Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

fappenmeister posted:

Wait... what? When was this a thing?

I think it came out around fall 2011? It's the first theme I picked up as an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Monster Fighters wasn't on the list was it?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Well I'll be damned, what a cool little theme. Not a bad way to start collecting again by the looks of things. Is the castle any good?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fappenmeister posted:

Well I'll be damned, what a cool little theme. Not a bad way to start collecting again by the looks of things. Is the castle any good?

The castle is decent. It was pretty much remade in hidden side last year and had one print run then gone.

The Haunted House is clearly the crown jewel.

The frankenstein/mad scientist one has been done two other times sort of. Once for the movies sets they did a while back. That one has a better monster. And then the hidden side did another lab w/out the monster.

The vampire one is pretty good. Again, the original vampire from the movies sets was better. But the rest of the monster fighters one is cool with a hearse. A lego hearse!

The zombies one is pretty rare as it was Target only.

Ghost train is kinda butt.

The werewolf one is ok.

I kinda like the mummy set w/ the skeletal horse chariot.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Waltzing Along posted:

The castle is decent. It was pretty much remade in hidden side last year and had one print run then gone.

The Haunted House is clearly the crown jewel.

Total Addams Family vibes

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Results coming today!

https://twitter.com/legoideas/status/1357270174936743937

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Adding to the space talk...sort of.

Playing with my son I decided to rebuild my Radon Rover for my lego fig to drive around in. He was immediately smitten, specifically the colors. So he wanted to build the same thing, but I didn't have the parts for that. :(
So we leafed through my thick book of manuals and landed on The Cosmic Creeper. So we built that together for his fig. And then added some more lights and computers. Can never have to much of those things.
"Dad, why don't they make Lego like this anymore? These things are awesome! Look at the colors and windows!"
:shrug:

I also rebuilt the Beta Buzzer, which was another big hit. Maybe I should rebuild the sonic stinger.

I was never a big fan of the Insectoids. It was near my dark ages, which probably didn't help. But it also feels like they did a little too many gimmicks in there. With big pieces, big lights. But hot drat those wings and those eyeballs are so sexy. And those legs, while useless still give it a very own feel. It's neat.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Hoping the Hocus Pocus set or the Windmill wins but it’ll likely be the Safe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m here for the Windmill, the Exploratorium (that’s an absolute pipe dream though), the calendar, or Discworld.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
If windmill got the same treatment as blacksmith I'd be interested in it. But looking at that list there's nothing else that really tickles me. If they did the animal crossing one I'd get that for my partner.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Earth posted:

If windmill got the same treatment as blacksmith I'd be interested in it. But looking at that list there's nothing else that really tickles me. If they did the animal crossing one I'd get that for my partner.

Yeah, Windmill really needs the blacksmith treatment. Existing model looks like it'd be really fragile/hard to move.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Discworld is cool but means they would have to aquire a license. I'd love it though.

Safe and calender are more likely, but neither are a buy for me.

I also like the Trabbi or colorful version of the BMW, but again license.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Starry night and that is all. Not surprised, they have such a backlog.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopper posted:

Discworld is cool but means they would have to aquire a license. I'd love it though.

That would absolutely not be a problem.

EDIT: aw, ok. Starry Night won. Welp, you can at least integrate an 11th Doctor figure too.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 4, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Scipiotik posted:

Starry night and that is all. Not surprised, they have such a backlog.
Also Green Hill Zone:

quote:

Sonic Mania: Green Hill Zone
The review board has given Viv Grannell's (aka toastergrl on LEGO Ideas) Sonic Mania - Green Hill Zone the green light. We're excited to collaborate with SEGA and Viv to bring one of the most iconic game characters and brands to life via LEGO bricks on the basis of Viv's colourful and fun creation. Congrats Viv!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Starry night, huh? I thought this batch set kind of a low bar and yet I'm still disappointed, yikes. Green Hill Zone is a nice consolation prize, though!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I did bags 19 and 20 of Ninjago Gardens last night, and I know I'm nearing the end.

I had my first missing piece of the set happen, and it's sadly one of the giant teal chevrons on the tower.

Overall I'm still liking the set, but I think I'm going to go in and modify some of the sub-build connections. A few of the sections, including the entire fourth level, don't have any studs connecting them to lower levels. This bit me last night with the tower, which only uses gravity to keep the section above the secret clubhouse in place. I picked up the fourth floor section last night after finishing the tower and the whole top toppled over. Thankfully it came back together in just a couple of minutes.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Carbohydrates posted:

Starry night, huh? I thought this batch set kind of a low bar and yet I'm still disappointed, yikes. Green Hill Zone is a nice consolation prize, though!

The submitted version looks like poo poo tbh but I imagine with a complete rework they can do a lot better. I think it'll end up as something wall hangable rather than whatever the submission is supposed to be.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The next batch of reviews looks fairly dull. The mystery shack is cool and I love the Viking village but a lot of them are weird.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

The next batch of reviews looks fairly dull. The mystery shack is cool and I love the Viking village but a lot of them are weird.

Yeah, there's some really weird ones in there.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It would be good if they'd do a preliminary pass before going into the longer review stage where they just immediately shitcan the obviously terrible/inappropriate/clashing sets so they don't give the submitters false hope, and streamline the process a bit

I guess with stuff like the colosseum though I assume that ideas project was started and submitted well before the official set was ever rumoured, so in theory there could be a situation where a set would never be considered because they're internally working on a very similar model but to shitcan an otherwise good suggestion would give that away

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
31 Minutos

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

It's up

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Starry night looks neat. Not my cup of tea but if they have an ear as a GWP I’m in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

For the next round, there are some givens straight off the bat:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Why is the Hobbit hole out? Previous use of the IP? Thought it was one of the better ones. Garbage truck too similar to lego produced model?

Car Wash out cause they won't really do fan modulars?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Why is the Hobbit hole out? Previous use of the IP? Thought it was one of the better ones. Garbage truck too similar to lego produced model?

Car Wash out cause they won't really do fan modulars?

They've already done Bag End once, and probably would pass on revisiting it for newer ideas.

Garbage Truck seems too simple for them. And you're correct about fan modulars. Also I think it's too similar to the Diner.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

For the next round, there are some givens straight off the bat:

wrong

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I actually think a few of those are pretty good. I'd love that greco-roman warship. This time around the Appa actually looks pretty good too, and since it's surfaced before maybe they'll note the interest. Lighthouse also looks dope.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The fact that one even got 10,000 makes me wonder about the existence of voting bots.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think someone did some digging and it was just a matter of a bit of powerful niche social media facebook group thing.

The Among Us one hit 10k stupidly fast IIRC. While certainly in the zeitgeist, it definitely seemed like a matter of the right people drawing attention to it or something.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What is going on with some of these new submissions? That taekwondo game looks like crap. And the MRI model...it's good-hearted, I guess?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Green Hill Zone looks like fun too

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mameluke posted:

What is going on with some of these new submissions? That taekwondo game looks like crap. And the MRI model...it's good-hearted, I guess?

It's because getting 10,000 votes is based on spamming social media and getting nostalgic megafans to hit the vote button. I understand why Lego raised the vote requirement but it's rigged the system so only certain topics will get attention.

It'd be a huge amount of work for Lego but a better system would be for them to manually filter submissions internally and only let us vote on stuff that passes a cursory quality/acceptability threshold.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Oxyclean posted:

I think someone did some digging and it was just a matter of a bit of powerful niche social media facebook group thing.

The Among Us one hit 10k stupidly fast IIRC. While certainly in the zeitgeist, it definitely seemed like a matter of the right people drawing attention to it or something.

Which niche social media facebook group did the voting? Asking for a saccharide.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s made me realise how quickly Among Us fell out of pop culture. I can’t remember the last time I saw a meme for it now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Which niche social media facebook group did the voting? Asking for a saccharide.
At this point i'm kinda just telephone gaming, but I swear it came up in this thread, like some popular taekwondo instructor in some European country.

xzzy posted:

It's because getting 10,000 votes is based on spamming social media and getting nostalgic megafans to hit the vote button. I understand why Lego raised the vote requirement but it's rigged the system so only certain topics will get attention.

It'd be a huge amount of work for Lego but a better system would be for them to manually filter submissions internally and only let us vote on stuff that passes a cursory quality/acceptability threshold.
I think there's an unfortunate truth that nostalgic fans mashing the button tend to translate to nostalgic fans buying that thing they know.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Cockblocktopus posted:

Green Hill Zone looks like fun too

If they can pull that off with a minimum of, or no stickers I'd definitely get it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Prophet of Nixon posted:

If they can pull that off with a minimum of, or no stickers I'd definitely get it.

Has there been an ideas set yet with stickers?

I'm curious to see if they'll rework it at all. Right now the set has like, interlocking level tiles:

But I wonder if they'll really focus on this idea, (it's kind of similar in spirit to the mario stuff) or just make it more of a diorama/single set piece around the Egg Robo and Sonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The palm tree is rear end (even though it's somewhat accurate) but as soon as my brain registered the springboard it made a BOOING noise in my mind