Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
doesn’t really matter imo if it drains really well. we’ve even just had them naked inside of terracotta before. also a good option is to have one kind of pot simply hiding inside of something pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I prefer plastic

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Orchid goons: terra cotta or slotted plastic? This is for a basic Trader Joe’s phalaenopsis

Doesn't really matter so long as it drains well. That sphagnum moss they come in makes it real easy to accidentally get root rot. Re-pot with some "orchid potting bark" and it shouldn't matter what type of pot you use so long as it has at least one drainage hole. I've also had phalaenopsis' just sitting out with bare roots on an empty pot or a plate for years without any issue.

If you use terracotta, the roots have a tendency to stick to the clay as they grow, so it makes re-potting a bit annoying down the line. But phalaenopsis are tough buggers, you can just rip them off of the old clay pot when re-potting and trim all the broken roots and they'll do fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
was this posted here yet?

https://youtu.be/lFue9BEHvX8

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i enjoyed the comments as a new plant caretaker

speaking of, i'm starting with a pothos because last time i tried raising a plant, it was a fern and died very quickly

it's grown a new leaf!

my ambition is transfer cuttings to new pots and just overgrow my apartment with the devil's ivy, but i dunno how realistic that is

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Crusader posted:

speaking of, i'm starting with a pothos because last time i tried raising a plant, it was a fern and died very quickly

it's grown a new leaf!

my ambition is transfer cuttings to new pots and just overgrow my apartment with the devil's ivy, but i dunno how realistic that is

I have a pothos that I stuck on top of my kitchen cupboards for 4 years and probably watered maybe three times? We moved and it got taken down and now it's a meter long again... I swear you can't kill them.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Crusader posted:

It's pretty realistic. I have one that is growing up the wall in my hallway that gets a paltry amount of light from an east-facing window that it is near but not in front of. It still grows faster than anything else in my house except maybe the papyrus in my living room (which is in a south-facing window with grow lights above it). I took some cuttings off the pothos about a month ago because it was dragging along the floor and one of the vines I took a cutting off of has already made it back down.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Crusader posted:

it's grown a new leaf!

I highly recommend spider plants for rapid propagation, and super duper hardiness too. They don't handle frost or sitting out in the direct sun too well, but they handle soggy roots and oops I forgot to water them for 2weeks to a month (once established). They also just send out runners that develop baby plants. You just pin down the baby to a new starter pot, and let it grow roots before cutting it off the mother plant, or let it chill, hanging out on the runner. It will eventually develop a bunch of aerial roots, and start storing water in them. At that point, you can just cut it off the mother, and stick it in some soil somewhere, and bammo, new plant. I bought one in 2005, and after giving away as many as I can to as many people as will take them, I still have several dozen. You in Canada? I'll trade you some baby spider plants for some pothos cuttings in the spring. Or just send you some. Could even mail you a monstera deliciosa cutting then too. (offer good for anyone in Canada who wants to swap cuttings or has a hankerin' for variegated spider plants. Drop me a reply or pm.)

Also:

BWahahahahaha! That's great. Thanks for sharing.

Alexandra Anele (the video creator's sister, who also does YT vids) in the comments posted:

My plants are killin it, who are you even

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 23, 2021

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Orchid goons: terra cotta or slotted plastic? This is for a basic Trader Joe’s phalaenopsis

Use a clear plastic pot and drill/melt some extra holes into the side. If you have to ask about watering schedule you'll benefit from being able to see how moist and green the roots are and can adjust watering so they're dry briefly in-between.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm trying to grow a choko vine in the prime spot in my garden

Always failed previously due to insufficient sun

Things Gunna get Viney soon

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Are you not worried that they're going to vine all over all the other plants you have situated there?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jhet posted:

Are you not worried that they're going to vine all over all the other plants you have situated there?

This happens to me every loving time I vine. Carolina Jasmine is so pretty, but then it starts eating my japanese magnolia and spirea. My vinier roses just get all over loving everything. My long beans were about to take over my okra. Beware the vine!

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Jestery posted:

I'm trying to grow a choko vine in the prime spot in my garden

Always failed previously due to insufficient sun

Things Gunna get Viney soon

Whoa, are you using styrofoam coolers?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
anybody have experience with Dollar Tree seed boxes and “[plant] rocket” seed plugs? Thinking of grabbing some wildflower seeds before spring, and at a buck a box they definitely beat the prices I saw last year from places like Amazon. They’re “American Seed” brand. As for the rockets, I saw some herb and flower ones that say they’re good indoors, figured I might shove some in some spare windowsill planters I have kicking around and see what happens?

suck my woke dick posted:

Use a clear plastic pot and drill/melt some extra holes into the side. If you have to ask about watering schedule you'll benefit from being able to see how moist and green the roots are and can adjust watering so they're dry briefly in-between.

Yup. After much hemming+hawing I decided that visibility was a good thing to have as a new orchid keeper so I repurposed some deli cups.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Jhet posted:

I keep a pretty good eye on that section of my garden, and even if it does get a bit wild , choko vines shoots are edible, and respond well to a prune

I had some cucamelons and tomatoes there previously that took over everything.I figure one choko won't be unmanageable.

The other stuff is herbs that can take a bit of shade too

Here is a photo of the same area over run by tomates and vine cucumbers

Earth posted:

Whoa, are you using styrofoam coolers?

Yeah, I live near a bunch of fruit and veg shops and fish mongers who just give them away for free

Easy high volume (20-50 L) planters, it's pretty great, I got 6 of them to grow my kangkong and it's more than I can eat. And you can add holes in the bottom/side depending on the plants preference for swampy conditions

You can see the kangkong on the left here

I've done potatoes in them to great effect before, and they are a regular size so it's easy to slide things line a sokoban instead of trying to lift tens of kilos of dirt
Good fun

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I have a bunch of yard plants that may need to become houseplants in the next few months. Things I would want to keep include: Hibiscuses, Roses (double knock out if it matters), and a bunch of herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary). All of these are pretty small (nothing more than two feet tall), and they're already living on containers. How reasonable would it be to keep these inside? How much lighting am I going to need for them? What other things am I probably going to do wrong?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Cowwan posted:

I have a bunch of yard plants that may need to become houseplants in the next few months. Things I would want to keep include: Hibiscuses, Roses (double knock out if it matters), and a bunch of herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary). All of these are pretty small (nothing more than two feet tall), and they're already living on containers. How reasonable would it be to keep these inside? How much lighting am I going to need for them? What other things am I probably going to do wrong?

If they're already in containers you can probably do this, just be careful about watering (with less light they will need less water). I think you may have difficulty giving the roses enough light to keep them happy unless you have somewhere intensely sunny to put them. Hibiscus does fine even in shade IIRC but they won't flower if they don't get enough light.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is artificial grow lighting unreasonable for meeting the needs of roses in wintertime?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Roses typically go dormant so they probably won’t like being indoors all the time.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

well today i discovered that pothos is not a fan of hanging out near black lights

lost the variegated part of one leaf to sunscald from the uv light - it’s supposed to be close to 400nm (e.g. almost normal visible violet) so i figured it would be fine

it was not

gonna try raising the damaged leaf on its own in water since it’s been photon barraged by my stupidity

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Just put my order in at DutchBulb's and Breck's for the spring. Getting a handful of different flowers and plants. Feels good to get that order placed so now I can think about other stuff that needs getting done.

Now I'm waiting for my espalier pear tree to come back in stock and I check every day, but nothing yet. Here's hoping soon I can get one ordered.

EDIT:

Here's my order list from DutchBulbs:
1 70764 ASTILBE HAPPY SPIRIT 03/15/21-03/29/21
1 69875 TRADESCANTIA MERLOT CLUSTERS 03/15/21-03/29/21
1 89398 DOUBLE ASIATIC LILY APRICOT FUDGE 03/15/21-03/29/21
1 80233 GIANT HYBRID LILY ORANGE PLANET 03/15/21-03/29/21
1 88720 HARDY GROUND ORCHID MIX (BLETILLA STRIATA) 03/15/21-03/29/21
1 06053 PEONY 'BLACK BEAUTY' 03/15/21-03/29/21
1 73234 SIBERIAN IRIS SO VAN GOGH 03/15/21-03/29/21
1 69766 LILY LIONHEART 03/15/21-03/29/21
1 89460 HEUCHERA GEORGIA PEACH 03/15/21-03/29/21
1 01729 LOUISIANA IRIS BLACK GAMECOCK 03/15/21-03/29/21
1 69649 ASTILBE MOJITO 03/15/21-03/29/21

Here's my order list from Breck's:
1 64758 EXOTIC COLOR HOSTA COLLECTION 03/15/21-03/29/21
1 85201 JAPANESE BOTTLEBRUSH 03/29/21-04/12/21

I hope that they all grow! Total price just a little under $260.

Earth fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 25, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
My monstera adansonii continues to get yellow leaves. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong at this point. They’re all the most basal leaves, so I wonder if it’s a nutrient issue (vining plants like this will apparently purge basal leaves to save nutrients for driving growth and searching for more favorable conditions). I’m ready to repot and stake it up.

Such a bummer I loving love this plant and it’s gotten huge here, but also kind of gangly. I’ll be super pissed if I end up losing a majority or all of it.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Roses typically go dormant so they probably won’t like being indoors all the time.

Well in that case I guess they won't like being outdoors either :v: Florida doesn't have much of a cold season.

Wallet posted:

If they're already in containers you can probably do this, just be careful about watering (with less light they will need less water). I think you may have difficulty giving the roses enough light to keep them happy unless you have somewhere intensely sunny to put them. Hibiscus does fine even in shade IIRC but they won't flower if they don't get enough light.

I think I can work with that. I should be able to find sort of balcony or somewhere outside to put my two rose bushes wherever I end up moving. It's reassuring that I have a lot of space between not flowering and dying with the hibiscuses.

Thanks for the input

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Got some new start spider plants, Xmas cactus cuttings, and some various moss I wanted to try keeping in high humidity, and wanted to lift the humidity in my cave during chilly weather. I set this up with an ultrasonic humidifier to experiment

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Big camellia post-it’s prime camellia season right now and it’s so neat to see them doing great in otherwise neglected yards all around town. Japanese magnolias, red maples, and oriental cherries are all starting to bloom, so I guess it’s spring-ish now.

Here’s a frickin’ ‘uge camellia I saw around the corner. Not a great picture, but it’s like 20’ tall:

This is one of many camellias my great-grandfather bred. My great uncle air layered it for me last summer and it’s doing great. He couldn’t find the tag on the plant so nobody knows what it’s called, but the flowers are gigantic.

Someone remind me in June to air layer a bunch of poo poo.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Big camellia post-it’s prime camellia season right now and it’s so neat to see them doing great in otherwise neglected yards all around town. Japanese magnolias, red maples, and oriental cherries are all starting to bloom, so I guess it’s spring-ish now.

We just got 8 inches of snow. I envy your spring and your camellias.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I have a few houseplants in my kitchen. They do ok, but they dont really get any natural light because my windows have a UV coating(no idea if it works). I have a flourescent light that i leave on 100% of the time. Is that enough light for an indoor succulent garden if i wanted to start one?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Depends on how you're setting it up. Light intensity from grow lights falls off exponentially, so it might be fine, say, right under it on a counter, but not if it's farther away.

You also might need to set up a timer instead, because I'm not sure if they would appreciate 100% light uptime

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

ZombieCrew posted:

I have a few houseplants in my kitchen. They do ok, but they dont really get any natural light because my windows have a UV coating(no idea if it works). I have a flourescent light that i leave on 100% of the time. Is that enough light for an indoor succulent garden if i wanted to start one?
It's really impossible to say how much your light is doing without knowing how far away it is and what bulb is in it. Light drops off very quickly with distance.

When you're buying or evaluating a grow light you'll want to look for the PAR/PPF/PPFD, though a lot of companies misuse these acronyms in ways that make it extra confusing.

A quick primer based on my understanding (which could be wrong—someone please correct me):

PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density) measures how much plant-usable light actually reaches a plant's surface at a given distance away from the fixture in μMol/m2/s (micromoles per square meter per second).

PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) is actually just the wavelengths of light that are plant-usable but companies often report PPFD as PAR—if you see PAR in μMol/m2/s that's what it is.

PPF (Photosynthetic Photon Flux) is measuring the total PAR/PPFD of a fixture in μMol/s, which you'd mostly only be interested in for energy efficiency reasons.

Knowing a fixture has 113.3 PPFD at 8 inches away is kind of useless without some context. In the outdoors where plants normally grow full (summer) sun at noon is somewhere in the 800-1500 PAR range, and shade is in the 500-900 range. Obviously there's some ramp up/down for the sun that doesn't exist with a grow light.

Nosre posted:

You also might need to set up a timer instead, because I'm not sure if they would appreciate 100% light uptime

Yeah, they're not going to love that. Plants need to rest too! 14 hours a day is usually what I see recommended, which has worked in my experience. You can get outlet timers really cheap (like, 5$ a pop or something?) on Amazon or wherever.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 3, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm starting to dabble a bit in aquatic plants, and I keep seeing a lot lower times suggested. As low as 6 hours/day, and the longest I've heard is 12. Must be something to do with algae control I guess.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Wallet has the good info.

But... I’ve used generic LED shop lights in the daylight spectrum for a few years now. They don’t grow quite as well as they might with special LED grow lights, but I’ve had a jungle of peppers in my basement since September. I have them set to 12h cycle right now, and I could have made it shorter, but I wanted to eat them.

They do need to still live right under the lights, as the zone doesn’t stay bright outside a small angle away. So don’t be afraid of trying a cheaper option if you aren’t sure you want to spring for the more expensive stuff. When I bought them, they were about $8 per 3’ light. Good price for a trial and maybe you find you don’t need the sunlight lamps. I’d go with LED though, I hate dealing with the fluorescent bulbs and I don’t expect them to start to die for another 7-8 years.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

B33rChiller posted:

I'm starting to dabble a bit in aquatic plants, and I keep seeing a lot lower times suggested. As low as 6 hours/day, and the longest I've heard is 12. Must be something to do with algae control I guess.

You got it! General advise to prevent algae is also to run in two blocks because plants don't care but algae has a harder time - i.e. 4 hours on, 2 off, then on 4 hours again. Buy the cheap $5 Amazon timers for this if you don't have big fancy Bluetooth aquarium lights.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jhet posted:

But... I’ve used generic LED shop lights in the daylight spectrum for a few years now. They don’t grow quite as well as they might with special LED grow lights, but I’ve had a jungle of peppers in my basement since September. I have them set to 12h cycle right now, and I could have made it shorter, but I wanted to eat them.

If it works it works :shrug:. I've had a bunch of the GE bulbs in my living room for a while and they seem to work well but they are $$$.

I just put a bunch of much less expensive Barrina LEDs (the smaller ones without the reflectors) in some shelf things I just finished building to hold more plants, but I dunno if they'll work for poo poo yet. Here's hoping.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The light they put out is fundamentally similar, but sometimes shop lights are just impractical. Horticultural lamps put out a lot more light for a fixture of the same size, and they tend to be more power efficient because they’re on so much of the day, every day.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Oh, absolutely. You always have space issues, coverage issues, and is it enough for the plants at that height issues. I just don’t want people to get discouraged by price tags instead of just trying and adjusting. It’s so easy to try to be perfect when our grandparents would just try something and put it in a different window if it didn’t like the first one.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Starting to get real antsy for spring. Winter has been harsh on the garden and there’s been lots of deer and critter pressure this year (American smoke tree probably dead bc something moved a bunch of big rocks just to dig it up and I was out of town for the weekend, so who knows how long the roots were exposed to air). can’t even spray because it rains like every other day. My gardening boner withereth. Thus, I spent a couple hundred on wire fence for next winter >:]

Looking forward to going to this in a couple weeks: http://www.pineknotfarms.com/upcoming-events/

If there’s one thing those deer motherfuckers have left alone it’s been the hellebores and the ferns, so I’m about to Load Up for the shade garden, hopefully grab some galanthus too

Plant Delights open house is around the corner too and that’ll be fun; they’ve got some cool new poo poo at *somewhat* decent prices for once, like a badass tree dahlia (Dahlia imperialis) that will work out perfectly for the front garden, which doesn’t get owned by wildlife on the reg

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

Plant Delights open house is around the corner too and that’ll be fun; they’ve got some cool new poo poo at *somewhat* decent prices for once, like a badass tree dahlia (Dahlia imperialis) that will work out perfectly for the front garden, which doesn’t get owned by wildlife on the reg
I just placed an order with them for the spring with some crazy Arisaema (at $38 a plant :shobon:) in it that my mother is really excited about. Every time I go on their site they've got new cool poo poo—I can only imagine how amazing their greenhouses are.

I'm guessing you've never ordered from Pine Knot via mail given you're close to them? I only have one little patch of my yard that's shade instead of full sun and I was thinking about getting some Hellebores from them since I can't talk myself into paying anyone else's prices.

Also crossposting these new plant shelf things from the woodworking thread that I just finished so that I'll have more room to grow things in the frozen wintery shithole that is currently the Northeast.

Looking forward to hiding all of the flaws in my woodworking by filling them up with plants.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 4, 2021

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Oh hell yeah, the sikokianum? I wanted two of the regular kind but they’re already sold out smfh

The greenhouses are indeed a trip and the gardens are out of this world, just the weirdest plants you can imagine all crammed in with each other. it’s legit pretty amazing

Forgot to respond to you about pine knot farm. this will be my first trip to this little event and my first purchase with them, but they’ve come highly recommended by very serious plant people. their prices are incredibly low for hellebores so I say go for it, I can’t imagine that you’d get low quality product

At this point I’m just being mocked

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 5, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Buy the deer an account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

Oh hell yeah, the sikokianum? I wanted two of the regular kind but they’re already sold out smfh

Those are them, yeah. They apparently don't offset and you need two if you want them to seed :sweatdrop:. She lives up in the woods and she's been growing some of the native species, hopefully they'll like it there. Also had to order some of this weird Orostachys hybrid.