Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Has anyone run the numbers of energy usage between Safari and Firefox on M1. Dumb I know, but it's something that peaked my curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

the corona quid posted:

There’s pros and cons either way in my opinion and the better buy for the long term isn’t going to be known for a while I reckon

I’ve heard things about the Air running hotter temperatures generally and the flip side of that is that the fan in the Pro is a mechanical part that appears to be rarely used which makes it a higher failure risk in my opinion. I’m probably going to force the fan to spin up on mine every month or so just to keep the bearings and motor fresh, but that’s just my pseudo-mechanic arm chair thoughts on things 🤷🏼‍♂️

I wouldn't bother. The fan should always be running. The only reason people claim it's "off" is that when the system is idle it's running at speeds so low it isn't audible unless you put your ear right next to the computer.

I have an air and it doesn't run hot at all. I've deliberately put it under max load, and it self-limits the M1 chip's power to about 10W over the long term. This is enough to make parts of the case feel warm, but not hot.

There is no doubt that the Pro is faster for sustained loads, and will usually keep itself cooler. But the Air's enough to do lots of jobs. I have no regrets, especially because

Hadlock posted:

lol @ this feature being deployed for 5 years and it's just as broken as when it was released

M1 air crew gets to be all :smuggo: at having no touchbar

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I decided on the Air partially because the only thing I’ve ever had to get replaced on a Mac in the past 20 years is the fans. (It being “good enough” without a fan is the only way this makes sense though.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

looks like the monitor on my late '13 iMac has booted for the last time :rip:

It sounds like it's still booting so I'm going to have to try to get a monitor to see if I can still log in and move poo poo to a drive or something (mainly some backup photo libraries from vacations that I kept separate from my main icloud photo library). Almost everything else was already in iCloud thankfully.

You had a good run, buddy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

looks like the monitor on my late '13 iMac has booted for the last time :rip:

It sounds like it's still booting so I'm going to have to try to get a monitor to see if I can still log in and move poo poo to a drive or something (mainly some backup photo libraries from vacations that I kept separate from my main icloud photo library). Almost everything else was already in iCloud thankfully.

You had a good run, buddy.

Pouring one out for an old friend.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m trying to set up a keyboard swap/repair and the person I’m chatting with asked me for my admin account username and to disable the password. I said gently caress no but in a nicer way.

What the gently caress?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 3, 2021

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Final check before I take the plunge tomorrow--anyone else used Big Mac to take a 3,1 onto Big Sur yet?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I've only taken a 5,1 to Catalina using OpenCore..

Haven't sprung for an 802.11ac Broadcom module so it's Ethernet only..

HNB: maybe it's only the LVD DisplayPort cable; if you can get an external monitor working then the GPU should be fine, at worst the LCD is gone

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 3, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m trying to set up a keyboard swap/repair and the person I’m chatting with asked me for my admin account username and to disable the password. I said gently caress no but in a nicer way.

What the gently caress?
In this situation I ended up making a standard account called "apple" and with a throwaway password. No complaints.

Or just wipe and restore.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

In this situation I ended up making a standard account called "apple" and with a throwaway password. No complaints.

Or just wipe and restore.

Is there a legitimate reason a hardware tech needs admin privileges to my computer? It just kinda flies in the face of all security protocols.

E: This wasn’t some random guy I found on Craigslist. This was the official iMessage chat with an official Apple representative.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've never given the apple people my password

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a legitimate reason a hardware tech needs admin privileges to my computer? It just kinda flies in the face of all security protocols.

E: This wasn’t some random guy I found on Craigslist. This was the official iMessage chat with an official Apple representative.

Yes there are good reasons. You can't do poo poo on apple stuff without said password.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the gently caress?

I generally wipe the machine and reinstall macOS without a password, then reinstall when I get it back. If I can’t even get in to wipe it then they can just format the thing if they need to.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It is absolutely nuts that Apple, a company that has complete and sole control over design, manufacture, firmware, software, retail, service, and support, cannot do a repair or component replacement without a user's goddamn admin password.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I mean it’s great tbh

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Fedule posted:

It is absolutely nuts that Apple, a company that has complete and sole control over design, manufacture, firmware, software, retail, service, and support, cannot do a repair or component replacement without a user's goddamn admin password.

That's by design.

If someone steals your phone or laptop, they can't socially engineer the Apple repair people into giving up the contents. Same deal for the cops trying to get information off a suspect's phone.

I'd guess that a keyboard replacement that needs the password disabled is probably because of the touch bar - it has the T1/T2 SoC in there that contains the secure enclave, because it's integrated with the touch ID sensor.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why don’t the techs and apple have a backdoor into their users machines? They have all of these resources!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Are we playing spot the fed

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah I’m confused as hell.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
lol

might hit the screen and no backlight but if you want white keys for some reason here you go

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

F indeed

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. No part of a hardware repair should need to require booting the whole OS and logging in with privileges. You should be able to replace bits of the computer without turning it on. You should be able to run a bunch of hardware diagnostics from a recovery partition. Being unable to access the startup partition is fine - and if that's hosed, you're wiping it anyway.

If needing admin access to replace a laptop display or keyboard or whatever is by design then it's a bad design. It should never, under any circumstances, be called for for an end user to hand over their login password, ever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fedule posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. No part of a hardware repair should need to require booting the whole OS and logging in with privileges. You should be able to replace bits of the computer without turning it on. You should be able to run a bunch of hardware diagnostics from a recovery partition. Being unable to access the startup partition is fine - and if that's hosed, you're wiping it anyway.

If needing admin access to replace a laptop display or keyboard or whatever is by design then it's a bad design. It should never, under any circumstances, be called for for an end user to hand over their login password, ever.

Yes let’s make it dead simple for somebody to remove easily identifying features from a stolen device like gouges and stickers

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Fedule posted:

The request wasn't for the user to hand over their password; it was to disable the admin password on the system. If there's sensitive data on there, then the appropriate action is to copy it to an external system, wipe the broken one, and hand it over with no password set.

Again, assuming this is a Touch Bar/Touch ID system, replacing the top case means replacing the secure enclave for the whole system. Either you have the user disable the lock (the sensible option), you have the user hand over their credentials directly (😬), you use a backdoor you've built in (gently caress no) or you explain to the user that all their data is going away because they're losing their FDE keys (probably not going to fly).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Space Gopher posted:

The request wasn't for the user to hand over their password; it was to disable the admin password on the system. If there's sensitive data on there, then the appropriate action is to copy it to an external system, wipe the broken one, and hand it over with no password set.

Again, assuming this is a Touch Bar/Touch ID system, replacing the top case means replacing the secure enclave for the whole system. Either you have the user disable the lock (the sensible option), you have the user hand over their credentials directly (😬), you use a backdoor you've built in (gently caress no) or you explain to the user that all their data is going away because they're losing their FDE keys (probably not going to fly).

I'll grant that for repairs requiring alteration of the startup volume or the secure enclave, you've got very few options. I contend that not many components should require such alterations though, and particularly not things like the keyboard or display (touch ID button excepted). That said, on most Macbook models I'm aware of, basically any fault tends to cause Apple to just replace the entire case, which, well, yeah, I believe I was charging that this was bad design?

Also, anecdotally, both times I've had to have an Apple repair done (one Macbook, one iPhone), they immediately just flatly asked me for my password, and I had to suggest to them that actually I should backup and wipe if they really needed such complete access.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

BBQ Dave posted:

Wait what about throttling?
BTW, just to make it completely, 100% clear: They don't check for any kind of proof if you use the online educational store. They don't even ask you to select your school like they used to, but even then I don't think they required any proof.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

davidbix posted:

BTW, just to make it completely, 100% clear: They don't check for any kind of proof if you use the online educational store. They don't even ask you to select your school like they used to, but even then I don't think they required any proof.

Apple doesn't need any proof that you're going to school to buy from the edu store. They just don't make a big deal about it, anyone can buy from there.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Yes, I sure am a :airquote: student :airquote: , I bought this MacBook Air to use for :airquote: school :airquote: and/or I am a :airquote: parent :airquote: buying this Macbook for my :airquote: student :airquote:.

Thanks for the discount so I can get 16GB RAM, suckers.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes, I sure am a :airquote: student :airquote: , I bought this MacBook Air to use for :airquote: school :airquote: and/or I am a :airquote: parent :airquote: buying this Macbook for my :airquote: student :airquote:.

Thanks for the discount so I can get 16GB RAM, suckers.

Yeah, I think that's why no one really advertises the discount. Apple really doesn't give a poo poo, they already have your money.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol at using the student discount to save $100 I stead of waiting 4 months and using the refurb store to save $400.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

American McGay posted:

Lol at using the student discount to save $100 I stead of waiting 4 months and using the refurb store to save $400.

Sure, I'd do this if my previous laptop wasn't being ground to dust from failing parts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I bought a MBP off the refurb, and traded it in for a new M1 MBA. I “lost” $100 on the MBP via trade in from Apple.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Skeezy posted:

Apple doesn't need any proof that you're going to school to buy from the edu store. They just don't make a big deal about it, anyone can buy from there.

They used to make you show college ID or log into a school account/email to get it in-store.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

Again, assuming this is a Touch Bar/Touch ID system, replacing the top case means replacing the secure enclave for the whole system.

Mmmmm, nahh.

If you're switching out a top case on an rMBP, for, say a simple battery replacement, you have to remove the Touch ID module from the old top case and move it to the new top case, unless the Touch ID module was damaged to begin with. It's considered a separate part from the Touch Bar.

New top case assemblies for 2017+ rMBPs come with a new Touch Bar, but not a new Touch ID.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

coke posted:

lol

might hit the screen and no backlight but if you want white keys for some reason here you go

iFixit showed this when the first magic keyboards started shipping on the laptops.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What all gets replace with a keyboard top case? Am I reading right that the battery gets replaced too?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

What all gets replace with a keyboard top case? Am I reading right that the battery gets replaced too?

Top Case Assembly for 2016 - 2019 rMBPs contains:

-Keyboard
-Trackpad
-Battery
-Touch Bar (unless it's a nTB model like the 2016-2017 13-inch 2-TB port rMBPs)
-Microphone
-Speakers

For 2-port 13-inch 2020 Intel and M1 MBPs, it's the same as above but the trackpad is separate.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

One other thing: on all 2016 and 2017 rMBPs, the Touch ID module is paired with the logic board at the factory. If either fails, both must be replaced and ordered at the same time.

On all 2018-2020 rMBPs, the Touch ID can be replaced independently of the logic board, although you still have to run an Apple proprietary utility to pair it if either needs to be swapped out.

Really, only something to be concerned about if you're trying to fix your 2016+ rMBP by yourself, something Apple tries super hard to get you NOT to do.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My wife’s 2017 mbp looks like this now. All the colors seem to be there, but it’s like washed out or inverted or something.

Is there any chance that this is a software problem? A new display probably exceeds the computer’s value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Try booting to the recovery partition and see if it’s still happening. If not it’s probably software. If it is maybe do the SMC/PRAM reset stuff and try again.