Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ah, that would be early Gothic fiction. A really lurid one that's been on my to-read list for a while is Horrid Mysteries. If you want a specifically American recommendation, there's also Charles Brockden Brown.

Sham bam thank you maam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

good snipe

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

cebrail posted:

What's some good Russian literature from the 20th century? I haven't read anything newer than Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.

A new translation of Vasily Grossman's Stalingrad came out recently.

Maybe Nadezhda Mandelstam who I haven't read but have heard good things about.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Burning Rain posted:

What kind of stuff are you into? And does it have to be Russian or can it be Russian-language literature from other Soviet states (e.g., Chingiz Aytmatov)?

I like social novels like most of Tolstoy, Bronte or Mann, but also post modern lit and almost everything else from the mid 20th century. And I honestly know nothing about the relation ship between literature from Russia and Russian-language literature from anywhere else, so yes, absolutely! I wasn't even thinking about that distinction.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm reading the Epic of Gilgamesh and it's really cool

especially the introduction (penguin classics edition) where it talks about all the work put into restoring tablets and filling in the blanks where possible

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

cebrail posted:

What's some good Russian literature from the 20th century? I haven't read anything newer than Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.

not sure if it's up your alley, but i'm reading dream in polar fog by yuri rytkheu, a chukchi author who wrote in both chukchi and russian. so far it rules. makes me feel cold, though

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I just finished Ulysses and I really liked it, but I feel that I missed out on a good amount. (Hurray for the Goddamned idiot!) I mostly went in wanting to get drowned in it and enjoy the ride like Moby Dick and Gravity’s Rainbow. I remember there was a goon-recommended guide to it, but I can’t recall what it was. Any advice for a companion piece for a reread?

I also recently read “Drive Your Plow...”, “Lincoln in the Bardo” and “Dictionary of the Khazars” and really enjoyed them. Thanks for the recommendations, thread.

Edit: and Knausgaard. It was ‘fantastic!’ I thought that even the 400 page Hitler essay was insightful. I’d read a 50 page short story about him doing just about anything.

Edit 2: I’ve read Davis’s translations of Proust and Madame Bovary. Is there a recommendation for a jumping off point for her work? I’d like to check out a solid publication of her writings.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 3, 2021

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Karenina posted:

not sure if it's up your alley, but i'm reading dream in polar fog by yuri rytkheu, a chukchi author who wrote in both chukchi and russian. so far it rules. makes me feel cold, though

That's not at all what I was looking for but it sounds fascinating, I'll definitely check it out

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The North Tower posted:

I just finished Ulysses and I really liked it, but I feel that I missed out on a good amount. (Hurray for the Goddamned idiot!) I mostly went in wanting to get drowned in it and enjoy the ride like Moby Dick and Gravity’s Rainbow. I remember there was a goon-recommended guide to it, but I can’t recall what it was. Any advice for a companion piece for a reread?

There's a guide to it by his friend stuart gilbert that's quite readable. Alternatively there's the reader's guide by harry blamires, can't quite remember what that's called, or the book 'ulysses and us' by declan kiberd. If it's any consolation the reread is where everything really clicks, or at least it did for me, and I was just relying on wikipedia for both my first two go-rounds

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The Blamires guide is The New Bloomsday Book. I read it ages ago but recall it being helpful.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

For the real heads Gifford and Seidman's Ulysses Annotated is where you go for line-by-line exegesis but I don't know if you want to go that far

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

The North Tower posted:

Edit 2: I’ve read Davis’s translations of Proust and Madame Bovary. Is there a recommendation for a jumping off point for her work? I’d like to check out a solid publication of her writings.

i bought the complete collection of her short stories recently and the first few were very good.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

cebrail posted:

Loads of good recs already I'll just echo that Babel's short story collections are excellent. I also like both of the Mandelstams, although some of Osip Mandelstam's stuff can be pretty obtuse (ie The Egyptian Stamp).

Tolstaya is good if you like short stories. Eugenia Ginsburg wrote a great novel called Into the Worldwind about her experiences in the gulags that I'd also recommend.

But my personal favorite Russian work of the 20th century is Grossman's Life and Fate.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Loads of good recs already I'll just echo that Babel's short story collections are excellent. I also like both of the Mandelstams, although some of Osip Mandelstam's stuff can be pretty obtuse (ie The Egyptian Stamp).

Tolstaya is good if you like short stories. Eugenia Ginsburg wrote a great novel called Into the Worldwind about her experiences in the gulags that I'd also recommend.

But my personal favorite Russian work of the 20th century is Grossman's Life and Fate.

Another vote for Babel. Red Cavalry (connected short stories/kind of novel I suppose) is phenom. Last year I read the Penguin edition of Red Cavalry and Other Stories, McDuff's the translator, it's got Babel's famous Odessa tales in it too - if you get it, I'd read Red Cavalry first and then go to the other stuff. McDuff did a stellar job translating Red Cavalry but the Odessa tales loose some oomph in translation, too stuffy and literal I reckon, but still funny.

Sergei Dovlatov is a good one for emigre fiction. Pushkin Hills got a good translation recently though I prefer The Suitcase. Short satirical novels.

Out of all the excellent recommendations in this thread, Venedikt Yerofeev's Moscow-Petushki (has like 5 different translations with slightly different titles but its the same book) is my favourite, genius work and hilarious.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

Morning Bell posted:

Another vote for Babel. Red Cavalry (connected short stories/kind of novel I suppose) is phenom. Last year I read the Penguin edition of Red Cavalry and Other Stories, McDuff's the translator, it's got Babel's famous Odessa tales in it too - if you get it, I'd read Red Cavalry first and then go to the other stuff. McDuff did a stellar job translating Red Cavalry but the Odessa tales loose some oomph in translation, too stuffy and literal I reckon, but still funny.

Sergei Dovlatov is a good one for emigre fiction. Pushkin Hills got a good translation recently though I prefer The Suitcase. Short satirical novels.

Out of all the excellent recommendations in this thread, Venedikt Yerofeev's Moscow-Petushki (has like 5 different translations with slightly different titles but its the same book) is my favourite, genius work and hilarious.

I really enjoyed the Red Calvary Stories but I think I still prefer the Odessa tales. The short story Karl Yankel is one of my favorite stories ever.

Did a little digging through my old short story collections and found one of my favorites from 20th century Russia: A Week Like Any Other by Natalya Baranskaya. Highly recommend. I didn't really know anything about Soviet domestic life and this story offers a heartbreaking description of the hypocrisies facing Soviet women during the Cold War Soviet Union.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Anyone into Ottessa Moshfegh? I found her work through a short story on The Paris Review podcast and got sucked in from there. I read My Year of Rest and Relaxation this time last year--now painfully relevant--and Eileen is next up on my list. She's a huge fan of Gary Lutz; I think that's in large part where the grotesqueness, and the invention of new ways of thinking/writing/narrating in order to escape the disgusting world, comes from. A choice quote from an interview with her in Harper's Bazaar:

quote:

I'm a snob when it comes to reading. It's very depressing to read lovely books. And worse are books that don't know that they're lovely—they're praised and awarded and puffed up. They lower the standard for excellence for us all. It's terrorism. Not that everything has to be a masterpiece—that's impossible. I like Anne Tyler—I read almost all her novels within a few months last year after I stumbled across two of her early novels, A Slipping Down Life and Earthly Possessions. Those were fantastic and so different. I fell in love. I made a little study of her development and discovered something therapeutic in her work. She writes really banal, domestic novels and I feel safe in her hands. She's not going to try to wow me. That's what I hate the most when I read. A lot of people confuse desperation and bloated ego for genius. It's embarrassing to read. I can kind of sense those books in a physical way. I stay away from them in the bookstore.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
i really liked death in her hands

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Great Moshfegh interview that one. I her interviews she's almost never dull.

Only read Homesick for Another World it's my favourite short story collection recommendation to 30-somethings who don't read short stories. It's good.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

snailshell posted:

Anyone into Ottessa Moshfegh? I found her work through a short story on The Paris Review podcast and got sucked in from there. I read My Year of Rest and Relaxation this time last year--now painfully relevant--and Eileen is next up on my list. She's a huge fan of Gary Lutz; I think that's in large part where the grotesqueness, and the invention of new ways of thinking/writing/narrating in order to escape the disgusting world, comes from. A choice quote from an interview with her in Harper's Bazaar:

Never read her but this quote makes me want to.

Also, obligatory gently caress Ben Lerner.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

thehoodie posted:

Also, obligatory gently caress Ben Lerner.

never read any of his stuff. is it because of the bad writing Moshfegh describes, or a different reason?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

snailshell posted:

I haven't read anything by her but now I feel compelled to check her out. That whole interview was great, but I really liked what she had to say about Bukowski. His writing is filled with male rage and neediness and it's all about these totally pathetic depressed rear end in a top hat sexist losers, but, like her, what really stands out to me about him was how emotionally honest and tender he could be. Ham On Rye in particular, there's still parts of that I think about even though it's been at least 10 years since I've read it. Bukowski really appealed to me as a teenage girl, but it seems like I never hear about other female Bukowski fans so this was interesting to read. I also haven't read him in years, so I don't know if I would still appreciate him now or just find him obnoxious.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

never read any of his stuff. is it because of the bad writing Moshfegh describes, or a different reason?
The city had converted an elevated length of abandoned railway spur into an aerial greenway and the agent and I were walking south along it in the unseasonable warmth after an outrageously expensive celebratory meal in Chelsea that included baby octopuses the chef had literally massaged to death. We had ingested the impossibly tender things entire, the first intact head I had ever consumed, let alone of an animal that decorates its lair, has been observed at complicated play. We walked south among the dimly gleaming disused rails and carefully placed stands of sumac and smoke bush until we reached that part of the High Line where a cut has been made into the deck and wooden steps descend several layers below the structure; the lowest level is fitted with upright windows overlooking Tenth Avenue to form a kind of amphitheatre where you can sit and watch the traffic. We sat and watched the traffic and I am kidding and I am not kidding when I say that I intuited an alien intelligence, felt subject to a succession of images, sensations, memories, and affects that did not, properly speaking, belong to me: the ability to perceive polarized light; a conflation of taste and touch as salt was rubbed into the suction cups; a terror localized in my extremities, bypassing the brain completely.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You might have seen me sitting there on the bench that midnight, my hair matted down from the bandanna, eating an irresponsible quantity of unsulfured mango, and having, as I projected myself into the future, a mild lacrimal event.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The city had converted an elevated length of abandoned railway spur into an aerial greenway and the agent and I were walking south along it in the unseasonable warmth after an outrageously expensive celebratory meal in Chelsea that included baby octopuses the chef had literally massaged to death. We had ingested the impossibly tender things entire, the first intact head I had ever consumed, let alone of an animal that decorates its lair, has been observed at complicated play. We walked south among the dimly gleaming disused rails and carefully placed stands of sumac and smoke bush until we reached that part of the High Line where a cut has been made into the deck and wooden steps descend several layers below the structure; the lowest level is fitted with upright windows overlooking Tenth Avenue to form a kind of amphitheatre where you can sit and watch the traffic. We sat and watched the traffic and I am kidding and I am not kidding when I say that I intuited an alien intelligence, felt subject to a succession of images, sensations, memories, and affects that did not, properly speaking, belong to me: the ability to perceive polarized light; a conflation of taste and touch as salt was rubbed into the suction cups; a terror localized in my extremities, bypassing the brain completely.

gently caress. you.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
seriously gently caress you sham

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

that gave me a lacrimal event i tell you hwhat

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Im working on a novel. It's about a writer living in Manhattan and

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

what’s a ben lerner

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeeZ5eRZjlU&t=66s

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Was looking for a classic lit thread. I think this might be it?

Started reading War and Peace. I'm really enjoying it.

On the side I've been reading and studying Shakespeare because I need something light in comparison to W&P.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
After finishing Knausgaard and his examinations of a few books, I’ve been reading Moretti’s Signs Taken for Wonders, and it’s been interesting insight into ‘academic’ (not sure if the quotes are needed) literature critique. I haven’t read every book mentioned, but I thought the essay on Dracula as metaphor for capitalism/Frankenstein [‘s monster] as the proletariat was enlightening. It’s Marxist lit critique, but I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for what to read next? I read Bloom’s Western Canon (mostly bought it for the list) and Nabokov’s Lectures on Don Quixote (he sure doesn’t like it) and am finding out that I really like to read people’s thoughts on books (such as this wonderful thread), whether or not I agree with it. (Nabokov reminds me of my aunt who wouldn’t let me watch cartoons because they’re violent, so I disagree, but I get where he’s coming from)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
moretti is a sex pest but you could read graphs, maps, trees if you're looking for more of the same

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nabokov got off on being a contrarian with respect to the Western canon, but he's also annoyingly right a lot of the time.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I struggle to trust the opinions of someone who calls Dostoyevsky a “cheap, clumsy and vulgar sensationalist” but JD Salinger “one of the finest artists”

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Read Saramago’s Death with Interruptions, my first of his. I know it’s supposed to be one of his lesser books, but I really enjoyed it, especially the more meandering, discursive first part. Will have to read Blindness at some point.

I’m curious if anyone has recommendations of authors from the Baltics?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The North Tower posted:

After finishing Knausgaard and his examinations of a few books, I’ve been reading Moretti’s Signs Taken for Wonders, and it’s been interesting insight into ‘academic’ (not sure if the quotes are needed) literature critique. I haven’t read every book mentioned, but I thought the essay on Dracula as metaphor for capitalism/Frankenstein [‘s monster] as the proletariat was enlightening. It’s Marxist lit critique, but I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for what to read next? I read Bloom’s Western Canon (mostly bought it for the list) and Nabokov’s Lectures on Don Quixote (he sure doesn’t like it) and am finding out that I really like to read people’s thoughts on books (such as this wonderful thread), whether or not I agree with it. (Nabokov reminds me of my aunt who wouldn’t let me watch cartoons because they’re violent, so I disagree, but I get where he’s coming from)

A lot of John Cowper Powys essays are just him getting really excited about old books he likes. I've read some of Wyndham Lewis' literary criticism and it's usually pretty cool because even if his conclusions are often bizarre or eccentric he was an extremely keen observer so you end up noticing new things about whatever he's talking about even if his opinion is completely different to yours.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ulvir posted:

what’s a ben lerner

Very carefully

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

smug n stuff posted:

I’m curious if anyone has recommendations of authors from the Baltics?

Alberts Bels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
At the risk of sounding utterly pedantic:

Reading War and Peace has satiated a deep hunger in me that has panged me for so long. Growing up I loved RPGs and deep stories with an entire roster of fascinating characters to note and keep track of. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden, Tactics Ogre, Fallout, Planescape, and Baldur's Gate would fill my proverbial stomach with the most delightful of tastes: philosophy, war, loyalty, legacy, morality.

A big reason I've fallen away from video games is that I feel the higher the budget the less we likely we get these kinds of experiences. Today's games - and especially RPGs - are for wish fulfillment, not stating something important. The past decade I've solely read non-fiction works, far more interested in the mechanisms of this world than the ones of fantasy, yet all this time I've craved deep stories like those of my youth where I had to get out a notebook to make sense of the characters and world. As I read War and Peace, for the first time in the longest of time I feel full. Going through a story that makes me question my very being and every chapter makes me lick my fingers, as if finishing off a delightful meal.

War and Peace has single-handedly reignited a love for literature and reading fiction again. I'm thinking of reading Crime and Punishment after. Reading Tolstoy has helped me accept how much I've grown out of video games yet still cherish the experiences I had when I was younger. I'll devote more time to literature instead of continuing to chase something that's not there anymore.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 9, 2021