Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

They probably put mushrooms in it for the umani hit and depth of flavour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah thick soups can sometimes end up with weird color. I've made some chana dal soup before, which has the nice yellowish color of a lot of dal soups. I then added some crushed tomato and it turned a rather putrid orange color.

I don't know how dark the kitchen basics veggie stock is, but I know that the veggie stock better than bouillon is also somewhat dark.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Better than Bouillon also does vegetarian "no chicken" and "no beef" bases. Fake chicken is good, haven't tried fake beef.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Eat This Glob posted:

Mushrooms aren't a vegetable though, dammit!

This is insane, dude. Would you get upset if you ordered veggie fried rice and it had mushrooms in it?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

prayer group posted:

This is insane, dude. Would you get upset if you ordered veggie fried rice and it had mushrooms in it?

It was fake indignation lol

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I'm sure HelloFresh and such is considered cheating, but it's gotten me more recipes and things to try, so I've been really happy with it (and if anything sucks, I have a little bag of ingredients for whatever).

Today's dish has roasted potatoes and zucchini, neither of which I'm a fan of, so I'm going to make an attempt at potato-zucchini hashbrowns instead. Wish me luck.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pro starcraft loser posted:

I'm sure HelloFresh and such is considered cheating, but it's gotten me more recipes and things to try, so I've been really happy with it (and if anything sucks, I have a little bag of ingredients for whatever).

Today's dish has roasted potatoes and zucchini, neither of which I'm a fan of, so I'm going to make an attempt at potato-zucchini hashbrowns instead. Wish me luck.

Good luck. Report back. God be with you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Trying out HelloFresh for a few weeks got me to try farro and kohlrabi and other ingredients that I keep meaning to try but never got around to

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My wife did a month of field work in the Florida Keys which meant the closest grocery store was 45 minutes away. I sent her the two week trial for each Hello Fresh and Blue Apron and she liked them both well enough for that situation. I could see doing that now with the pandemic and the baby but we have a long backlog of recipes to try so not yet!

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

therattle posted:

Good luck. Report back. God be with you.

So not a total disaster but drat.

1. Make sure you have a grater before you set your mind on hash browns.
2. When in doubt, use less egg.

I had basically a chunky rear end egg fritter which didn't cook evenly.

But the sauce was good!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

My wife did a month of field work in the Florida Keys which meant the closest grocery store was 45 minutes away. I sent her the two week trial for each Hello Fresh and Blue Apron and she liked them both well enough for that situation. I could see doing that now with the pandemic and the baby but we have a long backlog of recipes to try so not yet!

We hit it hard a year ago when food at grocery stores was super unpredictable and delivery was booked out a week in advance. Even with all that a Hello Fresh box was on the doorstep every monday like clockwork. Generally I like them, they're generally pretty tasty. We've done Blue Apron and enjoyed that too. There's one with Chef in the name that we didn't care for.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've been buying avocado like crazy, but I've only been seasoning it and eating it raw or slathering it on rice. Any suggestions for easy avocado additions to recipes? Does avocado mix will with marinating red meat? I often find myself with cheap steak or bison in my freezer.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Blue Labrador posted:

I've been buying avocado like crazy, but I've only been seasoning it and eating it raw or slathering it on rice. Any suggestions for easy avocado additions to recipes? Does avocado mix will with marinating red meat? I often find myself with cheap steak or bison in my freezer.

Never tried it myself but avocado is basically "nature's butter" so maybe mash some up and make a compound avocado "butter" to top your red meat. It won't melt like compound butter, but the avocado flavor is neutral enough that it would let whatever flavorings you add to it shine through with each bite of meat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've yet to find a recipe that calls for mayo that hasn't been improved by substituting avocado, e.g. egg salad sandwich.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Avocado will turn extremely black extremely fast unless you hit it with some acid. This may impinge on your marination efforts.

Avocados have been a staple in my house my entire life, but I don't really cool with them. Rather, they're part of breakfast sprinkled with lime and salt, or they go in guacamole, or something like that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Yeah, cooking with avos seems weird to me. In South Africa where I grew up they always came into season around Passover, so we would eat mashed avo with S&P on matzah. So good.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

avocado is one of the best fried foods ever

Vietnamese avocado shakes "Sinh tố bơ" are decadent

If you're doing a lot of meat, instead of marinades you can do a nice green avocado sauce on top. Doesn't have the blackening issue mentioned earlier.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I find cooked avocado completely nauseating, and I can’t bear it. Raw, it’s lovely, but something about the texture really puts me off when it’s hot.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I mash my avocado on top of sourdough toast for breakfast to own the olds.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BrianBoitano posted:

avocado is one of the best fried foods ever

Vietnamese avocado shakes "Sinh tố bơ" are decadent

If you're doing a lot of meat, instead of marinades you can do a nice green avocado sauce on top. Doesn't have the blackening issue mentioned earlier.

I make avocado sauce all the time, and it works just as well with frozen avocado (it just turns out a bit rusty). Avocado chunks, water, some citrus, some salt, and something spicy. poo poo I'm literally eating some of it right now on a bowl full of leftover taco meat beans and rice.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Democratic Pirate posted:

I mash my avocado on top of sourdough toast for breakfast to own the olds.

I don’t do this and now I have a house

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I find cooked avocado completely nauseating, and I can’t bear it. Raw, it’s lovely, but something about the texture really puts me off when it’s hot.

Aye. Likewise.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I find your lack of soap de mayas confusing.

In other news I had a chicken parm yesterday that cured me of several days of depression from being snowed in alone. Magic.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i was jonesing for bruschetta for dinner tonight so i went to the grocery store as one does after jumping in their pandemic tyvek suit. i was out of balsamic and the cashier reached for the 500 ml bottle and knocked it to the ground. it wasn't terribly expensive stuff, but that smell is gonna linger for a bit, i bet. im sorry it wasn't apple sauce or something :(

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Every time I come across this, I feel the need to share it again

https://i.imgur.com/9qhxy8m.mp4

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

there used to be a really complicated, "ultimate" beef stroganoff recipe kicking around gws. I want to say it was like heston blumenthal or something, complicated but worth it. anyone know it?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

there used to be a really complicated, "ultimate" beef stroganoff recipe kicking around gws. I want to say it was like heston blumenthal or something, complicated but worth it. anyone know it?

Keller? https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/ad-hoc-beef-stroganoff-52594801

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

yup that's it, thank you!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Heston blumenthal has that chili recipes where it takes 3 days and you make stock 3 times and use like 25# of meat

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BrianBoitano posted:

That's fantastic, thank you. Fingat still not healed because it refuses to bleed and thus no platelets.

I hate those, I always end up supergluing them shut so I quit catching the flap on stuff.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I did that with Second Skin and not only did it not help but it melted a bit of my dinner table's varnish in the 0.5 seconds between dripping off and trying to clean it up. Good thing my cats and infant are already destroying all furniture!

It has healed by now, though I have an extra flap of skin I'm tempted to excise

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

BrianBoitano posted:

It has healed by now, though I have an extra flap of skin I'm tempted to excise

Just pull your mandolin out again

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Enfys posted:

Just pull your mandolin out again

Play the blood tune.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What happened with the name change? I completely disagree with that advice. When in doubt, you should use more egg.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I bought some square spaghetti. I think I like it a lot better than round spaghetti. Thoughts on it? Are there recipes you favor/disfavor it for?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still haven't decided on what to make my girl for Valentine's Day. Was thinking of sous vide salmon with béarnaise or hollandaise (internet seems divided on this one), or maybe duck of some sort. Suggestions?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Our plan is to eat some smash burgers and fried cheese curds and pass out on the couch watching something terrible.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Rude to ruin his girl's appetite like that

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Our plan is to eat some smash burgers and fried cheese curds and pass out on the couch watching something terrible.

Smashburgs are her standing birthday dinner request. She rarely eats beef, so that's a once year treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

When you remember red cabbage is a pH indicator :)