Which I didn't know any Isekai did but apparently a lot of them do. Are there any good ones? I mostly just want to read harvest moon or stardew valley, the story.

Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan is about an agricultural nerd who is transported back to the days of Oda Nobunaga and sets about fixing farming so that, hopefully, he won't kill her. It's very good!

Isekai de Tochi wo Katte Noujou wo Tsukurou is trashy and silly but is about a dude who starts a farm out in the wilderness and hangs out with his sexy mermaid wife and has tons of power but mostly just wants to farm and cook food.

Isekai Nonbiri Nouka is also trashy and silly and IMO not that great, but is about a dude who starts a farming village in the middle of nowhere with an all-powerful magical farming tool.

Seirei-Tachi no Rakuen is about a dude who gets isekai'd into the world's worst wasteland possible and promises the local nature spirits he's gonna fix the place up, with the aid of a bunch of absurdly powerful farming tools that make the task possible, if not easy. It's...decent?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mors Rattus posted:

Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan is about an agricultural nerd who is transported back to the days of Oda Nobunaga and sets about fixing farming so that, hopefully, he won't kill her. It's very good!

Isekai de Tochi wo Katte Noujou wo Tsukurou is trashy and silly but is about a dude who starts a farm out in the wilderness and hangs out with his sexy mermaid wife and has tons of power but mostly just wants to farm and cook food.

Isekai Nonbiri Nouka is also trashy and silly and IMO not that great, but is about a dude who starts a farming village in the middle of nowhere with an all-powerful magical farming tool.

Seirei-Tachi no Rakuen is about a dude who gets isekai'd into the world's worst wasteland possible and promises the local nature spirits he's gonna fix the place up, with the aid of a bunch of absurdly powerful farming tools that make the task possible, if not easy. It's...decent?

Oh, I've read 3 out of 4 of these at least!

Sengoku is definitely really good, though lately it's been moving away from farming/tech development into Plot(TM).

Isekai de Tochi is honestly not as trashy as it looks based on the cover. Despite all the obvious set ups, it hasn't become a harem and the loli dragon is actually treated like a precocious child. I also enjoy how goofy it is.

Isekai Nonbiri is as trashy as you'd think, and I got fed up with it. It quickly becomes a ridiculous harem situation, and the "joke" that the MC is always tired because every single woman in his town is part of a rotation to breed with him was just gross.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's a little more settlement builder than farmer, but last night I came across Start a leisurely lord life with a plant magic cheat After farming with the knowledge of the previous life, a reversal life began.

quote:

Exploring undeveloped unexplored regions from scratch! Creating and building a city with plant magic!
The boy Elt, who reincarnated as an aristocrat, was branded as incompetent and was thrown out as a manager of a remote area with zero territories.
However, his "plant magic" was the best all-purpose magic for territorial development!
As he cultivated by utilizing the magic that produces from crops to buildings and the knowledge of the previous life , the number of territories increased and became lively.
Moreover, the territory that should have nothing is actually a treasure trove.
A pioneering record of a different world, the opening of comicalization!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the elements of that one don't really fit together. non-combat magic is considered worthless, but no one has mentioned any major conflicts that would warrant combat magic. his magic is from a mmo, but none of the plant magic has been even remotely applicable to any sort of mmo.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

poo poo I don't care if it makes no sense the little animal thingies look so fluffy.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
If it doesn't have catgirl sex slaves, then it's probably alright for an isekai.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there an isekai where the MC is an expert at some completely useless pseudoscience like astrology or homeopathy, then it turns out that those skills are super awesome and 100% valid in the other world?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Argue posted:

Is there an isekai where the MC is an expert at some completely useless pseudoscience like astrology or homeopathy, then it turns out that those skills are super awesome and 100% valid in the other world?

Escaflowne

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

That's...actually 100% on the money. Was legit wondering if there was such a show and yeah, the main from Escaflowne is into astrology and fortune telling.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the elements of that one don't really fit together. non-combat magic is considered worthless, but no one has mentioned any major conflicts that would warrant combat magic. his magic is from a mmo, but none of the plant magic has been even remotely applicable to any sort of mmo.

Yeah, those were kind of issues I had too, which is why I didn't recommend it right away. But it's close to something that someone was looking for, and it's otherwise cute, so I figured why not.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

That show is famous for me as one of the shows that after Gundam Wing became all the rage Fox kids or whoever was like "poo poo, everyone loves this robot stuff, what can we get real quick? fantasy robots? perfect, we'll make bank"

Like years later i realized why the show seemed so weird given it was clearly censored pretty aggressively that it had a wildly different target audience then Gundam.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Argue posted:

there's actually a feng shui isekai wn and it is exactly as good as you would expect. in the first chapter the mc thinks about how every single 'feng shui practitioner' he's ever met was a fraud and then concluded that it must be because they hadn't had sufficient expertise, not that it was bullshit that only works in a magical otherworld.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 1, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

pentyne posted:

That show is famous for me as one of the shows that after Gundam Wing became all the rage Fox kids or whoever was like "poo poo, everyone loves this robot stuff, what can we get real quick? fantasy robots? perfect, we'll make bank"

Like years later i realized why the show seemed so weird given it was clearly censored pretty aggressively that it had a wildly different target audience then Gundam.

I'll never forgive Fox for replacing the orchestral music with electronic

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

I'll never forgive Fox for replacing the orchestral music with electronic

THEY DID WHAT

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

THEY DID WHAT

Get ready to hate-click

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BGINS86ok

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The Strongest Florist, a VRMMO webtoon, is kind of going in a settlement builder direction now, as its hero has been roped into building a town for elves in the desert. It's okay. It's not great, but it's not terrible either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in florist, everyone else is playing a mmo but the mc is just kind of doing whatever and it works out in his favor.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

pentyne posted:

Even better, Fox licensed one of the most popular anime in Japan at the time, a show about a boy detective and his gang of friends who solve mysteries which was sure to be a gigantic hit in the US.

That's right, they licensed Detective Conan, only no one paid enough attention to realize that most of the mysteries the kids solve are gruesome murders, including a teenager being violently decapitated in the very first episode. It never even saw airplay on Fox.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in florist, everyone else is playing a mmo but the mc is just kind of doing whatever and it works out in his favor.

A lot of the jokes about the side characters don't land at all for me, but the MC is likable and funny, and it's entertaining to see him try fulfill his dreams.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Detective Conan was loving great and one hell of a show to watch when you're six lol

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ah yes, the theme song is just someone chanting the title of the show. The SatAM specialty.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I remember being fascinated by the lore and bought the box set that had the mech figure. I was really disappointed that they didn't world build more, but I (and the internet) was too young to look for and get manga at that time. I wonder if it holds up today?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what, escaflowne? the ending is a bit poo poo, but otherwise it's a dang fine show.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, I'm wondering what they cut.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Pretty much the entire first episode.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

Pretty much the entire first episode.

Basically Fox attempted to switch the MC from Hitomi to Van, hence the complete cut of the first episode and music changes. It lasted 10 episodes in that form because surprise trying to swap around the target audience like that is a loving joke.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was thinking changes from the Manga. I didn't realize they messed up the actual NA release that way. Wow.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

MadHat posted:

Basically Fox attempted to switch the MC from Hitomi to Van, hence the complete cut of the first episode and music changes. It lasted 10 episodes in that form because surprise trying to swap around the target audience like that is a loving joke.

Didn't the company that localized Cardcaptor Sakura for Kids WB do the same thing, trying to rewrite the story so that Syaoran Li was the lead instead of Sakura?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The anime was the original story. There were two manga based on it that were pretty different in their presentation. One was more shonen action focused, and the other was more of a shojo romance style.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

W.T. Fits posted:

Didn't the company that localized Cardcaptor Sakura for Kids WB do the same thing, trying to rewrite the story so that Syaoran Li was the lead instead of Sakura?

Yes, but it didn’t really work and they eventually walked it back. But yeah they originally skipped all the pre-Limepisodes.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

nrook posted:

The Strongest Florist, a VRMMO webtoon, is kind of going in a settlement builder direction now, as its hero has been roped into building a town for elves in the desert. It's okay. It's not great, but it's not terrible either.

I think what kills this for me is that despite the premise, the series never really nerds out on details of growing flowers. Since the MC claims it's been his dream to open a flower shop since forever, I assumed he'd tell us all about fertilizer, growing flowers, pruning, floral presentation or even flower language, but there's absolutely nothing. The florist angle is really just set dressing for a generic VRMMO thing. I also read ahead on the raws a bit and it seems like it goes up its own rear end on the settlement building aspect.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MadHat posted:

It come off as extremely weird because Gundam Wing was all about dudes in robots fighting other dudes in robots and very little else, and Escaflowne clearly had way more non-robot poo poo going one that the edits tried to avoid as much as possible.

There's quite a few anime shows from the late 90s/00s that were adapted into something else or just didn't make sense. Candidate for Goddess was one I'm sure I saw a few episodes of and could not tell you the slightest bit about it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

pentyne posted:

It come off as extremely weird because Gundam Wing was all about dudes in robots fighting other dudes in robots and very little else, and Escaflowne clearly had way more non-robot poo poo going one that the edits tried to avoid as much as possible.

There's quite a few anime shows from the late 90s/00s that were adapted into something else or just didn't make sense. Candidate for Goddess was one I'm sure I saw a few episodes of and could not tell you the slightest bit about it.

Didn't Candidate for Goddess get dropped halfway through?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Holy poo poo, if you've only watched the Fox butchered Escaflowne you really owe it to yourself to watch the real thing. It absolutely holds up and really shows how poo poo modern isekai is.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

pnumoman posted:

Holy poo poo, if you've only watched the Fox butchered Escaflowne you really owe it to yourself to watch the real thing. It absolutely holds up and really shows how poo poo modern isekai is.

they even redid the horrible butchered 90s dub so you have no excuse

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

LLSix posted:

Didn't Candidate for Goddess get dropped halfway through?

Dropped on episode 12 I think? If I'm remembering right the CGI got too expensive and the series got canceled in Japan.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

pnumoman posted:

Seeing some of the stuff that's come out these last few years including the current running "Grandfather" of isekai...I've got nothing. Where did the genre go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

doomrider7 posted:

Seeing some of the stuff that's come out these last few years including the current running "Grandfather" of isekai...I've got nothing. Where did the genre go wrong?

When it stopped being about female main characters, obviously.